Neil Craig

Guest Jack Donaghy

Keep your excitement under control!

What if the" defining season" says we have actually over rated our players in the past and we are a bottom six side?

No slashing of wrists now.

Stay calm and wait and see how 2012 plays out.

That's precisely what I want to know and hopefully the new structure will tell us. I want the club to be honest with itself and its supporters and it we are crap then let's get it out in the open. I don't think that's the case, but I want to be sure of that, no more drifting along.

What we are doing is giving ourselves the best chance of winning a flag, we have a structure in place and coaches that "appear" to know what they're doing, hopefully the players will appreciate that and learn how to win games.

Enjoy the moment OD we've had a win and we don't get many of them.

That's precisely what I want to know and hopefully the new structure will tell us. I want the club to be honest with itself and its supporters and it we are crap then let's get it out in the open. I don't think that's the case, but I want to be sure of that, no more drifting along.

What we are doing is giving ourselves the best chance of winning a flag, we have a structure in place and coaches that "appear" to know what they're doing, hopefully the players will appreciate that and learn how to win games.

Enjoy the moment OD we've had a win and we don't get many of them.

I agree with you RobbieF.

Just trying to inject a little reason, some here seem to think the flag is in the bag now.

It is looking like some good moves are being made.

.... Is the role that Neil Craig has just taken up fill the shoes that Garry Lyon has been doing? or is that different again?

Neil reports to Schwab, but not to the board.... so it would appear as though Garry still needs to find someone to allow him to exit the scene (Would love someone like Greg Healy to go on the board, and be the person in this role.)

Happy with the appointment, would love to see a structure chart seeing how it all fits together, and excited to hear people wanting to come here, best of all listening to people on SEN questioning the number of resources we are able to throw at the football department and calling for Caps on football spending ;).... That sort of thing NEVER seems to be raised when discussing the MFC people!!!

Still potentially have a senior assistant coach, a forward coach and an assistant backline coach yet to fill don't we?

Very exciting time for the club.

Stoked by this appointment. The level of management this footy club is going to be under will leave absolutley no room for passengers.

2012 will be a defining season for the MFC. I cannot wait.

absolutely brilliant stuff, we are on the up and up, things are finally falling into place. go the mighty Demons

Fantastic appointment! Whatever else you might say about the Crows, they're a very professional outfit, and I've always wished that we could be half as professional as they've been. So Craig knows very well what professional looks like, and he expects it, and I doubt that he'd tolerate too much unprofessionalism. So if nothing else, that's a big plus.

but he's overseeing Neeld, Misson and Viney, in their roles in coaching, fitness and development. In a way I think it would have been better if we just made Neeld the boss and trusted him to delegate when applicable.

In 2011 we had 3 people in the head coach/fitness/development also and the feedback was we needed someone to oversee everything.

We needed to beef our football department and when we are doing that, some still are negative.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth". you can't be serious.

• Like 3

Happy with this. Vastly experienced football person who has come from a professional organisation that would have some synergy with the 'role oriented' vision Neeld appears to have for Melbourne. He is massively respected across the industry, as shown by the number of clubs reputedly chasing him.

The other good thing is that he has the gravitas to command respect from the moment he walks in the door, and offers a buffer between the the board/administration and the football department. He knows how a professional football department is run and he can use his influence to make sure that things are done the right way.

We certainly seem to have a vision for the footy department and we've been pretty swift in setting it up so far. A good start, which can hopefully continue.

Really looking forward to trade week and the draft,

What's that saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? I'm happy that we've got Craig, but he's overseeing Neeld, Misson and Viney, in their roles in coaching, fitness and development. In a way I think it would have been better if we just made Neeld the boss and trusted him to delegate when applicable.

You should get out of your 1950's time-warp.

Club administration hasn't been that simple for decades.

The lack of input from highly qualified people has been our biggest failure.

• Like 1

This is good get for the club, at last we have become serious and matching the Football Departments of the bigger clubs. Not expeting a switch to be turned on and change to happen immediatley but I think as is the case now we are heading in the right direction. 2012 will seperate the men from the boys and anything else will be a bonus but 2013 onwards is where the MFC announces its arrival and starts getting serious

• Like 1

Happy with this. Vastly experienced football person who has come from a professional organisation that would have some synergy with the 'role oriented' vision Neeld appears to have for Melbourne. He is massively respected across the industry, as shown by the number of clubs reputedly chasing him.

The other good thing is that he has the gravitas to command respect from the moment he walks in the door, and offers a buffer between the the board/administration and the football department. He knows how a professional football department is run and he can use his influence to make sure that things are done the right way.

We certainly seem to have a vision for the footy department and we've been pretty swift in setting it up so far. A good start, which can hopefully continue.

.... and Viney who was his midfield coach for 2 years and knows his style , his approach etc - must reckon he'll fit in with the people , the philosophies etc

All good ... b- good!!

