Training - Monday 11th February, 2013

Whispering_Jack

Just having a bit of fun... And amusing myself in the process. You know, small minds and all that. It's almost a troll, because I know I'll reel in a few.

Btw, Riewoldt didn't become a borderline star until he was 21, but he won a Best & Fairest at 19. How does that compare with Jack's 16th placing at 21 ? Riewoldt was also an AA at 21. But MOST importantly, Riewoldt has always played with tremendous courage. He's the antithesis of Watts.

He kicked 21 goals in that year averaging 10 possessions and 6 marks.

In 2011, where Jack wasn't playing back line he averaged 16.1 possessions kicked 21 goals and averaged 5.6 marks per game.

Jack has shown glimpses albeit not consistently enough, but to say he hasn't the skill to carry Nick's bags is just comedy.

FWIW, for an 'educated' person like yourself, I thought you'd be the first to validate that the biggest laughs come not from the person being trolled but moreso the troll themself.

Enjoy your afternoon, Professor.

Edited by Demon Land 7
  • Like 1

Sorry to get back to the topic, but....

One positive thing I did notice in my time there yesterday was the boy Blease doing long, unrewarded running from deep back to be in a position to receive mid-field. And not requiring resuscitation when he got there. In contrast to games last year where he would have hands on knees, and breathing heavily just doing a normal chase.

The good thing about this is that it is not a Pollyana-type comment ("Bleaser is on fire" in not real match situations) - this is something that he will bring to his game this year as a real improvement. To my eye, anyway!

• Like 4

I expect Watts to be Nick Riewoldt ? incorrect. He's not up to carrying Riewoldt's bag into the ground.

If you're contending that because Jack doesn't have the same courage as Nick doesn't make him fit to carry his bag you see AFL completely the wrong way. Courage is a great attribute and one I admire greatly, however some of the best had scarce amounts of it. Is Lewis Jetta up to carry Nick's bags?

Sorry to get back to the topic, but....

One positive thing I did notice in my time there yesterday was the boy Blease doing long, unrewarded running from deep back to be in a position to receive mid-field. And not requiring resuscitation when he got there. In contrast to games last year where he would have hands on knees, and breathing heavily just doing a normal chase.

The good thing about this is that it is not a Pollyana-type comment ("Bleaser is on fire" in not real match situations) - this is something that he will bring to his game this year as a real improvement. To my eye, anyway!

The kid has worked really hard and the Neeld regime is bringing the best out of him. Still a bit to go but is right on track.

If you're contending that because Jack doesn't have the same courage as Nick doesn't make him fit to carry his bag you see AFL completely the wrong way. Courage is a great attribute and one I admire greatly, however some of the best had scarce amounts of it. Is Lewis Jetta up to carry Nick's bags?

Right now Watts competes with a handicap. He's not competing on a level playing field, because his mind won't allow him to. Until Watts can compete physically and without trepidation he'll be a mile fulfilling his natural ability. It's the little things that you miss as a spectator, which doesn't allow you to analyse his performances accurately, so understandably you think I'm just a meanie. I can live with that.

Let's not keep going around in circles. Just accept that my opinion is shared by many and your opinion is shared by those with rose coloured glasses.

The only soft person in this debate is the not so great man himself. Yes I'm talking about Ben Hur. Ben reminds me a bit like Sammy Newman. Loves to learn a newword and then attack others whilst trying to look intelligent himself. My definition of soft is those who put others down to make themselves look better.

The easy option is to throw abuse and attack others. Ben likes to do this to players and posters. I would have thought BH's definition of soft and pic of Watts constitutes player abuse.

• Like 3

Right now Watts competes with a handicap. He's not competing on a level playing field, because his mind won't allow him to. Until Watts can compete physically and without trepidation he'll be a mile fulfilling his natural ability. It's the little things that you miss as a spectator, which doesn't allow you to analyse his performances accurately, so understandably you think I'm just a meanie. I can live with that.

Let's not keep going around in circles. Just accept that my opinion is shared by many and your opinion is shared by those with rose coloured glasses.

That stuff above competes with every dictator that every ruled a country....Arrogant.....Demeaning....Foolish.......

