GAME DAY

Pates

It's late and I just got home from work but i can't seem to sleep, so i've been thinking about the five things I'd like to see at the game today.

1. An honest performance from every single player in a Melbourne guernsey. I want each player to be able to look Viney, the fans, and more importantly Jimmy in the eye and say, "i gave it all i had today". A win is secondary in my mind to this, but i reckon two and two will go together.

2. The ruck duo of Stef Martin and Max Gawn to beat Warnock and Kreuzer.

3. A classic Davey rundown. I know he's just coming back from an injury, but I think this sort of thing would be good for his confidence, remind him of what started him as a player at Melbourne.

4. Watts to be our leading goal scorer, and it to be 4+. With Jurrah and Sylvia dropped, and Green out of form I want to see him become our forward focal point. Even if we are getting beaten I don't want him to go into our defensive half.

5. Scully to be in our best players, get out there and do what you're contracted to do for us. Not having a crack at him, but most of what we've got out of him is destabilising rumours, pay us back for at least that much.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree!

1. Hard, uncompromising footy from every Player from the mould of their coach, one Todd Viney.

2. Relentless tackling (same if not better than Richmond game ) and pressure.

3. Team solidarity. If there are scuffles and I'm almost positive there will be, every player to a man needs to have each others back and represent the jumper. No more incidents like the DUNN/CHAPMAN one. We are not a good footy team yet but the one thing we can do well is ensure no one in our team is treated like that. After the week this club has had we need to show we stand for something (each other) contrary to what the rest of the footy world thinks.

4. Senior players and those that aspire to be, to take control out on the field for the whole game. When things are not going well, turn the tide through action or direction and set the standard for the rest of the team. When things are going well, do all to ensure it stays that way.

5. The Midfield to at least break-even if not win the clearances and give our forwards the opportunity to win the game and our defense the chance to recover.

It's late and I just got home from work but i can't seem to sleep, so i've been thinking about the five things I'd like to see at the game today.

1. An honest performance from every single player in a Melbourne guernsey. I want each player to be able to look Viney, the fans, and more importantly Jimmy in the eye and say, "i gave it all i had today". A win is secondary in my mind to this, but i reckon two and two will go together.

3. A classic Davey rundown. I know he's just coming back from an injury, but I think this sort of thing would be good for his confidence, remind him of what started him as a player at Melbourne.

4. Watts to be our leading goal scorer, and it to be 4+. With Jurrah and Sylvia dropped, and Green out of form I want to see him become our forward focal point. Even if we are getting beaten I don't want him to go into our defensive half.

5. Scully to be in our best players, get out there and do what you're contracted to do for us. Not having a crack at him, but most of what we've got out of him is destabilising rumours, pay us back for at least that much.

Re Scully, I reckon the destablising rumours have come from the media, not Tom.

I agree totally with all of the above but would like to add one thing.

That our supporters and members turn up in droves to show we ARE a football club that no matter what happens always back our club.

Alot of things have been said about OUR club this week.

Our chance to make a statement this week is to show through our own actions that we have a voice.

All supporters should do everything in their power to get to the game today and show we are here and no matter what will not be moved.

It's for us to show what we got when the club needs us.

Imagine a massive show of support today and the message that would send to the media, the players, club admin and other supporters.

This is a club where people don't give up, this is a club that the its supporters stand with in the worst storm possible.

There's been a lot of talk this week and personally im sick of it....

I'm going to get to the game today with my kids and deck them out in full colours with pride.

Last week the sun set.....but the sun will rise again today win, lose or draw and we need to be there to show what we are about....

Who's in?

Today the playing group will obviously need to make a statement with their efforts. I am anticipating that they will come out tough, aggressive and uncompromising. However, emotion will only take you through little more than half of a football game so I am hoping they have managed to build a decent lead by half time so thay can dig in and ride it out. Carlton is a quality unit and will make adjustments at half time to combat anything we have the upper hand in.

I really hope their emotions also have them at or near a perfect level for performance. It is very easy to be too keen, too aggresssive and too impatient and try to force things to happen.

Lastly, I don't think Davey will make it up forward as we need his quicks in the backs due to Garlett/Betts.

I will be there, with either 1 or 2 kids in tow.

Not the Mrs though, she's a Blues supporter. :(

Edited by mrtwister

The fascinating thing to see will be how the team lines up under a new and different coach.

I'm sure Dean Bailey had a plan and was attempting to do something different and innovative, but it certainly didn't work against the stronger sides and the players generally didn't appear to me to be comfortable in these circumstances (exception Collingwood in both 2010 games). Normally, against strong sides like Carlton, they suffered under pressure from too many turnovers which sapped confidence in the players.

With five weeks to go, I don't think it's possible for Viney to introduce an elaborate game plan so what we can expect is simply that each player is freed up to do what he does naturally and what he does best.

In the long run, that sort of simplicity can't be sustained against the top sides in the competition that are well organised and well drilled but in the short term it might be enough if everything falls into place to get us a win against Carlton or West Coast and then who knows what happens from there.

However, overall I'm not sure if it would be to our benefit to make the finals this year even if we won enough games to make them.

We might well be better off finishing the season at Round 22 and starting to work on 2012 which is going to be a critical season for the football club.

Re Scully, I reckon the destablising rumours have come from the media, not Tom.

I totally agree, and I was trying to phrase it a certain way that didn't seem like I was having a go at him. I genuinely believe he just wants to play footy.

Going with my best friend of about 15 years who is a die hard Carlton supporter, and going to sit with the Carlton members.

This is going to be a day to remember. Thankfully post match alcohol consumption should wipe most of the bad memories away :(

Going with my best friend of about 15 years who is a die hard Carlton supporter, and going to sit with the Carlton members.

This is going to be a day to remember. Thankfully post match alcohol consumption should wipe most of the bad memories away :(

Yeah going to meet some relatives who are Carlton supporters, with my little Demons.

Hopefully for your sake, the consumption will be for the good...

I had a dream last night that Sylvia came into the game as a late change, started on the wing and took our Judd or Murphy (can't tell which it was) Mark Yeats on Dermott Brereton style at the opening bounce. This started a massive all in brawl.

Dunno what happened because the house guests woke me up.

Waiting until 2:10 to see what happened!

I'm excited.

Come on Melbourne. If we don't beat them we have to make them very sore and nervous about meeting us in the first final come September. :blink:

Demon Love

Go Dees

Edited by PaulRB

Hopefully for your sake, the consumption will be for the good...

Unlikely.

We're going out with some rather apathetic Melbourne supporters tonight who I know will just take the [censored] out of the club as well.

I'm thinking that the ridiculously bad headache I have right now has something to do with the dread I feel about watching us play. I'm scarred after last week.

That f*%ker Judd will probably rip us a new one too :(

Bate the sub!? Weird.

Yep. And no Sylvia.

I want them to compete, put their heads over the ball, run hard and in a straight line (both ways), and back/support each other.

Wet day = no bruise free footy.