The first injury list for 2010

alpha33

The middle page spread of the Sunday Age sports section contains an injury list of sorts for each of the clubs. I'm certain its not comprehensive but perhaps we can use it as a basis to determine the true health of our list. I've got them down in alphabetical order:-

Matthew Bate (foot) -

Sam Blease (leg) -

Colin Garland (foot) -

Paul Johnson (foot) -

John Meesen (foot) -

Austin Wonaeamirri (hamstring) -

Those are the players listed in the article as being on modified programmes but just off the top of my head I would add that Mark Jamar and newcomer Max Gawn (recovering from ACL op) should also be on the list although it has been mentioned that Jamar is due to resume full training this week. Not 100% sure about this but I think his problem was also the foot.

We seem to have struck the jackpot with foot issues. Only two other AFL clubs have players listed with foot injuries and they have one case each: Fremantle (Ryan Crowley) and North Melbourne (Ben Cunnington). Co-incidence or a real cause for concern?

We seem to have struck the jackpot with foot issues. Only two other AFL clubs have players listed with foot injuries and they have one case each: Fremantle (Ryan Crowley) and North Melbourne (Ben Cunnington). Co-incidence or a real cause for concern?

Knowing how career threatening such injuries can be maybe we are being more proactive at identifying and addressing foot injuries than other clubs. It appears now any sign of a hot spot or soreness we are acrting upon it.

Knowing how career threatening such injuries can be maybe we are being more proactive at identifying and addressing foot injuries than other clubs. It appears now any sign of a hot spot or soreness we are acrting upon it.

Hope you are right.

Coincidence. Not much can be done now, other than putting them all in cotton wool and telling them no training or no intra club. But that would be robbing them all of a valuable pre-season. I think for all the dooms-dayers out there regarding the injury list - which isn't that bad I might add - it is more or less a case of "suck it up princess", because sh!t happens.

Coincidence. Not much can be done now, other than putting them all in cotton wool and telling them no training or no intra club. But that would be robbing them all of a valuable pre-season. I think for all the dooms-dayers out there regarding the injury list - which isn't that bad I might add - it is more or less a case of "suck it up princess", because sh!t happens.

Very fair comment-however getting sick of the recurrent foot injury and hamstrings.I am no Doctor but we may have to send Wona & Davey to Germany for treatment similar to Rooke etc...

Very fair comment-however getting sick of the recurrent foot injury and hamstrings.I am no Doctor but we may have to send Wona & Davey to Germany for treatment similar to Rooke etc...
On what basis ? Isn't Wona recovering well and on a modified programme ? We're still in the midst of Summer and our medical staff and resources should be sufficient for the players injury diagnosis.

Never seen a club have an injury free pre season ever

One of the reasons Utility players like Martin are so important to a teams list

We should have more and in fact we do as i consider Jurrah a Utilty albeit in the attacking part of the ground

Be concerned sure but the finger pointing isnt the answer

Every season the club does a review and as long as its happy with the staff we have then so should we all

There are quite a few knee injuries listed, but none at Melbourne. Could this be.... something meaningful?

Or just.... coincidence?

The middle page spread of the Sunday Age sports section contains an injury list of sorts for each of the clubs. I'm certain its not comprehensive but perhaps we can use it as a basis to determine the true health of our list. I've got them down in alphabetical order:-

Matthew Bate (foot) -

Sam Blease (leg) -

Colin Garland (foot) -

Paul Johnson (foot) -

John Meesen (foot) -

Austin Wonaeamirri (hamstring) -

Those are the players listed in the article as being on modified programmes but just off the top of my head I would add that Mark Jamar and newcomer Max Gawn (recovering from ACL op) should also be on the list although it has been mentioned that Jamar is due to resume full training this week. Not 100% sure about this but I think his problem was also the foot.

Whilst I have been as annoyed as anyone with our injury run over the last 3 years, let`s put this list into perspective and how it would effect our team structure for Round 1 considering their 2009 form-

Bate - Would be a huge loss if not available by Round 1 but he has 8 weeks to be ready.

Blease - Never played

Garland - Absolute key player however missed practically the whole season but is well on the road back

Johnson - No impact at all in 2009

Meeson - 3 games of footy in 09 and is now a rookie

Wonna - Missed the whole season of 09

If this is our complete injury list we are in pretty good shape for Round 1. The only real concern is our lack of ruck stocks, all other players have ready made replacements bar Bate!

