Watts waiting on coaching appointment

Balls

It amazes me that grown ups with careers can sit behind a computer screen and judge someone who wants to make a decent decision when it comes to their career.

Can you really blame players who are worried about the state of the club? I can't.

• Like 8

Many of you have misunderstood Watts reasons. Watts was used as a scape goat and hung out to dry by Neeld. Neeld misunderstood how to get the best out of Watts. Quite frankly his treatment by Neeld was appalling. The way Neeld treated Watts makes me feel sick, it was disgusting. If I was Watts I would want to know that I did not have another coach who would regularly publically humiliate me. More importantly I would want to know that the coach woudl be someone who could devlop me and the team. Watts was rattled by Neeld. Watts has never had the on and off field support both mentaly and physically that a young number 1 draft pick requires. His development has been lacking due to our horrible culture, failure to maintain senior players and failure of the club to correctly protect a boy in a mans world. He is a significant asset that sadly we have trashed.

Watts will come good, he will become an outstanding player. If he leaves, it will be another arrow through the heart of the club..... don't sugar coat this. Another number 1 pick walking out on us could start a stampede and would further wound the mentality of our players. Watts manager has had interest from 13 clubs (I am personal friends with his direct manager and know Paul Connors as well). If he does leave we will get a very good player in return. The entire comp can see how poor Melbourne is at developing talent, the entire comp can see Watts silky skills, and his overall talent. He has a good charter, and all clubs would back themselves into making him into a star.

If he leaves I believe he is off to Carlton. MM has been his mentor and MM would make him into a champion. I get the impression that if we don't get Roo's he will walk.

Don't blame Watts, blame the club.

We must do all we can to hold Watts. I beleive he is our best player.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 6

I want Watts to stay, and I think he is an important player. But he's been a case of "will come good" from the beginning of his career, and there is nothing to support calling him the best player. He clearly isn't, and his draft number doesn't make it so.

I respect his wanting to wait, but with the bold, public statements he's made very recently about wanting to stay and wanting to be at the club when things turn around, signing on now would've been a good way to back up his words and show a bit of leadership.

At the end end of the day, does it make much difference to him as a player if its Roos, Eade or Williams? There'll be enough in the cheque account to bag at least one of them. They're all experienced coaches, so unless this is about him particularly wanting Craig to stay, I don't see it makes too much difference.

He's acting within his rights, but it doesn't alter the fact that it would've been a strong message to sign on to the club, not the coach, you claim you're committed towards.

• Like 2

Many of you have misunderstood Watts reasons. Watts was used as a scape goat and hung out to dry by Neeld. Neeld misunderstood how to get the best out of Watts. Quite frankly his treatment by Neeld was appalling. The way Neeld treated Watts makes me feel sick, it was disgusting. If I was Watts I would want to know that I did not have another coach who would regularly publically humiliate me. More importantly I would want to know that the coach woudl be someone who could devlop me and the team. Watts was rattled by Neeld. Watts has never had the on and off field support both mentaly and physically that a young number 1 draft pick requires. His development has been lacking due to our horrible culture, failure to maintain senior players and failure of the club to correctly protect a boy in a mans world. He is a significant asset that sadly we have trashed.

We must do all we can to hold Watts. I beleive he is our best player.

What about all the times, including Saturday where he was a prime leader in publicly humiliating a coach. Jack Watts made Neil Craig look like a disastrous coach on Saturday. Now I know he had almost 21 mates alongside on Saturday but how many have the talent Jack does and give so little of it.

If I was Watts I'd leave for the same reasons. I'm not doubting his right to do that. Neeld treated him poorly and I get that.

But just for once I'd like Jack to be on the front foot and man up about it. Nathan Jones (our real best player) or Col Garland of this year (one of our top 3 this season) they don't need a coach to tell them how to play.

