overstatement of the day!!

Tapscott is about the only 'in' that gets me exited. Hopefully Sylvia, Davey and Morton come back in some good form, we need them playing well come GWS/GCS games!

I think he had some super games last year, running the lines. He looked very good.

I hope Davey, Morton and Sylvia have performance based contracts. This could save us some money to help entice someone with a heart muscle to join us next year.

The double bye in the VFL is a joke and couldn't have come at a worse time for us. Davey and Sylvia need to run around in the suburbs and understand that it's a big fall from the top.

(Off topic but I don't understand the incentive for the VFL affiliation. At least allow the AFL clubs to have all the Casey listed players on the Rookie list. Might put a rocket up a few blokes.

It seems like it doesn't really work for the AFL clubs, and has ripped the soul out of the VFL)

Edited by The heart beats true

That is one uninspiring list of INs. All it needed was Bate to round it out.

Couch, Cook, Taggert, Martin, Petterd...all overlooked.

Cook has hardly played, and missed most (all?) of the pre-season. Not ready. Same for Taggert. Martin still injured and not doing full training. Petterd didn't do much last time he played, and obviously hasn't done enough since. Couch ... too similar to Magner, Jones, Moloney. Nicholson at least brings a bit of dash.

Makes sense to me.

This might be the most nervous I've been about seeing the team on paper for a long time. Sellar, Dunn and J Mac? Gees. I'd start drinking at 10AM Sunday if I didn't have to drive home.

yeh but the team actually looked pretty good on paper last week and looked what ended up happening...

well...be farmed off then.

Good to see Davis named at least in the 25, and all those named have been listed in the better players regularly at Casey, but one would have to wonder just why we rookied and promoted Couch.

Me too monoccular

Mystifys me for the same reason and it is not as though we have a group of wonderful mid fielders

yeh but the team actually looked pretty good on paper last week and looked what ended up happening...

massacre is the word that comes to mind and I truely struggle with Sellar

So, this means Nicholson has been upgraded from the rookie list. Who for?

SECOND-year rookie Daniel Nicholson has been elevated to the primary list for injured ruckman Max Gawn, who has been placed on the long-term injury list.

Nicholson, who played nine matches in his debut season last year, has been selected in the initial squad against Carlton at the MCG on Sunday. He has been named on the seven-man bench.

It will be Nicholson’s first match this season, after he missed the opening two rounds with a foot injury, before returning to the VFL.

The 21-year-old made his debut against the Blues in round 10 last year.

Nicholson was drafted at No.14 in NAB AFL Rookie Draft, held in December 2010.

Gawn, who suffered a knee injury last December, will be sidelined for the rest of 2012.

I miss Max this year. He became a bit of a cult figure last year and would be in the team I reckon.

I dont know what people expected when you want players dropped. Taggert has played 2 senior games, Couch has not played for 3 weeks, Tynan is still injured, Strauss has not played for a month. It was always going to be a rehash of those who have previously been in. Not a fan of Sellar but if him playing means Clark can say forward no issue with this.

Agree with the outs although Morton stiff and Moloney and Green must be on thin ice.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

I dont know what people expected when you want players dropped. Taggert has played 2 senior games, Couch has not played for 3 weeks, Tynan is still injured, Strauss has not played for a month. It was always going to be a rehash of those who have previously been in. Not a fan of Sellar but if him playing means Clark can say forward no issue with this.

Agree with the outs although Morton stiff and Moloney and Green must be on thin ice.

Gee if they want a tall bloke to run around and not get a kick Pick me! I'm 6'5 and I would get the same amount of touches as Sellar and that number would be 0. Looks like Neeld didn't swing the axe but powered up the merry go round and a few blokes are back in. Petterd and Couch probably didn't buy a ticket for this season whilst Sellar and Beamer have free passes all year. I don't understand how Dunn,Bennell and Sellar can come in and out of the side and Petterd gets picked plays a bad game and doesn't get another crack. I know he isn't breaking down doors to get in but he is one bloke we know who can play. Sellar just can't play.

