• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brilliant Strategy Unfolding

Bring Back Barassi

The DB mantra was "get rid off the old guard, get games into the kids". This strategy clearly failed, leading to a dysfunctional culture devoid of leadership and structure that culminated in 186.

Neeld walks in and declares his aim is to make us "the toughest team to play against"

In his first year, he is left with the legacy of the DB years. He restructures the coaching and management side of things, but is left with the same cattle. He makes it clear that what is needed is:

1. Fitness

2. Toughness

3. Defense

The year ends with few wins, however, it is now clear to him who can fit in within his framework and who cant. He looks at who is available on the market, and quite successfully attracts a good number of experienced players to the fold whose main purpose is to enforce the culture HE is creating.

Its clear to me now that Neelds strategy is broad and well thought out. He is cleaning out the softness and replacing it with toughness. He is instilling us with courage and determination.

• Like 15

Agree DDD

But as Rino said the proof will be winning games. I don't think it will happen overnight for the MFC but I am confident this strategy of chopping the weak for competitors will eventually pay good dividends....

Here's hoping we can win some games in 2013 - and good on MN and the Footy department for breathing some life in to this list....

you'll get a few 'likes' for this

complete speculation though

Overall I disagree with our specific Ins and outs, but I do applaud the plan of action to change the culture. 8 years of irrelevancy is plenty.

Agree won't happen overnight but hopefully its a start.

The blokes we've brought in are on life-lines i'd rather them playing their hearts out than the crap being served up this year

It seems anytime there are changes at the club, everyone starts shouting about how great we are looking and we see a few threads like this. But who says these changes will be any different to any other changes made over the last 5 years.

With the recruitment of older heads and strong bodies and the discarding of young skinny kids with potential, expectations must surely have risen next year in terms of how competitive we will be short term. Will be interesting to see the potential [censored] storm if we start like we did this year.

As Rhino said, the proof will be in the pudding.

you'll get a few 'likes' for this

complete speculation though

Overall I disagree with our specific Ins and outs, but I do applaud the plan of action to change the culture. 8 years of irrelevancy is plenty.

We played finals in 2006? We were relevant then,

lol keep trying to convince yourselves that. It's almost like the more you say it the less convincing if is.

We have effectively given up Martin and Morton for nothing, lost Rivers and Moloney for pick 49 and Shannon Byrnes, have an inconsistent forward on half a mill a year (as well as given up a first round pick), and replaced Gysberts for another VFL standard player.

Sure we may be looking at bringing a hardness and experience to the team but VFL standard players in Rodan, Byrnes, and Pedersen is not the way to go.

• Like 3

I'm not expecting any massive turnarounds in form (edit: at least in the first half of the year). Our trade period reminds me of the merry-go-round approach that most english premiership soccer teams take during their transfer windows. Usually when a team brings in a bunch of mature players from other clubs it takes at least 1/2 a season for them to start gelling as a team so I'd imagine the Dees will go through a similar transition in 2013. The second half of the year will be the interesting time for me. If we haven't turned a corner by the time we play the Queens birthday clash then it could be a very bad year for Melbourne.

Rodan and Brynes are decent players - the reason they didnt get games at their previous clubs was due to their age, not on field performance.

As for Dawes, he could be a dud, or could be really good fro us. I think a change of scenery will be good for him.

Agree DDD

But as Rino said the proof will be winning games. I don't think it will happen overnight for the MFC but I am confident this strategy of chopping the weak for competitors will eventually pay good dividends....

Here's hoping we can win some games in 2013 - and good on MN and the Footy department for breathing some life in to this list....

Nah, the proof won't be in 2013. that will be more about our mature signings.

The cleanout will show more over the next 5 Yr period of improved culture & endeavor.

IMO it won't be so obvious next year, but continued improvements each year with hard won footy the Demon hallmark.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what happened to pick 49?

Just looked at mfc web page and either there is a misprint or else at some stage it (nee pick 48) went to North Melbourne ...

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/150356/default.aspx

...outrageous if that is the case!

I am overall happy with the fact that we have been aggressive with some trades and mark Neeld is puttin together a team that he feels he can work with. The team clearly needed some turnover. Over the next 2-3 years we will find out if it works... Gysberts was one I really wanted to keep but I don't really know what goes on at the club. In Neeld I trust!