Mick Malthouse won't publicly treat Watts like Neeld did but privately it won't be cuddles for Jack. He'll get the Yarran treatment I'm sure.

my memory isn't great, or maybe it is more of the excrement spoken around here.. but can someone enlighten me as to what exactly Neeld did to Jack Watts

I dont think Neeld actually did anything to Jack Watts... However,

In an interview with Mike Sheahan, that was aired before the sydney game, Jack Watts stated that Mark Neelds hard personality just wasnt for him.. and that he got on a lot better with Neil Craig

Unreal,is this where we slag off Watts because he is not Fijian and bag his ticker?

Sadly, he's our best player.

He is worth about 350-400 a year.

Yep. $400,000 for mine.

• Like 1

I dont think Neeld actually did anything to Jack Watts... However,

In an interview with Mike Sheahan, that was aired before the sydney game, Jack Watts stated that Mark Neelds hard personality just wasnt for him.. and that he got on a lot better with Neil Craig

Boo bloody hoo Who cares Watts either wants to play footy and play it hard to the limit of his ability or he doesnt.In the end its up to Jack. Sounds like a spoiled public schoolboy who has yet to grow up

Harden up Jack or you will be no use to any club

Boo bloody hoo Who cares Watts either wants to play footy and play it hard to the limit of his ability or he doesnt.In the end its up to Jack. Sounds like a spoiled public schoolboy who has yet to grow up

Harden up Jack or you will be no use to any club

Private school boy.

• Like 1

Private school boy.

Private school boys in Victoria are called 'public school boys' which is an anomoly. Watts went to Brighton Grammar School, a public/(Private) school whereas the local state/(Public) school, Brighton High [now Bighton Secondary] bred the tough guys such as Carl Ditterich and Jeff Moran.

Private school boys in Victoria are called 'public school boys' which is an anomoly. Watts went to Brighton Grammar School, a public/(Private) school whereas the local state/(Public) school, Brighton High [now Bighton Secondary] bred the tough guys such as Carl Ditterich and Jeff Moran.

Of course not all private schools are public schools. Only those that are members of the APS. But it's not a good predictor of being soft. Chris Langford Cyril Rioli the Scott twins Luke Ball and Dan Hannebury all went to APS schools.
  • Like 1

I'd trade watts for Yarran in a heart beat. Too much sentimentality is part of the reason we are soft.

We are soft, but you want Yarran. Why not take Betts, Garlett and Gibbs, too. We could hit peak soft.

Too many times last Saturday Watts ran away from the contest; presumably running into space to collect the loose ball that somebody else's pressure might have caused.

I've seen this too many times now. If he stays, he needs to play the game hard and get to the contest when it's his turn to go rather than playing wide. He has the skills but I'm yet to be convinced by his heart.

Stay or go? If we can get something worthwhile for him, I'd let him go. No room for passengers.

GO DEES!

Too many times last Saturday Watts ran away from the contest; presumably running into space to collect the loose ball that somebody else's pressure might have caused.

I've seen this too many times now. If he stays, he needs to play the game hard and get to the contest when it's his turn to go rather than playing wide. He has the skills but I'm yet to be convinced by his heart.

Stay or go? If we can get something worthwhile for him, I'd let him go. No room for passengers.

GO DEES!

IMO Reverend he will never do that. He is simply not that sort of player and never was that I have seen.

I think he is still worth having but at the right price whatever that is, other people will make that judgment.

If he does not like the price trade him for a good deal nothing more nothing less.

if that cannot be done then let him go into the pre season draft or whatever it is called these days.

Time for the MFC to play fair but tough.

Watts' time at Melbourne:

1. First game is played out like the second coming of Christ. He is introduced over the loudspeaker as the team runs out onto the field. He has absolutely mauled by a pack of lions.

2. He struggles to make an impact under Mr No-Accountability Bailey.

3. The club's CEO and football department cause a rift with the playing group.

4. Bailey is sacked.

5. Neeld is instated. He throws Watts down back to get easy possessions.

6. Club is belted almost every week from late-2011 to the present day.

7. Second coach in his short career is sacked.

Watts clearly has very little faith in the club, and I don't blame him. The only thing valuable about Watts is his potential, and it's more the club's fault than his. Potential is enough to get you an average league salary. Unless you're Tom Scully.

