I agree sue. It's weird. I'm not normally one to forecast 100 point losses as I need to remain at least a bit optimistic for my own sanity. But I could see this one coming from an absolute mile away and it's probably for that reason I found it a lot less cutting. If anything, while very disappointing, I thought the 100 point margin was about right for the difference in class between the two sides and how distracted the club was during the week.

Certainly I found it a lot less cutting than the previous week, which for me was unexpected.

I think the disappointment is not so much the loss but the fact we have come to expect it and we seem incapable of doing anything to stop it. We have gone backwards even over last year, I think West Coast doubled their winning margin against us, and are in danger of slipping in to the abyss that we all predicted the Giants would fall in to.

The fact that the loss to you was less cutting is even more worrying, we are now just oblivious to it and are in danger of losing our passion; if we continue to go to games knowing we are going to get flogged, only the diehards will continue to support the club.

• Like 1

Yes and then watch them miss tackles and get pushed over by bigger players again .

At half time we had more tackles the WCE... But we werent placing them at the hips, more chest which resulted at head height - another unfortunate skills issue

As on-going MFC supporters, we are, by definition, optimists otherwise we wouldn't still be supporting the team. One of the areas where we (the supporters) go wrong is to unrealistically expect change (e.g. coach, game plan, new season, etc) to bring immediate success. Like a lot of other posters, that was my mindset after the club addressed the on-field disaster of 2011with a new Footy Dept and the Footy Dept invoked a change of approach when it came to pre-season training.

After last week, however, I realised that my expectations were unrealistic and that my new reality is that it takes time to learn a new game plan. Instead of zeroing in on specific players each week and calling for them to be dropped/retired/traded/counselled/brain-scanned, I think we need to give them some time to settle into the new way of playing and work on what they need to be doing to put the new game plan into practice. How can Neeld and his team assess the strengths/weakness of the playing groupwithout playing them in 'real' games in order to identify what needs to be done to achieve some success.

Most of the players are coming off of years of trying to play to an unsuccessful plan and getting hammered week after week. No wonder why most of them look a little shell-shocked. Success will breed more success. Without doubt, Neeld will make (already has made) mistakes so what's new?? If he's not making mistakes, he's not trying enough new things.

I will continue to be patient.

ps Jack Watts will be a great Demon footballer if we don't drive him out of the club and Matty Bates needs to be given the opportunity to play at least 4-6 full games. And it's going to be a great draft year.

It's just devastating that with all the high picks we've had we haven't built a dominant midfield. We haven't even produced an A grade midfielder yet. Trengove and Gysberts offer hope to become A graders, but it's just hope at the moment based more on potential than evidence.

The lack of midfield support is a worry. I wonder what impact this will have on Trengove's development? There has been a lot of comparison between Trengove and Bartel and I thought it was worth mentioning here what Bartel's numbers looked like after his first two seasons.

2002 11 games 140 disposals 3 goals

2003 13 games 157 disposals 5 goals

Bartel played in a total of 9 wins over those 2 years.

JT

2010 18 games 343 disposals 8 goals

2011 19 games 387 disposals 13 goals

Trengove has played in 14 wins over those 2 years.

I'd say Trengove is well on the way to becoming A grade but Bartel was able to develop into the super player he is alongside a number of other quality midfielders. I don't see an Ablett, Chapman, Corey, Kelly etc amongst our current lot. It does say that Jack has had a bloody good start to his career, though!

• Like 2

The fact that the loss to you was less cutting is even more worrying, we are now just oblivious to it and are in danger of losing our passion; if we continue to go to games knowing we are going to get flogged, only the diehards will continue to support the club.

It did cross my mind that it's a bit alarming that I'm so used to losing. My brain is definitely in need of the endorphins a great win produces.

Another problem yesterday was that our 3 quickest players, IMO, Davey, Blease and Nicholson weren't playing for various reasons. The first two have lost form and the second while suspended is a poor disposer of the ball. The loss of speed over there kills you.

Another problem yesterday was that our 3 quickest players, IMO, Davey, Blease and Nicholson weren't playing for various reasons. The first two have lost form and the second while suspended is a poor disposer of the ball. The loss of speed over there kills you.

I'm very concerned about Blease I hope he is not playing dead so he can join his mate up in NSW, he has shown he can play but all of a sudden he is really struggling even at Casey.

I'm very concerned about Blease I hope he is not playing dead so he can join his mate up in NSW, he has shown he can play but all of a sudden he is really struggling even at Casey.

