• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Roos will coach the Demons

Guest DeesPower

Rpfc, many of us expect our team performance to improve over what we've seen so far this year. But if it doesn't improve, which I'm just beginning to think is a real possibility, do you think DB will stay?

Perhaps it's just a matter of everybody who is pro-Bailey thinks we'll improve, and everybody anti-Bailey doesn't. In which case, it's entirely in Bailey's hands - if we improve as a team, he definitely stays, but if not, it's up in the air.

Performance will go up and down over the year. If the core stats or KPIs stagnate or go down - he is in trouble (look at Schwab's WW for the Status Reports that they complete).

So far, we are where we were in 2010 as far as I can see.Our third quarters have been abyssmal after being great in 2010.

Some on here equate 2010 to the Sydney game - those people are clueless. Have a look at the WCE game at the G last year - we scored 46 points against the wooden spooners on our home turf!

I am not fretting about our gameplan - they are constantly tweaked, nor the form of key players - they will improve, I am more concerned about our on-field leadership, but that only has a long term solution...

I just don't think we are that good. I'd be happy if the team can lift their application to an entire game before we demand finals action...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in that case you'd be a Collingwood, Manchester United, Ferrari fan, eh?

Hey, you can take the boy out of Melbourne (Croydon to be precise), but you can't take the Melbourne out of the boy! Been a true Dees supporter since the second half of the 50's, was a Leeds follower when I could be bothered with that game, and there are only three cars I would want to own if money was no object: an original gun metal blue gull-wing Mercedes, an original AC Cobra, and a british racing green E-Type Jag :-)

Edited by hardtack

Hey, you can take the boy out of Melbourne (Croydon to be precise), but you can't take the Melbourne out of the boy! Been a true Dees supporter since the second half of the 50's, was a Leeds follower when I could be bothered with that game, and there are only three cars I would want to own if money was no object: an original gun metal blue gull-wing Mercedes, an original AC Cobra, and a british racing green E-Type Jag :-)

Ah, well done Mate, you've got class,,, and if I could add another to list, Aston Martin, DB-4 - pardon the pun...

was making the point that maybe "band-waggon" was not the best analogy

being dee's supporters on this forun I dont think there are too many band-waggoners here

There is no "years behind in tactics". Game plans come and go and few last more than a year before other sides work them out. Hawthorn won a flag in 2008 based on their zone. Collingwood won a flag in 2010 based on their press. St Kilda almost won two flags with their ultra defensive tactics. Hawthorn's zone was countered (although they had a lot of injuries and retirements), St Kilda's zone/press combo is falling apart and Collingwood's press will be countered. If Collingwood win the flag this year they will have done marvelously. I will eat my hat if they win the next two. Next year a new tactic will come along and catch the competition by surprise.

What matters is man-on-man pressure and the ability to execute skills under pressure. That will never change. The Demons' footy department has been assiduously preparing the players for the time when they will be able to compete with the heavy hitters, but we aren't there yet, not by a long way. My major concern is player size: can we make our slight players bigger? But I don't have a problem with the continued development of our skills. Nor do I have much of an issue with our supposed lack of a gameplan. By the time our players are ready to grind it out with the big boys, any gameplan we develop now will be out of date.

What we need are hardened bodies, good skills & experience. When we have that we will be well placed to introduce or deal with the gameplan du jour.

Heres a memory for you to hang your beret on, when your not driving.

Tram%20and%20Y&J_246F.jpg

Talk of replacing DB this early in 2011 is premature. he and the team need time to show their best form which clearly have not so far. But Melbourne is not winless!

Maybe Roos' keen interest in the MFC may only indicate he has a soft spot for the MFC. He almost bcame a MFC player and probably would have been captain if the Melbourne - Fitzroy merger had gone ahead in early 80s.

I think Mike's more critical view reflacts his strong desire for more from our players and success for the MFC, like all other keen Demon supporters.

The last premiership coach appointed to the MFC was RDB, so that was shown not to be a great criteria onn its own!

