Cameron Schwab Resigns

Steamin Demon

Schwab carried too much baggage from the tanking episode and was a lame duck. While he was not found guilty by the AFL investigation, most don’t believe he was entirely innocent and he had lost the trust of many of the players and supporters. IMO the club did the right thing at the time in securing the priority pick in 2009, however the key people linked to the club at the time should have departed sooner as they became divisive and resulted in bad press.

While Schwab is obviously skilled as a CEO, he was just an administrator and should be easily replaceable. Moreover, as with any organisation, a change in leadership is often a good thing after a long period.

Schwab carried too much baggage from the tanking episode and was a lame duck. While he was not found guilty by the AFL investigation, most don’t believe he was entirely innocent and he had lost the trust of many of the players and supporters. IMO the club did the right thing at the time in securing the priority pick in 2009, however the key people linked to the club at the time should have departed sooner as they became divisive and resulted in bad press.

While Schwab is obviously skilled as a CEO, he was just an administrator and should be easily replaceable. Moreover, as with any organisation, a change in leadership is often a good thing after a long period.

So he has gone and we can belittle, agree with the first part except it was media driven and the sheep went along and perpetuated, but "just an administrator", obviously you have never seen him in action, or listened to him talk about footy or MFC, try listing pre Cameron condition of the club except on the field and post Cameron except on the field, I did and look what he has achieved

• Like 2

His baggage was from the lead up to 186 down at Mordor when he was seen as an interferer by the players and a force against Bailey.

The tanking episode was half a game of Warnock playing CHF and Johnson playing FB - it required no direction from above - everyone knew, like you, what had to be done. Schwab would have had little to do with that - as much as Wilson would like him to be involved in such a 'dastardly act.'

• Like 2

His baggage was from the lead up to 186 down at Mordor when he was seen as an interferer by the players and a force against Bailey.

The tanking episode was half a game of Warnock playing CHF and Johnson playing FB - it required no direction from above - everyone knew, like you, what had to be done. Schwab would have had little to do with that - as much as Wilson would like him to be involved in such a 'dastardly act.'

186 was part of it, but I think the divide between Schwab and the players began earlier than that.

I think the CEO of a footy club has to be in a position to make strategic calls about the football side. Giving the coaches etc. carte blanche say about the playing list can result in a conflict of interest between the coach (who wants to be a premiership coach in the short term) and the club (which has to look at the long-term future as well). The decision to trade away of early draft picks is an example of this conflict. However, with this position there is the potential for the CEO to get himself into trouble, as has been the case here.

While it goes unrecognised on this site, you are a true Melbourne person with an enduring emotional tie to the club that gave you your start in football.

Better than most, you understand what makes this club distinctive. All football clubs are alike, but some have elements that set them apart, and you have grasped and articulated this where others could not.

Some years ago the AFL ceo said Melbourne stood for nothing, but on Sunday when asked if the club needed help that same ceo pointed out the club's status as the oldest and the founding club of the game.

That is the result of your work, Cameron.

Sure, the blazers might look somewhat twee but the Harold Ball story that lies behind them and that inspired their reintroduction is a uniquely Australian one, and rich in meaning. Ditto the crest.

That is part of your work and flawed though you might be - unlike your critics who, of course are paragons of virtue - you did much to right this club.

Goodbye and good luck.

• Like 7

While it goes unrecognised on this site, you are a true Melbourne person with an enduring emotional tie to the club that gave you your start in football.

Better than most, you understand what makes this club distinctive. All football clubs are alike, but some have elements that set them apart, and you have grasped and articulated this where others could not.

Some years ago the AFL ceo said Melbourne stood for nothing, but on Sunday when asked if the club needed help that same ceo pointed out the club's status as the oldest and the founding club of the game.

Sure, the blazers might look somewhat twee but the Harold Ball story that lies behind them and that inspired their reintroduction is a uniquely Australian one, and rich in meaning. Ditto the crest.

That is part of your work and flawed though you might be - unlike your critics who, of course are paragons of virtue - you did much to right this club.

Goodbye and good luck.

I had the pleasure of telling him much the same in person last night, well bloody written

• Like 1

I don't have any animus towards schwab. i wish him the best in whatever he does next and he should be welcome at the club

It was time for him to go and let some fresh air into the club and start the healing process

Whether he went yesterday or later it was inevitable and imminent

His footprint was all over all aspects of the club and he was the chief architect of the red'n'blueprint and its implementation

We couldn't rebuild with his strong presence remaining

I think he was a dedicated and loyal demon and he did what he thought was best. Some of his work was good and some fell short.

In the end it didn't work out and he had too much influence

History has marked him hard and that's football. In the end its about winning games and as he says its a performance business

now that we are trying to heal and rebuild there will inevitably (and rightly) be more casualties, but this needs to done with as much direction and diligence as possible.

replacement strategies will become more critical as will be timing

more tough times ahead

• Like 6

I don't have any animus towards schwab. i wish him the best in whatever he does next and he should be welcome at the club

It was time for him to go and let some fresh air into the club and start the healing process

His footprint was all over all aspects of the club and he was the chief architect of the red'n'blueprint and its implementation

I think he was a dedicated and loyal demon and he did what he thought was best. Some of his work was good and some fell short.

