Any news on Flash?

dreamin' man

I also think Davey does not deserve a 4 year deal,

what I meant was as a player, you see your mates getting tipped out Robbo, Yze, White, Whelan etc (whether we think it's the right thing or not) and if that player thinks that's a bit unfair, [censored] etc well it just might change his thoughts on loyalty and make him (them) think that the club is not going to be loyal to them when they get to 29+ (which a 3 year deal takes him too)

Well apparently it's all over now, and apparently he IS worth 4 years :lol:

And any semi-intelligent footballer understands why the guys you mentioned had to go. They also look at Junior and in the past Neita, and see that, if a player is still valuable he stays, regardless of age. If we kept Robbo, Whelan and Wheatley, we would have been forced to delist younger players, because you have to clear a minimum number of spots. Would that have made our young team any happier?

Besides, the club at the moment is at a very different place to where we hope it'll be in 3/4 years time. If you're pushing for a flag, you tend to keep quality experienced players, if you're on the bottom and looking at a 6 year rebuild, you don't.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news i dont think people should be worrying about the term of his contract. We should be jumping up woth joy. Hopefully he has a cracker of a year. In the articles i have been reading it was good to see that he is training STILL with his old club the palmerston magpies.

Edited by Clanger King

all ways goin 2 happen, if you look at CS twitter he said something along the lines of, "lots of messages on Flash Patience my friends"

clearly was going to happen.

and also he said latter on, he said somthing like "Trengrove played a very good game " clearly showing we will take him pick 2

just got a text from jim stynes

davey has re-signed for 4 years.

I just go the same text - as no doubt have many others.

Great news on a number of fronts. While we can argue the length of the contract - 4 years is a bit (or very) excessive for this day and age, he is at, or near his peak and is looking to shore up some stability for his family and footballing future. He is playing great football, has been pretty resilient injury wise over the past couple of seasons, and is a leader of the club.

More than that, he is the mentor to our young indigenous group, with more likely to join in the coming years, and he will set a club loyalty benchmark for them with the signing of this contract. It will not only demonstrate loyalty, it will also publicly display to them and to the football world that he feels the club is heading in the right direction.

As has been said on these boards, his role at the club goes well beyond the playing field, and if the worst happens and he sustains long term injuries, then his off-field role will become even more important, even to the point of helping further identify burgeoning aboriginal talent, that Bailey and the club are obviously keen to explore.

He has already helped bring in Pearce Liddle (sp?) from the NT, who we could rookie in the coming drafts and there are sure to be others to follow.

Is four years too long? Maybe, but unlike pretty much any other player we could have signed to a four year deal, his is one of cultural significance - and this fact probably shouldn't be under-estimated.

I read an artical on Fox Sports were Aaron stated his family was the main key to any decision, you are at this level for a short period of your life, Aaron now has stability, stable income, home for 4 years. I wonder if Frog is out of contract next year?

davey you no good money grabbing non top 40 in AFL, only 6 brownlow vote getting, holding the club to ransom, dodgy hamstring ,ungrateful, over the hill ,only one good season, soft, only gets cheap possessions , won't be around when we win our next premiership hack

what's that you say? signed a 4 year deal to stay at the demons

Aaron Davey I love you you are one of the best players in the league :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Is four years too long? Maybe, but unlike pretty much any other player we could have signed to a four year deal, his is one of cultural significance - and this fact probably shouldn't be under-estimated.

Nice work, KD.

Congrats to the club on getting pen to paper on this one. Another big name going would have been damaging. I do feel for the club on this one. I imagine they've overpayed for him and they've certainly given him a year more than I'd have liked. These additional factors you've mentioned have certainly played a part, as has the potential for disastrous PR with another fan-favourite bolting. As youami mentioned, I hope its very much a front-ended contract.

I dont care if we lose anyone else now. Saying that who haven't we signed? I know we have signed Grimes Morton Syliva Wona Maric Martin Davey

Edited by Clanger King

Aaron held all the cards in this negotiation.

Had his best season, his laser left foot was consistently highlighted in the media, and he has shown a great deal of leadership around the club.

4 years doesn't worry me.

Keeping the younger players interested with shorter deals is a good idea but AD has been very consistent (despite the tripe in this thread) and was fantastic in his first full season in the middle in 09.

I will back him to put in a very solid 4 years of service.

2013 will be his tenth season, so he will not qualify for the VL until the next year. However, if his contract is frontloaded, and I trust it is, then his salary will be managable for 2012 and 2013.

'Pello' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:41 PM' post='274209']

.................... We are a club that is fast developing a reputation of prematurely moving on players that have been loyal servants of our club. ..............................

What? I see it more as we are fast developing a reputation for having the 'Grinters' to move players on when have reached their 'use by date'.

Excellent news!

Frog is out of contract next year. It is a well known fact that the two Davey brothers are desperate to play together. I understand Melbourne will now make a play for Frog this year and if that fails will go again next year when his contract is complete.

Now lets put our logic cap on. Say you are Essendon and you know how desperately these guys want to play together. If you are Essendon when Melbourne approaches in regards to Frog do you:

a: dismiss the approach and back yourself to resign Frog next year when Melbourne will not have the run of the mill as far as picks etc.

b: take the conservative road. Except that there is a high likelihood that Aaron will try and push Frog to Melbourne at the end of next season when his contract is up. At that time Melbourne will not have the riches to offer Essendon due to GC. Thus it is in Essendon's interest to deal this year.

The pendulum has swung in our direction. Don't be surprised if Frog is a Dee next year. Now we have signed Aaron to 4 years it would be in Essendon's best interest.

Edited by Grand New Flag