Jesse Hogan expectations

The Yarra

Max 15 games. Rested from a couple and maybe back to Casey for a few

5 games with multiple goals, 5 games with 1 goal, 5 games with no goals.

2-3 games where he's top 5 on the ground and you really take notice. 6 or so games were he does ok and you are pleased with the signs and another 6 or so games where he's quiet and can't impact games at all.

He's going to lose a degree of his athletic advantage against AFL players. He won't find space on the lead against top defenders or be able to push them around.

When the midfield is winning or breaking even and he's on a weak defender I expect him to do well. Up against a quality side like the cats with good defenders he'll find it hard.

The jump from VFL to AFL is huge

When was the last time a teenager in his first AFL season klcked 50+ goals?

Cos i reckon Jesse is gonna do it or come close

Allen Jakovich kicked 70 odd goals in his first year but was 23 years old. Darling kicked 53 in his second year at West Coast but we shouldn't go there

John Coleman kicked 100 in his debut season for the bombers. Amazing, but was out of his teenage years starting that year as a 20 year old. Similar story for Hudson, kicked over 100 in his second year

Got one, Chris Grant kicked 51 as a teenager for the Dogs in 1990

Disclaimer; Not comparing Jesse to any of the above just interested in finding the answer to H.H question

I'm not excited, but I am curious.

I've learnt that as a Melbourne supporter, the worst thing you can do is get excited about a player performing well, hell, dominating, at VFL level.

He could be the next Michael Newton.

Or he could be the next Tony Lockett.

Two extremes. I understand how young he is but he needs to perform on the big stage before I give him a metaphorical handjob like some people on this forum.

Brownlow, Coleman Medal, Norm Smith Medal, Michael Tuck Medal, Bluey, OAM and NAB Rising Star in his first year.

Have I missed anything?

Yeah, that's right.

Trying to keep the lid on.

That's putting far too much pressure on the kid in his first year. How about we just settle for the Norm Smith and leave it at that?

I'm not excited, but I am curious.

I've learnt that as a Melbourne supporter, the worst thing you can do is get excited about a player performing well, hell, dominating, at VFL level.

He could be the next Michael Newton.

Or he could be the next Tony Lockett.

Two extremes. I understand how young he is but he needs to perform on the big stage before I give him a metaphorical handjob like some people on this forum.

I'm sorry, are you comparing the almighty Hogan to Juice???

I can't... I don't.... What?

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he they ease him into in next year.

10-11 games in the seniors, 3 weeks rest and another 6 for Casey.

yeah theyll ease him in

theyll start by feeding him 3 yaks and a cow then let him loose on some poor unsuspecting schmuck !!

the next week he'll feed on a t rex after fighting it then take on a complete backline,

but its steady as she goes, no rush .. :)

• Like 1

I heard Jesse Hogan is the twin brother of Chuck Norris,

don't want to put too many wraps on the kids but anything less than a brownlow, coleman and 1000 goals in his first year would mean he has had an injury

And I am to believe he was the first one born, as even his brother didn't want to push in front of him...

I'm legitimately worried about the future of our species.

Hogan and Viney will both be playing a contact sport within metres of each other. If the unthinkable were to happen and they collided, I'm pretty sure the Australian east coast at a minimum will fracture, causing global flooding and ultimately dooming many of us.

Fortunately the incident is unlikely to injure either player, who could then rescue the rest of us from drowning.

The real problem is if the collision launches one or both of them into space; neither one of them will be able to save us. Fortunately I plan to use Lucas Cook as a floatation device.

• Like 1

I said to my brother at the start of the season that if he kicks 40 goals at Casey we have a star on our hands, well hes booted 30 in 10 games, finally after all these decades we have got a player on our hands, hes nearly going to win the VFL goal kicking when he should be playing U18s, and people rate Boyd ahead of him, there morons, the kids the next star of the AFL.

• Like 1

You guys who are tempering your expectations can do so if it's what you need to do to mitigate the risk of disappointment. My expectation is that he'll be a star and it will happen sooner rather than later, and that he's got the confidence and mental toughness to cope with the heavy weight of one fan's expectations.

• Like 2

Within 2 years Hogan will be a household name. The genuine star key forwards of the game are border-line super stars by the age of 21 and often earlier. Hogan play all of next year as a 19 year old. Tony Locket kicked 77 goals as an 18 year old. I'm merely pointing out that the true stars that are physically ready impose themselves very quickly. If some supporters want to dumb down expectations they can please themselves. They do this because either they don't understand the impact that the genuinely great young key forwards have, or they're conditioned to failure. You won't have to worry about expectations, Hogan will have more than any of you. That's the way the best are wired. Hogan is the best key forward talent I've seen come to Melbourne. I saw a young Schwarz, Neitz and Lyon and I rate this guy higher. Not to mention they'd kill for his swagger.

I remember the first time I saw Watts play for Casey. I walked out knowing in my heart of hearts he'd never be the player I'd hoped. Thank God our fortunes are changing.

Jeremy Cameron played his first year as a 19 year old. He was a stick figure and kicked 36 goals in 13 games. He's also a rare talent.

Within 2 years Hogan will be a household name. The genuine star key forwards of the game are border-line super stars by the age of 21 and often earlier. Hogan play all of next year as a 19 year old. Tony Locket kicked 77 goals as an 18 year old. I'm merely pointing out that the true stars that are physically ready impose themselves very quickly. If some supporters want to dumb down expectations they can please themselves. They do this because either they don't understand the impact that the genuinely great young key forwards have, or they're conditioned to failure. You won't have to worry about expectations, Hogan will have more than any of you. That's the way the best are wired. Hogan is the best key forward talent I've seen come to Melbourne. I saw a young Schwarz, Neitz and Lyon and I rate this guy higher. Not to mention they'd kill for his swagger.

I remember the first time I saw Watts play for Casey. I walked out knowing in my heart of hearts he'd never be the player I'd hoped. Thank God our fortunes are changing.

Jeremy Cameron played his first year as a 19 year old. He was a stick figure and kicked 36 goals in 13 games. He's also a rare talent.

You are right on the money BH, I had seen him on telly and thought he was good but I saw him last year in the flesh and thought wow! whoever gets this kid is getting something special.

I went to last years colts prelim and was even more impressed then previously, people compare players and sometimes it's a big call, but that day Hogan was the closest thing I've seen to Wayne Carey. He grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and it was one of the most outstanding displays I have seen by a young player. Hogan did not get his side over the line that day and I knew he would go in the mini-draft.

In the weeks after that game all the talk was he was going to the Dogs, they were going to move heaven and earth to get him, Can't say how delighted I am we managed to get him and watching the vision I have this year only confirms we finally got a future star. Now we have him it's up to the club to get things right in the FD and he is ours for a long time.

Edited by Pennant St Dee

About the most effervescent Ive seen you Ben :)

I think you may well be right though.

You just get the impression from this lad that he BELONGS on a footy field and that he's quite at home in that role. This is possibly the something you alluded to as lacking in some others

Some players get a little spooked at the highest level and take varying lengths of time to assimilate ( or not )

Jesse will walk onto the G thinking....BRING IT !!!

From what i've seen i like the looks of Hogan more than Jeremy Cameron

Hogan will just power through players, the kids a young Jono Brown

Hopefully without the stupidity in packs though