Message from the President...

Sir Why You Little

Guest José Mourinho

My "preparing for the worst" comment only meant to cover every contingency.

Say is little as possible, just in case the worst happens and they try to sanction us.

That's all I meant, if it was in reference to my post.

Me either. It seems to be the MFCSS people (expecting the worst) plus the anti-Schwab/Connolly brigade (wanting the worst). As supporters all we can really do is let it take its course then react if anything happens.

Clint - you can go shove this comment if you ask me. All supporters will have their own views, opinions, etc. Just because some supporters think that we might be in trouble, does NOT mean we have MFCSS.

Yes, I beleive we are in trouble. Friends of mine who don't barrack for the MFC think we are in trouble (I will add that I value the opinions of some associates of mine).

I don't go throwing around the "head in the sand" line to those who think we've got nothing to worry about. At the end of the day, it's your opinion, just like it is mine, and carrying on with the "MFCSS" crap will not change mine.

I DO hope the MFC are cleared of any wrong-doing, but at this stage, I don't think we will be. Why don't you line us all up and shoot us so that Demonland can be the nice happy positive place that you obviously need it to be.

• Like 1

I just get the impression the MFC are preparing to take this to court..

If they are preparing to to take a certain journo to court over the rumors and innuendo put about as "truth" with no use of the word "alleged" anywhere in her articles, I would be very happy. Trial by media like this is despicable.

Even if things are not looking good for us right now, that does not give any journo the right to carry out what is looking more and more like a personal vendetta.

Edited by BangkokDemon
  • Like 6

I like the word highlighted:

"The board has sought an assurance from the AFL that natural justice will be afforded to the MFC, its players, employees and staff through the investigation."

A mixture of warning to the AFL and a message to journos who are unfamiliar with the concept (as well as a few posters on this forum - you know who you are).

• Like 1

If they are preparing to to take a certain journo to court over the rumors and innuendo put about as "truth" with no use of the word "alledged" anywhere in her articles, I would be very happy. Trial by media like this is despicable.

exactly...& i have a feeling the AFL know their grey definitionof "Tanking" would not stand up in a court of law.

Vlad was still denying "tanking" yesterday from the radio grabs i heard.

Edited by why you little

Sounds like he knows we're screwed and is hoping to punish individuals rather than the team.

Is the sky falling? No. But I have grave concerns for the future of the MFC. All will depend on the consequences handed down by the AFL in my opinion (if we are found guilty).

if Chris Connelly did what they said he did and demand they lose games or they get the sack he should be sacked now but l don't believe it, it just wouldn't happen. The media is making up things as they go along, especially frickin' Denham.

• Like 1

Clint - you can go shove this comment if you ask me. All supporters will have their own views, opinions, etc. Just because some supporters think that we might be in trouble, does NOT mean we have MFCSS.

Yes, I beleive we are in trouble. Friends of mine who don't barrack for the MFC think we are in trouble (I will add that I value the opinions of some associates of mine).

I don't go throwing around the "head in the sand" line to those who think we've got nothing to worry about. At the end of the day, it's your opinion, just like it is mine, and carrying on with the "MFCSS" crap will not change mine.

I DO hope the MFC are cleared of any wrong-doing, but at this stage, I don't think we will be. Why don't you line us all up and shoot us so that Demonland can be the nice happy positive place that you obviously need it to be.

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to feel differently about things.

I really don't think we can possibly be hung out to dry without at least 4 other clubs getting the same, and I'm not sure AFL HQ will wanting to sanction a third of the clubs in the league as it is guaranteed to end up in a massive shitfight that no-one needs, especially when there is currently no clear definition of what constitutes tanking.

If the worst comes to occur, the punishment should be no more than what we gained through 'tanking' if that is what it is, and that is having our 2013 first round pick taken from us. No more than that, and I even think that is too much given the whole thing is subjective and open to conjecture.

Edited by Clintosaurus
  • Like 2

If they are preparing to to take a certain journo to court over the rumors and innuendo put about as "truth" with no use of the word "alleged" anywhere in her articles, I would be very happy. Trial by media like this is despicable.

Even if things are not looking good for us right now, that does not give any journo the right to carry out what is looking more and more like a personal vendetta.

l would love to see these people, Wilson and Denham go to court, they have been making it up as they go along.

l would love to see these people, Wilson and Denham go to court, they have been making it up as they go along.

Dave, I admire your confidence. But the fact that they keep pushing and pushing this issue makes me wonder if they really are making it up, or do know that there is evidence out there and are "guiding" the AFL in the direction of which to find it.

Sounds like we are preparing to sacrifice some old admin boys in order to save the team.

If that is the extent of the punishment then I will pop the champagne cork.

Needs to happen

"The Board of the MFC is concerned to ensure that the MFC is treated fairly and properly. The board will fully co-operate with an independent, lawful and transparent process. The board has sought an assurance from the AFL that natural justice will be afforded to the MFC, its players, employees and staff through the investigation.

Natural justice means the Club gets a chance to assess the evidence once it is presented and then has a chance to prepare an answer. The Club's lawyers as a matter of natural justice should be able to review any report in great detail and to interview all of the people who's evidence is being relied on.

