Melbourne commencement dinner

dees189227

I was in attendance tonight and it was enjoyable. The new players got their Blazers like them or not there were a few inducted in to the Hall of Fame including Alan Johnson who was there with his som Chris, it seems he is back in touch with the club after the spat.

Sat with Jeremy Howe and he's keen to get in to it, said the Darwin camp was unbelievably hard, even when you stop it as still sapping because of the heat and conditions. I asked him about the delisted players and he said it was just about attitude to training and that some players get to a certain point then they just stop, he said its all about the last 15 minutes of training and you had to get through that as it was the most important. Gys and a few others just didn't have it in them to keep going he thinks it was because of how it was done in the past. The new kids coming in have only seen the way it's done now so they are buying in no problem.

Loves Toumpass reckons he's the happiest person he's ever met and very strong, should play first round. Thinks Jesse Hogan will be a star he's just huge and a great awareness of the game excited about the future.

Got cleaned up at training by Mitch he said he got crunched reckons Mitch is looking great and should be ready for round one. Trenners is a little way off he's lost a bit of weight they feel he had put on too much upper body muscle. Mentioned Tappers said he and Sylvia aren't allowed too much Gym time because they just get too big, that's been part of Tappers problem.

The players up the field love Jack in the back line their eyes light up when he got the ball because he's such a great distributor I think he'll stay their for a while he's put on weight and his strength has increased significantly. Just has to get rid of the beard there are some shockers.

The coach is excited with the playing group and said success may come a lot quicker that we think, said don't worry about the negative headlines just focus on the club, he's very positive.

Getting late if I can think of anything else worth adding I will tomorrow.

Long time stalker, rare poster. It's info like this that keeps me checking in on this this site. So much crap in the media that doesn't actually tell you anything new. This post has more content than a month of HSun articles. Thanks RF.

I'm quietly optimistic about 2013 for us. It's hard to keep getting up after so many poor seasons, but I have faith in Neeld & co to make the right decisions.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the evening too and, like a few others, I don't mind the blazers. Those who oppose them because of the perceived link with the old school tie have totally missed the point. The blazers are fashioned on the old club blazers that were worn by players of all clubs back in the game's past and they are meant to celebrate our club's heritage and link its past with the present and the future.

I really do like Mark Neeld and I think he has the right attitude. He speaks from the head and from the heart and he doesn't tell us supporters what he thinks we want to hear but he tells it like it is. He made the point that our list currently has a little over 1,900 AFL games experience between them compared to the Swans list which last year had well over 3,000. It means we're still a few years away from a premiership. Better to be honest than to be embarrassed by the media after making outlandish predictions about making finals and winning premierships as one or two coaches have in the past.

It's interesting talking to the players and I spoke with several of them. Some are still pretty young and naieve but I do like where the club is going with them in terms of getting young men of character to represent the club. I hope in time they also prove to be great footballers.

Edited by Spirit of the Demon
  • Like 2

Oops ...

Yes I thought the same bing but thought I would let it slide.

I think that last time cost us 500 big ones.

IMO it is everything

What are you 2 talking about? You have picked 6 words from a two sentence statement that clearly indicates that I was talking about not winning a practice match.

Old Dee, you really think winning a nothing game on a hot Saturday morning/early afternoon is going to shape our season?

FFS, bring on Round 1 already. Posts like the 2 above sh!t me to tears.

• Like 2

What are you 2 talking about? You have picked 6 words from a two sentence statement that clearly indicates that I was talking about not winning a practice match.

Old Dee, you really think winning a nothing game on a hot Saturday morning/early afternoon is going to shape our season?

Now take a deep breath biily it was a small joke that you obviously did not geT.

Do you really think we meant that they were tanking.

relax mate

Now take a deep breath biily it was a small joke that you obviously did not geT.

Do you really think we meant that they were tanking.

relax mate

Jeezus OD. It's a crook world when you have to explain your jokes. Single malt notwithstanding, I don't think you're drinking enough.

Joke-o-meter on the blink?

Great band!!!!!

Could imagine a crowd chant of Garlo, Garlo, Garlo in the mode of the Dexys' "Gino"...even the MFC trumpeter could revive his career by taking on the brass line from that tune.

• Like 1

I thought this from McLardy's speech was extremely interesting:

“The AFL found out during the investigation that the Melbourne footy club can be a formidable force when challenged, and we will continue to fight for our due respect in this competition.

• Like 3

I thought this from McLardy's speech was extremely interesting:

“The AFL found out during the investigation that the Melbourne footy club can be a formidable force when challenged, and we will continue to fight for our due respect in this competition.

I like the sentiment. I hope we can stand up for ourselves when the challenge next presents itself and, the indications are that it will happen at some stage of the journey.

• Like 1

A number of people have commented on positive things from Mclarty's speech last week.

I have read parts of it on the MFC site and a couple of things worry me.

It said "McLardy was adamant the club did not want fickle supporters who chose to support
the Demons only in good times".

