GAME DAY

Pink Freud

Just got back from the game.

As has been said, we had so many big names out that any negatives in terms of ability to follow the game plan or execute are moot.

Positives:

Forwards: Jetta was excellent. Maric and Petterd looked very good. Watts was pretty good. Howes looks a likely type too. Stef Martin is getting better and will probably do for the tall option. If you put Jurrah back in there, it will be a hard forward line to match up on. They'll look better with better delivery too - see midfield.

Midfield: Moloney and Sylvia were good. Gysberts can play but just looked underdone for match fitness - and played on Simon Black for quite a period too, which doesn't help young blokes look good in any case. Scully showed glimpses of his best, but also needs more matches (probably not many though). If you add Davey, Green, McKenzie, and Trengove - we'll look a lot better there. Jones did some good things but was toweled by Daniel Rich. Tough job for Jones or anyone.

Backs: Missing Frawley and Garland. Missing Grimes and Bartram. Too much work for Riv and MacDonald. Tapscott was impressive when he got the ball and is a beautiful penetrating kick and a good physical presence - again, needs matches under his belt. Might end up our kicker inerrer. Jamie Bennell did some good things.

Why we lost comfortably - the hook leads didn't work. Too many players lacking the match fitness to consistently get between their opponents and the goals, and the delivery was haphazard. Also just missing too much class in terms of disposal and pressure in the back half. In the end, the Lions scored easily and we scored with difficulty.

I don't think you'd recognise the team once round one arrives.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will be good to hear from people that were there sounded like our forward pressure was poo they rebounded way 2 easy

Hard to have forward pressure when there is no forward line. Countless times Melbourne players looked up to no options up forward of the centre.

Jetta was easily Melbourne's best.

Bate should be playing a lot at Casey this year. His awkardness is painful to watch.

Watts was soft.

Scully did nothing.

Tappscott's foot is a weapon.

Umpiring was dreadful.

Sylvia did nothing.

I really hope next week Melbourne pick the best team possible and don't rest anyone.

I have just got home from the game. I tend to agree in dont be concerned as lots missing and Lions had a strong sude. However the concerns were as follows:

-those out there given a chance to show there worth seriously lacked intensity.

-The majority of major skills errors were made by players who will most likely play round 1 (hello to Jones, MacDonald, Rivers).

- The team showed a complete lack of forward structure exactly reminiscent of this time last year. The number of times a player looked up and there was no-one within 60m of our goal was laughable.

- Our stoppage structure was as poor as last week. Black and Rich did what they liked at the stoppages.

The positives:

- No major injuries (although it appeared Strauss may have done a hammy).

- The form of Jetta (clearly BOG) and Maric.

- The debut of Tapscott. His kicking from half back was sublime and I would be doing everything to push him into the round 1 side.

It was again re-affirmed for me that a side can only have 1 of Rivers, MacDonald and Warnock if we expect to win. It also reaffirmed that Jones and Bate are not starting 22 players.

True it is just a practice match without most of our best players, however it's funny how if we were playing like Essendon are at the moment we would all be screaming TOP 4!!! Not so much todays game but even the wins in SA were not spectacular and a near full stregnth side against the bombers reserves was laughable. Just there desire to show improvement and have a dip. As we all say, it's just pre season, it would be nice to carry some sort of form and/or confidence into round 1 though.

It's always disappointing to lose to a team like Brisbane who really isn't much of a threat, but clearly with the players we had out we were nowhere near full strength, and thus this form is not indicative of what we expect to see in Round 1.

Having said that, the last two weeks have shown us exactly where we need to improve, and that our depth maybe isn't as strong as what we have been trumpeting over the summer.

Pressure on the ball carrier is, these days, completely non-negotiable, and we don't seem to be at the level that is required. Again, this is only the pre-season, but I'd rather see us putting in the effort than not.

I'm glad we have Hawthorn next week (or, if somehow Collingwood can't beat West Coast, Fremantle). We haven't played a finalist from 2010 yet and hopefully we'll field the best side we have available. Then we'll get a fairer analysis of where we're at.

Glad to hear Tapscott got through his debut. It also seems like Maric is on track for a Round 1 berth, although Jetta might be fighting him for the same position.

What exactly is it we do at training???

Because I don't see a lot cohesion, intensity or skills happening out there. The simple idea of trying to follow a game plan does not appear to be evident.

What exactly is it we do at training???

Because I don't see a lot cohesion, intensity or skills happening out there. The simple idea of trying to follow a game plan does not appear to be evident.

There will be cohesion when Davey, Captain Green, Grimes, Morton, General Frawley and Cougar Jurrah all come back in ;)

Without doubt.

