• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 28th November, 2011

DEELIRIOUS

Driving down Punt Rd this morning and saw a few red and blue shirts and stopped for a look.

Jade Rawlings (and another coach?) had the defenders out for a skills session.

The players out there:

The ones I could recognise:

Frawley

Rivers

Garland

Seller

Bartram

Bennell

Jetta

Strauss

Tynan

Morton

Davis

2 players I didn't recognise

Martin wasn't there and I might've forgotten one or two.

They were doing some skill work:

Speed handballing

Second option handballing (I would call it)

Walking up and down with the footy in one hand as though they were going to bounce it, but holding it there - one handed. Not much control there as balls were spilling freely.

Precision kicking - Rawlings barking at them to allow for the conditions (howling northerly)

As you would expect, there was the odd spray. Seller looked pretty good.

Then there was spotting up a player and hitting him on the chest in a split second (didn't happen all that often).

Jetta, Morton and Unidentified player didn't do any of the kicking drills but did all the other stuff.

I didn't stay all that long as it was probably a closed session.

Players looked keen and sharp

Dropped in for a little while, I will let others give a full report. From the time I was there this pre-season will either make or break Blease and Gysberts. Through the running and the drills these two cop the most, the coaches are pushing them hard.

Anyone know why Gysbert is so far behind in fitness?

He was injured late in the season but i thought it was a hand. Did he have some other injury?

sorry, wasnt a tough question from someone who wrote it, understand the google suggestion but im not asking other to research it for me, just say if they knew it :)

I used to see a chick who was right into this. Rather short relationship that one.

The players just need to improve their fitness, skills, desire for the pill and learn the game plan Neeld has for them.

I don't think we have the time for 'soft skills' at the moment. Time is of the essence to deliver a premiership.

• Like 1

What are everyone's thoughts on Jetta in the backline and Blease in the forward line? To me it's interesting and I'm not sure I'm a fan. Jetta has the toughness to be a defender but I don't like his kicking and his speed for his size isn't great. I'd rather have him being a ball player up the ground where he makes up for his speed by using his quality evasive skills. On the other hand Blease has great pace and skills and can break the lines but of course needs more fitness and training in defensive skills. Again he's not overly big but he's a bit taller than Jetta. Up forward he could certainly be handy using his pace but to me he's got the pace that is better behind the ball.

We keep hearing that Jurrah is doing constant half speed laps with a trainer. Is this a case of increasing his fitness, or are they trying to retrain the way he runs? Possibly both even? I know we often hear that they are working on someone's running technique.

IMO Jurrah Does NOT like hard work, & may not cut it in the AFL. And he he doesn't like the rough stuff either.

He's got his work cut out for him if he's to make it.

IMO Jurrah Does NOT like hard work, & may not cut it in the AFL. And he he doesn't like the rough stuff either.

Perhaps. His half-paced laps are probably to build up his oxygen system so he can then start building on his VO2 max. Or to use our current 'buzz' words he can then work on his gut-running. This would be new territory for LJ as I'm sure he was never needed to do this back in the day. As for his physicality, he would never have been required to play physical. His athleticism, agility and pace would have always allowed him to avoid most contct and it still could. I think he could get by with a little more core strength so he isn't as easily bumped off his run or held off the ball. Having a diverse range of different styled forwards is surely harder to defend. He'll never be a crash and basher and never should be.

Will be interesting to see how he responds to being pushed aerobically.

That can happen when a flanker is required to fill in at a key position

I just wanted to highlight how sad I was last year watching the fall from grace of Aaron Davey. At training today - nothing seems to have changed. It made me wonder if the club has an NLP trainer involved, as some of the guys look so far down on confidence they would have to benefit from some training in this area. Attitudes of some of the guys mentioned on here after Monday's training could be improved with some of the tools they would learn from NLP. The whole team could become single minded with a few switches rewired.

Also it is early days and the fitness stuff will come in handy - but without elite kicking skills, we will be way behind the pack again this year and all the fitness will be used in chasing down our errors and turnovers. Hitting the mark more often than not has to be something the guys do without thinking and there is a massive way to go in this area from what I witnessed Monday. It is our Achilles heal - it has to be the priority.

Question is who is teaching these kicking skills and who is reinforcing the players minds that they can do it. If we do not get this right - more frustration for the playing group and supports will be on the cards. It simply is not good enough to go into another season without addressing this.

I have not been impressed with Bate over the past few years - however if his current fitness, size and brute kicking style can be let loose in the middle, he will make an impact - especially if he can let go of the quiet and calm persona - a bit of mongrel from Bate this year will see a few step out out of his way. Just what we need. Brett Moloney will be relieved to have another gorilla in their to help him out. It should make a big difference. Bate is not a forward, as has been debated - he has been played out of position for years.

So glad to finally have a forum to say what is on my mind and hopefully find out a few answers. If these things are not currently in play at the club it would be great if they could potentially be considered and addressed to hopefully make a difference. We need a difference.

The improved fitness overall will come in very handy and have a domino effect. Don't underestimate the effect lack of conditioning and tired legs has on disposal and being able to use fitness to create space and gain extra time will help, I'm not saying we will all of a sudden become an elit kicking side but better conditioning should provide some help in disposal

The improved fitness overall will come in very handy and have a domino effect. Don't underestimate the effect lack of conditioning and tired legs has on disposal and being able to use fitness to create space and gain extra time will help, I'm not saying we will all of a sudden become an elit kicking side but better conditioning should provide some help in disposal

Beat me to it PSD but in answer to you Bob Bob, developing elite fitness will have a direct result on skills under pressure in a game. I can speak both from a personal experience through the under 18 system (albeit a fair while ago) and from learned knowledge.