At the very least that is going to take considerable time. I can't see how they would achieve this before the Draft in which case pick 4 would be safe. However, from memory, they just stripped Carlton of it's picks with no notice a few days before the draft, so who knows. Having said all of this, I'm not going to spend any more energy worrying about the hypotheticals of what is going to happen until it happens.

Sounds like we are preparing to sacrifice some old admin boys in order to save the team.

If that is the extent of the punishment then I will pop the champagne cork.

I think if the old admin boys go then natural justice will have been served though probably one year too late. I will always feel that Bailey needed to go in 2011. The inmates were running the asylum, players were being gifted games just because they were who they were and the team turned up it's tail when real pressure was applied. However, with some of these revelations about Connolly and Schwab coming out, I can see how his job was made pretty bloody hard. As in most things in life, there is no black and white, only shades of grey. Was Bailey's regime indicative of all the stuff I wrote above? Yup. Were the two figures above lowering morale in 2009 and 2011 with their bloody mindedness and adoping a strategy that is morally repugnant as well as setting up the shitty culture that has inflitrated the club? I would suggest so. After what has been revealed now (the details seem way too specific just to blow it off as people with an axe to grind), it would seem that both parties were equally culpable for the downfall of the MFC in 2011-2012.

Edited by Guest

Some of you lot are bloody good at seeing sentences that arent there.

Mclardy isnt conceding anything.. its a veiled warning if anything.

• Like 5

Natural justice means the Club gets a chance to assess the evidence once it is presented and then has a chance to prepare an answer. The Club's lawyers as a matter of natural justice should be able to review any report in great detail and to interview all of the people who's evidence is being relied on.

At the very least that is going to take considerable time. I can't see how they would achieve this before the Draft in which case pick 4 would be safe. However, from memory, they just stripped Carlton of it's picks with no notice a few days before the draft, so who knows. Having said all of this, I'm not going to spend any more energy worrying about the hypotheticals of what is going to happen until it happens.

Completely different......One was a clear offence of salery cap breaches which is defined in the laws......The other is "tanking" in which the laws are not so clear....

The statement from Don is virtually an admission of guilt and is preparation for please we will comply with all requests we have done wrong please be merciful upon us.

In these type of situations a different type of leader is required one who is prepared to go to war against media commentators and the AFL if necessary

A response along the lines of The Melbourne Football Club strongly denies any allegations of tanking against the club and will be using all avenues in the court of law to defend its name against malicious media beatups and in the event any sponsorships or declining membership is encountered in 2013 legal proceeedings will be instigated.

Fight like never before Melbourne stand up and dont be [censored] weak like we were when our board voted to merge with the Hawks.

A considered statement. No knee jerk "pi55 off AFL" Eddie or Kennett style that could add fuel to the fire, nor anything that could be construed as incriminating.

Also that we have moved on from whatever whoever may have allegedly done, but no admission.

Just what is needed at this stage.

But I hope he has a far more vociferous statement ready for if we are hung out to dry whilst others snigger.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

The statement from Don is virtually an admission of guilt and is preparation for please we will comply with all requests we have done wrong please be merciful upon us.

In these type of situations a different type of leader is required one who is prepared to go to war against media commentators and the AFL if necessary

A response along the lines of The Melbourne Football Club strongly denies any allegations of tanking against the club and will be using all avenues in the court of law to defend its name against malicious media beatups and in the event any sponsorships or declining membership is encountered in 2013 legal proceeedings will be instigated.

Fight like never before Melbourne stand up and dont be [censored] weak like we were when our board voted to merge with the Hawks.

Two words: Boll ocks

• Like 2

if Chris Connelly did what they said he did and demand they lose games or they get the sack he should be sacked now but l don't believe it, it just wouldn't happen. The media is making up things as they go along, especially frickin' Denham.

I can't believe for one nanosecond that CC would've said something so daft.

Total bullsh!t imo.

I agree Chippy.

This statement is an admission of nothing. When they use the words "transparent", "independent" and being "treated fairly" it's a direct reference to the speculation, rumour, hearsay and possible untruths being dished up in the newspapers.

• Like 5

Sharp advice - not.

Do NOT come out swinging until all is revealed and you know exactly what you are swinging at. How would your advice look, coming out and deny deny deny and then when the investigation is completed a piece of rock solid damning evidence is put in front of the MFC ????????

It is a good statement from Don as it implies that there are certain standards of justice we require whilst denying or admitting nothing.

Let all the evidence be presented by the investigator - then you know EXACTLY what you are denying and know exactly how to defend.

• Like 6

I agree Chippy.

This statement is an admission of nothing. When they use the words "transparent", "independent" and being "treated fairly" it's a direct reference to the speculation, rumour, hearsay and possible untruths being dished up in the newspapers.

I also assume that it means that they will need to see charges and have the opportunity to defend the club. That implies a formal legal process. That can take a lot of time...and the AFL will then have the investigation process (this one and the last one) formally examined in public.

I'm sure they are happy about that.

• Like 1