Also just got back from Cardboard Park. We played the kids Cook (2nd half), Tapscott, Howe, Tom McDonald, Nicholson and Evans all got a run. McDonald looks good coming out of defence. He has good size, clean hands and shows poise under pressure. I reckon he will be in the 22 by years end. Nicholson is a magnet, got quite a bit of it in the final qtr... is slight for this level but is a footballer! Howe made his presence felt and probably contributed as much as Watts, however, Jack's kicking for goal is sublime. I agree with everything that has been said about Tapscott. He is looking fully fit and one feels much more secure with the ball in his hands than when Strauss has it. By the way, Strauss often takes the kick out but he waits so long to get rid of it that he ends up a one trick pony, kicking it to himself then long to a boundary contest. Of the regulars, Sylvia was terrific in the first half, Jones was good in patches and never stops trying, Moloney got better as the game went on, Jamar owned the ruck and took a couple of big grabs up forward, Spencer is looking better each game and is certainly a handy back-up. He is huge now! Was good to see Gysberts out there but he seemed to tire. Jetta was in everything and laid some big tackles. He did some smart things in the packs. Jamie Bennell is pushed off the contest too easily but his run is superb, notably in the fourth quarter. Bate contributed and looks fit. Dunn coasted without being dominant. Scully had a quiet first half but was starting to show something in the final qtr. Cook got a late run but didn't get many opportunities with the ball. Bail had flashes of brilliance and tried hard all day. Rivers was Rivers. He made one big mistake kicking across goal in the first quarter allowing a Brisvegas forward to chip in for a goal. McDonald did a similar bad kick in the third going across the centre square to opposition after ignoring Evans who was free on the other HFF. Moloney and Martin also caughed up the ball by hand and foot. The umpires were ordinary, missing many obvious frees then picking out tiggy-touch-wood frees which were particularly damaging in our backline. At least three Brisvegas goals were the result of doubtful umpiring. I'll leave it at that and maybe answer any questions that crop up. Given they got a few goals from rediculous errors by MFC foot and the aforementioned umpiring influence, and the fact that we played several kids, I'm not too depressed about the result. We definitely have unearthed a few strong contenders for the best 22 in years to come in McDonald, Tapscott, Howe and Nicholson.

I'm not much worried about what happened out there as the team far from resembled our round 1 lineup, but it was pretty bad

I don't how we manage to struggle so badly with handballing. We were pretty weak again, got murdered at the stoppages, and could not put on any pressure. The forward line had nobody home and Bate and Watts were totally useless. Bate is just a terrible footballer who has to go, so is Stefan Martin, he does not have a clue what he is doing out there. I have always been a huge Jones supporter but Jesus he was awful today, his skills are a disgrace.

I can only give a nod to Jetta, Maric, Warnock and Petterd who was a really potent forward target, the rest of them were garbage

you are never going to look too good missing

Green

Davey

Bartram

Garland

Frawley

Jurrah

Wonaeamirri

Grimes

Morton

McKenzie

Trengove

Edited by Curry & Beer

It's always disappointing to lose to a team like Brisbane who really isn't much of a threat, but clearly with the players we had out we were nowhere near full strength, and thus this form is not indicative of what we expect to see in Round 1.

Having said that, the last two weeks have shown us exactly where we need to improve, and that our depth maybe isn't as strong as what we have been trumpeting over the summer.

Pressure on the ball carrier is, these days, completely non-negotiable, and we don't seem to be at the level that is required. Again, this is only the pre-season, but I'd rather see us putting in the effort than not.

I'm glad we have Hawthorn next week (or, if somehow Collingwood can't beat West Coast, Fremantle). We haven't played a finalist from 2010 yet and hopefully we'll field the best side we have available. Then we'll get a fairer analysis of where we're at.

Glad to hear Tapscott got through his debut. It also seems like Maric is on track for a Round 1 berth, although Jetta might be fighting him for the same position.

Well said, I for one hope it is the Hawks and we have a real decent crack to get ready for the opener.

Good

Jetta - BOG for us, busted his gut and was generally clean. Must play round 1

Sylvia, Maric

Petterd - strong hands, moved well

Warnock not up against much but much better than last week

Tapscott and Gysberts being out there. Tappy showed a bit off half back

Tom McDonald - the young fella played CHB and had a go. Nice speed and tried well. Kicking not horrible (especially with the rest of our backline)

Opportunities for Evans, Cook, Howe (showed a bit), Nicholson

Scully back

Bad

No real plan on show

Watts - kicked 2 nice goals from free kicks but otherwise just didn't attack the ball well enough. I strongly believe he should be trialled in the backline where he can be led to the ball and have to improve physically. Playing him CHF when he team mates don't use him is a complete waste.

