Melbourne has moved on from Roos

Mark Williams appears to have an X-factor about him. Eade would be a classic straight down the line coach, no BS and no mix messages. Whereas I feel Williams would change things up more and be less predictable. I also think he'd be better at spruiking the club and being a premiership coach would carry more weight with the members who may be on the fence about getting on board.

Williams at this stage is my choice, however if we win 3+ games and start to look quite good then Craig has to be given serious consideration. Early on the players seem to be responding to him but it could simply be a release from being under Neeld.

• Like 2

Mark Williams appears to have an X-factor about him. Eade would be a classic straight down the line coach, no BS and no mix messages. Whereas I feel Williams would change things up more and be less predictable. I also think he'd be better at spruiking the club and being a premiership coach would carry more weight with the members who may be on the fence about getting on board.

Williams at this stage is my choice, however if we win 3+ games and start to look quite good then Craig has to be given serious consideration. Early on the players seem to be responding to him but it could simply be a release from being under Neeld.

I used to love watching the crows under craig, really good game plan, defense was amazing at times.

• Like 1

You could argue that Roos stringing us along is hurting his brand?

he portrays himself as a very honest and loyal sort of guy, and he is either lying to the public or at best misleading and does want to coach us, or he is leaving the door ajar on purpose because it somehow fuels his ego that we are chasing him.

either way i think the fact we are chasing the best coach so hard balances it out, we are finally showing we are serious about becoming a force in the comp again.

You mean the AFL are serious in transforming us into a competitive club again. :P

Mrs Robbie would prefer Eade or Craig, she has concerns about Williams (not quite right in the head) so I will go with that.

We used to love to watch William's press conferences after Port got beat, they were a riot.

• Like 1

Mrs Robbie would prefer Eade or Craig, she has concerns about Williams (not quite right in the head) so I will go with that.

We used to love to watch William's press conferences after Port got beat, they were a riot.

I am in the same boat. Williams' "nutter" credentials are the greatest concern and worthy of review.

The tie strangle incident at the 04GF revealed more about his personal character and drive than most would believe.

Is there method to his madness that can change and get us to the podium again? Most underestimate the cattle Port had at 2004 which was seriously a mile ahead of what we have.

• Like 1

My conspiracy theory is action jackson is easing the expectations of Roos coaching us with his comments today. A selection committee is formed for the sake of it but Roos is the only man in the hunt. Essendrug did the same thing before Hird was finally announced as their pharmacist/coach. Choco was interviewed for the job but was never in the hunt because the Hird deal was done. Choco was even $1.70 favourite at one stage http://www.bet-au.com/aussie-rules/next-essendon-bombers-coach-latest-betting-odds-as-mark-williams-is-170-favourite.htm.

My logical theory is Roos doesn't want the job and was never interested and has d!cked around with twisted comments because he is a bit of a knob.

The short and sweet of it is who bloody knows?

I'm with you on this Cowboy. Those contrived sequences on OTC were becoming an irritation with Roos repeating on a weekly basis that he wasn't interested in coaching only for the other two to raise it the next week. The running gag was wearing thin and hopefully, its going to go away. We don't need a reluctant coach who can only be persuaded/cajoled by the offer of coin. I suspect that had he decided to come to us he would have become the Tom Scully of the coaching fraternity.

• Like 1

She was spot with Neeld Robbie.

Thats good enough for me Eade it is!

I think we will know more about 845pm on Monday.

The question will no doubt come again from Shehean. If he categorically rules himself out of coaching, out of coaching the MFC, or if he pulls put the whole at the moment line we might have a greater understanding of his intentions. Of course, we might not...

The other thing to bear in mind is that 2014 might be his last opportunity to become a senior coach again - another two or three years out of the system may rule him out forever.

Compare it to Eade and Choco, who have remained involved in coaching.

Only1 of these coahes has coached 2 GF

1 Flag & 1 loss

Williams won it in 2004....game has changed but continues to be in at the cold face

Eade great at getting to Prelims & building both the Swans & Bulldogs

It was a long time ago, but Eade also coached a team to a GF - loss.

