Plumbing the depths of journalism

Chelly

Denham and a buddy from the Murdoch Oz suggests Malthouse is after Jack Watts in this piece - Magpie Sharrod Wellingham heads home to West Coast Eagles.

Meanwhile, three days before the official player exchange period starts, Carlton is showing surprising interest in Melbourne's 2008 No 1 national draft selection Jack Watts.

The Blues' curiosity is understood to have come from new coach Mick Malthouse and could turn into a pursuit should either Watts or the Demons wish to mutually part company.

A number of senior Melbourne players have explored interest from rival clubs over the past month and the Blues are understood to be set to test Watts's relationship with the lowly club and its first-year coach, Mark Neeld.

Malthouse and Watts have had a bittersweet relationship, which started during the pre-season competition when the multiple-premiership coach questioned the 22-year-old's workrate. Several months later he became a sounding board for Watts when he took on an informal mentoring role with the player, who was struggling with form.

In a surprising twist, Watts sought Malthouse's counsel after being the subject, yet again, of intense scrutiny because of his inability to live up to the hype associated with a No 1 pick.

The teenager was taken in the draft one place over West Coast ruck sensation Nic Naitanui who, in his fourth season, won All-Australian selection.

Malthouse admitted the pair held regular football conversations that began at Watts's insistence.

"Jack is a ripping young lad," Malthouse said earlier in the season. "I think the kid just needs a bit of reassurance but he has not had it from the media because they still think he is the No 1 draft pick, which is not fair. I can, I suppose, give him another perspective."

During the pre-season, Malthouse said on radio that Watts lacked ambition and questioned his desire to be a "top-ranked" player.

Malthouse suggested Watts, originally drafted as a forward, play more in defence.

"If I can recommend to Neeldy ... get him on the backline and just see what he is like down there, because clearly in the forward line he wants to take the easy option, he wants to get in behind people, he wants the ball given to him all the time," Malthouse said.

Watts was given a rev-up by his coach late last year when Neeld challenged him by demanding he "develop a massive work ethic and appetite to play footy".

Watts has played 55 games, including 15 this season, after spending some time in the VFL.

This has as much credibility about it as when Malthouse was supposed to be after Cloke.

Joke!

I simply cannot trust this form of journalism.

It's buried in an article about something completely different and the only direct quotes on the subject aren't contemporary - they come from earlier in the season when Malthouse was commenting on Watts. It's a beat up par excellence but at least these bozos didn't follow the lead of some of former counterparts in their media stable by tapping phones.

Nice try by Denham and his mate but not close and no cigar.

Denham is some ones rent boy for sure

• Like 2

Just can't bring myself to consider Denham a football journalist (someone who is knowledgeable, researches, informed, unbiased); a role I respect a lot. Can't even credit him with being a football reporter (someone who tells it as it is using facts) ie worth listening to in moderation. At very best, at a stretch he would be a football commentator (speaks waffle, waffle, waffle), ie to be totally ignored! If there was a lower level of media classification he would qualify...maybe he just shouldn't be in the media at all! Discredits himself and the good name of journalism!

• Like 1

Carlton advised today on SEN that this was total rubbish. Greg Swann was the one who stated that it was untrue.

Denham has stooped to a new low! Can't express my disgust strongly enough at how far he will stoop to make Melbourne look bad - all to fuel his own anti-dees campaign. Like if he says crap about MFC often enough people will believe it on the theory of where there is 'smoke there is fire'. He is a loathsome person

When I read this threads title I knew that somewhere within the thread the stench of Denham would come to the fore. Surprise,surprise! I have sadly given up on football Journalism. The insatiable appetite to fill air time or column space has led to a total decline in the standards that were once the norm. These days I could count the football journalists / reporters that I respect on one hand and still have enough fingers left to muster an up yours to DENHAM.

up-yours_80992002.gif

UP YOUR DENHAM

Guest KingDingAling

Trade Week Radio just mentioned that Carlton have been in touch with them and this rumor is false.

Carlton is NOT chasing Jack Watts.

• Like 1

It has become increasingly obvious throughout the day that the story is nothing more than a beat up. I'm wondering whether tomorrow will see a retraction or apology in the Australian for this ridiculous piece of writing?

Nothing in the the Oz on line edition WJ but I suppose your question was rhetorical.

Meanwhile, this story in the Age sets the record straight - Watts rumours untrue, says Carlton CEO

In the words of Carlton's chief executive Greg Swann the suggestion that the Blues are after Demon Jack Watts is "absolute crap".

Make of it what you will but in view of the mendacity and spite shown by Denham against the Melbourne Football Club over a long time and the mischievous nature of this story, the words used by Swann are probably an entirely appropriate of his journalism as well.

bloody hell people...denham wrote this story......how can any of you even think for a minute there is a smidgen of truth to it....the guy has an issue with us (i would love to know what we did to him cos it must be bad), and he has a dig and tries to unsettle anytime he can. He isn't a journalist, he is a fool. Give a monkey a keyboard and it would come up with a better story.

Denham has a problem with CS, he needs to clear the air on this and not hide behind a campaign to smear the entire club. Come on Greg get some balls and tell us what the real issue is.

If Denham is in fact involved in a vendetta against our club because of his hatred of Cameron Schwab or the current board then he has an ethical problem that needs to be dealt with by his editors and himself. If there is a conflict of interest which is colouring the way he presents news and opinion it does him and his newspaper no good whatsoever. The example in the OP has made him look like an idiot.

If Denham is in fact involved in a vendetta against our club because of his hatred of Cameron Schwab or the current board then he has an ethical problem that needs to be dealt with by his editors and himself. If there is a conflict of interest which is colouring the way he presents news and opinion it does him and his newspaper no good whatsoever. The example in the OP has made him look like an idiot.

No doubt the reason behind his continual efforts to undermine the MFC revolve around some problem he has with CS. Its probably over 12 months ago now but I put it in the memory bank. In answer to one of KB's baiting questions on why he hates the Melbourne football club he made a veiled reference to lying or dishonest CEO. Now he has been caught making up stories & I hope next time he is on SEN he cops plenty