• Like 3

Nah, the proof won't be in 2013. that will be more about our mature signings.

The cleanout will show more over the next 5 Yr period of improved culture & endeavor.

IMO it won't be so obvious next year, but continued improvements each year with hard won footy the Demon hallmark.

Agree DD -

I was more alluding to our signings and trades from the last few weeks - 2013 will tell if they are good moves or not.

The rest I agree with - Our core group are kids they need time. Neeld is making sure we are at least competitive in 2013 and I like it. Im tired of losing and losing to sh#$ teams

• Like 2

So it looks like;

FB: Nicholson, McDonald, Garland

HB: Dunn, Frawley, Watts

C: Trengove, Grimes, Howe

HF: Blease, Dawes, Byrnes

FF: Tapscott, Clarke, Pedderson

Fol: Jamar, Jones, Sylvia

int: Winsey, Vines, McKenzie, Davey

emg: Petterd, Jetta, Gawn

:-)

I am happy!

Sorry guys couldn't disagree more. The coach has selected discards who may win him enough games to keep his job at years end. What do Rodan and Byrnes offer beyond 1 or 2 seasons. It is outrageous to expect Viney and Wines (if selected) to come in and make an instant impact. Where are the class highly skilled players, the game breakers and match winners. Neeld is a first year coach who frankly I don't think could train pigs to be dirty. What is his long term strategy didn't he say say he was pleased to take over such a great list that wasn't at rock bottom. NO he took us there, insisted on a game style our list couldn't play and has given away Morton, Gysberts and Martin for peanuts. Just watch martin and Gys develop at other clubs

I am amazed that so many people believe there was so much potential in the players that we traded, yet very little if no potential in those we got. At some point in time you have to say you have put enough time and effort into these players waiting for them to show their value. Truth is most of those that performing after a couple of years never will. I for one are pretty happy with who we got, I dont recall anyone talking about any of those that we picked up as being lazy, not putting in, etc... I wish Gys and Cale, etc all the best in their new teams, and hope for themselves they can do better.

• Like 4

Sorry guys couldn't disagree more. The coach has selected discards who may win him enough games to keep his job at years end. What do Rodan and Byrnes offer beyond 1 or 2 seasons. It is outrageous to expect Viney and Wines (if selected) to come in and make an instant impact. Where are the class highly skilled players, the game breakers and match winners. Neeld is a first year coach who frankly I don't think could train pigs to be dirty. What is his long term strategy didn't he say say he was pleased to take over such a great list that wasn't at rock bottom. NO he took us there, insisted on a game style our list couldn't play and has given away Morton, Gysberts and Martin for peanuts. Just watch martin and Gys develop at other clubs

I think you have to be wary of so many wholesale changes in the core list and how this affects the playing group and the team gelling. It takes a year for a team to start to gel well. I don't think older players are great in this regard as they may have a transient effect on the team. 25-26 should be the max age we target but these are very hard to find.

While we are overloaded with youngsters, we can't make this many changes every year all we will never go anywhere.

I have previously spoken about my serious concerns and absolute disapproval with Neeld. This trade period has exacerbated my concerns. Yes, our club will win more games in 2013 and will be significantly more competitive. However in my opinion we are further away than ever from making the top 4, let alone winning a flag which now looks beyond us this decade.

We have sacrificed our talent and future for short term gain. We have recruited veterans as if our premiership window was open. It is not, history proves youth is the key and we have sold this out for players who are not as good as the players we have recently forced into retirement. These newly recruited veterans will be long retired by the time our traded players would come into peak. It makes no sense except short term job security for Neeld. For example surely it would have been better to keep Green, Gysberts and Martin than trade for Roden, and Brynes...... this is a insulting joke. We paid full price for all recruits bar Viney and although I see Melbourne playing more watchable, more aggressive, and tougher in 2013 I can’t see this group ever making the finals. In my view we have guaranteed the MFC will remain in the 2nd division for the next decade at least. This is a threat to our survival.

Don't get me wrong I wish my view is proved wrong. I just can't see a build for a premiership with these players and tactics, all I can see is a sell out for mid table competitiveness.... ake Richmond under Wallace. God I hope I am wrong but I feel Neeld will prove to be the worst mistake since sacking Norm Smith.

• Like 3