I agree with you RobbieF.

Just trying to inject a little reason, some here seem to think the flag is in the bag now.

It is looking like some good moves are being made.

I don't think anyone is talking flags at this point, but there is, IMHO, a generational shift in purpose and organisation which we have not seen for some time. I for one think this is a fantastic appointment.

I don't quite get the "too many cheifs" sentiment.

So Collingwood can have a Mick Malthouse or Rodney Eade or whoever else ends up in that role as a mentor/resource to Bucks, the same with Thompson for Hird, etc etc..............but for the MFC, we now have too many chiefs.

Take a look at some of the football departments at other clubs......................we aren't top heavy, we are finally catching up!!!!

I would have thought the injection of talent, experience, and professionalism being injected into the FD should be roundly applauded, not talked down.

Really, what has changed

In:

Craig, Neeld, Misson, Rawlings, Satterley, Greaves

Out:

Bailey, West, Williams, Connolly, Hocking,

Apart from Neil Craig, and the new supporting line coaches, we haven't exactly gone bezerk on spending.

Ross Lyon for $1M a season, or Neeld & Craig for a similar or slightly higher amount?

It could be argued that Connolly should have been let go if he was no longer needed in the FD, and it appears as though they have found him a job, but other than that, I don't see anything reckless being done.

Time will tell whether this new structure works but, I fail to see how there can be any negativity at this stage with the appointments.

• Like 2

With all the "off field" issues at the club, since Garry Lyon went in there, it is fair to say that at least publically we appear to be doing a lot to sort out that crap. Who knows what issues remain with players and admin etc... but at least the perception (from here) is that we are putting a lot of effort/expertise/resourcing into the football department.

What's that saying, too many cooks spoil the broth? I'm happy that we've got Craig, but he's overseeing Neeld, Misson and Viney, in their roles in coaching, fitness and development. In a way I think it would have been better if we just made Neeld the boss and trusted him to delegate when applicable.

The Senior coach is responsible for coaching & coaching alone. Craig will oversee, support & advise the coaching, player development & physical conditioning. All pretty broad elements of the FD which IMO would be too much for the senior coach to take on. Whilst Neeld may be capable of doing it, I don't think it has ever been part of the senior coachs job description.

The only minor doubt I have about this appointment is that he is reporting to Cameron Schwab & not the board. He may also report to the board but from what I read on the MFC website that isn't the case.

well done MFC on securing Neil. His experience and expertise very welcome in support of Mark Neeld and Neil should also be good for our young playing group. Moving in the right direction

In 2011 we had 3 people in the head coach/fitness/development also and the feedback was we needed someone to oversee everything. We needed to beef our football department and when we are doing that, some still are negative. "Too many cooks spoil the broth". you can't be serious.

That's the problem jacey, these pessimists don't allow themselves to enjoy pleasures and would much rather inflicting and receiving pain (on a subconscious level anyway). They are both sadistic and masochistic. They are the one's who will not be fully content after winning a premiership, because they will immediately think 'well it shouldn't have taken this long in the first place'.

• Like 2

That's the problem jacey, these pessimists don't allow themselves to enjoy pleasures and would much rather inflicting and receiving pain (on a subconscious level anyway). They are both sadistic and masochistic. They are the one's who will not be fully content after winning a premiership, because they will immediately think 'well it shouldn't have taken this long in the first place'.

Beautifully said!

any eye sight problems!

Well said. Just to clarify the "buffer" between board and FD, Bob. It says he reports directly to Cameron Schwab.

The Director of Sports Performance is an overarching Club leadership position, reporting to Chief Executive Officer Cameron Schwab.
- Mfc website

This quote from a story on MFC website:

"Neeld said there would be at least eight full-time coaches at the club next season, which “stacks up very well with the best clubs going around”.

So I make the organisational structure (in terms of who they are reporting to) to crudely look something like this:

MFC Board

\/

CEO (Cameron Schwab) / Football Director (Lyon (for now))

\/

Director of Sports Performance (Neil Craig)

\/

Senior Coach (Neeld) / Elite Performance Manager (Misson) / General Manager Player Devt & Strategy (Viney)

\/

Backline Coach (Rawlings / Midfield Coach (Royal) / Forward Coach (yet to be apptd??)

\/

Backs Asst Coach (?) / Mids Asst Coach (Greaves) Devt Fwd Line Coach (Satterley)

And also:

General Mgr Club Devt (Connolly)

Football Manager (Mahoney)

Developement Coach (O'Donnell)

Innovations Coach (Dunbar)

General Manager List Devt (Harrington)

Recruitment Manager (Prendergast)

Who i dont know where they fit in in terms of who they are reportable to (as the above would be).

They're going to need bigger offices at AAMi and the G!