(Not a) Wellman has absolutely no chance of being appointed to coach MFC in 2012! He has just dumped us after having signed up with thhe MFC for 2011 for the Hird extravaganza. Hardly going to reward him with a promotion!

As for Gazza, there is not much logic dumping a first time coach who will have 4 years experience by the end of 2011 for a coach wih no experience to hold the job during the window of opportunity coming in the next 2 to 5 years. Must only go for someone with more senior experience if there is to be a change.

Also, MFC does not have the financial resources to appoint Garry as senior coach supported by an experienced person like Malthouse or Roos (ala Hird/Thomson or Buckley/Malthouse)

Nothing Wrong with Ferrari's DC...But you can Jam the other two!!! :lol:

Nothing wrong with the car WYL, it's the good-time, band-waggon, hangers-on that give me the pip;

Somehow if they just buy a Ferrari flag, pit-style tracksuit and such paraphenalia they think they are special

Nothing wrong with the car WYL, it's the good-time, band-waggon, hangers-on that give me the pip;

Somehow if they just buy a Ferrari flag, pit-style tracksuit and such paraphenalia they think they are special

Agreed. Look closely at my Picture DC...i am a real fan.

HaHaha. I luv it, beautiful analogy.

Guest DeesPower

Do not go easy,this aint the MCG where a 9 game rookie might struggle.maybe i should hail to your experience.

It is quantifiable to me,and many other supporters.To believe you need to be part of a group to judge it is ludicrous.

We all go by our own anecdotal evidence in regards to the players respect level for Bailey. I do not believe players are outrageously angry with him ,which, in aussie rules vernacular means losing respect.Respect can be lost or never gained before we get to that point.

I say "respect" in respect of a Senior AFL coach.I am sure the players like and respect him in other ways.On the flip side ,if i am incorrect,we do not have a game plan to match modern footy.Our harassment of oppositions is auskick.But i digress.

they do not play as if they respect him.That is the only measuring stick we have.Who in this forum is honestly respectful of Valium Baileys reputation-in comparison to Malthouse all the way down to the Scotts and Hardwick.

Hardwick gets a hell of a lot more out of his team than Valium Bailey does.

Case in point our first half against Richmond 2010.

Hardwick had Richmond at us .He had fired them up and they reacted by out contesting us.Our class,in comparison to Richmonds, got us over the line.A win yes, but a substantial warning sign that had been warmed by many small alarms,there were no surprises.(thx Radiohead)

NTH Melbourne did the same thing,Scott used the game as a final.He put it to his players that Melbourne were gaining a reputable list without reputable results ,they smashed us.

Our intensity is poor and if a coach has a job it is at least to manage intensity to a good enough and sustainable level.Our starts are poor,even against the Schoolboy Suns.This is when the coaches message is atits most indelible.

Footballers are people who rank by reputation,it takes an especially dynamic personality to over throw that fact.Allistair Clarkson bulldozed himself a rep.

Who is Dean Bailey?Not many people know in the simplest asking of that question,but seriously who is he?What does he stand for,aside from droned rhetoric.Where does his passion ,balanced with anger and excitement,lie?

We are regressing people,there is no pressure on the opposition.Not perceived pressure from a strategic set up or by the players via intensity.Bad habits are becoming our development.

Most contributors to the mass media of Aussie Rules are disappointed by Melbourne,we are not where they expected us to be.

Every Melbourne supporter should ask themselves one honest question- Do i believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership?

if the answer is instinctively and essentially no,you should not support Bailey in any way.Do not feel any obligation to the man as a supporter as this is his career and he will change jumpers without conscience when he leaves.We do not serve him ,he serves us.

This is a good summation of where i am at with Bailey and his coaching team at the moment. We will only get one go at this. If we reappoint Bailey for presumably three years, then we are saying we are very confident he will take us to a flag. Frankly, i see nothing to suggest this will happen. We have gone backwards this year when we should be improving. We have seen nothing approaching our best from last year, and the intensity has been well and truly down. Basic skills like hitting targets and kicking out are way below where they were last year, and our consistency is frankly pathetic, even from quarter to quarter.