Hi... intra club practice match on Friday morning at Casey Fields.. but time not confirmed yet... call to Melbourme FC advises best to check on http://www.melbournefc.com.au/season/training-times for updates..

PS Thanks to all who responded to my earlier query...

Go Dees!.. it appears (remotely) that pre training is going very well.. Will Dawes sit in the forward line?.. I would like to see him at CHB..the back line is still suspect... needs a big experienced man to help Watts ... and Howe and Clark can feed the goals...

Lots of good feeling this season...but would like to see if the basic skills have improved and that the "game plan" has been settled instead of the haphazard efforts of 2102...

Geejazzer, Sydney

Ben-Hur sounds like a [censored], but what he is saying is spot on. It's the split seconds of hesitation that hold Watts back, it's subtle but it's there.

You can add James Strauss as a player who also hesitates and does not back himself 100%. Brandan Matera had 3 opportunities in the 3rd qtr to kick goals against last year. Strauss was in no mans land. Just lucky he missed the lot. Unless he gains the confidence to back himself and get more involved he will be out of the side well before Watts.

As for Ben Hur, he has been a great contributor to this forum, I really enjoyed his training reports before Xmas and most of what he writes. No point in getting personal.

Kramer: [in Newman's ear] This guy's nothin' but a piece of crap...

Newman: You are nothing but a piece of crap.

Ron: Pardon me?

Kramer: [in Newman's ear] A piece of crap...

Newman: A piece of crap.

Kramer: [in Newman's ear] I find you extremely ugly...

Newman: I find you extremely ugly.

Ron: *Do* you?

Kramer: [in Newman's ear] You emit a foul and unpleasant odour...

Newman: You emit a foul and unpleasant odour.

Ron: Oh, is that right?

Kramer: [in Newman's ear] I *loathe* you...

Newman: I *loathe* you.

• Like 1

He kicked 21 goals in that year averaging 10 possessions and 6 marks.

In 2011, where Jack wasn't playing back line he averaged 16.1 possessions kicked 21 goals and averaged 5.6 marks per game.

Jack has shown glimpses albeit not consistently enough, but to say he hasn't the skill to carry Nick's bags is just comedy.

FWIW, for an 'educated' person like yourself, I thought you'd be the first to validate that the biggest laughs come not from the person being trolled but moreso the troll themself.

Enjoy your afternoon, Professor.

It must be noted that Nick Riewoldt spent significant time in 2002 - his first B&F season at St Kilda - playing at centre half back.

Also, I'm not sure where you got your stats from but my resource (AFL Tables) says he averaged 14.5 touches and 8.1 marks to go with his 21 goals.

Considering Riewoldt led the league for marks (178) and won the Saints' B&F, polling 11 Brownlow votes, it's fair to say that Jack Watts' 2011 was a fair way behind Nick Riewoldt's 2002.

The only soft person in this debate is the not so great man himself. Yes I'm talking about Ben Hur. Ben reminds me a bit like Sammy Newman. Loves to learn a newword and then attack others whilst trying to look intelligent himself. My definition of soft is those who put others down to make themselves look better.

The easy option is to throw abuse and attack others. Ben likes to do this to players and posters. I would have thought BH's definition of soft and pic of Watts constitutes player abuse.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but internet forums won't hurt me.

FFS, lighten and harden up.

Hi... intra club practice match on Friday morning at Casey Fields.. but time not confirmed yet... call to Melbourme FC advises best to check on http://www.melbournefc.com.au/season/training-times for updates..

PS Thanks to all who responded to my earlier query...

Go Dees!.. it appears (remotely) that pre training is going very well.. Will Dawes sit in the forward line?.. I would like to see him at CHB..the back line is still suspect... needs a big experienced man to help Watts ... and Howe and Clark can feed the goals...

Lots of good feeling this season...but would like to see if the basic skills have improved and that the "game plan" has been settled instead of the haphazard efforts of 2102...

Geejazzer, Sydney

Dawes CHB? Really? Backline suspect? I think it is the midfield, fwd line suspect which have both been bolstered.