Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

I can fully understand the desire to immediately get rid of the coach (my personal view is that Neeld should be nixed when Jackson knows what he wants to do with the FD as a whole), but as AoB says - can you please not tie Neeld's tenure from here on in - be it 2 weeks or 8 weeks - to the survival of the club.

That is horrendous horse sh!t if you are trying to scare people into believing your side of the argument.

Soon the King will be gone and we will hail a new King.

But the Kingdom will remain.

• Like 1

I've lost count of the number of times you have said "The club will be dead by then" (usually a year, 2 years, end of someone's contract).

It started in 2008. Forgive us if your comment holds no weight.

"Look! A wolf!!! No seriously, I swear that this time there really is a wolf!"

While the end of the MFC is a doomsday scenario, the AFL has history in killing off its weakest clubs. The shot gun marriage between the Bears and Fitzroy is seen as a success by Headquarters and the same fate is a fair chance to happen to us given the tailspin we are in and that the GWS and GCS are both highly unprofitable and largely unfollowed.

I've lost count of the number of times you have said "The club will be dead by then" (usually a year, 2 years, end of someone's contract).

It started in 2008. Forgive us if your comment holds no weight.

"Look! A wolf!!! No seriously, I swear that this time there really is a wolf!"

thanks for that wisdom AoB.

What is your crowd predictions for the next 2 thrashings?

Not much has happened since 2008 has it, oh except we have got far worse.

Sorry pal, but a year from now we will only be marginally better than we are now - no matter who is coach.

You simply can not assert that with any basis, unless you can put your hand to heart and say that what we are witnessing is the very best that can be extracted from this group, at this point in time. I dare say the only ones that would agree with you on that are bing, who seems to "like" any post that downplays the shocking performances or even vaguely supports Neeld, Satyr, enough said, and a sprinkling of others willing to go down with the ship screaming "Neeld forever!". The majority can quite clearly see a dispirited, disinterested, and confused bunch of players, as plain as the nose on your face. A GOOD coach can address that within 6 months.

• Like 2

doubtful.

We will be light years ahead of the rabble we are now if we hire a top flight coach.

Hahahahahaha...aaah..you're cracking me up kid.

Where do we find one of these mythical creatures with the power to single-handedly change the fortunes of a club in an instant?

Hey, better still, we should get two of them. just in case one gets sick or whatever.

• Like 2

A DEFIANT Mark Neeld asked for his rebuilding mission to be judged in a year after Melbourne was largely uncompetitive in a 90-point loss to Fremantle at Patersons Stadium.

LOL this guy

Hopefully for all Melbourne supporters he is gone after the Hawthorn game. If you think Freo smashed you wait until next week against the Hawks. I think they may win by 140 pts depending on the weather.

Not only for Dee supporters but put Viney in as coach again and get rid of this imposter who isn't an AFL standard coach. He won't be at the club next year so why continue to put all Melbourne supporters through pain every week until the end of the season. Cut your losses and try to build on something for the 2014 season.

As my mate says he has more interest in Casey than watching that dribble every week.

Edited by PD72

All the blame is on Neeld, when he is not the only coach there. Does everyone really think he pulls the strings? He has other coaches there too, who are supposed to help him. We should be calling for their sacking as much as we should Neelds. It's easy for everyone on here to bandwagon and want Neeld gone, but I bet they could not even give 5 good reasons as to why. Neeld is shielding his players from the grunt, I feel that is a noble thing to do.

I dare say the only ones that would agree with you on that are bing, who seems to "like" any post that downplays the shocking performances

Like to offer an example to back that up?

Why is it so difficult to grasp that there are any number of positions apart from "sack Neeld tomorrow" or "keep him forever"?

LOL are you for real?

1) Hes a bad coach

2) we have no gameplan or anything resembling one

3) gave Cam Pedersen a 3 year deal

4) his pre-game speech against Essendon was embarassing

5) 148 point loss

6) his team gets smashed by an average of 80 points a game

7) he has 1 win, to the pathetic GWS in a game we trailed by 19 at 3 quarter time

8) doesnt inspire the players

9) doesnt inspire the supporters

10) is terrible with the media

11) constantly makes stupid excuses

I can go on and on

But you actually have no proof of any of those things. All coaches suffer big loses, Sheedy lost by 140+ how many times with GWS and hes one of the greats. You cannot explain your examples. Which in turn was my point, band wagoners for Neeld to go.

• Like 3

Last week and for much of this year we have seen Melbourne players refuse to run, chase, tackle and work as a team. Neeld isn't instructing the players to do this and I am sure he gets angry and constantly reminds them it is not acceptable. No doubt the players should take their share of the blame, but let me ask this:

Do you think you would see these kind of repeated insipid efforts if Clarkson, Malthouse, Roos, Ross Lyon, Worsfold or Longmire were coaching?

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

I've not posted before in this topic, but Robbo and Gerard just said they spoke off air a few weeks ago about a rumour they had heard independently to each other that Neeld had 3 weeks (being the end of the Hawks match) but they did not go to air with it.

Tonight Gerard Healy said something similar to this on his radio show but it now seems the next two games determine his fate, if we get belted in both with no effort, come the bye, Neeld will be gone.

I can't access the article, do they say why it is now $3 million?

LOL are you for real?