The Board have a crucial decision to make at the end of this year. Do we stick with a coach who's abilty is unknown in terms of his capability to deliver a premiership, or now that we have built an outstanding list, do we appoint someone like Roos or Malthouse who have proven they can deliver the goods, and have shown they can attract and retain top notch assistant coaches. My concern with Bailey is as much that he does not seem able to attract and retain the top quality assistants so his coaching team is not elite. In fact, in some critical areas, i think it is substandard and the way they play this year compared to last suggests the defections from his coaching team from last year are making a huge (negative) difference.

I support the process the club is going through in this respect, but there are really critical decisions ahead.

God i hope we don't squib on this once in a generation decision.

Edited by DeesPower

I support the process the club is going through in this respect, but there are really critical decisions ahead.

I couldn't agree more!

With what they have done and achieved since taking control of the club, I don't think this administration will have any problem making the call they believe serves the best interests of club.

I'm sure they will make the tough call if they need to.

I couldn't agree more!

With what they have done and achieved since taking control of the club, I don't think this administration will have any problem making the call they believe serves the best interests of club.

I'm sure they will make the tough call if they need to.

Big decision making year this for the club. Bailey out of contract at year end. Flag push at crossroads.

Does he have the where-withall for the post-build/develop cycle in the flag push

He may have been the man for the first stage but is he the man for the next stage(s)

I don't know, but I've got to admit I'm somewhat skeptical and far from convinced at this stage.

However in all fairness we should hold off jumping the gun (re Bailey) until closer to season end

And of course there is the rest of the FD, how are they travelling? Do the need replacing? Do they need supplementing etc etc.

you'll have to provide a bigger picture WYL - eyesight not what it was

Front Gates to Ferrari Factory in Maranello Italy...i stood there for an hour before i went in to the Ferrari museum down the road.

A wonderful day...hopefully something akin to the elation i shall feel when the MFC hold up that dammed Cup!

Big decision making year this for the club. Bailey out of contract at year end. Flag push at crossroads.

Does he have the where-withall for the post-build/develop cycle in the flag push

He may have been the man for the first stage but is he the man for the next stage(s)

I don't know, but I've got to admit I'm somewhat skeptical and far from convinced at this stage.

However in all fairness we should hold off jumping the gun (re Bailey) until closer to season end

And of course there is the rest of the FD, how are they travelling? Do the need replacing? Do they need supplementing etc etc.

Correct, it is not just Bailey...he cannot coach everything...our whole FD is under the eye this year. They would have known it, but there can be no excuses at all...Heard them all so many times before.

Guest bonjohn

This is a good summation of where i am at with Bailey and his coaching team at the moment. We will only get one go at this. If we reappoint Bailey for presumably three years, then we are saying we are very confident he will take us to a flag. Frankly, i see nothing to suggest this will happen. We have gone backwards this year when we should be improving. We have seen nothing approaching our best from last year, and the intensity has been well and truly down. Basic skills like hitting targets and kicking out are way below where they were last year, and our consistency is frankly pathetic, even from quarter to quarter.

The Board have a crucial decision to make at the end of this year. Do we stick with a coach who's abilty is unknown in terms of his capability to deliver a premiership, or now that we have built an outstanding list, do we appoint someone like Roos or Malthouse who have proven they can deliver the goods, and have shown they can attract and retain top notch assistant coaches. My concern with Bailey is as much that he does not seem able to attract and retain the top quality assistants so his coaching team is not elite. In fact, in some critical areas, i think it is substandard and the way they play this year compared to last suggests the defections from his coaching team from last year are making a huge (negative) difference.

thank you.

melbourne is a place of infinite resource within the playing group.Do we want BHP or Fortescue pulling the resources?Yes we do.For the current crop of snake oil salesman(Connelly,Bailey etc) i have to go back to get a correlation,maybe Pyramid.

Also what the hell is Kelley odonnell being paid for?

