Garry's Influence

Redleg

I think we also should not minimize the influence of Cameron Schwab, who has had the experience selecting coaches, and the Business training to put together a coaching team.

Let's also remember what Neeld stated he wanted and intended to do. Neeld has hand picked/selected a few coaches from his experience.

I think we also should not minimize the influence of Cameron Schwab, who has had the experience selecting coaches, and the Business training to put together a coaching team.

Certainly agree with this.

This re-structure is something that is at-odds with the way footy clubs are run in the AFL. I don't know for certian whether this change is what was recommended in the Andrews report but Cameron looks to be working well with McLardy and Lyon so hopefully we can move on and the players can leave the board alone this year...

It's almost as if Neeld is the coach of the playing group and Craig is the coach of the coaching group.

1st Level: Schwab - CEO

2nd Level: Neeld - Head Coach Craig - Director Of Sports Performance

3rd Level: Viney Misson Harrington Prendergast

4th Level: Line coaches.

That's how I see it anyway.

Well done to Cam, Don, and Garry.

To those in the media and on here who rubbished Garry and said his short stint would achieve nothing, please take a moment to relect on the changes at the MFC recently. Not saying he takes all the credit but he clearly has had some major input.

Yep.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Board has taken note of the Report we heard about early in the Year, and now we may be witnessing the reforming of our club with the benefit of this, and natural reshaping.

Garry Lyon & Cameron Schwab seemed to have stepped up to the plate since the Geelong Debacle....Well done to both.

As i stated a couple of weeks ago...The internal runnings of the MFC needed attention yes, but are no where near as bad as the Newspapers painted...

i really am confident that in 2012 there will be a huge improvement right through this club.

The list can play...They need to learn from our coaching and fitness people how to sustain it over many weeks.

• Like 1

Schwaby has a Lot of Major strengths. And recruitment is one of them.

Some, just don't like the way he speaks, and so are put off, and overlook his skills.

One day Cam will see & hear his method of talking, and mellow a bit.

To those in the media and on here who rubbished Garry and said his short stint would achieve nothing, please take a moment to relect on the changes at the MFC recently. Not saying he takes all the credit but he clearly has had some major input.

Totally agree but the football dept. report undertaken early in the year has taken it's effect But Gary has had a major effect in implementing it.

Garry Lyon & Cameron Schwab seemed to have stepped up to the plate since the Geelong Debacle....Well done to both.

As i stated a couple of weeks ago...The internal runnings of the MFC needed attention yes, but are no where near as bad as the Newspapers painted...

i really am confident that in 2012 there will be a huge improvement right through this club.

The list can play...They need to learn from our coaching and fitness people how to sustain it over many weeks.

As always dude ,I agree with you .So would the late Captain Jack Jordan .

I hope the day never arrives that big Jimmy has to stand down but If he did Gazza would make a fantastic President. Not that he would want to do it anyway- just saying

I think he will do it-seems to be a pattern of Channel Nine TFS hosts becoming Presidents .

Garry has been fantastic but ultimately Big Jimmy put us on the road to recovery and convinced Garry to help out so the thanks should extend to him.

What he has done for this club should never be forgotten and I doubt it ever will.

It's not very often you and I agree RF but on this I am 100% with you.

Jimmy's plight is what got Garry involved full on again and it is my solid belief that any success by way of a flag in the next 5 or so years will be entirely attributable to the initial work of one man!

I was previously concerned we were suffering from inbreeding in our FD

I'm glad to see a mixture of people from diverse backgrounds

I think we are growing up as a club.

Gary and Co. have now legitimised us as a 'smart' club with the Craig appointment and several others, bringing the skills and knowledge to help the team now grow its performanace. Gary , Don and Cameron can't do much more now , so Garyremaining as Football Director would be fine end result to oversee and support the team the Board has built.

Its up to them now - and us to support through thick and thin - and there will be some thin times in 2012.

Garry has been fantastic but ultimately Big Jimmy put us on the road to recovery and convinced Garry to help out so the thanks should extend to him.

What he has done for this club should never be forgotten and I doubt it ever will.

Without big Jim I think we could easily be the West Sydney Demons right now

And I would probably be supporting the Hawks

Gary and Co. have now legitimised us as a 'smart' club with the Craig appointment and several others, bringing the skills and knowledge to help the team now grow its performanace. Gary , Don and Cameron can't do much more now , so Garyremaining as Football Director would be fine end result to oversee and support the team the Board has built.

Its up to them now - and us to support through thick and thin - and there will be some thin times in 2012.

I agree Demon17 2012 is not going to be a big improvment on this year. I think a lot on here forget it will be the same basic lot from 2011 that runs out in 2012.

Unfortunately I think Gary will not be a long term player. There is too much for him to do in the media and too much money involved.

We should be happy with his effort over the last few months.

However we do need to find a good replacement, any suggestions?

I think the biggest thing garry & Co have done is win some respect back already. It has been a long time since we beat any club to the punch. The Club is serious and has some arraogance about it.

Its been a very selfless role that Garry has thrown himself into and some people should really eat some humble pie. His effort has been fantastic. untited a club, and done it the right way.

