Has anyone noticed.....

Those mature rookies and smokies are doing the job they were brought in to do - bring a fierce attitude, never mind whether it works perfectly or not.

I do feel like the overall effort and intensity levels are slowly moving up. Fluctuating, but improving.

Little worrying that the free agents and trade-ins from AFL level have mostly been pretty inconsistent and uninspiring. Ah well, keep churning through them looking for the extra players, it's all we can do. Also - Dawes, the main target, has obviously not been tested yet.

Surely at least 8 delistings or trade-outs at end of year, again, and a few of those will be significant (though not stellar) salary cap chunks.

By my count, we need five more 'consistent AFL-level players' to simply bring us to a competitive level, and we basically need them in the midfield first priority.

Some will come from development of those already on our list.

Maybe another solid performer will come from the late-draft 'attitude' selections that are the current Footy Dept's meat and potatoes.

Surely we will get right into trading and free agency again.

We might get lucky with a plug-and-play draft selection.

Can we make it to five? We must.

• Like 2

That was the one in ten that actually comes off. Sylvia wasted so many opportunities today by trying to take on all comers. He's not superman, and he needs to realise that sometimes the best thing to do is the first thing to do.

He's got a bit of Moloney-itis.

Nathan Jones became a first-class player when he first learnt to not just slam into opponents when he had the ball, and then learnt to actively look for teammates in better positions. He tidied his skills a little too, but they aren't superb. He just plays smarter football than he did four years ago.

• Like 1

wow a new contender for worst comment I've ever read

whatever you do, don't kick a sensational goal, the supporters don't like it

anything else to add, perhaps Jeremy Howe should be dropped for using teammates as stepladders for awesome grabs

FMD

On the replay tonight Cameron Ling commented that he thought he should have hand balled and used first option to a teammate in a better position. I'd have to agree despite him excellerating past his teammates to score on his left.

• Like 1

On the replay tonight Cameron Ling commented that he thought he should have hand balled and used first option to a teammate in a better position. I'd have to agree despite him excellerating past his teammates to score on his left.

Fair enough, but plenty of Col's team mates are still learning the ropes, so suspect he's trying to a) do it himself and b) show the way.

Maybe another solid performer will come from the late-draft 'attitude' selections that are the current Footy Dept's meat and potatoes.

Surely we will get right into trading and free agency again.

We live in hope, but I wouldn't be holding my breath that we'll be able to get the midfield equivalent of Mitch Clark through trading. Toumpas, Viney and Matt Jones will be a year older and wiser, hopefully Trengove can shake off what's blighting him at the moment ... that's a good start. Perhaps someone from GC or GWS, but then we didn't really go for Josh Caddy it seems, and in any case, not sure how many like him there'll be.

Nathan Jones became a first-class player when he first learnt to not just slam into opponents when he had the ball, and then learnt to actively look for teammates in better positions. He tidied his skills a little too, but they aren't superb. He just plays smarter football than he did four years ago.

The main difference with Jones' game is his speed. Hopefully he can share his secrets with Trenners

The clearest thing for me from todays game is Jamar should not play again unless Gawn and Spencer are both injured.

Agree with this, and agree with the OP. Spencer is much more competitive than Jamar, just needs a few games to start holding his marks. Howe did nothing today however to warrant inclusion in that group..... Worse than useless today. I would include Evans in there. I reckon he's gonna be a gun.

• Like 1

That was the one in ten that actually comes off. Sylvia wasted so many opportunities today by trying to take on all comers. He's not superman, and he needs to realise that sometimes the best thing to do is the first thing to do.

I love Sylvia. He is playing with real heart at the moment. Give him a new contract asap please.

Matt Jones and Michael Evans are two other favourites.

Nathan Jones should be elevated to Co-Captain of the club. I seem to recall that Sydney had three in 2005.

Agree with this, and agree with the OP. Spencer is much more competitive than Jamar, just needs a few games to start holding his marks. Howe did nothing today however to warrant inclusion in that group..... Worse than useless today. I would include Evans in there. I reckon he's gonna be a gun.

For all the knocking of Jamar, and interesting comment was made by Simon Black last week when in the commentary box. He said Jamar was a good player, really difficult to pick as he was one of the few ruckman who could tap the ball 360degrees. Maybe he is a bit better than some give him credit for.

• Like 1

i love Matt Jones and Terlich because they are grasping their opportunities and they have a red hot dip

They also find the footy, which not many players on our list can do sadly

i love Matt Jones and Terlich because they are grasping their opportunities and they have a red hot dip

Yep, big wins for the recruiters. The AFL recruits on the other hand.......

