The Tom Scully Saga

What's unhealthy is stealing a #1 draft pick of a club after he has played 30 games. But we rorted the system, so I will not be like some on here and burst into tears. Swings and roundabouts.

This talking point has been thrust upon us by other supporters.

We. Were. That. Bad.

And we are still dealing with dead wood from the Daniher years.

And the only thing that was outright tanking was when we pushed Frawley and Warnock forward against Richmond in a game we should have won if Jordie McMahon was consistent on his output in that kick that he was in the rest of his career...

When I ask other clubs' fans what specific things that so outraged them about our tanking they mention the cutting of White, Robertson, Yze, as evidence of our dastardly deed.

Who agrees with that? I don't.

So if Melbourne fans feel we should get 'karma' for experimenting in one game we nearly won, and ending the careers of a few servants then we are in a bad way...

We. Were. Shite.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom when asked about Jack Watts today said ''I think once we see him at his full confidence, mate he's going show why he was the No. 1 draft pick.''. Toms in for the journey, we can relax and enjoy the season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/attitude-was-the-difference-says-scully-20110604-1fmfg.html#ixzz1OMhicPyO

This talking point has been thrust upon us by other supporters.

We. Were. That. Bad.

And we are still dealing with dead wood from the Daniher years.

And the only thing that was outright tanking was when we pushed Frawley and Warnock forward against Richmond in a game we should have won if Jordie McMahon was consistent on his output in that kick that he was in the rest of his career...

When I ask other clubs' fans what specific things that so outraged them about our tanking they mention the cutting of White, Robertson, Yze, as evidence of our dastardly deed.

Who agrees with that? I don't.

So if Melbourne fans feel we should get 'karma' for experimenting in one game we nearly won, and ending the careers of a few servants then we are in a bad way...

We. Were. Shite.

correct

when you compare the amount of top ten draft picks each side has you find that many others have as many or more than we do, we were absoluely shite for 3 years and got what we 'deserved' for that just like everyone else

A mil a year only works out to be half a mil after tax. I'm guessing we could offer him half a mil a year just like green and flash. So its really only a couple hundred thou a year difference, which could easily be made up in sponsorship deals, and a player like Scully would definitely make some serious $ just as Judd does.

I agree with previous comment that sponsorship would be much more lucrative with a Melbourne club than a rugby state club. It just wouldn't be worth it to go up there imo.

He's either an honest person or he's not.He's either signed or he hasn't.If he's an honest person then he hasn't signed.Some people on here seem to think that its not lying if you can cover your statements with slick agreements or semantics ,I don't!Personally I prefer to think that he's the honest person type. Food for thought - what kind of parents teach their son that its ok to lie if you can somehow cover it up?

I agree, he's a footballer not a politician.

rIf we had kept gerard healey that would have helped in '87, definitely would have got us a flag imo.

@ xiss,tom would win a GF then go on a 10 km run followed by 50 shots for goal.

Driven to perfection people like Tom,tend to not show emotion.However I saw a few signs that buoyed me last night.

If he does leave,good luck to him,it is out of my,yours and probably the MFC to control.If we can't do anything to change his mind C'est la vie.

We move forward with what we have and what we can control.I can't remember one single player we have ever lost,that cost us a flag.Can you?

It is totally in the interests of the GWS backers to quietly fan speculation that there is a 'done deal' because it feeds the mindgames in their overall recruiting push. another article in the age this morning saying how the push into gws will cost the league 200 million and that it will not succeed. tom would be looking at another five years of struggletown in a struggletown to get success, whereas melbourne are showing real signs that we are capable of raising the phoenix. i remember months of speculation in the 90's over stephen tingay going to fremantle, ultimately he stayed. after watching tom's positive comments post-match on friday I am more swaying to him staying. in the end i think intangibles will come into play. melbourne's list is looking extremely good and things are starting to fall into place. plus Jimmy!

rIf we had kept gerard healey that would have helped in '87, definitely would have got us a flag imo.

Guest 36DD

Yes my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek.

I've got a contact at Croc (of [censored]) Media too and I'm afraid to ask him about this issue.

What's unhealthy is stealing a #1 draft pick of a club after he has played 30 games. But we rorted the system, so I will not be like some on here and burst into tears. Swings and roundabouts.

Why is it that Croc Media is being mentioned as a reliable source for anything round here???

My contact at Croc Media told me the rapture was a dead cert n yet here we are.

C'mon people, Croc Media is Hutchy's baby, nuff said.

