Outstanding Rohan Connolly article

Mono

Outstanding article by Rohan Connolly in the Age. Neatly summarises much of the discussion on these boards since Saturday.

Read it here.

From my point of view, Saturday was 2008 revisited (including the pre-season. Remember the classroom sessions Bailey led to 'teach' the players? :wub: ). Pathetic, beyond belief.

And remember, we are paying 100% of salary cap - front-ending to allow for salary demands in a few years :o . Talk about getting ahead of yourself.

Outstanding article by Rohan Connolly in the Age. Neatly summarises much of the discussion on these boards since Saturday.

Read it here.

From my point of view, Saturday was 2008 revisited (including the pre-season. Remember the classroom sessions Bailey led to 'teach' the players? :wub: ). Pathetic, beyond belief.

And remember, we are paying 100% of salary cap - front-ending to allow for salary demands in a few years :o . Talk about getting ahead of yourself.

lazy article. Should I as a Melbourne fan not be happy that the game did not blow out to the 100 point loss that threatened at half time?

I don't believe there's too much wrong with Connolly's article. We were let down badly by our more experienced players as well as many in the middle tier and, although they have to take responsibility for unacceptable performances, it's up to the coach and the selection committee over the next couple of weeks to indicate to all of us exactly what they think and to set some standards for the year to come.

I don't believe there's too much wrong with Connolly's article. We were let down badly by our more experienced players as well as many in the middle tier and, although they have to take responsibility for unacceptable performances, it's up to the coach and the selection committee over the next couple of weeks to indicate to all of us exactly what they think and to set some standards for the year to come.

Jack I agree, unfortunately in modern footy the ability to "send a message" is dictated by the players available (ie not injured or too undeveloped to play) I also think that at least for one week we need to remember that a few of those blokes were a little underdone.

Bravo. Good article.

If our leaders aren't leading by example and playing with accountability, how exactly can we expect our new players to evolve into league superstars?

Once again, our culture as a club is seeping through, and our undeniable lack of a superstar over the past 40 years has a lot to do with our inability to surround good, talented young players with a winning culture.

We suck as a football club and to be quite honest, I can't see us turning the tide anytime soon. We are risking moving into Richmond mediocrity. The sad thing is that, unlike Richmond that has the fanbase and corporate backing to stay afloat despite years of on-field turmoil, we cannot survive decades in the gutter. This isn't the 70s anymore.

The jumper means nothing anymore. Diddly squat! If the players aren't willing to play for it, I'm not sure I have the energy to support it as aggressively anymore. I left Saturday at half-time feeling utterly dejected. Not angry, but dejected. And disappointed. I just don't know how I feel about this club anymore.

I also think that at least for one week we need to remember that a few of those blokes were a little underdone.

Absolutely. Connolly mentions Davey and Bruce, but they've both had limited pre-season game time because of injuries. As has Bate. And it shows.

Something to remember for everyone wanting to rush Garland, Watts, Wonna etc. back into the side.

B

Cynically, it may be the best way to cope with the inevitable thuimping coming this week. Drop a few bigger names, make some public statements about standards, get some kids in who have a go (even if they cannot cut it) and then defend the massive loss by saying that we'd prefer to play blokes that care about the jumper than blokes who care about their image.

Quitely reverse this trend by week 4, get a win and hope that Morton, jurrah, bell, watts, wonna, garland are all ready by round 8-10.

Rohan has been a great footy journo for a lot of years now. Although a bomber fan, he has written many very positive articles on the Demons going back to the Balme era. He has a soft spot for the Demons. It's good that he's bothered to write something like this - shows that we are still relevant in some writers' minds. And he is absolutely spot on. Underdone or not, the lack of effort of some of our senior players on Saturday was disgraceful.

Bravo. Good article.

The jumper means nothing anymore. Diddly squat! If the players aren't willing to play for it, I'm not sure I have the energy to support it as aggressively anymore. I left Saturday at half-time feeling utterly dejected. Not angry, but dejected. And disappointed. I just don't know how I feel about this club anymore.

I'm starting to feel exactly the same way!!!

And when will the club relise that they will loose a large amount of supporters again and again when the players continually play this way. What young kid who's starting to get into footy would want to support a club that keeps getting thrashed weeek in week out.

Never, ever, ever leave a game before it's finished.

Inexcusable, weakest thing a supporter can ever do.

Hang your heads.

If the players arent going to play with pride and put in the minimum effort we expect then why should we pay them the respect of staying and watching the rubbish they serve up. No one expect us to be world beaters but we expect minimum effort, intensity and professionalism. I have no issue with supporters leaving early from a game like Saturdays.

I suppose you expect people to also clap the players off the field after such a weak effort? We as supporters are not here to soley serve the players, we deserve some respect in return for our emotional and monetary contributions.

If the players arent going to play with pride and put in the minimum effort we expect then why should we pay them the respect of staying and watching the rubbish they serve up. No one expect us to be world beaters but we expect minimum effort, intensity and professionalism. I have no issue with supporters leaving early from a game like Saturdays.

I suppose you expect people to also clap the players off the field after such a weak effort? We as supporters are not here to soley serve the players, we deserve some respect in return for our emotional and monetary contributions.

But we did play with more endeavour and we drew the second half, so doesn't that shoot down your argument?

The other thing is, I actually think the media and some supporters have it wrong re saying we didn't demonstrate endeavour. We got 6 holding the balls and our tackling was good. To me that's the best sign of endeavour. I don't even think manning up was a massive issue (although granted we had a "zoning" rather than man-on-man game plan). We simply executed skills poorly, had a poor game plan, lost confidence and played a more seasoned, better drilled and hungry side.

