Question about Howe

EmineNce-

I love it when a poster responds to a post or POV they don't necessarily agree with, in this manner.

It earns respect.

"is an interesting stat isn't it?"

Bruce does this doesn't he?

• Like 1

I loved Robbo.

My point was though that Howe's ceiling is higher than that if he wants to get there.

But, and some of you will disagree, he has to get out of the way of Clark, Dawes, and Hogan and go through the middle and be a damaging high half forward that hits the man, the scoreboard, and the three previously mentioned players in a forward line that doesn't need a 190cm FF.

• Like 2

I loved Robbo.

My point was though that Howe's ceiling is higher than that if he wants to get there.

But, and some of you will disagree, he has to get out of the way of Clark, Dawes, and Hogan and go through the middle and be a damaging high half forward that hits the man, the scoreboard, and the three previously mentioned players in a forward line that doesn't need a 190cm FF.

I agree with your basic premise rpfc

However will those three ever be on the ground together?

Two of the three are injury prone I reckon that combination might happen 20% of the time max.

is an interesting stat isn't it?

He is the 12th most games played for the club, but of that 12 only 2 debuted pre 1986 (flower and Dixon).

He is 3rd in goals, similar in goals and games to one of the greats, G Lyon, but most of us would say Lyon was restricted by injury.

Of the top 9 goal kickers, I'd suggest he was the only full time career forward (apart from fanning who kicked 400 in 100 games, and norm Smith) who didn't move around the park.

He battled strongly as a key forward in the 90s when he should have been the third tall which possibly restricted hos output at times.

I think the biggest problem is he is remembered for not chasing, for not keeping his feet and not doing the team things at times, particularly towards the end of his career, rather than kicking goals. In Robbos case he was a great player but to be recognised as a champion of the club, he need to do those things as well to be a true champion of the club.

edit: spelling

I remember my old man yelling at Barry Vagg to get off his armchair and chase an opponent in 1963.....I know it is a different game now days....When Robbo played it was not so much expected until at the end of his career....(chasing opps)

Call me old fashioned ( go on you know you all want to ^_^ ) but I see Howe in what would be mid way between the HFF and Wing..( we remember the wings dont we ?? lol ) . That area. Space to play in, largesse to run on etc. This allows him to play on towards goal if opportunity or to do as many might like smack it on the chest of our forwards.

Hes not a mid and hes stifled in the forward line

Harsh on Robbo. Its easy to forget how good he was in his prime. A matchup nightmare for opposition teams, and a match winner. Its his final years that have tainted his image. The game simply changed and he could not. I would love another Robbo. A younger one who could learn defensive pressure.

Rupturing his Achilles Tendon didn't help!

I remember my old man yelling at Barry Vagg to get off his armchair and chase an opponent in 1963.....I know it is a different game now days....When Robbo played it was not so much expected until at the end of his career....(chasing opps)

I could be offended by that comment! LOL

Call me old fashioned ( go on you know you all want to ^_^ ) but I see Howe in what would be mid way between the HFF and Wing..( we remember the wings dont we ?? lol ) . That area. Space to play in, largesse to run on etc. This allows him to play on towards goal if opportunity or to do as many might like smack it on the chest of our forwards.

Hes not a mid and hes stifled in the forward line

You're not suggesting Howe should play high half forward are you Bub? Revolutionary idea! :lol:

• Like 2

You're not suggesting Howe should play high half forward are you Bub? Revolutionary idea! :lol:

in the vein of Vicar of Dibley..

no no no no no no.. ( well some know what comes next )

• Like 2

Howe only seems to step up when the team's playing well, as a forward anyway (He got a lot of the ball when we played Essendon and Freo in defence and did ok). Needs to assert his authority on the game a lot more especially when playing good sides. He was in our best 2-3 players in the first half of the season but not so sure now. He kicked 3.3 against Gold Coast and 4.1 against GWS (the first time), he needs to do that against better teams

Howe is a frustrating type. We love him for his skills obviously, and he's quick, courageous and now kicks a good set shot. He significantly lacks physical presence though, and gets pushed off the ball, past the ball and is shepherded/obstructed from the ball way too easily. It's not about absolute strength he lacks, it's about how well he imposes what he does have, and the physical teams just lock him out of the game. Unless he grows this part of his repertoire, he will continue to be that spectacular but bit-part player.

• Like 1

For such a natural leap it would be fantastic to see him get enough delivery into our forward line to learn how to avoid being blocked. Maybe if he played and stayed deep when Hogan Dawes and Clarke led out there may be better opportunities for him.

I still reckon a rotating forward line with those three constantly moving forward and back could provide attacking options that would be very difficult to defend.

Needs someone like Watts kicking precisely tho

Makes you realise why you go to the footy....

and Garry Lyon gets the Bailey's ladder award in perpetuity !! :)

Rubbish again today.

Can't for the life of me work out when we are so desperate for midfielders why Howe plays deep forward unable to get a kick when he has the endurance to play on a wing.

Back to Casey next week.

• Like 1

Rubbish again today.

Can't for the life of me work out when we are so desperate for midfielders why Howe plays deep forward unable to get a kick when he has the endurance to play on a wing.

Back to Casey next week.

Trade. JH & JW. Get a good pick at least from that. Neither are elite talents and they cannot or will not play a footsoldier's role.

Therefore = excess to requirements.

Rubbish again today.Can't for the life of me work out when we are so desperate for midfielders why Howe plays deep forward unable to get a kick when he has the endurance to play on a wing. Back to Casey next week.

Thought he was just okay but has a lot of work to do to add some versatility to his game, especially now that sides have worked him out and don't give him any run at the ball.

I'd much rather persevere with Howe than Watts.

Seems to have been disinterested for most of the season. Lots of negative body language and even the hangers he is famous for have disappeared. I would put him in a more accountable role for a while looking after an opponent to see if it helps him regain focus.

If we could get a first round pick for Howe, we'd be silly to knock it back.

GWS should offer that, they need some sort of excitement.

you have to be kidding, Howe is a freak of a player and never should be let go. If he looks disinterested so what, so am l and everybody else involved with the club, how many players have you seen who can take marks like this bloke? NONE, l've been watching the game forever and have never seen anyone who can take marks like this bloke, not Jezza or Robbo or Shaun Smith, no-one. You want to get rid of the one bloke who can drag supporters in when he's in form. WE NEED EXCITING PLAYERS, if l'm not mistaken 14,000 turned up today!!!!!!!

Edited by baysidedave
  • Like 1