1) Hes a bad coach (Fundamentally he isn't. He has a decent track record at various AFL levels)

2) we have no gameplan or anything resembling one (Clearly we do but is shaped by our poor list, his zoning for example is dictated by the lack of fitness)

3) gave Cam Pedersen a 3 year deal

4) his pre-game speech against Essendon was embarassing (Those speeches are given usually 45 mins before the game. Those Hollywood speeches you're most likely thinking of don't exist. Even Sheedy is moderately placid)

5) 148 point loss (We got smashed by a team that went onto be unbeaten for how many rounds and are a top 4 side)

6) his team gets smashed by an average of 80 points a game (Go to the game this week and sit on the the 3rd level and watch whats actually happening. Basic stuff like being the fist in and first out, shepherding, smothering, bumping, spreading, running, manning the goal square, having a second man to stop the opposition from running around the mark on snap shots, manning your player at the center bounce, providing pressure - are all basic elements which the players aren't providing... not MN)

7) he has 1 win, to the pathetic GWS in a game we trailed by 19 at 3 quarter time (So suddently we are counting games as losses by the quarters now? GWS are fitter than us, they were always going to run us around. At the end of the day we won. If we follow your principle the Roos should be at the top of the ladder)

8) doesnt inspire the players (The players don't inspire themselves, the fact that their lack of effort doesnt inspire them, the fact that their club is in dire straits doesnt inspire them. The players are lazy and DB's career died the same way as MN is... ironic isnt it - same players, different coaches, same results... but no no it cant be the players AXE NEELD!)

9) doesnt inspire the supporters (No coach could inspire us. We would just sit here and say its spin and we have all heard it before)

10) is terrible with the media (We didn't hire him for his photogenic skills, we hired him to coach. I couldn't give two stuffs is he couldn't string two words together in front of the media - he is there to coach)

11) constantly makes stupid excuses (What do you expect him to say? That we are crap, our players are lazy, we will most likely not win a game this year, most of the players arent at AFL level and most of them are going to get dropped? You critise him for making stupid excuses and then not for inspiring the players and supporters. Cant have you cake and eat it too)

I can go on and on

• Like 3

Last week and for much of this year we have seen Melbourne players refuse to run, chase, tackle and work as a team. Neeld isn't instructing the players to do this and I am sure he gets angry and constantly reminds them it is not acceptable. No doubt the players should take their share of the blame, but let me ask this:

Do you think you would see these kind of repeated insipid efforts if Clarkson, Malthouse, Roos, Ross Lyon, Worsfold or Longmire were coaching?

Or under Dean Bailey?

Does anyone seriously think Mark Neeld will lead the MFC to the promised Land (Premiership Victory)!

Surely most supporter of the MFC will have an opinion as to when Mark should go, either immediately or at the end of the season.

Personally I would like to say to Mark "Don't let the door hit you on the behind..."

In my opinion, the sooner that guy go the better it will be for the MFC!

Although we all need to very worry about who will be making the decision as to the replacement coach, but that another story.

Good on you Greg... got to show improvement against two of the best sides in the game - Healey sure knows how to hedge his bets.

He is right though in that our midfield is crap. MN should drop 2 forwards down into the mid and leave 3 up there... do a Sydney and flood it. Get creative because clearly this midfield, players and zoning isn't working

Not a great Healy lover, but the economic consequences of non performance ends up out weighing what goes on onfield. Neeld probably has a couple of weeks to uncook his goose, or for the board if they don't quit the nonsense currently going on onfield to find a new $3mio sponsor.

Reckon CS might have understood this after round one against Port Adelaide when the Sellar let the ball bounce of his head. Anyhow he's secured a decent payout for himself it would seem.

Neeld took over when we were the laughing stock of the AFL. We are now centre stage and top act at the comedy festival.

Anyone who wants him to remain after the bye are not helping this football club get off the canvas.

• Like 1

The above articles from Gerard Healy must be taken seriously.

$3 mill will become 4 if this continues.

Let the AFL in.

Then 5 and then 6. Why?

Because that is the linear progression of the Western numerical sequence moving upwards...

Just think about that people. Think about that.

• Like 1

Last year I was savaged by posters on this site for pointing out the bleeding obvious. I will state it again.

Neeld is missing a major skill required to have success as a senior coach. This is the skill to be able to get the most out of your players. Neeld has no ability to create the confidence and self belief required to be an AFL coach. The number of players who play as a shadow of the players they were prior to last season in staggering. Virtually all players have gone backwards despite them being mostly low draft picks, young and up coming. I watch as our x players who were moved on suddenly find there lost ability at new clubs and point to this as further evidence. At the same time our recruits from other clubs suddenly struggle to get a kick, struggle to play.

I said it last year and I will say it again now. Neeld is not our man. He may be tough and smart, he may have a good footy brain but he is missing the skill of installing self belief and confidence while still being tough. He must be sacked ASAP. The perfomances since he became coach have been beyond appauling. Come season end we will see another wave of our better players asking to be traded or leaving through free agency if we don't get someone in who can install the most important thing in football........ self belief. Further we will be unable to trade for any quality recruit as the MFC will continue to seen as poison for any players career. We must get rid of Neeld before more damage is done.

You were savaged?How do you think I felt?

Sunday was a disgrace! Worse than church! Man what have we become. A schizenhausen rabble.

Neeld will be sacked after the Hawthorn match.IMO Craig should join him but my gut feeling is Craig will take over that is failing a major coupe starting with R.