Take a Bow Jonesy

Bobby McKenzie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall a good game from Jones, but it says a lot about his average output when his 'good game' still features numerous skill errors.

Show me the player that makes no errors!

After last week he has put in a good one today.

Go Nathan! you have a great heart

A good game today by Chunk. Was willing to continue to break the lines, and had a hot patch where his disposal into the 50 was sublime.

A few disposal errors but there were quite a few today given the conditions.

Conditions suited him and he stepped up, as a good leader should.

We need him to always perform at this level or he will quickly find himself at Casey. That is the harsh reality of being a top quality team, if you are not performing at a very high level you are in danger.

He obviously got a big kick up the backside from Bailey last week and so was much better in the contests today.

Jones is nowhere near the others, his social media keeps his profile up but where has he improved in the last 4 years.

Struggles with consistency and hasn't nailed down a place in the side and leaves himself open to the younger brigade coming thro...

He knew this last year when he went to chat to Bailey about his place in the side going forward before he signed his contract.

4 years, part of our leadership group and not performin at the required level often enough - he would say questions must be asked

Bring back McKenzie quickly

What? McKenzie hasn't played since the early 50's. Don't worry Nathan, they are just downhill skiers who carp and criticise. whilst you go in and do the heavy work.

Show me the player that makes no errors!

After last week he has put in a good one today.

Go Nathan! you have a great heart

Missed the point.

That game from Lenny Hayes, Gary Ablett or Chris Judd is not as big of a difference from their norm as it is for Jones. He still made some crucial errors, by hand, by foot, and with marking. Yes, he played well overall, but we are heaping praise upon him for an effort that we should be expecting each week.

Overall a good game from Jones, but it says a lot about his average output when his 'good game' still features numerous skill errors.

By numerous, what you really mean is 2...a missed pass into the 50 in the 2nd, and a dropped mark in the last quarter. Otherwise, he was excellent today, and ran EVERYWHERE, presenting for the kick-ins, and working the ball into space from the clearances when he could. His engine is simply massive, and thank the Demon Gods for that! He and Beamer were lone hands in the first quarter. Well done Jonesy, at least your qualities are apparent to some of us.

Missed the point.

That game from Lenny Hayes, Gary Ablett or Chris Judd is not as big of a difference from their norm as it is for Jones. He still made some crucial errors, by hand, by foot, and with marking. Yes, he played well overall, but we are heaping praise upon him for an effort that we should be expecting each week.

The guy had a bad one last week he responds and plays much better

But we still want to can him.

He will never be the guys you list above so why not except what we have.

A great foot soldier.

Green is worrying me a lot more than Jones!

Edited by old dee

I am one of those who questions his ability to hold his spot over the next 18 months / 2 years considering other potentially more skillful young players coming up behind him. But he was sensational today. I think his work in the 2nd quarter also needs a mention. He took the game on and ran through spaces, more than many others were doing at the time. He set up that brief spell of 3 goals by sheer hard work. At the moment we cannot do without him. He has a crack, shows heart and leaves nothing behind.

Edited by Maldonboy38

By numerous, what you really mean is 2...a missed pass into the 50 in the 2nd, and a dropped mark in the last quarter. Otherwise, he was excellent today, and ran EVERYWHERE, presenting for the kick-ins, and working the ball into space from the clearances when he could. His engine is simply massive, and thank the Demon Gods for that! He and Beamer were lone hands in the first quarter. Well done Jonesy, at least your qualities are apparent to some of us.

Spot on.

Otherwise, he was excellent today, and ran EVERYWHERE, presenting for the kick-ins, and working the ball into space from the clearances when he could.

I have to agree this was his best game that I have seen, it just makes me wonder what the difference was today

I dont over analise the game, but was he in the clear a little more today, not putting his head down and running straight at his opposition ?

Great to see a win today, Give em Hell Go DEES !!

A typical game from a C grader.