History has marked him hard and that's football. In the end its about winning games and as he says its a performance business

now that we are trying to heal and rebuild there will inevitably (and rightly) be more casualties, but this needs to done with as much direction and diligence as possible.

more tough times ahead

Excellent summery dc.

more tough times ahead

Ridiculous DC. How dare you offer a balanced point of view on this thread!!?

• Like 1

Ridiculous DC. How dare you offer a balanced point of view on this thread!!?

I know ...its a bit rich huh !! :unsure:

Theres work tobe done...but i feel some new workers ( blood ) is required. Some who can bring clean and unused sheets of paper with them !!

He is conducting himself very professionally.

He always conducted himself professionally.

I was having a chat with him once at a B&F a couple of years ago and a little kid came up to chat. CS knew his name, remembered the kid played in his clubs grand final, asked how it went and gave the kid his number so he could find out more.

Professional and nice guy.

Edited by PJ_12345

Goodbye and good luck.

Good post. Your thread has been merged with the current CS resigns thread.

Farewells can be posted here.

Not a Cameron Schwab fan but he handled the presser and his sacking with extremely good grace and dignity.

Well done.

Agree with you Jnr Mac, no sour grapes dignified and full of praise for the club and it's supporters on his way out! The SEN boys on morning glory searched for some stories this morning but he gave them nothing and was articulate in every answer!

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

Having left the Dees last year as a member and also a supporter for over 50 years and gone over to Richmond, I can't believe that Schwab is the root cause of MFC's problems.

I always said it is a cultural thing in that there are no MFC demographics. There was one forum member on here recently who said the club needed an urban or suburban supporter base where the club and players could reach out physically to that base. I agree, but how that could happen I don't know.

In my last year on this forum before being suspended from it for 12 months as Dees Dayz, Oct 2011 - Oct 2012, I was dead against the club going after Malthouse or any other Collingwood coach. Reaching out to Collingwood for football smarts was not very smart. Traditional MFC supporters should not have to cop that.

Chasing Clarkson was the right thing to do, otherwise an ex MFC stalwart was needed. After Stynes united the club, the club should have awarded the coaching position to a Demon and closed up and tightened, a la Hawthorn. And have a look at the current assistant coaching staff... you have to be kidding me.

Then to shaft Junior Mac, then toss other senior players for the likes of Rodan, Gillies etc.... well, is that an ex Collingwood coaching death squad approach? Any wonder the players have no heart to play for the MFC. Any wonder there is no on-ground leadership. That cannot be paid for or drafted. It has to be nurtured in a tough and uncompromising way.

I was always shouted down on this forum when I doubted the benefit of tanking for draft picks. Especially with MFC's previous ten year or so record of poor picks and their inability to turn high draft picks into successful players, like Sylvia, Morton as a couple of examples.

The term "winning culture" became dirty words on this forum through 2009 onwards. Poo-Poo'd by people I no longer see posting on this forum. This forum is lucky they are currently in hiding.

Anyway, not my problem. I am now a Richmond Football Club member. An old-aged one, not prepared to waste my life further with MFC.

But on the other hand, I wish MFC every success if they can extract themselves from this [censored]. The AFL does really need them to be successful.

The fact that you jumped ship should be enough for us to not take you seriously. But when you said in the same post that "the club should have awarded the coaching position to a Demon" and then alluded to the need for someone from a "winning culture", who exactly did you have in mind? A player from the 1964 Grand Final?

I've never seen the need to place a poster on "Ignore". You may well become the first.

• Like 1

It was in reference to 2008-09 which is a factor in why the current list is mentally shot.

Most of them were not at the Club four-five years ago, so what you are saying is the players arrive and as part of their induction they are handed mental baggage......staggering.......the problem we have is inexperience and confidence

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

Most of them where not at the Club four-five years ago, so what you are saying is the players arrive and as part of their induction they are handed mental baggage......staggering.......the problem we have is inexperience and confidence

Call it mental Baggage if you like.

But deny it is not there at your own peril.

We have a team who cannot play AFL Football.

Who is going to fix it?

Only the best people in the country.

We lost the Best people in 1965 who both went to other clubs.

We have been slowly dying ever since.

• Like 1

The way I see it, the playing group hated Schwab because he wanted Bailey to hold them more accountable on-field. He actively tried to change the playing culture at the club.

This was driven by the players. It was always going to happen.

Do people think Bailey was sacked as a scapegoat? He was sacked because his team played unaccountable, lazy football when it fell behind. The very things the administration wanted to eradicate post-Daniher was being enhanced under Bailey. That is where Schwab's "meddling in the football department" comes into play.

His hiring of Neeld is particularly indicative of his influence to change the club's culture. Neeld has come in and it's clear the players just don't buy in to his hardline approach...although I'm starting to doubt his teaching credentials.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a very entitled, self-indulged playing group.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

Who is going to fix it?

I can see Schwab's plan and it may work

We have an inexperienced Football Manager

Inexperienced Coach

Inexperienced Captains

Inexperienced players

But they could all grow together with a set plan, with Neil Craig and a couple of imported senior players keeping everybody on the correct path, and have sustained success

At the moment the confidence is shot, but like Schwab I am confident it will work, it is whether it survives long enough to work

WYL you are worse than Old Dee sometimes, stop looking over your shoulder, it has gone, listen to everybody, we need new fresh air

• Like 1

Who is going to fix it?

Good point. Culture is passed on good or bad. For good or ill your senior players are always the link to those who came before. These influences dilute over time so those who immediately preceded you will always have the greatest impact.

• Like 3