Guest bonjohn

There is no "years behind in tactics". Game plans come and go and few last more than a year before other sides work them out. Hawthorn won a flag in 2008 based on their zone. Collingwood won a flag in 2010 based on their press. St Kilda almost won two flags with their ultra defensive tactics. Hawthorn's zone was countered (although they had a lot of injuries and retirements), St Kilda's zone/press combo is falling apart and Collingwood's press will be countered. If Collingwood win the flag this year they will have done marvelously. I will eat my hat if they win the next two. Next year a new tactic will come along and catch the competition by surprise.

What matters is man-on-man pressure and the ability to execute skills under pressure. That will never change. The Demons' footy department has been assiduously preparing the players for the time when they will be able to compete with the heavy hitters, but we aren't there yet, not by a long way. My major concern is player size: can we make our slight players bigger? But I don't have a problem with the continued development of our skills. Nor do I have much of an issue with our supposed lack of a gameplan. By the time our players are ready to grind it out with the big boys, any gameplan we develop now will be out of date.

What we need are hardened bodies, good skills & experience. When we have that we will be well placed to introduce or deal with the gameplan du jour.

i meant and articulated development not tactics.

Guest bonjohn

That is perhaps the worst post about this topic I have ever read.

youre fav player is Jones,nous being the judge Game,Set and match againdt any of your opinions.

Guest bonjohn

There really are some gaping holes in your argument.

So your evidence that Richmond respect Hardwick and the Roos respect Scott more is that they were more fired up to play us? So therefore the fact that we ran last year’s Premiers to a point, and then drew with them the next time around (when they had the chance to learn from the first time) means that our players respect Bailey more than Collingwood players respect Malthouse.

You’re making some pretty big assumptions for someone not in the inner sanctum of the club. Yes our intensity certainly hasn’t been up to scratch this year. We likely thought we had it won against Brisbane and almost paid a massive price. You do realise that every club does that?

Do Melbourne supporters believe our current coach will lead us to a premiership you ask. Did Hawthorn supporters believe Al Clarkson would lead them to a premiership? Did Geelong supporters believe Mark Thompson would lead them to a premiership?

There is a reason that supporters don’t make decisions for footy clubs. If we let our supporters make decisions based on the informed opinions they think they have from sitting on their lounge chair at home yelling at the TV we would have had 8 coaches since 2007.

Football is such a complicated game. It isn’t easy. It takes time to build a team good enough to win a flag. There is no set course. Some teams have some luck and do it quicker than expected (Hawthorn), some teams take a long time (Collingwood). Some teams do almost everything right and just don’t have enough luck (St Kilda).

This is a reply i should not even consider,yadi yada yada no sense,but you do not have the acumen to learn from a full rebuttal

We aren’t playing overly well at the moment. It is frustrating and if we play like this all year then there will be some questions asked. But some of you need to calm down and stop blowing up after 4 rounds.

Yes!

Here we have a coach in Bailey who has virtually dismantled what he had inherited and then re-built from the ground up a team that will start to move ahead in leaps and bounds over the next couple of seasons. I would think that the football department probably now considers the list to be where they wanted in terms of player acquisitions, so now they can settle into the process of team development as opposed to player development.

The way I see it, this is essentially year one of Bailey's coaching tenure as he now has the team assembled to take us forward into the finals and eventually the grand final. We are already ahead of where we were at this point last year, which was well ahead of where we were the year before, so I am perfectly content to see how the rest of the season pans out before putting the boot in.

These so called supporters who are sharpening the knives just four weeks into a season really p#ss me off... they either conveniently forget, or just plain overlook the fact that we came very close to making the eight last year, had we not run out of steam late in the season due to youth and lack of experience; they overlook the fact that we are still in a team development phase and although we will improve, we will also experience highs and lows on and off the field; they are always looking back over their shoulder instead of at what is ahead of them.

Hardtack I disagree, we were well off the mark in a lot of games last year, we had a purple patch during April to early May.

The rest of the season was ordinary at best.

With a month to go we had a chance and played what I think was poor football.

We beat only Richmond over the last four games.