Some of you are easily pleased, or just poor watchers of football.

Rubbish comment... three goal assists in our last four goals of the game, 27 quality possessions (2nd highest for the Dees and 3rd highest on the ground) and 7 marks. Sure there was the odd handling error, but in the conditions that was perfectly understandable.

To those who keep harping on about his skill errors he had a disposal efficiency of 81% today. Behind only Rivers on 90% and LJ on 83%...

This bloke will never get the credit he deserves from posters round here. Sylvia misses a target, Green misses a set shot and no one bats an eyelid, Jones misses one and he is a hack. Jones is one of the few Melbourne players who week in week out puts his body on the line and has a real crack. He hadn't been in great form before today but worked his way through the rough patch and was ONE of only a FEW players who stepped up when we needed.

I feel that many here like Hannabal can't see past the end of their nose and take the blinkers off to what blokes like he and Moloney bring to the team. YES in two years he/they might struggle for a game, but until our midfield group come on enough and actually show the same desire for the contest that he shows, he deserves his spot in the team.

Edited by Grandson of a gun

To those who keep harping on about his skill errors he had a disposal efficiency of 81% today. Behind only Rivers on 90% and LJ on 83%...

That statistic has little to no meaning, don't bother using it.

Jones had a good game today. No one is disputing that. But he is not a star, this game does not change that.

A typical game from a C grader.

Some of you are easily pleased, or just poor watchers of football.

Or STUBBORN critics of a player no matter what he does! Bet you didn't or won't even give him one vote. You are the one showing the poor form Hannabal. Are you a C grader too?

Guest Gotzy15

it would be wrong of me not to put a post up for this thread. Ive been a massive critic of jonesy for a long time now and have been very forthcoming in voicing my opinions on him over the last couple of weeks on demonland.

Chunk played a great game today and i take my hat off to him.I thought he worked really hard at the stoppages, was prepared to take the game on with some run and carry and presented well at times and made himself an option.I also saw some good on field leadership and encouragement which i criticised him for last week.Im going to be a man and say i may have jumped on his back a little bit and it may have been a little unjustified. No one can possibly argue with me in saying that he is the 'whipping boy' of our club and i guess a lot of us can be harsh on him at times but what we saw today is what we need a lot more consistently.

Lets all sit on the fence a little for a few weeks and reserve judgement on exactly where he is until he plays a really good game like today against a top 8 side in a big game.

That statistic has little to no meaning, don't bother using it.

Jones had a good game today. No one is disputing that. But he is not a star, this game does not change that.

Yeah it means nothing. You're kidding yourself. It is an accurate reflection of whether his disposals actually went were they were meant too.

No one said he is a star. No one is professing he is a star. No one is saying he is the next Chris Judd or will carry Melbourne on his shoulders to a flag.

He is honest. And he works a hell of a lot harder and generally provides more for the Demons than many do or will ever give him credit for because everyone needs to have a whipping boy...

Steady on Ox! Keep your horns in! I merely REPORTED what an outsider stated.It was not MY comment that he was in the same league as the others. He certainly is not. BUT If we had a few more showing the same attitude as Nathan we would be all the better for it.

I can't wait until the next time you start a thread to quote a tweet that you later suggest is wrong.

This bloke will never get the credit he deserves from posters round here. Sylvia misses a target, Green misses a set shot and no one bats an eyelid, Jones misses one and he is a hack. Jones is one of the few Melbourne players who week in week out puts his body on the line and has a real crack. He hadn't been in great form before today but worked his way through the rough patch and was ONE of only a FEW players who stepped up when we needed.

I feel that many here like Hannabal can't see past the end of their nose and take the blinkers off to what blokes like he and Moloney bring to the team. YES in two years he/they might struggle for a game, but until our midfield group come on enough and actually show the same desire for the contest that he shows, he deserves his spot in the team.

Congratulations to Jonesy, one of the players who brought it home yesterday.