Thrilled to see Davis get a call up. I really hope he gets a game. I don't expect him to set the world on fire, but he's hard at it and shows great desperation.

Nicholson I think will have been brought in to sit on one of their small speedsters, Betts, Garlett or Yarran. If he plays a totally negating role then his kicking won't be such a huge issue. We certainly need the pace in the side.

• Like 2

Bit shocked also with Morton being dropped I thought he had strung 3-4 goods games together and like most his team mates had a shocker on Saturday. You might find this is similar to Jack Watts again I thought his matches prior to St Kilda where OK and he was bad against St Kilda but didn't expect him to be dropped, in both these cases to me it looks like Neeld and Co are saying we know you are talented but if you cant hit these targets week in week out you will go back to Casey, we will not play you because you are talented you need to hit your targets.

On the team Bail and Nicholson are in the top 5 runners at the club, Nicho is close to our best runner, we have got ridden of Davey who was close to our worst runner through pre-season and Sylvia that didn't reaaly have a pre-season and introduce to enduranced based players. Dunn has the ability to quick goals and can stop a player when given the job, Magner goes back into our midfield no more forward shut down roles this goes to Dunn and Dunny is a smart footballer he can shut down someone and still kick goals.

Love to see Tapscott get a run of 5-6 full games, I thought he was one of our better players against Geelong then he was subbed off and dropped. This again shows me that the coaches are assessing a lot more than how many times you get the footy.

I'd say Sellar and Dunn will play fwd and try to expose Carlton against taller type fwds. Problem being Sellar and Dunn couldn't catch a cold, Clark is still the only guy down there who can mark. Apologies to Howe, dosen't count because his marks are quickly followed up by poor disposal. Clark also the only player likely to chase or lay a tackle or pressure running defenders. Just wonder if McDonald will go forward this week.

Melbourne team

B: James Frawley, Jared Rivers, Clint Bartram

HB: Jack Grimes, Colin Garland, Tom McDonald

C: Rohan Bail, Brent Moloney, Sam Blease

HF: Jack Trengove, Jack Watts, Brad Green

F: Jeremy Howe, Mitch Clark, James Sellar

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Lynden Dunn, Nathan Jones

I/C: Jamie Bennell, Jordie McKenzie, Daniel Nicholson, James Magner

EMG: Joel Macdonald, Luke Tapscott, Troy Davis

IN: Rohan Bail, James Sellar, Lynden Dunn, Daniel Nicholson

OUT: Liam Jurrah (ankle), Aaron Davey, Colin Sylvia, Cale Morton

In years past the four outs would have been devastating to our chances, this year I have no idea.

I'm finding it hard to generate any enthusiasm for our chances on Sunday.

Which maybe a good sign.

or not.

Edited by PaulRB

For us to have any chance at all there would have to be at least half-a-dozen rapid digital extractions.

I was gonna have a bet but with Bennell, Green, Sellar, Moloney et al in the team I'll keep my hand in my pocket.

I think Bennell may have a negating role on Garlett he did this under Bailey and it wasn't his worst effort.

The only positve side of having Bennell in the team is his mildly amusing hair. Expect the him to skirt around packs pick up a mighty 5-6 possessions and perhaps chime in with a goal. I honeslty haven't seen any upside to a Bennell inclusion for some time. Whatever perceived attributes he brings to the team never eventuate. Perhaps he's a nice man, can't say I care though because as a footballer he's a flake.

The only positve side of having Bennell in the team is his mildly amusing hair. Expect the him to skirt around packs pick up a mighty 5-6 possessions and perhaps chime in with a goal. I honeslty haven't seen any upside to a Bennell inclusion for some time. Whatever perceived attributes he brings to the team never eventuate. Perhaps he's a nice man, can't say I care though because as a footballer he's a flake.

I reckon he must give the coaches a chubby at training - has good skills & good pace, can imagine he'd tick boxes in a drill haha

• Like 1

He has embarassing pictures of the FD

I reckon he must give the coaches a chubby at training - has good skills & good pace, can imagine he'd tick boxes in a drill haha

First you have to get the ball.

We've got 4 players with genuine speed this week - blease, bail, bennell & nicholson. Good thing cos Carlton are pretty quick.

And then when we worry about the other 16 or so not so quick players I look at the team comparisons and think we r f.......

I really don't get a lot of the retrospective Morton love here..

Morton has not strung together 3 or 4 good games. Morton hasn't strung together 3 or 4 good dinners FFS.

Morton is dropped from a side filled with losers. What does that tell you?

I agree with Moloney keeping his spot. I think he still has credits in the bank, unless he has revolted. But from what I know of Moloney, I think he is hurt by the leadership snub and in a form slump, so I would keep him in this week.

As for Bennell, I think Neeld has to play him to see whether he does or does not have a future beyond 2012. I personally think he needs to be settled into one position, not asked to fill in 3 - 4 positions just based on having pace.

Couch is too much of the same, but I agree with others that there was no reason to elevate him if we didn't think that he could fit into the side. Weird decision.

It may never click for Sellar, but if it does, we will have a big asset. Again, we didn't pick him to play at Casey, so I think they have to play him to know whether there is a future.

I think Colin has been shafted by the coaches. He should never ever have been rushed straight back into the side with no match conditioning, and with the expectation that he would perform under a new structure and regime, in a carp side. I think we put him under unfair pressure. Really, we should have played him through Casey and he should have only come back last week.