In todays game we have players running at flat out speeds (burst running) for a few minutes before being rotated through the bench. In this time, they might require 4, 5 or 6 high intensity repeat efforts before they get a lull in the game that allows them a longer recovery time. In that time lactic acid build up in your muscles and in particular your legs can get to the point where you can barely kick over a jam tin let alone hit up a target close to the boundary 35 meters away.

By building the best possible fitness base, we allow the players to maintain their best for longer, meaning the lactic acid build up isn't as severe, that their recovery is quicker and that they can sustain more of these efforts before a drop in energy levels affects their skills.

I am all for developing the skills of our players as intensly as the fitness base, but make no mistake the fitness base is a massive point in this.

What are everyone's thoughts on Jetta in the backline and Blease in the forward line? To me it's interesting and I'm not sure I'm a fan. Jetta has the toughness to be a defender but I don't like his kicking and his speed for his size isn't great. I'd rather have him being a ball player up the ground where he makes up for his speed by using his quality evasive skills. On the other hand Blease has great pace and skills and can break the lines but of course needs more fitness and training in defensive skills. Again he's not overly big but he's a bit taller than Jetta. Up forward he could certainly be handy using his pace but to me he's got the pace that is better behind the ball.

I rekon Blease would be more handy as a back flanker with his speed, ability to run and carry and it seems he has quite high kicking efficiency. What are your thoughts on having Bennell as a small forward. I remember a few games where he did play forward, he didn't look bad. I'm not sure about him playing down back, he is pretty short and not overly big so can get pushed off pretty easily in a one on one contest?

disagree, with he and Petterd we have two potential Steve Johnsons - non-key-position forwards with x-factor, that get a secondary opponent on them and can tear apart a game with a few brilliant touches. Jurrah would have to be the most naturally talented player have seen in red and blue

disagree, with he and Petterd we have two potential Steve Johnsons - non-key-position forwards with x-factor, that get a secondary opponent on them and can tear apart a game with a few brilliant touches. Jurrah would have to be the most naturally talented player have seen in red and blue

Jurrah. Steve Johnson. Petterd.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong...

• Like 1

The concept "Jurrah... will he make it?" is about two years too late! What a gift to football!!!! Sit back and enjoy the ride. Who carese how many qualifying times he runs for 400m in November? Does anyone still doubt he is a freak? Yes, there are areas he can develop... but it ain't 'get ball,score goal'

• Like 1

Am convinced Petterds best position for the SIDE will be as an on baller, switching forward player. people mention Bates ability on ball at Casey but one game not so long ago this year Petterd was BOG playing on ball and pushing forward kicking a few goals. his work at stoppages was tough and has underestimated speed off the mark. Also always it appears, like Jurrah, to never be training pre-season in full swing.

I reckon Petterd will be that type to slowly get better and better. just that more competitive than say Bate.

Jurrah. Steve Johnson. Petterd.

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong...

correct - one of them has played 175 games and had his prime years in a brilliant side, the other two have played 35/50 in a shizen side, with their best years to come

i'd like to see Johnson playing key position for Melbourne as a 21/22 year old, getting belted for the last few years.. just like i cant wait to see 26 year old Jurah/Petterd in a top 4 side

use your noggin FCS

• Like 1

correct - one of them has played 175 games and had his prime years in a brilliant side, the other two have played 35/50 in a shizen side, with their best years to come

i'd like to see Johnson playing key position for Melbourne as a 21/22 year old, getting belted for the last few years.. just like i cant wait to see 26 year old Jurah/Petterd in a top 4 side

use your noggin FCS

Steve Johnson

Liam Jurrah

Ricky Petterd.

The discussion of Jurrah is interesting. When someone first plays for us we look to see what they can do. Jurrah could do a lot and we fell in love. The longer a player plays the more we notice his weaknesses. Jurrah has a few and some are starting to doubt, perhaps fairly.

Many have become familiar with what he can do and don't rate it as highly as they did. That's a mistake.

• Like 1

The discussion of Jurrah is interesting. When someone first plays for us we look to see what they can do. Jurrah could do a lot and we fell in love. The longer a player plays the more we notice his weaknesses. Jurrah has a few and some are starting to doubt, perhaps fairly. Many have become familiar with what he can do and don't rate it as highly as they did. That's a mistake.

This might be equal to what you're saying, but I think the realisation of his weaknesses have caused people to only see his weaknesses and forget about his strengths. The suggestion from some that he "won't make it" is completely outrageous - he kicked 40 goals in a year where he demonstrated that he's got a way to go to reaching his ceiling. Surely the absolute worst case is that he plateaus from where he is now - even if that happens, 40 goals a year is good output. Reality is he's a couple of years in to his career; he's got a tonne of time to work on those weaknesses.

I'm still very optimistic.

• Like 2

The discussion of Jurrah is interesting. When someone first plays for us we look to see what they can do. Jurrah could do a lot and we fell in love. The longer a player plays the more we notice his weaknesses. Jurrah has a few and some are starting to doubt, perhaps fairly.

Many have become familiar with what he can do and don't rate it as highly as they did. That's a mistake.

Agreed.

If Rudeboy is out there maybe he could give us an update on Liam and his progress.

I hate saying this and I am often critical of people who say this (therefore I am a hypocrite), but I can't but feel that the fact that Jurrah is Indigenous that the whole Jurrah being "lazy" thing is overplayed due to stereotypes that exist.

No one has said this, but I can't help but feel undercurrent is there.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2