Rohan Bail's kicking

Stef Martin

Ugly

Moving the ball from the back half

The lack of movement from the forwards

Bate - same story every week now. Is so hard to watch. Must not play round 1.

Jake Spencer - I've been a long time fan but he's useless. Just doesn't work round the ground at all. So really he's there for his hit outs and despite being a huge [censored] he can't even win most of them.

Just got back from plastic park.

Overall it was disappointing not to win but it was a development squad so I'm not too concerned.

Lots of talent to return . Initially disposal was poor from both sides but we did start well kicking 4 straight.

We lacked clean possession around the stoppages. At times our structures fell down especially the forward line

pushing too far up the ground. We lacked urgency and stagnated from the kick ins allowing Brisbane to set up their

zone. But again it was an experimental squad

Scully: Impressed with his run he gets involved in contests when others would lack the endurance there were times he

was able to follow up 2,3 and 4 contests within short time. Hands are very good awareness to find players with space.

Jones: saw him make a hospital hand ball that put a team mate under pressure. Around the stoppages his size was important.

Nicholson: Did lots of good things today looks like he should get off the rookie list eventually. Decision under pressure

sometimes faulted but the entire side made poor choices today.

Tapscott: Couple of times today he showed real class by foot and he is a penetrating kick.

Rivers: Gave up a goal with poor disposal kicking across goal as soon as he did he knew how bad a decision it was.

Jamar: Strong at the center bounces expect he'll be rested next game worked hard today when he went forward he presented well.

Watts: Kicking for goal was impressive he slotted 2 goals at or near fifty on tough angles. Still gets pushed of the ball easily at

times he was good. Ready to contribute round 1.

Mcdonald: He looks a ready made defender again under pressure he made some poor choices and his disposal let him down. But he has the

size and competes well.

Maric: At the moment he looks our best small forward kicked 3 goals today.

Howe: Went for an awesome hanger late in the last quarter and I'd of paid it. Presented well provided some much needed forward structure

Bail: worked through the midfield today looked really good in patches.

Sylvia: Kicked a goal but thought he went missing in patches worked hard in the stoppages but often he'd take possession and get tied up.

Jetta: Best on I thought worked really hard all day was really good at the stoppages reading the ball off the ruck contest and getting it

moving. Tackled hard and strong looks likely to get a round one game.

Petterd: Really dangerous today he will add another dimension to our forward line this year really strong overhead, Nice game from him today.

Gysberts: Must confess I didn't see a lot of him today he still needs some size very skinny frame.

Edited by Diablo Deemon

I refuse to take this game seriously when half of our side didn't play, including our captain, our 2 best defenders, our best and most productive forward, and arguably our best midfielder in Davey.

Bring on Round 1 already. Pre-season warm up games are a stupid waste of time.

It does my head in that we still have no set kick-in strategies. Even if it was our Defence B team there was no cohesion or tactics that I saw. Just the same rabble of the last few years.

It also took me half an hour to get a beer. Two people serving about 50.

Jetta, Bennell, Maric, Tapscott good.

Bate, Macdonald, Rivers, Jones, pretty lamentable.

Seeing Jake Spencer run was worth the price of admission though.

I was there to watch the boys today,i must say i was pretty disappointed from watching the game,although we were missing 10 regular starters we just couldnt hit our targets and was wasteful all day handballing our teamates in to trouble etc.

we have no forward line at one stage maric was playing at full forward. And we just kick long with no one even in the forward 50, they ran the ball out of defence way to easily when they got us on the rebound. I would say half there score was from our mistakes or created from there back half line.

After saying all that i understand we were missing alot of players and they brang some of there experienced heads in which often showed around the contests.

3 highlights for me today were:

-tapscott- very good thumping kick, could possibly get a start rnd 1 if he continues to show good signs. a tough nut too standing up for teamates and not affraid to have a go. did say he was cramping late in the game, hence why he finished the game off on the bench.

-jetta by far our best on the ground showed a bit of class and got plenty of it. also getting his own contested football. needs to be more consistent,did talk to him after the game and said he was quite sore.

-maric once again made the most of his opportunities and got involved in the game. has to get first crack at our NO1 crumbing role in the team.(IMO)

wouldnt be surprised if we play a pretty weak team next week, if where going to be travelling.

BRING ON RND 1 I SAY WITH A FULL STRENGTH TEAM!!!

Edited by TRENERS #9

Guest 36DD

Good

Jetta - BOG for us, busted his gut and was generally clean. Must play round 1

Sylvia, Maric

Petterd - strong hands, moved well

Warnock not up against much but much better than last week

Tapscott and Gysberts being out there. Tappy showed a bit off half back

Tom McDonald - the young fella played CHB and had a go. Nice speed and tried well. Kicking not horrible (especially with the rest of our backline)

Opportunities for Evans, Cook, Howe (showed a bit), Nicholson

Scully back

Bad

No real plan on show

Watts - kicked 2 nice goals from free kicks but otherwise just didn't attack the ball well enough. I strongly believe he should be trialled in the backline where he can be led to the ball and have to improve physically. Playing him CHF when he team mates don't use him is a complete waste.