I dont warm too much to Eade. Reminds me of Neale Daniher. Both have similar records with a GF each and numerous finals appearances. Eade's results perhaps not as fickle.year by year. Both had a reputaion for having good teams that somehow tended to fizzle when the real crunch came. Offensive sides but softish and never quite good enough. Both never developed the kind of players that win premierships and continuity of development faded as their careers progressed. Still a good coach but would we rehire Daniher again?

Edited by america de cali

Eade produced decent workmanlike , very competitve teams. .....that never were able to take the last step and perform at the higher levels.

Roos can and did. Arguably off the back of Rockets good work but why was it it took Roos to get to the next level ?

Choco, yes a tad eccentric , but is that a reason not to consider him for his ability to develop, to inspire and make a bloody good fist of 'game day'. Oh yes ..He has silverware We have none ( recently )

Id actually put Craig and Rocket in the same category. I'm not convinced , and its only my position for sure , that either will buy the bikkies for us. You do often need a charismatic inspiron to take a team beyond its position and onto the ultimate.

Choco or Roos

Happy with Choco

• Like 1

Eade coached well at the Bulldogs with what he had - but they never seemed to recruit appropriately to fill their weaknesses. Was that Eade's responsibility or their recruitment/list manager's fault?

Craig coached well enough to consistently make finals but with enormous resources couldn't take the team to a Grand Final.

Williams has been a Premiership coach and has clearly been a mentor (or trainer) of subsequently successful coaches in Clarkson and to a lesser extent, Hardwick. Yet Bailey was also a protege of Williams.

Neeld was an effective Assistant Coach highly regarded by his senior coach at a Premiership team.

In short, the publicly available information does not provide sufficient information for us to judge who would be the right coach for us. I just hope our coaching panel know what they are doing and what to look for.

If he can win 3 + give him tehjob for hes fulfilling the major requirement. >> Getting Melbourne to win games of footy..

Love to see that happen , but Ive got to refrain and return to reality. Withot a midfiled we dont have a lot of hope . Still that in his defence is not his fault.

Id have Choco , Roos, Craig, Eade Wonder if I can get a bet on boxing that lot :unsure::)

I wonder what today's Rumours will be ?? :wacko:

aww what..no like if pulled up ?

The argument thats bogus , or rather events as result of circumstances that you wont concede is that wen the circus comes to town and we are chief clown then there is no hurt to the club.

Despite the idea we will finally be governed on the field by qualified personel in 2014 that currently we are a train wreck only just keeping to the rails. That,and that many consider that a detrimental quality.

This comes back to perceptions of those surrounding this event but you ,you , dont think this has weight.

wear it .

tumblr_inline_mfe0osqEWC1qjxfzm.gif

• Like 1

I think Roos is no chance to coach us.

The reason he is being coy is that he probably wants to coach either Brisbane or West coast, and a back room secret deal may be underway, similar to what happened with Ross Lyon.

You could argue that Roos stringing us along is hurting his brand?

he portrays himself as a very honest and loyal sort of guy, and he is either lying to the public or at best misleading and does want to coach us, or he is leaving the door ajar on purpose because it somehow fuels his ego that we are chasing him.

either way i think the fact we are chasing the best coach so hard balances it out, we are finally showing we are serious about becoming a force in the comp again.

Roos isn't stringing anyone along, this why clubs like the Eagles and Pies don't want a cap on FD spending were in an Arms race that we can't win, the Eagles could offer Roos 2 million a season if they liked, this is the exact reason why the AFL need to put a salary cap on FD spending and if they don't we will never truly have an even competition. Edited by mjt

She was spot with Neeld Robbie.

Thats good enough for me Eade it is!

I reckon that Rocket has demonstrated that, of the more favoured options, he's able to do more with less.

Does this make him the man for the job. I don't know.

its like arguing over which Champagne to open after years of suffering home brew

The other thing to bear in mind is that 2014 might be his last opportunity to become a senior coach again - another two or three years out of the system may rule him out forever.

Compare it to Eade and Choco, who have remained involved in coaching.

Not entirely true DA... Roos is head of coaching at the Sydney Swans Academy, so he is keeping his hand in. However, if he decides he doesn't want to coach the MFC in 2014, then the chances of getting him any time in the future are virtually gone because whoever we get will be on a minimum 3 year contract and there is no way the AFL would tolerate us paying out yet another contract because of an early termination.

Edited by hardtack