The guy wants to know who his coach will be. Why commit to a club that has failed so spectacularly to guide you through your employment? Why stay there under the uncertainty of another poor decision when you can bolt to play under Mick Malthouse, who provided more of a shoulder than anyone at the club at Watts' lowest point in his career?

Some people need to wake up and smell the roses.

The problem isn't Watts.

Still doesn't mean you don't put your head over the ball and earn your wage.
  • Like 1

GO DEES!

You're right.

And I believe that's his default position - to run wide, he gets lazy.

He needs to spark/ignite a contest, take some heat....he's done it a couple of times this year.

You're right.

And I believe that's his default position - to run wide, he gets lazy.

He needs to spark/ignite a contest, take some heat....he's done it a couple of times this year.

That's true, but I'd rather Watts out wide - he can actually deliver the ball unlike the majority of the side. Having said that, once he realises the ball isn't going to be spilling out easily he should have a dip and try and get it himself.

And ME
  • Like 2

Isn't this the fear that many had?

That players were not happy?

Whose fault is it?

The last coach wasn't great for, and apparently to, young Jack who has the biggest decision of his life to make.

He can't wait to see whether we screw up the next appointment?

I really don't know how we can all lament the basket case we have become but expect blind faith from the players whose careers are affected by this club's malaise.

Get off your high horse and get down in the mud where the club is.

Great post, I feel similar as a supporter and I'm backing away from this club for a while, iv been in the mud long enough, I will continually financialy support the club with our family membership ever season but time step back and put time into other things instead of worrying about my beloved Demons, this club needs to improve dramatically and personally it could be another 5 years away, if my boy wants me to take him to a game I will but as for sitting down and watching it on TV every week and being in a [censored] mood for the following 12 hrs I'm done with it, anyway go demons and hopefully 2014 is something to cheer about. Edited by mjt

We are generally pretty happy about Jackson speaking unvarnished truth. I reckon we are currently seeing the light of plain-speaking dissolving the Old Boys Cancer that has hung over the club almost to its death. Does anyone else think Jack Watts just says it as he thinks it?

Wonderful courage in that. Jack answers questions according to what he has to say, not toeing any line. None of the Schwab blazers and whiteboard encyclicals or media coached "credit to the boys" nonsense from Jack. Never a trace of arrogance in the way he talks about himself, either. I think he is modest, and yet I have more than once seen him late in a game take responsibility to try and save the game. I really can't understand the mentality of anyone who would for a moment consider swapping Watts for Carlton's pet Cro-Magnon man Robinson.

In six or seven years, everyone will recognise Watts' personality same as they will recognise his particular skill set. Well, obviously, he will have grown into them, too. But we just don't quite have it clear yet. Like Roos, Watts is not out of the full-on Butch mould; but nevertheless, as others have before, he may yet prove to be of the highest value. There is more than one type of great player, and the nearer you get to being a champion, the likelier you are to be unique.

I think Watts might be anything in time, and in the context of the club he's been at, his inability to do his thing at the highest level is no great surprise or condemnation of him. Out of every impression I have ever had of him, one of the most striking has been the inability of the team to mesh with him. Not all his fault. Certainly not helped either by messages put out by his coaches. Everyone has to learn how to work this - but he's not a stock workman with a by-the-numbers skill-set. Context has to be factored in too, and the context Watts has been in at Melbourne has been incredibly bad in just about every way. Yet for all that, he does seem to remain very personable and patient and resilient, and he does speak fearlessly (not arrogantly). The Greeks had a word for this way of speaking (parrhesia), and they held it in very high esteem; said it went to the heart of character.

Thank goodness for Nathan Jones and his contributions these last few dreadful years; but I don't think anyone supposes Jones will ever have the star quality that a lot of people - from all over the league - say they can see lurking in Jack Watts.

Edited by robbiefrom13
  • Like 1

And ME

and also ME I confess!