Rohan Bail's kicking

Stef Martin

Ugly

Moving the ball from the back half

The lack of movement from the forwards

Bate - same story every week now. Is so hard to watch. Must not play round 1.

Jake Spencer - I've been a long time fan but he's useless. Just doesn't work round the ground at all. So really he's there for his hit outs and despite being a huge [censored] he can't even win most of them.

Move Stef Martin so that he heads up the Ugly list and I reckon you have nailed it, kid seems to have no idea, is it just me or does always seem to just jump in the air at the wrong time with the ball not even near him with his arms and legs flailing. Reckon we should have given him the number 8, Nicho could have presented the jumper to him, passing the baton between two of the most uncoordinated players to ever play for the MFC.

Move Stef Martin so that he heads up the Ugly list and I reckon you have nailed it, kid seems to have no idea, is it just me or does always seem to just jump in the air at the wrong time with the ball not even near him with his arms and legs flailing. Reckon we should have given him the number 8, Nicho could have presented the jumper to him, passing the baton between two of the most uncoordinated players to ever play for the MFC.

I had to only have him at bad because his ruck work wasn't disastrous, somehow he kicked a goal and mainly because we need him in the side at the moment.

However I think he's best chance of being effective is to relieve in the ruck and also play down back. There is no rule saying he has to rest forward and he is a liability there. Where as I think he's good enough defensive to play on most resting ruckmen.

Sounds like the result of a team alot of players under 20 games with at least 4-5 who are yet to play a real AFL game, a couple coming back for their first game, a couple of regulars desperately in need of game time and a dozen doing enought at this time of the year to best prepare for the real stuff.

Need to bring together the A-Team for the last practice match next week so they can properly prepare for the Swans. May still be ugly but it'll be the ugly we have to take to the MCG for the Swans.

Looking forward to getting to the G.

Go Dees.

Edited by PaulRB

Question for those at the game:

1) Where did Jetta play. Someone mentioned Maric and Jetta would be competing for the same spot but it sounds like Jetta played on ball (for some/all of the game. Can someone clarify?

2) I agree we had a second string team, but I have to say, I've barely heard of any of the Vegas players mentioned throughout the game (on this thread). Where was Brisbane's team on the full strength index?

3) Could Tapscott realistically edge out Strauss for Round 1. No offence to Strauss, but he seems to be a confidence player and his confidence is usually about zero.

Comments appreciated

Question for those at the game:

1) Where did Jetta play. Someone mentioned Maric and Jetta would be competing for the same spot but it sounds like Jetta played on ball (for some/all of the game. Can someone clarify?

2) I agree we had a second string team, but I have to say, I've barely heard of any of the Vegas players mentioned throughout the game (on this thread). Where was Brisbane's team on the full strength index?

3) Could Tapscott realistically edge out Strauss for Round 1. No offence to Strauss, but he seems to be a confidence player and his confidence is usually about zero.

Comments appreciated

1. Think it was Wallace that mentioned Maric and Jetta were competing for the same spot. I think he was just going with the indigenous player stereotype (crumbing small forward). He's a lot closer to a midfielder than a forward IMO

2. Brisvegas were pretty strong as far as i could tell. Missing Brown, Banfield (also Fevola, Riscitelli, Brennan and Sherman)

3. Tapscott was awesome. Although probably lacks match fitness. If fit, would be far ahead of Strauss IMO

Edited by IWAP

I almost fell off my seat when I read this http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/luke-power-and-daniel-rich-guide-brisbane-lions-to-win-against-melbourne/story-e6frf9jf-1226016340867

Jones our best? No wonder when I walked past the press box there was an AAP computer sitting there with nobody at it, they're just making this stuff up.

I only saw the 2nd half so I can`t be too judgemental, but despite all the missing players we were very disappointing today. Lots of panicked football and poor decision making, ball coming out of our forwardline with regular ease by McGrath and Power, along with a few no name Lions.

Agree with others that Maric looks ready for Round 1 and will cement his spot in the forwardline (Wonna is a long, long way back right now), Jetta too looks likely and has improved immensely. I thought Ricky P had a real good crack for his first hit out in 10 months, he will be a welcome addition up forward. Tapscott has a superb boot and looks in great nick, certainly will not take any backward steps when he gets his chance in the big league. Nicholson looks like a keeper.

Must admit I feel better after sitting down and noting all the missing players, but I expected a bit more today.