• Like 1

Cook has hardly played, and missed most (all?) of the pre-season. Not ready. Same for Taggert. Martin still injured and not doing full training. Petterd didn't do much last time he played, and obviously hasn't done enough since. Couch ... too similar to Magner, Jones, Moloney. Nicholson at least brings a bit of dash.

Makes sense to me.

I understand all of that but I'd like to see some rolling of the dice at this stage.

I applaud the inclusion of Davis but how long until we get to see Couch? I couldn't give a stuff if he's similar to Moloney or even Magner, our midfield isn't just lacking in pace. It's lacking in every facet, measurable or otherwise. Give the supporters some hope ffs.

Petterd didn't do much in the one game that he was given an opportunity..?

• Like 2

Well my neice who is 7 weeks old is comig to her first game on sunday. Luckily she wont have a clue whats going on but I have told her by the time she is old enough to know whats going on we hopefully would hve finished rebuilding and actually winning.

I said that about my own kids 5 years ago, so you know how well that has worked.

My advice is as soon as they are old enough, get them to a clinic or a family day where they can meet and interact with the players.

Any other friends or family members who try to turn them off the Dees, and onto their own teams should be told in no uncertain terms that that behaviour will not be tolerated.

If all else fails, let them know where the fornt door is if they choose to follow another team.

When all else fails, they know where the front doo

• Like 1

Gee if they want a tall bloke to run around and not get a kick Pick me! I'm 6'5 and I would get the same amount of touches as Sellar and that number would be 0. Looks like Neeld didn't swing the axe but powered up the merry go round and a few blokes are back in. Petterd and Couch probably didn't buy a ticket for this season whilst Sellar and Beamer have free passes all year. I don't understand how Dunn,Bennell and Sellar can come in and out of the side and Petterd gets picked plays a bad game and doesn't get another crack. I know he isn't breaking down doors to get in but he is one bloke we know who can play. Sellar just can't play.

CFH I reckon you might do better.

All you have to do is stand in the same spot in the forward line

The ball will hit you at least once.

Result one more grab than Sellar

Agree that it is not the most inspiring list of players - no one in there that Carlton have to plan for or fear.

Sellar - sorry, but he is not worth a spot. Very lucky Martin is still recovering.

Davis - great to see him included. He has looked really good at Casey and will be good on the small frowards (I hope)

J MacDonald - has got some get up and go, but he inspires little confidence.

Bail - I really like this bloke but he has lost the fire in the belly that produced gut-running bursts in 2011. I hope he can ignite

Dunn - Sorry, I have had enough of this bloke

Tapscott - leave him in the side for the remainder of 2012. Stop the in-out, in-out. Allow him to play into form.

Nicholson - has got some serious hunger but is the worst kick in our squad, with the exception of Jake Spencer. His unforced errors for Casey are getting mentions from ABC commentators.

Feel a bit sorry for Morton. I agree with another poster who reckons he has probably broken one of the non-negotiable values, because he has been good over the previous 4 weeks (Sydney aside)

I have no idea what to expect this week - at least I can't get my hopes dashed!!

@melbournefc: Round 9 selection

In:J.MacDonald, Bail, Sellar, Dunn, Tapscott, Davis, Nicholson

Out:Davey, Sylvia, Jurrah, Morton

Really happy with Davey and Sylvia out, especially the latter.

Really p1shed off about Morton being dropped, though. Yes, he had a shocker last week, but was finally showing something in two or three weeks before that, and particularly since Neeld has given him some spurts in the middle. It's so bloody obvious that he is a confidence player, and that he hasn't had any confidence for the last year or so. Dropping him after one poor game is undoing all the good work that Neeld has done with him over the last month.