Hang your heads.

As I said on another thread, we pay, they get paid. You might'n think so, but it is becoming increasingly obvious, there is a life outside football. And therein lies the danger of the MFC alienating its membership base, by putting in such insipid performances. I have been there for 40+ years, but enough is enough.

Hang your heads.

lol posts like these make me laugh.

I pay my membership fees, I haven't missed a game in Melbourne in over 10 years, and I donated to Debt Demolition. I'm only 23 and with a mortgage, and yet I still dedicate my time and money to the club. If me leaving at half-time of an insipid performance is "weak", then whatever. At the end of the day, I probably dedicate more time and money to this club than you, and I have a right to walk out on a performance I've invested so much into.

Support goes beyond just being there on game day. I have done more than enough for this club to justify walking out at half-time of a performance more suited to a third-grade suburban football league.

They were a disgrace on Saturday, and I merely walked out on a bad performance.

I'll be there against Collingwood. I don't like walking out early, but if the performance is bad enough to make me angry that I didn't spend my day doing something productive, then I go without hesitation. I spend upwards of $50 at every game, and on top of my membership, that's a lot of cash pumped into the gameday considering my salary. I'm not asking for sympathy, but I get offended when I'm called a weak supporter. It's an insult, and the only people worth insulting are the players. Me walking out at half-time is as insulting as you can get, and they deserved it.

Edited by calabreseboy

I’m with Inner Demon on this one.

Yes, the team’s performance on Saturday failed miserably to live up to our expectations. It was, indeed, a bitter disappointment. But, to imply our boys did not put in “minimum effort, intensity and professionalism” is not fair on the boys. Certainly, they did not match it with the superior Hawthorn outfit. But, I have no doubt they all put in the best they could. That wasn’t good enough. We expected better. And, I have every confidence they WILL get better. I also have every confidence that any player who deserves a good kick up the rear will receive it.

In spite of the disappointment, I refuse to join the ranks of the “sooks” who can’t stand the bad bits. Unfortunately, life (and footy included) chucks up both the good and the bad. In my close to 57 years of following the Mighty Dees, there have been a whole lot more bads than goods.

But, I have NEVER walked out on the team before the final siren. In fact, living most of my life away from Melbourne, I’ve had few opportunities to attend a live match. And some of those I have been able to get to have been very sad occasions. But, I never remotely thought about leaving early. I also have never turned off the TV before the end of a game.

I support the Might Dees through thick and thin. Always have. Always will.

So, yes, the sun rose again this morning. And, in a few days another challenge awaits our beloved Dees. In fact, it’s the old foe, Collingwood. I have every confidence the team will rise to the occasion. And, I expect us to win. (Yes, I expect the Dees to win EVERY game, no matter how bad they have been performing in the previous games. That’s just the way I am…)

Sorry about this. It’s just the ramblings of an old, sentimental fool (albeit a passionate Dees supporting old fool!)

GO DEES!!!!!

Outstanding article?

Lazy journalism - find out the response favoured by the majority of excitable and overemotional supporters and fervently support their view.

Connolly is just playing to the crowd.

KS, I didn't know you were a journo. What media outlet do you report for?

Cynically, it may be the best way to cope with the inevitable thuimping coming this week. Drop a few bigger names, make some public statements about standards, get some kids in who have a go (even if they cannot cut it) and then defend the massive loss by saying that we'd prefer to play blokes that care about the jumper than blokes who care about their image.

Quitely reverse this trend by week 4, get a win and hope that Morton, jurrah, bell, watts, wonna, garland are all ready by round 8-10.

That would be an outstanding way to deal with what happened on Saturday IMO.

I would love to see Bailey and co. drop some underperforming senior players, who are not helping our cause anyways.

Bruce and Miller will be top of the list, but I wouldn't be upset if Davey, Bate and Moloney were dropped either. We can't keep accepting the shocking performances that our senior leaders put in every week. It is completely unacceptable, and worse of all, it is teaching the younger players that there are no consequences for not playing as hard as you can.

If ever you were going to make a statement, now is the time.

It's not possible that the only players leading from the front on Saturday were those with less than 50 games under their belt... in most cases, less than 10!

Outstanding article?

Lazy journalism - find out the response favoured by the majority of excitable and overemotional supporters and fervently support their view.

Connolly is just playing to the crowd.

You ought to try dropping the 'I'm holier than thou' approach to posting KS.

It seems to me that you're more concerned with pointing out why your opinion is more correct than others'.

So you believe we're OK, or at least not in as bad shape as others. Fine. But stop telling people that you, and those like you, are correct, and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, pessimistic, or pandering to the masses.

Connolly's article, if nothing else, at least directs some pressure at the club. Pressure that hadn't been applied previously.

I particularly like this quote:

The danger in doing so is of creating a climate so completely geared towards a still-distant future that it forgives too easily the insipid dross Demon fans were served up.

It seems to me that, both at the club, and on this site, too many people have it ingrained in their minds that the future will be a certain success, and thus the present is of no concern. I disagree.

It seems to me that, both at the club, and on this site, too many people have it ingrained in their minds that the future will be a certain success, and thus the present is of no concern. I disagree.

I agree with this. It takes alot more than just a few 1st round picks to get there. Alot of sweat, hard work and tears must occur for success.

However, before the season started I was expecting losses such as the loss against Hawthorn, given the list. It's a no brainer.