Roos will coach the Demons

Guest DeesPower

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....this is where snowballs start to roll.

They dont roll uphill. I think you are looking for splinters but missing the forest.

There was nothing in it WL. The statement was only reflective of what many have already said and written about the state of the game both on here and in the AFL media.

If you actually took the statement in context with the rest of the article there is nothing extraordinary at all. In fact it is a sensible move by the Club.

You obviously do not know Lyon. What would Lyon add?

Your right I dont know him.

I do know he was a terrific player for the club, is a loyal dee and close to Jimmy.

He was a hard at the ball player.

I think he would bring passion and his playing ethos.

He is also still in the right age bracket to be a direct mentor to players.

I see elsewhere on this site he may be already doing that.

My point was that we may need to consider some more one on one mentoring of specific players and our current coaching in some areas seems to have stalled this year.

They dont roll uphill. I think you are looking for splinters but missing the forest.

There was nothing in it WL. The statement was only reflective of what many have already said and written about the state of the game both on here and in the AFL media.

If you actually took the statement in context with the rest of the article there is nothing extraordinary at all. In fact it is a sensible move by the Club.

i am not saying it is not a sensible move at all. And i am not against it, all i read in that article is that some things could soon change...in keeping with moving away from base camp.

Your right I dont know him.

I do know he was a terrific player for the club, is a loyal dee and close to Jimmy.

He was a hard at the ball player.

I think he would bring passion and his playing ethos.

He is also still in the right age bracket to be a direct mentor to players.

I see elsewhere on this site he may be already doing that.

My point was that we may need to consider some more one on one mentoring of specific players and our current coaching in some areas seems to have stalled this year.

I dont see how any of the points you mention above help in a mentoring capacity. Will Grimes go any harder at the ball because he is being mentored by Lyon? For reasons outside of what you mention I do not think he is a great choice.

I dont see how any of the points you mention above help in a mentoring capacity. Will Grimes go any harder at the ball because he is being mentored by Lyon? For reasons outside of what you mention I do not think he is a great choice.

yes and Jack Watts is planning on having a cappucino with Dermott Brereton, magically transforming him into a tough animal of a player who kicks bags with ease

this is the fairyland most here live in

and who would be in the "Dream team" - the Thompson equivalent? Malthouse??? Chris Connolly??? and the other assistants? Todd Viney, Andy Lovel?.......

Is there another former or current Coach listed in this thread? Perhaps listed in the title of this thread? One that's said he's not interested in being 'the coach' any more but is still clearly interested in footy? ;)

yes apparently Malthouse is working pro bono :blink:

No AFL Coaches work ProBono :blink:. BUT, they have coaching in their BLOODS. Passion that Oozes Footy. And to be in charge of a Club and Gamestyle to win the Flag.

Entertainers aren't in love with Coaching, simply because it's not the first Priority. Otherwise they would be coaching. Senior footy at least at VFL level. Not playing the WAG on TV.

Edited by dee-luded

Methinks Paul Roos will not coach again till his kids have finished their secondary schooling in Sydney. Googling tells me his kids were 14 and 12 in September of 2008 so they'd be 17 and 15 by the end of this year so at least one will be in secondary school for another couple of years.

I've been critical of Bailey in the past (Terrible post after Hawthorn game - pardon), and I'm still not convinced. I have since formed the following opinions:

1> Bailey's game plan is risky and I don't think it will stand up to finals pressure. We have midfielders streaming into our forward line in anticipation of clean disposal. As a consequence, we get seriously worked over for any mistake - the opposition often get goals where we have most of our players up the wrong end of the field. I'm glad he's overseen the drafting of guys who have good disposal, but I feel he over-rates their potential to overcome high-pressure tactics. In Bailey's favour, we did well against Collingwood twice last year. Still feel worried though, and wouldn't want to play the Pies in a final.