The same thing happens ad nauseum with players like Petterd, Bail, Bennell, Tapscott etc, whilst other players play two or three shockers in a row and stay in the side. When self belief is so low amongst the team (the main reason for capitulating losses, I believe), I find it so frustrating that this keep happening. I know Neeld is trying to set non-negotiables, but he needs to balance that with nurturing confidence in players, particularly the young ones.

I don't understand how Dunn,Bennell and Sellar can come in and out of the side and Petterd gets picked plays a bad game and doesn't get another crack.

Both Dunn and Bennell have done decently (or more than) over a couple of weeks at Casey, whereas Petterd hasn't done much - or enough - since being dropped. Not to mention, Dunn is the obvious replacement for Jurrah up forward.

As for Seller, with Martin and Gawn injured, Spencer not ready, and Fitzpatrick having been tried and failed (for the moment), not sure who else you'd like to see to help out Jamar? Seller at least provides a contest - which is what many of us have been calling for.

Not saying that any of those ins or inclusions are going to set the house on fire, but not exactly sure what/who the alternatives are supposed to be. Think we should also wait to see who makes it to the final 22, though with 3 rucks named, hard to see Seller not being included.

Just re the Couch non-inclusion, he missed the last Casey match with illness, and regardless of any other considerations, may be lacking in (match) fitness. Probably some players a little bit stiff here with Casey having a couple of weeks off, which is just not particularly helpful to anyone.

Really hard to see how the team will line up. Three forwards and a mid dropped and the ins include two defenders (MacDonald and Davis) plus Nicholson and Tappscott who could play there. Maybe Grimes goes to the midfield where he is better placed to be a leader. I'm not convinced Bail can play the small or defensive forward role, so maybe Bail goes to the midfield too.

Personally, I'd like Davis to the backline for Grimes to midfield. And I'd like to see Bail running around rather than being locked inside the forward line. I think Sellar has to play so Clark can stay forward. And Tapscott should play. In summary, the ins should end up being Sellar, Bail, Davis and Tapscott (sub).

Couch.

WTF.

Has been BOG in nearly every game but can't get a go ahead of Sellar, Davis, Nicholson, and Bennell, all of which should be in the queue behind him DESPITE the speed factor.

Are we really in that much good form that we have the luxury of leaving out good players purely because we might be a bit too much "same speed"?

Are we really any quicker without him?

This has got to the point of ridiculous, this kid should be playing, and I'd really like someone from MFC to come out and tell us why not, and not the usual BS about how he's "on the cusp".

Play Couch FFS. Have we really got anything to lose?!

Edited by stuie
  • Like 3

'call me religious' ok religious.. But up until WednesdAy I just kept thinking for all the truly bad things that have gone on that perhaps the tide would turn very soon, then reality kicks in when I see this team , Jesus, I hope we give it a shot and don't get blown out of the water and manage to stay reasonably sober at the game....Amen

Going by Neeld's lack of putting debutants in I think he really wants the players to ear their stripes before coming in, something that I feel has been a massive issue for us in recent years. We play the kids after they put in one or two good games at Casey, they come in and are lambs to the slaughter.

I'm not saying that Couch doesn't deserve a call up, but I'm glad he's taking Neeld's taking his time with these guys.

My bench:

McKenzie, Magner, Bennell

Sub Tapscott

If we're playing Bennell he needs a full game, he was terrible last week but when he gets the ball I think he just needs to back himself and his greatest asset, his pace. Tappy comes in as the sub because he's just the better player of the others left over. Jordie and Magner pick themselves IMO.

Sellar needs to show more worth than just being a big body that brings the ball to ground, use J-Pod as an inspiration work hard for the footy. Surely we are his last chance, he should be playing every week like its his last.

Looking for big games from:

Sellar

Green

Trengove

Moloney

Bennell (if he plays)

Edited by Pates

I think Bennell will play as a crumbing forward this week. He has played his best footy for us there, and with Davey out we need someone with a bit of speed and flare in our forward line.

I know many on Demonland can't stand Dunn, but he at least tries, which is more than you can say about Sylvia.

• Like 1