The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Worst in the AFL, mate. By a country mile.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Evans, Tapscott, McKenzie, Magner and Howe wouldn't get a game at any other club as a midfielder. We have no A graders (with Viney the only one on our list with potential to get there, perhaps Toumpas as well), a warrior in N.Jones and then a collection of good ordinary types.

I'm prepared to wait to see what Roos can do with the list but the reality is we need to inject 4+ talented mids into our rotations.

• Like 3

To get this thread back on track, here's some rumors, some I've heard, and some made up:

Daniel Cross has committed to us via free agency.

Maverick Weller & Jordan Gysberts both potential delisted free agent targets of ours, likely only one will be signed.

Xavier Ellis likely free agent target of ours.

Shane Savage is firmly in our sights, potential trade in exchange for 4th Round Pick and one of Jetta or Nicholson.

Franklin GWS bound as a free agent.

Martin will go to Hawthorn if GWS withdraw their interest which they're likely to do once they confirm Buddy. Hawthorn likely to give up 1st round draft pick & Buddy FA compo pick.

Dale Thomas to Carlton as Free Agent

Eddie Betts to Adelaide as Free Agent

Taylor Adams to Collingwood for Heath Shaw and possible swapping of later picks.

Sam Docherty to Carlton in exchange for Chris Yarran, possible swapping of picks.

Jared Polec to Port Adelaide for their 1st Round Pick.

Patrick Karnezis to Collingwood for 2nd Round Pick.

Elliot Yeo to West Coast for 2nd Round Pick

Billy Longer to Western Bulldogs in exchange for Ayce Cordy and swapping of picks.

Dom Tyson to Richmond for 1st Round Draft Pick & Robin Nahas.

Shaun Hampson to GWS in exchange for Kristian Jaksch & 2nd Round Pick

Sam Fisher to GWS for Josh Bruce & 3rd Round Pick

Delaney to St Kilda for 3rd Round draft Pick

Oh and I almost forgot. Darren Jolly likely Delisted Free Agent signing at Richmond and West Coast also showing interest in Andrew Kraouker.

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 3

In other words TD, we are not pulling off any coups whilst all the other Clubs swap their stars around! Mighty disappointing! I hope that we get a PP and can snare Boyd and stick it up them that way!

So our midfield looks like;

N.Jones

M.Jones

Z.Jones

Viney

Toumpas

Sylvia

Evans

Mckenzie

Tappscott

Howe

Cross

Magner

Trengove

Watts (goodes/Godard/Watson like)

Pick 2. -

Pick 20. -

Not bad

Yes it is ....... based on known form, at least

To get this thread back on track, here's some rumors, some I've heard, and some made up:

Daniel Cross has committed to us via free agency.

Maverick Weller & Jordan Gysberts both potential delisted free agent targets of ours, likely only one will be signed.

Xavier Ellis likely free agent target of ours.

Shane Savage is firmly in our sights, potential trade in exchange for 4th Round Pick and one of Jetta or Nicholson.

Franklin GWS bound as a free agent.

Martin will go to Hawthorn if GWS withdraw their interest which they're likely to do once they confirm Buddy. Hawthorn likely to give up 1st round draft pick & Buddy FA compo pick.

Dale Thomas to Carlton as Free Agent

Eddie Betts to Adelaide as Free Agent

Taylor Adams to Collingwood for Heath Shaw and possible swapping of later picks.

Sam Docherty to Carlton in exchange for Chris Yarran, possible swapping of picks.

Jared Polec to Port Adelaide for their 1st Round Pick.

Patrick Karnezis to Collingwood for 2nd Round Pick.

Elliot Yeo to West Coast for 2nd Round Pick

Billy Longer to Western Bulldogs in exchange for Ayce Cordy and swapping of picks.

Dom Tyson to Richmond for 1st Round Draft Pick & Robin Nahas.

Shaun Hampson to GWS in exchange for Kristian Jaksch & 2nd Round Pick

Sam Fisher to GWS for Josh Bruce & 3rd Round Pick

Delaney to St Kilda for 3rd Round draft Pick

Oh and I almost forgot. Darren Jolly likely Delisted Free Agent signing at Richmond and West Coast also showing interest in Andrew Kraouker.

Which ones have you made up?

So our midfield looks like;

N.Jones

M.Jones

Z.Jones

Viney

Toumpas

Sylvia

Evans

Mckenzie

Tappscott

Howe

Cross

Magner

Trengove

Watts (goodes/Godard/Watson like)

Pick 2. -

Pick 20. -

Not bad

IMO the only ones there that would be considered good ATM would be N Jones, Viney and Cross. Your list has a lot of MFC passengers and a number of untried hopefuls.

IMO the only ones there that would be considered good ATM would be N Jones, Viney and Cross. Your list has a lot of MFC passengers and a number of untried hopefuls.

Puzzled by the lack of appreciation for Matt Jones. He's gone from regional footy, to VFL twos, to VFL seniors, to AFL, all in the space of a year, then placed top 5 in our B 'n F, and in one of the worst year's for the club ever, with paltry on-field assistance and dubious coaching. Do you think he can't step up even further with another preseason and all other factors improved?

• Like 5

Puzzled by the lack of appreciation for Matt Jones. He's gone from regional footy, to VFL twos, to VFL seniors, to AFL, all in the space of a year, then placed top 5 in our B 'n F, and in one of the worst year's for the club ever, with paltry on-field assistance and dubious coaching. Do you think he can't step up even further with another preseason and all other factors improved?