Someone should tell Mike Sheahan to stop saying Scully is definitely going to GWS

He went on and on about it today on 3AW, and the other commentators think he has inside info at Melb and therefore must be right

He knows SFA and I don't know why he doesn't shut his big fat mouth being a Dees supporter

I've a mate who recently spoke to Mike Sheahan and Sheahan apparently told him that Scully has signed with GSW for $6M over 5 years. I was devastated when I heard this.

However, I now think this rumour is wrong.

I put the rumour to another friend of mine a few days ago (who's heavily involved with GWS), and he said he thinks the rumour's a beat up, but that GWS doesn't wish to extinguish it as it generates talk and, obviously, they would sign Scully if they could (but not for any amount of money). He said their targets were actually slightly older players - for instance, Taylor Walker, whom he said they've secured for next year. Obviously they'd love a Pendlebury, Murphy or Thomas, but it won't be easy for them to get them, even with their fat cheque book.

The win against the Dons will be great for morale amongst our younger brigade, and Scully's part of that. If we can beat the Pies next weekend, he'll probably want to put pen to paper for a 15 year deal with the Dees ... or, at least, I hope he will.

Why is it that Croc Media is being mentioned as a reliable source for anything round here???

My contact at Croc Media told me the rapture was a dead cert n yet here we are.

C'mon people, Croc Media is Hutchy's baby, nuff said.

Maybe that's why I referred to it as Croc of s**t Media.

Edited by Geddy Lee

I reckon this latter one is a fair point - they get two bites at the cherry. Sheedy is definitely eyeing Pendlebury for the second year - why else would Pendlebury sign a 1yr extension only if not to see what GWS has to offer at the end of 2012? They can't afford to have thrown so much money at Folau PLUS do the same for Pendles and Skull, considering the first two demand over a mil a year.

Pendlebury one is definitely tricky. Collingwood will be favourites for this years prem and most likely next year, but will they burn up after this? Pendles may be thinking I can still win two more premierships with the Pies, then scoot off to Sydney with the $$$. On the other hand, Collingwood would have many under the table deals which would ensure Scott has hefty payments outside his contract. Just interesting he only extended it 1 year, knowing full and well GWS will be going for broke in 2012.

Oh yeah and Scully, he'll stay.

I've a mate who recently spoke to Mike Sheahan and Sheahan apparently told him that Scully has signed with GSW for $6M over 5 years. I was devastated when I heard this.

I'd have assumed it was wrong just because of the source. As far as ScullyToGWSgate, Sheahan has been corrupted; his sources are men who benefit strongly from the rumour and innuendo.

Personally I think Tom should announce he's signing on Thursday after training. Should boost the QB crowd by 10,000. It would be quite good for team moral as well and we might just knock the f***ers off.

Personally I think Tom should announce he's signing on Thursday after training. Should boost the QB crowd by 10,000. It would be quite good for team moral as well and we might just knock the f***ers off.

Are they running open training on Sunday? I have an exam Monday morning but I might shoot up to watch them.

If Scully signed in February this year or October this year,which contract would be bigger?

He's not silly!!!

Too right, he probably just earnt another 40-50 Big ones after last friday. He will not come cheap.

I'd have assumed it was wrong just because of the source. As far as ScullyToGWSgate, Sheahan has been corrupted; his sources are men who benefit strongly from the rumour and innuendo.

Sheahan clearly doesn't know because, immediately after Scully's press conference before the season, Sheahan said on the Hun video news that he thought that Scully would stay based on his press conference. Then, by the time the papers were out the next day, he'd changed his mind again.

If the rumour was strong enough then a press conference wouldn't be enough to change anything.

He, as an employee of the Hun, has a vested interest in keeping the Scully story going as long as possible, as do GWS.

Sheahan clearly doesn't know because, immediately after Scully's press conference before the season, Sheahan said on the Hun video news that he thought that Scully would stay based on his press conference. Then, by the time the papers were out the next day, he'd changed his mind again.

If the rumour was strong enough then a press conference wouldn't be enough to change anything.

He, as an employee of the Hun, has a vested interest in keeping the Scully story going as long as possible, as do GWS.

So True.....stories like this one that go on for months & Months make people like Murdoch & Packer lots of coin.......Sheahan and co are just the little drones.

Didn't he say something similar about Bruce resigning?

It was embarrasing when he announced he fully expected Bruce to be at training on the Monday to start pre-season and he wasn't.

I thought he would have learnt from that. Don't play it out in the media Bailey.

Guest hangon007

Didn't he say something similar about Bruce resigning?

IMHO Cam Bruce is the one who may live to regret leaving the Demons. Bailey merely pointed out it was Cam's choice to leave not ours.