I am sure we want anyone who buys a membership. of course there will be people who lose interest after five nears at the bottom.

But why give them a reason to not join.

If I was wavering my response would be " oh the MFC don't need me confirms what I was thinking"

I cannot see any reason to say that, no upside in my view.

He also said "dismissed as just making up the numbers"

The people saying this are right we have been and in 2012 we were irrelevant.

Again not sure why you would say that.

“The cost of the investigation and the $500,000 fine has and will hurt us. We
are currently reforecasting our financial position in light of that,” he
said.

“Our aim has always been to remain operating debt free and post a profit, but
this will be sorely tested this year.

Is this a warning of a big loss in 2013?

I have a bad feeling about 2013, unless we show a marked improvement on the field it is looking very glum.

• Like 1

A number of people have commented on positive things from Mclarty's speech last week.

It said "McLardy was adamant the club did not want fickle supporters who chose to support

I am sure we want anyone who buys a membership. of course there will be people who lose interest after five nears at the bottom.

If I was wavering my response would be " oh the MFC don't need me confirms what I was thinking"

He also said "dismissed as just making up the numbers"

The people saying this are right we have been and in 2012 we were irrelevant.

Again not sure why you would say that.

“The cost of the investigation and the $500,000 fine has and will hurt us. We

are currently reforecasting our financial position in light of that,” he

said.

“Our aim has always been to remain operating debt free and post a profit, but

this will be sorely tested this year.

Is this a warning of a big loss in 2013?

I have a bad feeling about 2013, unless we show a marked improvement on the field it is looking very glum.

Old Dee, he is as sick of so called supporters of the Club doing nothing but bag the Club at every opportunity, as I am.

I have seen some of the 'correspondence he refers to.

Yes everybody knows a million mistakes have been made but let's move on, either put up or shut up

No, the Club and in particular Cam Schwab and the Board will be working their arses off to make sure the Club stays financially viable

Just read Rpfc post below, my above still stands, he is saying you are either IN or OUT, it is your decision, the Club can't change anything that has happened, just trying to ensure it will never happen again

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

It was a very combative passage. I don't like drawing lines like that publicly.

If he is that combative with the media and the AFL then great - but just cool that rhetoric with lapsed members until we are decent again.

Doesn't mean I think he is wholly wrong, but it isn't a great PR move IMO.

rpfc and satriconhome I agree with you both but I just do not see any upside to that comment below

"McLardy was adamant the club did not want fickle supporters who chose to support

so he is tired of talking to disappointed supporters so what it goes with the job.

Start winning DM and the problem will reduce in a major way.

rpfc and satriconhome I agree with you both but I just do not see any upside to that comment below

"McLardy was adamant the club did not want fickle supporters who chose to support

so he is tired of talking to disappointed supporters so what it goes with the job.

Start winning DM and the problem will reduce in a major way.

People don't stop supporting because they're disappointed. They stop supporting because they don't care anymore.

I find it really hard to stop caring about something that provokes strong emotions of any kind.

but isn't that the problem Chook

If you are not a fanatic then you lose interest after sustained pain.

six years is a long time to be in the bottom couple of teams with little evidence of improvement.

People stop to stop the pain.

You and I will probably go on because we find it impossible to stop.

We are in the minority Chook.

• Like 1

Gents, fellow posters, lend me your ears.......the number of posts on here asking EVERYBODY at the Club to harden up and when Don McLardy does, it is too hard, that's what I and Don are talking about, the no-win situation.

You can sense the frustration in his voice, I was't there, other commitments, but I wish I was just for his speech, now that I've seen it

• Like 2

but isn't that the problem Chook

If you are not a fanatic then you lose interest after sustained pain.

six years is a long time to be in the bottom couple of teams with little evidence of improvement.

People stop to stop the pain.

You and I will probably go on because we find it impossible to stop.

We are in the minority Chook.

While that's true, people who give up easily also jump on when the times are good. When we eventually become a decent team again, the waverers will come back into the fold.

Gents, fellow posters, lend me your ears.......the number of posts on here asking EVERYBODY at the Club to harden up and when Don McLardy does, it is too hard, that's what I and Don are talking about, the no-win situation.

You can sense the frustration in his voice, I was't there, other commitments, but I wish I was just for his speech, now that I've seen it

Well it is good to know he is as frustrated as most of us.

I will never like them dc

They suggest to me that we are buried in the past.

The Baggy Green cap looks pretty old fashioned as well!

Our cricket team should instead be wearing baseball caps - back to front of course!

Otherwise thanks to everyone for the reports.

Edited by Dee Dee

The Baggy Green cap looks pretty old fashioned as well!

Our cricket team should instead be wearing baseball caps - back to front of course!

Otherwise thanks to everyone for the reports

The baggy green is a part of the uniform when they play the game.

The correct comparison is to compare the Cricket Blazer to the MFC Blazer.

IMO they are both ordinary.

As I said elsewhere on this thread it is a small annoyance

I just don't like what it represents.