In one aspect, Terlich reminds me of Nathan Jones. When Jones first started, he kept trying to do too much and regularly turned the ball over because of it. I'm seeing the same with Terlich. Hopefully Terlich will adjust when he is more familiar with the pace of the game and be as productive as Nathan Jones has become.

reason for edit: typo

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 2

The clearest thing for me from todays game is Jamar should not play again unless Gawn and Spencer are both injured.

This. Our midfielders were completely baffled yesterday when Spencer gave some good taps but they went more than 2 feet from his hand.The sooner Jamar is made redundant, the better.

Has anyone noticed that a core group of players such as Matt Jones, Nathan Jones, Terlich, Garland, Howe, Gawnanator, Grimes, Viney,tMac and Tappy are starting to build a good core group. Oh and i forgot, especially Colin Sylvia, the guy has now put in a complete start to the year (except for the bombers game, which we all got obliterated).

This core group, plus Clark, Dawes, Toump and Hogan to come in can actually make Melbourne into something. I seriously am confident that this can become our future.

We may not be classy yet, but With Matt Jones and Nathan Jones these two ball magnets can lead us.

Note have left out Watts andTrengove as i am really confused to the way they have been going lately, quite disappointed actually

great post, its positive monday and i felt pretty good after yesterdays game

i ended up with thefeeling its slowly coming together and the hard work by the fd is paying off

people i sat with were confident the team is on the right track

saw glimpses of a team united and a building of the backline to cope with different structures they come against

also thought they responded to plan changes after injury and was rapt to be a demon supporter.

things are looking up and i feel CONFIDENT

• Like 2

great post, its positive monday and i felt pretty good after yesterdays game

i ended up with thefeeling its slowly coming together and the hard work by the fd is paying off

people i sat with were confident the team is on the right track

saw glimpses of a team united and a building of the backline to cope with different structures they come against

also thought they responded to plan changes after injury and was rapt to be a demon supporter.

things are looking up and i feel CONFIDENT

If nothing else yesterday's performance should put to rest the Neeld critics who argue he has lost the players. We witnessed our boys putting their heads over the ball time and time again; evidenced by the free kick count. The boys were working for each other as best they could and certainly not looking like a team who weren't playing for their coach. Despite the result, we had a crack and showed some heart. Small steps but at least in the right direction.

• Like 2

We just dont have enough pace.

We cant affordto leave blease out every week, and Jetta hasvtp come back in and stay in.

Ill say t again as i do every week.

McKenzie is NOT an AFL level player.

and jetta has no pace

For all the knocking of Jamar, and interesting comment was made by Simon Black last week when in the commentary box. He said Jamar was a good player, really difficult to pick as he was one of the few ruckman who could tap the ball 360degrees. Maybe he is a bit better than some give him credit for.

Like a Donut?

• Like 1

Poor Col Sylvia cant win....

I have been his harshest critic because i believe he has everything to be a top 10 footballer in the league ( except between the ears).

So we have lambasted him for not giving a rats and whilst he absolutely butchered it and tried to do too much yesterday I see a footballer at least who is having a red hot go.

With so much to complain about at the moment, Colin Sylvia is not one of my major complaints.

• Like 1

I have been his harshest critic because i believe he has everything to be a top 10 footballer in the league ( except between the ears).

So we have lambasted him for not giving a rats and whilst he absolutely butchered it and tried to do too much yesterday I see a footballer at least who is having a red hot go.

With so much to complain about at the moment, Colin Sylvia is not one of my major complaints.

The problem is he often gives a red hot crack with ball that other players have won. If he was getting a lot of his own ball that would be one thing, but when he's butchering the good work of others, it only compounds the frustration.

For example, in the first quarter yesterday he ran straight into a Carlton player and was caught holding the ball. He could have just passed off to another player and created a scoring opportunity, but instead he bit off way more than he could chew. And that was not the only time he did something like that yesterday.

The problem is he often gives a red hot crack with ball that other players have won. If he was getting a lot of his own ball that would be one thing, but when he's butchering the good work of others, it only compounds the frustration.

For example, in the first quarter yesterday he ran straight into a Carlton player and was caught holding the ball. He could have just passed off to another player and created a scoring opportunity, but instead he bit off way more than he could chew. And that was not the only time he did something like that yesterday.

I am clutching at straws, at anything with Colin....this year he has at least been involved. He has been far from the worst of them.

• Like 1

I'm not going to criticise either Jones or Sylvia because they have both been having a real crack despite our season from hell, but...

I think you need to re-watch yesterday's game because I saw Jones caught HTB numerous times yesterday trying to do too much.

A gun with a warped barrel and no sight - 44% disposal efficiency

He shanked a few in the first quarter, but the last 3 quarters were good from Col

someone agrees, we give him so much flak, but for real he is giving it a go finally. Col is playing well and has for already a fair bit now. Had a poor round 2, but other than that was great.

Especially in the GWS and West Coast matches.