2> We lack aggression (often alluded to on this site). We have good aggressive players - Moloney, Jones, Sylvia (at times), Petterd, Jetta. We have potential aggressive players - Tapscott, Trengove and a few others. What concerns me is that lack of aggressive team attitude. If you look at Collingwood, or more reasonably, Essendon (with their young list), their default is aggression at the ball. We have far too many players who are being baby-sat until they grow into their talent (sic). If Watts were at one of those teams he'd be told to lift his physicality now, not when the protein powder and Nautilus sessions kick in in two year's time! The physicality of these young players will only occur in a couple of years if they start building the habits now. I know there's a fine line between getting them injured and having them be somewhat passive, but I think the risk has to be taken, or we will end up with a bunch of skillful yet easily brushed off the ball lightweights. AGAIN.

3> To fix point number two - start dropping players who don't work hard enough off the ball. I don't want to hear "He struggled to find much of the ball - but he spread well" ever again. Get the pill or [censored] off to Casey until you can.

4> Wellman = massive loss. MFC website already reporting poor games by backs being out of position. Same players (Garland, Rivers, Frawley), who while having missed some games, surely should not have forgotten the basic rules of being a backman. Something is rotten in that backline, and it's not the players.

If it was 04 then he coached them to 6th, if it was 05 then a premiership win - did the ends justify the means - for the swans it did.

Did he invent the flood or merely work it better? Does this make him a one-trick pony or prove he is progressive enough to adapt masterfully with the game?

IF MFC is formulating a DB succession plan now, they would be silly not to consider Roos; assuming he is interested, which may be assuming a lot. I hear he is going to GWS with Scully. (friend of friend, very reliable source)

Well apart from the flood, he always turned out a team that played with a lot of intensity and physical courage

I'm sure our boys could do with a dose of that, eh?

4> Wellman = massive loss. MFC website already reporting poor games by backs being out of position. Same players (Garland, Rivers, Frawley), who while having missed some games, surely should not have forgotten the basic rules of being a backman. Something is rotten in that backline, and it's not the players.

You're convinced ?

What happened with Royal at St Kilda ?

its interesting in a way.. Bailey laments the lack of intensity...esp for 4/4 . Roos is reknown for his teams' intensity. Roos also I think a very good day game stategist.

Still ...very early to be discussing Bailey's demise. Maybe mid season's a better idea....should it so pan out. I hope not.. But contingency is well within the scope and due dilligence of the club.

I personally do not want to see Bailey go...

And I think we have the smallest, slightest, tiniest chance at ever landing Paul Roos so attempting to lure him may be a negative to this current season.

However if we have a legitimate chance to land a premiership coach who any moron would have to regard as one of the best in the land and who brings a list together as a team better than anybody else... Well you would have to do it... Surely.

Paul Roos commands respect from players in the same way that only Malthouse, Matthews, Sheedy and Bomber Thompson have been able to in recent times.

Having watched Paul Roos "On The Couch" for the last 6 weeks, I'm now firmly convinced that Paul Roos either is already lined up to coach the Demons next year or really wants to. He seems to take a great interest in the team, the Admin and the traditions of the club, is very careful not to criticize the Administration even when it is called for, and seems to have an indepth knowledge of the players, even more so than would be called for from the skilled analyst that he is. It is in stark contrast to Mike Sheahan who appears to becoming more and more critical of the Dees performance, and is clearly "egging on" him to join the criticism. So far Roos is not biting.

By the way, I think he would be an extremely good "fit" for the Club and take it to the next level as far as performance is concerned. I'm not sure our current coaching staff have the skills to do that.

Discuss ...

Think you might find there will be no red in the jumpers of the team he might coach. Just blue.

I actually agree with you on this one rpfc (believe it or not!). Roos is yesterday's man.

But I do agree that he appears to be angling for a coaching job and have noticed his interest in Melbourne.

I support your points raised- he either would be interested in coaching us or believes we have a bright future is my opinion. In having a look at our list- no wonder he would or indeed any other budding coaches.

i am not saying it is not a sensible move at all. And i am not against it, all i read in that article is that some things could soon change...in keeping with moving away from base camp.

So how does this refer to rumblings from within?

You trying to infer something in the article that was not there.....no matter how you wriggle.

So how does this refer to rumblings from within?

You trying to infer something in the article that was not there.....no matter how you wriggle.

The Paragraph i highlighted in # 44 caught my attention. If all was well i doubt Cameron would have made that statement to a journalist. He left the door open.

If all was running smoothly this would have all stayed in house IMO.