Fair chance. Probably needs a couple more kg's of muscle on him imo. It's a good point you make though.

There are more than a few on our list with a lot of improvement left in them.

Really ? He's had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus. Would he be any better than Jordie Mac in that role ?

Well, round 1 he kept Rich to just 8 touches. He is a good user of the ball, worth a look IMO

Edit- After Rich had come off a very good pre season.

Edited by demonchris

Fair chance. Probably needs a couple more kg's of muscle on him imo. It's a good point you make though.

There are more than a few on our list with a lot of improvement left in them.

Including Trengove and Toumpas (both of whom may surprise next year)!

You are probably right about the potential bit Webber. And that could be said about many on our list: they have potential. But he wouldn't be considered a good player yet in AFL terms. Not sure the Bluey counts for much this year, unfortunately.

Looks a bit of an in between'er. Not a tall, not a small, have really only seen his senior game or games and wasn't overly impressed but that is unfair on a kid in his first game or so.

Where would he fit?

I think you're right.

The cats rate him, but I think he falls victim to being a bit of a tweener.

I think for us he'd be a HFF or pocket, but probably not the pure crumber we need.

of those ones you've made up, i'd guess at:

• no one will go near ellis i don't think - he can't get on the park consistently
  • savage is worth more than 4th round, more like a mid 2nd, lower 2nd round i'd reckon
  • can't see dogs giving up a f/s selection like cordy, who was so highly rated as a junior (but definitely hasn't come on as expected just yet)
  • hampson one kinda sorta makes sense
  • and krak is going to swan districts in wa, his days of playing in the afl are over (again)

would love to get savage though.

of those ones you've made up, i'd guess at:

• no one will go near ellis i don't think - he can't get on the park consistently
  • savage is worth more than 4th round, more like a mid 2nd, lower 2nd round i'd reckon
  • can't see dogs giving up a f/s selection like cordy, who was so highly rated as a junior (but definitely hasn't come on as expected just yet)
  • hampson one kinda sorta makes sense
  • and krak is going to swan districts in wa, his days of playing in the afl are over (again)

would love to get savage though.

He's the type of player we should go after, a couple at Geelong also worth a look.

Nate Jones is not a 'warrior' or a 'good trier.'

He is an elite midfielder and performs at a premium every game, considering there are normally 3 or 4 tags rotating on him, when our other midfielders don't have the fitness, intelligence or skills to block others off him.

When we start winning games, Nathan Jones may yet finish top 3 or 4 in the Brownlow.

He's amazing!

• Like 9

He is an elite midfielder and performs at a premium every game, considering there are normally 3 or 4 tags rotating on him, when our other midfielders don't have the fitness, intelligence or skills to block others off him.

When we start winning games, Nathan Jones may yet finish top 3 or 4 in the Brownlow.

He's amazing!

Not sure what to expect from him in a good team, but I do think he is a fantastic player!

• Like 1

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Evans, Tapscott, McKenzie, Magner and Howe wouldn't get a game at any other club as a midfielder. We have no A graders (with Viney the only one on our list with potential to get there, perhaps Toumpas as well), a warrior in N.Jones and then a collection of good ordinary types.

I'm prepared to wait to see what Roos can do with the list but the reality is we need to inject 4+ talented mids into our rotations.

I beg to differ with the right structure and if we manage to somehow snare or pick 1/2 A graders. Freo have a lot of average players rotating through their midfield who perform like robots as directed by Ross Lyon, they rely upon Fyfe, Barlow & Mundy to add the polish. All the players you mention above would get a game in the Freo midfield and be provided a specific role.

As others have said we lack A graders and midfield depth

I beg to differ with the right structure and if we manage to somehow snare or pick 1/2 A graders. Freo have a lot of average players rotating through their midfield who perform like robots as directed by Ross Lyon, they rely upon Fyfe, Barlow & Mundy to add the polish. All the players you mention above would get a game in the Freo midfield and be provided a specific role.

As others have said we lack A graders and midfield depth

Freo prove elite talent isn't everything, the right structure and game plan is 3/4 of the battle.

• Like 2

He's amazing!

As much as I love chunk, he is not an elite player.

He is great and may reach that standard next season or in the near future but he still has a way to go. It is probable that the fact that the team is rubbish affects him a bit and may hold him back from being better but he still has the occasional brain fade or time he can't break a tag which keeps him a rung below elite.

He is by miles our best player and I'd back him to become elite but I don't think he is at that stage yet.

• Like 2

Freo prove elite talent isn't everything, the right structure and game plan is 3/4 of the battle.

Elite talent does help though. You are only as good as your bottom six players though and Freo's bottom six each week will be solid players able to play a role for the team.

Worst in the AFL, mate. By a country mile.

I think these sorts of comments really miss the point about where we are actually at. It is fact our club has been appallingly badly managed where we have wasted raw talent through our own stupidity and incompetence. It stands to reason then if we have a regime and coaches who know what they are doing, and are highly competent. The improvement could be anything - 30%?, 50% ? 100%. Personally I think it will closer to100% than 50%.

The upside is enormous JUST BY THE IMPROVEMENT IN OUR CURRENT PLAYING GROUP.

We should look at our midfield in that light, not in the light of their competence of 2013 - it will be like chalk and cheese.