Annoyed that Tappy isn't playing.

Aaron had to go.

It, along with the subbing, tells me that Neeld thought Morton had a worse game than I thought he did. I wouldn't have taken either action but I don't have the same experience and the same information at hand - I'll bow to his judgement.

• Like 1

We still haven't got a small goal kicking forward like Betts or Garlett. Every other team seems to have a few. With Aussie gone, Davey hopeless, Lawrence not ready if ever, we haven't fixed this area.

Guest Jackie

We've got 4 players with genuine speed this week - blease, bail, bennell & nicholson. Good thing cos Carlton are pretty quick.

Looks like a harm minimalisation option to keep up with Carltons offensive quicks. Still I think they will at least double whatever we score.

Just a thought on Bennell... I recall watching his debut game against North in 09 in which the ginger ninja looked like a promising half back defender with 20 odd disposals and repelling attack after attack. I don't think Bennel got much of the ball that game (much like today), but one piece of play still sticks out in my mind. Near the defensive 50 on the wing, Bennell scooped up the ball at pace and proceeded to evade two North players, complete a 180 degree turn (as no one was there to provide an option) and nailed a 30 metre sizzling pace onto the chest of a Melbourne player down the line. I thought to myself, geez this kid has something.

He is now 54 games into his career and needs to be influencing games a lot more with his line breaking pace. A Bennell with 15 - 20 damaging disposals would do wonders for our fortunes and I can't help but be reminded of Geelong and the faith they had in Travis Varcoe. He was entrusted with the Number 5 jumper and big things were expected of him. On the training track he was tearing it up and no one could figure it out why he couldn't put it all together on game day. Then of course a couple years ago he exploded onto the scene and started to become a damaging player.

I'm sure Bailey had similar faith in this kid with his unconditional run of games and promotion to the number 7 jumper, however its hard to judge where he sits currently in Neelds mind. I hope he makes it.

• Like 2

Bennell doesn't pick himself to play in these games...I really get sick of the player bashing that never lets up on here. Talk about ferrel behavior...there are a number here who could walk straight into cheerleader positions at Essendon, the way they love to eat their own. Bennell is playing whether we like it of not, and that is NOT his fault.

Edited by hardtack

Bennell doesn't pick himself to play in these games... Bennell is playing whether we like it of not, and that is NOT his fault.

I don't think anyone is mad at Bennell for being picked in the side, hardtack. That he didn't choose himself doesn't make his selection or how he plays when he is selected any easier to swallow.

I don't think anyone is mad at Bennell for being picked in the side, hardtack. That he didn't choose himself doesn't make his selection or how he plays when he is selected any easier to swallow.

You're right of course Nasher, but if I was Bennell or Morton or MacDonald or Fitzpatrick or Moloney or Sylvia or etc etc, and read these forums, I wouldn't come away feeling too good having had more than just my playing ability questioned. Constructive criticism has a place, no doubt about that...but unfortunately, their are a number of posters who go almost to the opposite extreme with their criticisms which can become almost personal.

You're right of course Nasher, but if I was Bennell or Morton or MacDonald or Fitzpatrick or Moloney or Sylvia or etc etc, and read these forums, I wouldn't come away feeling too good having had more than just my playing ability questioned. Constructive criticism has a place, no doubt about that...but unfortunately, their are a number of posters who go almost to the opposite extreme with their criticisms which can become almost personal.

I couldn't agree more - I don't like seeing people get ultra personal either. Then again what they cop here isn't much different to what the neanderthals in the crowd yell out at matches (which I don't enjoy either). There's a good reason why players are told in no uncertain terms to stay away from these forums.

I really don't get a lot of the retrospective Morton love here..

Morton has not strung together 3 or 4 good games. Morton hasn't strung together 3 or 4 good dinners FFS.

I agree with Moloney keeping his spot. I think he still has credits in the bank, unless he has revolted. But from what I know of Moloney, I think he is hurt by the leadership snub and in a form slump, so I would keep him in this week.

As for Bennell, I think Neeld has to play him to see whether he does or does not have a future beyond 2012. I personally think he needs to be settled into one position, not asked to fill in 3 - 4 positions just based on having pace.

Couch is too much of the same, but I agree with others that there was no reason to elevate him if we didn't think that he could fit into the side. Weird decision.

It may never click for Sellar, but if it does, we will have a big asset. Again, we didn't pick him to play at Casey, so I think they have to play him to know whether there is a future.

I think Colin has been shafted by the coaches. He should never ever have been rushed straight back into the side with no match conditioning, and with the expectation that he would perform under a new structure and regime, in a carp side. I think we put him under unfair pressure. Really, we should have played him through Casey and he should have only come back last week.

Annoyed that Tappy isn't playing.

Aaron had to go.

I would say they know that they need to push Cale to play defensive, contested footy. The promise was shown when he came back into the side but he has gone back to old habits hence the best way to teach him is to drop him until he does it again.

I cannot believe the defence of Moloney he is potentially the worst defensive midfielder in the competition. Chasing your man and laying tackles has nothing to do with form.

Over the last 3 weeks we have turned to a bit more speed to balance the grunt with Bennell, Blease, Bail and Nicholson in the side together. Bennell can play but needs to work harder defensively and go when its his turn I hope to see him play on Garlett but expect he will play as a small forward.

I agree Sylvia should have come back via Casey but it is still no excuse for his recent defensive output.