Having watched GWS yesterday, anyone going up there is only for the $$$$$. They have some outstanding prospects, but seriously that team is 5 years away from anything.

If Blease wants up there, enjoy the journey son.

I'm trying to analyse WC's team and it seems to go like this. They have mountains in the forward line Kennedy, Lynch, Darling and resting Cox or Nic Nat, more mountains in the back line Glass, Waters, Hurn etc, speed and skill in the middle, Kerr, Priddis, Gaff, Shuey, Selwood, forward crummers in Hams, Hill and marking crummers who didn't play in Le Cras and Nicoski and a strong work ethic adhered to by all which means you gut run all game.

We have only one mountain in Clark, who gets poor delivery and hasn't taken a mark, in the forward line, one mountain in the backline Chip, who is not playing to his best, Sellar is probably another, no speed or skill in the middle only grunt in Jones, Magner, Beamer etc and we don't gut run ( back up and make position).

That seems to be it. Oh did I mention we have the worst disposal in the league as well.

These are the things that need to change for us to improve like WC and the good teams.

Edited by Redleg

Having watched GWS yesterday, anyone going up there is only for the $$$$$. They have some outstanding prospects, but seriously that team is 5 years away from anything.

If Blease wants up there, enjoy the journey son.

Different from us in that:

We are already 5 years into a rebuild and look like we are at least 5 away from being anything

and

We don't have the money.

and I'm not sure that we have the outstanding prospects

Edited by Retrospective

We have STUPID FOOTBALLERS.

We gave away nine frees for Head high tackles. DUMB

We had ZERO tackles in the fwd 50. Not ONE.

We continuously miss targets from 20m.

We bomb the ball in long to a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 contest.

We have midfielders who do not run, chase or tackle (Magner and Jones excluded). 78 inside 50s to the Eagles was the 4th highest on record.

Brad Green had 4 kicks. Enjoy Casey Brad you'll be spending some time there.

WHERE IS THIS HIGH LEVEL OF FITNESS WE WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE DEVELOPED OVER SUMMER??????

If the players are trying to kill a footy club they are going about it the right way. They stink.

Well upon joining the Demons Neeld made the brazen prediciton that in 2012 all teams will have "known they have played Melbourne "

Memo to Mark...im sure they do....and whenever they can stop laughing Im sure they'll file it away as a day to remember !!

We wont bother with another other predictions as they are simply too darn silly !!

We have STUPID FOOTBALLERS.

We gave away nine frees for Head high tackles. DUMB

We had ZERO tackles in the fwd 50. Not ONE.

We continuously miss targets from 20m.

We bomb the ball in long to a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 contest.

We have midfielders who do not run, chase or tackle (Magner and Jones excluded). 78 inside 50s to the Eagles was the 4th highest on record.

Brad Green had 4 kicks. Enjoy Casey Brad you'll be spending some time there.

WHERE IS THIS HIGH LEVEL OF FITNESS WE WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE DEVELOPED OVER SUMMER??????

If the players are trying to kill a footy club they are going about it the right way. They stink.

Well upon joining the Demons Neeld made the brazen prediciton that in 2012 all teams will have "known they have played Melbourne "

Memo to Mark...im sure they do....and whenever they can stop laughing Im sure they'll file it away as a day to remember !!

We wont bother with another other predictions as they are simply too darn silly !!

I think you will find that Neeld said that his goal was that sides should know they have played Melbourne. I don't think anyone expected that would occur on day 1, least of all Neeld.

Regarding the fitness over summer, I don't recall the club saying that we had developed a high level of fitness. I actually think they said that we were miles behind, and only now are starting to work towards an elite level of fitness. I don't think Misson or Neeld were saying, or would be stupid enough to say, we were there yet. It takes time.

• Like 1

Guest Dr Who

Very funny thread, symptomatic of our key problems at our football club. Anyway carry on its hilarious.

Alternatively you could keep you chin up - its only Round 2.

Interesting that many of those slitting wrists as a result of a 100 point thumping had predicted it, yet post as if they were shocked by being thumped. Can any amateur physcologists out there explain this condition?

To paraphrase a wonderful line from a Psychiatrist from the appropriately titled (at the moment) Fawlty Towers "there is a whole conference worth, just there".........don't worry every poster will be there either in person or spirit on Saturday....ready to sink head into hands again..and then burn keyboards

...it is wonderful supporting Melbourne at the moment, I have never felt my character being built to such an extent since I did my recruit training for the Australian Army.............

