FAREWELL MATTHEW BATE

Whispering_Jack

I would imagine that Bater is more frustrated than the other delisted players given the fact the Dogs were keen last year. Neeld obviously saw a role in the team for Bater the ultimately he could not hold down.

I'm fairly certain he will picked up by another club but unsure if the Dogs are still sniffing.

Thanks for the service, Bater.

The coach has made the right decision.

• Like 1

The effort was always there with Bater, but not necessarily the talent ........ particularly in more recent years when the game moved up a notch and and left him behind. Thanks, and good luck Matty.

Leadership is shown through many difficult to define attributes.

Bater has displayed loyalty to the club by admitting his own deficiencies during the hardest of times.

His acknowledgement of "trying" his best should be presented to the AFL as critical evidence from a player during that period that we did not deliberatly lose. WE just weren't good enough with what we had.

Bater did provide some excellent passages but unfortunately it was not the full symphony.

Perhaps he has learnt more from the darkest of periods than many will learn travelling in the light

Good luck to him in whatever path he goes down.

He won so many awards, including the Morrish Medal, two top 4 finishes in the MFC B&F. Promised so much. Strange really. Good luck to him.

Not sure if that says more about Bate or dilutes the MFC B&F results....

• Like 1

I think he will be remembered as a very honest hard worker, who never gave up but whom the pace of the game passed by.

Thanks for the memories - and good luck somewhere.

Bater was one of my favourite players during the dark times over the last 10 years. I feel he has been poorly coached and deserved much better in the way of reciprocal loyalty and attitude. Other, more-favored players like Sylvia, Moloney & Morton were given endless opportunities for little return whereas Matty Bates was never given a sustained opportunity to cement himself in the team. Another sad end to a bright beginning. Having said that, I'm glad we didn't trade him last year as that woud have been an even bigger disappointment. I wish him well for the future.

• Like 3

I grew to like Matty and I' m disappointed to see him go, I still had hope for him and thought that all he needed was a sustained period of time in the side. He always started off slow and improved as the year went on.

See ya Matty , good luck hope you get a gig and if you play well against us I won't hold it against you.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all players we have let go he is the one that I hope goes on and plays well for the bullies - I have no understanding why I feel that way - I guess he has always been "honest" on the footy ground.

bastards, they always wanted him and knew they could get him without trading. So should have taken that pick in the 30s last year.

It was pick 39 and there wasn't much talent after that pick:

39. Western Bulldogs - Michael Talia (Calder Cannons/Greenvale)

40. North Melbourne - Tom Curran (Oakleigh Chargers/Ashburton Junior)

41. Adelaide - Mitchell Grigg (Norwood/Athelstone)

42. St Kilda - Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy/Brighton)

43. Sydney Swans - Jordan Lockyer (West Perth/Joondalup Kinross Junior)

44. Carlton - Sam Rowe (Norwood/Sydney Swans)

45. Port Adelaide - Brendon Ah Chee (South Fremantle/Kelmscott Junior)

46. Adelaide - Nicholas Joyce (Eagles/Crystal Brook)

47. Brisbane Lions - Patrick Wearden (Murray Bushrangers/Kyabram)

48. Geelong - Jordan Murdoch (Glenelg/Port Macdonnell)

ROUND THREE

49. Western Bulldogs - Daniel Pearce (Oakleigh Chargers/Templestowe)

50. Collingwood - Jackson Paine (Sandringham Dragons/East Malvern Junior)

51. Port Adelaide - Nathan Blee (East Perth/Ballajura Junior)

52. Melbourne - Josh Tynan (Gippsland Power/Garfield)

53. Hawthorn - Alex Woodward (Sandringham Dragons/Noble Park Junior)

54. Melbourne - James Sellar (Adelaide/PHOS Camden)

55. Richmond - Matthew Arnot (Oakleigh Chargers/Vermont)

56. GWS Giants - Tom Downie (North Ballarat Rebels/Benalla Junior)

57. Western Bulldogs - Tory Dickson (Bendigo Bombers/Beaconsfield)

58. Fremantle - Lachie Neale (Glenelg/Kybybolite)

59. Essendon - Nicholas O'Brien (North Ballarat Rebels/Carngham Linton)

60. St Kilda - Jay Lever (Geelong Falcons/South Barwon)

61. Sydney Swans - Alex Brown (Oakleigh Chargers/Doncaster Heights Junior)

62. Carlton (FS) - Dylan Buckley (Northern Knights/Fitzroy Reds)

63. West Coast Eagles (PR) - Ashton Hams (West Coast Eagles)

64. Adelaide - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (Woodville-West Torrens/Flinders Park)

65. Collingwood - Corey Gault (Swan Districts/Mazenod Junior)

66. Geelong - Lincoln McCarthy (Glenelg/Bordertown)

ROUND FOUR

67. Collingwood (SP) - Jarrod Witts (Sydney University/St Ives)

68. St Kilda - Beau Wilkes (West Coast Eagles)

69. Brisbane Lions (PR) - Mitchell Golby (Brisbane Lions)

70. Western Bulldogs (PR) - Luke Dahlhaus (Western Bulldogs)

71. Fremantle - Pass

72. Fremantle - Cameron Sutcliffe (Woodville West Torrens/Kadina)

73. Western Bulldogs (PR) - Matthew Panos (Western Bulldogs)

74. North Melbourne (PR) - Luke Delaney (North Melbourne)

75. Essendon (PR) - Stewart Crameri (Essendon)

76. St Kilda - Jason Blake (St Kilda)

77. Hawthorn (PR) - Luke Breust (Hawthorn)

78. Geelong - Orren Stephenson (North Ballarat/Redan)