Bate - Would be a huge loss if not available by Round 1 but he has 8 weeks to be ready.

Blease - Never played

Garland - Absolute key player however missed practically the whole season but is well on the road back

Johnson - No impact at all in 2009

Meeson - 3 games of footy in 09 and is now a rookie

Wonna - Missed the whole season of 09

If this is our complete injury list we are in pretty good shape for Round 1. The only real concern is our lack of ruck stocks, all other players have ready made replacements bar Bate!

Very sensibly said, HB; puts things into proportion. Truth is it'll be a BONUS if Garland and Wona come back this season and play well. Meesen is lucky to be on the rookie list after the club made a very generous promise to him and that schmuck Newton; most supporters would have preferred to rookie some young fellows with a touch of excitement about them. Johnson's ability has been subjected to much dissection on this site and others and wouldn't be in anyone's best 22, 23 or 28 I don't think. But, of course, if your ruck stocks are thin... you use stick rucks.

I caught up with an old mate yesterday who now works at Mfc, he told me you can add Cam Bruce (hamstring) to the list...maybe chronic.

And on a brighter note I heard that Sylvia and Jamie Bennell have been the most impressive at training, he reckons Bennell has heaps of class and the pace to run away from other players...watch for him this year!

I caught up with an old mate yesterday who now works at Mfc, he told me you can add Cam Bruce (hamstring) to the list...maybe chronic.

I am predicting Cam Bruce to spend less time in the middle of the field this year and a bit more time floating around up forward (injuries depending)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Matthew Bate (quad) - strained quad on returning to training after a foot injury

Sam Blease (leg) - increasing workload after surgery last year 

Cameron Bruce (hamstring) - minor hamstring strain

Colin Garland (foot) - rejoined training last week

Max Gawn (knee) - increasing workload after surgery last year 

Paul Johnson (foot) - about to start running after foot surgery 

John Meesen (foot) - increasing workload after surgery last year 

Luke Tapscott (family bereavement) - available 

Jack Watts (quad) - hopes to return soon 

Austin Wonaeamirri (hamstring) - increasing workload after surgery last year 

There's also a concern about Aaron Davey who played the first half only and appeared to be limping after the game.

Johnson and Meesen are in serious trouble if they can't get on the track. Last chance for both boys I would think.

From all reports, Blease seems to be making some good progress and could be ready for the Scorps round one.

Looking forward to seeing Jack get fit and play down forward. Looks like he has added a few KGs and could be ready to challenge for a permanent spot. Hopefully this quad doesn't hamper him too much.

Update:

Matthew Bate (quad) - strained quad on returning to training after a foot injury

There's also a concern about Aaron Davey who played the first half only and appeared to be limping after the game.

Seems like a team gearing up for round one of the real stuff !!

Update:

In reality we will only 4 of them will be missed for round 1. Fingers crossed they don't start dropping like flies during the NAB as they have in previous years

Source..?

Tapscott hasn't joined in general training for a few week now and was mainly walking around the boundary yesterday. He did go back to SA last week because of his grandmother's passing but, on coming back, is clearly not right and the word going round Casey Fields yesterday (as mentioned on both Demonland and Demonology (see the training threads) is that he needs surgery on his hip but that it's not major surgery. There's been no word at all from the club on this but that's nor unusual with the MFC and the notification of injuries to players.

Meanwhile, here's the club's injury list. It's supposed to be official FWIW:

Matthew Bate (quad) 3 weeks

Sam Blease (ankle) 4 to 5 weeks

Cameron Bruce (hamstring) 2 weeks

Colin Garland (foot) 3 to 4 weeks

Max Gawn (knee) Indefinite

Paul Johnson (foot) 6 to 8 weeks

John Meesen ® (ankle) Indefinite

Jack Watts (back) 3 to 4 weeks

Austin Wonaeamirri (hamstring) 2 to 3 weeks

Luke Tapscott not mentioned.

On what basis ? Isn't Wona recovering well and on a modified programme ? We're still in the midst of Summer and our medical staff and resources should be sufficient for the players injury diagnosis.

Agree.

I am not sure our disposition is that unusual against other Clubs.

From my understanding Davey's is a slight strain/tear. Being couped up in a plane for 16 hours is surely going to make it worse before it gets better.