Take a deep breath chaps....it is only Rd 3, we have another 19 to go yet........

Go Dees

Edited by satyricon

To paraphrase a wonderful line from a Psychiatrist from the appropriately titled (at the moment) Fawlty Towers "there is a whole conference worth, just there".........don't worry every poster will be there either in person or spirit on Saturday....ready to sink head into hands again..and then burn keyboards

...it is wonderful supporting Melbourne at the moment, I have never felt my character being built to such an extent since I did my recruit training for the Australian Army.............

Take a deep breath chaps....it is only Rd 3, we have another 19 to go yet........

Go Dees

In the past five and a bit decades of following the Dees, my character has been deconstructed and reconstructed so many times I'm starting to feel like a KFC nugget.

• Like 2

In the past five and a bit decades of following the Dees, my character has been deconstructed and reconstructed so many times I'm starting to feel like a KFC nugget.

That good hardtack!

I feel more like fairy floss

Of course it will take time. Rome wasnt built in a day. And haviing said that the building of Rome unearthed some classic architecture and engineering designs, to say nothing of the brick. It was all done with vision and determination. I also see these qualities in the 'ideal' that is espoused as being the Melbourne of the future.

Unfortunately the Melbourne of the present is a basketcase, on the field.

Rumour has it we're supposed to be a football team...but hey, you know what rumours are like :unsure:

Of course it will take time. Rome wasnt built in a day. And haviing said that the building of Rome unearthed some classic architecture and engineering designs, to say nothing of the brick. It was all done with vision and determination. I also see these qualities in the 'ideal' that is espoused as being the Melbourne of the future.

Unfortunately the Melbourne of the present is a basketcase, on the field.

Rumour has it we're supposed to be a football team...but hey, you know what rumours are like :unsure:

BB I hope you are not suggesting the Romans invented the brick?

• Like 1

Keep your heads up!

The MFC has had a terrible start to the season but it is no time too part ways or become bewildered. It's Round 2 for flop sake!

I understand the frustration but we need to stick thick! We will win games. Be realistic with our expectations. We will get sponsorship, etc. But only if we stick thick!

It will turn around and I know I will be there too see it. You should too! The last thing the MFC needs is low crowd numbers.

It will come together if we all stick together!!!

• Like 2

Brutal Reality 1:One pre season will not take us from our sub standard fitness levels under Bailey to the elite levels that Neeld and Misson were used to at the Pies and Saints.

Brutal Reality 2: Bailey held with the flood - defending from your defence - when the game had moved on to the press and the spread. Neeld is implementing the press and the spread. Its not going to be successful immediately particularly given Brutal Reality 1.

• Like 1

Those complaining about the free kick count need to get real. The free kick count was in West Coast favour because of 2 reasons:

1. West Coast were first in for the ball

2. We were constantly tacking West Coast players high

Any young person learning to play the game is always taught to tackle the hips. What on earth were some of the MFC gooses doing out there? Seriously, it was probably a world record of high tackles paid in one game. We are a terrible team as is - we can't afford to be giving away a mountain of unnecessary free kicks!!!!! The Players cannot even grasp a basic fundamental tackling technique. How on earth will they ever carry out a complicated game plan when they can't even grasp the basics? Shocking!!!

BB I hope you are not suggesting the Romans invented the brick?

They were to my kowledge the first to make substantial use of fired clay bricks ...yes

okay.. im corrected.. seemes those inscrutible Chinese go tthere a whiles before..

cement however...and brick arches.... but i digress

Still...far more interesting a subject than the non -event aka Demons playing football has become.

One other thing - when Grimes got hit not one SINGLE player went to his defence!!!! A 20 odd game 22 year old player who is in his first year as Capitan gets hit and no-one helps him out!!!! Just goes to show what a bunch of pea hearts we have representing our club. Our current playing group as a whole makes me sick!

They were to my kowledge the first to make substantial use of fired clay bricks ...yes

okay.. im corrected.. seemes those inscrutible Chinese go tthere a whiles before..

cement however...and brick arches.... but i digress

Still...far more interesting a subject than the non -event aka Demons playing football has become.

Ah, on that sub species of brick, I think you will find the Chinese beat the Romans by about a 1000 years

Edit: your post changed before my eyes and you beat to it....cheers

The Persians and Babylonians also fired colored bricks for decoration but I suppose you couldn't call it substantial

Edited by daisycutter