Love him.

Garry Lyon & Cameron Schwab seemed to have stepped up to the plate since the Geelong Debacle....Well done to both. As i stated a couple of weeks ago...The internal runnings of the MFC needed attention yes, but are no where near as bad as the Newspapers painted... i really am confident that in 2012 there will be a huge improvement right through this club. The list can play...They need to learn from our coaching and fitness people how to sustain it over many weeks.
Garry Lyon & Cameron Schwab seemed to have stepped up to the plate since the Geelong Debacle....Well done to both. As i stated a couple of weeks ago...The internal runnings of the MFC needed attention yes, but are no where near as bad as the Newspapers painted... i really am confident that in 2012 there will be a huge improvement right through this club. The list can play...They need to learn from our coaching and fitness people how to sustain it over many weeks.

Is it for 6 months, we relied on the murmurings of a dishonest selfish 19yr old, and measured our success on our ability to retain him (despite him signing elsewhere almost 12 months earlier) and then blamed the internal turmoil he put our club through in the direction the media sought fit; being CS, CC, etc?

just throwing it out there. If we knew then what we knew now, would everyone have been calling for CSs blood? I don't remember ever being this happy with off field structuring at MFC, and I'd much rather have the 2 draft picks than a divisive little ^%&*

In the space of 2 weeks, I've transformed from disillusioned to champing at the bit for round 1!

Well done MFC, time to deliver on field, and now there are very few excuses to get in the way!

Every visionary leader needs a 2IC - someone with enough grunt to implement what the leader sees. Cam Schwab is an exceptional manager and we need to keep him for as long as we can. But he is NOT a 2IC. He is a behind the scenes project builder.

To make the changes that we see unfolding before us, Jimmy needed a no nonsense, bullish 2IC for a short term to get his vision running again. It stalled in 2011. Garry Lyon has played this role to perfection. I believe he will stay on board until preseason begins and together, he and Jimmy can see if all the restructuring, position moving, and recruiting are gelling together to make the vision come to pass.

Garry has provided an invaluable service.

• 2 months later...

Is it for 6 months, we relied on the murmurings of a dishonest selfish 19yr old, and measured our success on our ability to retain him (despite him signing elsewhere almost 12 months earlier) and then blamed the internal turmoil he put our club through in the direction the media sought fit; being CS, CC, etc?

just throwing it out there. If we knew then what we knew now, would everyone have been calling for CSs blood? I don't remember ever being this happy with off field structuring at MFC, and I'd much rather have the 2 draft picks than a divisive little ^%&*

In the space of 2 weeks, I've transformed from disillusioned to champing at the bit for round 1!

Well done MFC, time to deliver on field, and now there are very few excuses to get in the way!

What a ridiculous statement about measuring our success on the ability to retain the scum. Get a grip. Really? Who? How? When? Maybe in your mind but no-one else's. The club did everything in it's power to entice hime to stay as we would all expect but they NEVER went anywhere near the kind of statement you have made.

As for CS, take it as a given that he is polarising and prone to talking the talk but not walking the walk, My bet is that CS won't last 2012

What a ridiculous statement about measuring our success on the ability to retain the scum. Get a grip. Really? Who? How? When? Maybe in your mind but no-one else's. The club did everything in it's power to entice hime to stay as we would all expect but they NEVER went anywhere near the kind of statement you have made.

As for CS, take it as a given that he is polarising and prone to talking the talk but not walking the walk, My bet is that CS won't last 2012

Who's taking it as a given. I'm not and I'm certainly not taking it from you. CS's track record is phenomenal. He completely transformed Freo from a basket case financially and on field to having one of the strongest supporter bases and is financially secure going forward. Where do you get that cr$p from. He has presided over the Club getting its first every major asset, the Bentleigh Club, against all the odds. The Club's balance sheet has gone from -$5mill to plus $6mill and the business spend has gone from $25mill to $40mill. They got Neeld, Misson, Craig & Clark in a very competitive market. People are starting to want to come to MFC. Obviously he didn't do it all on his own but he had to be up to his eye balls in it. Doesn't sound like someone not walking the walk, to me.

• Like 1

Who's taking it as a given. I'm not and I'm certainly not taking it from you. CS's track record is phenomenal. He completely transformed Freo from a basket case financially and on field to having one of the strongest supporter bases and is financially secure going forward. Where do you get that cr$p from. He has presided over the Club getting its first every major asset, the Bentleigh Club, against all the odds. The Club's balance sheet has gone from -$5mill to plus $6mill and the business spend has gone from $25mill to $40mill. They got Neeld, Misson, Craig & Clark in a very competitive market. People are starting to want to come to MFC. Obviously he didn't do it all on his own but he had to be up to his eye balls in it. Doesn't sound like someone not walking the walk, to me.

I am in agreement here CS has done a mighty job. If a few noses were put out of joint along the way. Get over it and keep on moving.

Guest DeesPower

Yes, and you know what? I bet there is an agreement that when jimmy goes (heaven forbid), that Gary will continue what Jim started to its logical conclusions - a premiership , hopefully many.

I hope this is the case. They are great mates, and how better to repay the loyalty of a mate