• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brock McLean has left the building

Yencks

Good bye Brock. You have been my fave since you got drafted. It's a sad day to see you go.

I always held out hope that you were going to live up to the expectations. you still might. and that will be very hard for me to watch.

Im afraid I don't have this blind love for the club like everyone else seems to. Its players like yourself, Robbo, Woey and Whelan who made me really fall in love for the team. Not the club itself.

I wish the best for yourself as a player, and most of me would really love to see you justify yourself as a big name like myself and a lot of other people on here have been saying you could be. But anpther part of me hopes, that you end up never reaching your full potential and we end up looking like the winners out of this deal, because it hurts pretty bad for it to end up any other way.

I remeber Caro saying that some of the melbourne players were really upset by the way the melbourne coaching were clearly tanking and can't help thinking this was the fall out from it all.

Edited by Davis333

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very p!ssed at the notion melbourne is expecting sucess in 6yrs time. i'm expecting melbourne to start climbing off the ladder next year...i hope melb can be playing in the finals within 2-3yrs. And win a flag within 6yrs...so our window to really be 3-6yrs time...am i totally off the mark here?

i'm thinking...please let me know if you think i'm being to hard on these young players...we are now going to have 4 top 18picks...in there first year i hope they play 5games, 2nd year play 15games, and 3rd year to play 20games...that is 40games...is that not enough development?

Guest hangon007

Congratulations to the Melbourne Football Club for securing another top twenty draft pick in the 2009 draft ... very exciting times ahead!

I personally look forward to another young player joining our list & with great anticipation eagerly look forward to supporting them for many years to come.

I would also like to wish Brock all the best at his new club & thank him for his service to the Melbourne Football Club.

Go Dees

But most here don't want to see that happen, so are we 4-6 years away when it suits us to justify the rebuilding and tanking, or are we 3 years away when we want to retain someone like Davey or lure a Burgoyne?

I said at the beginning of this year that we were 5-7 years away from a flag. As of preseason next year it will be 4-6 years. This mirrors the view of the MFC, which pleases me. They know exactly where we're at even if some supporters don't. This will ensure that the club makes the right decisions about the playing list. The club saying 4-6 years doesn't mean that they think that we won't be playing Finals well before then, just unlikely to win the only thing that matters - a flag.

Fwiw - 2010 7-9 wins

2011 - 10-12 wins

2012 - Finals

2013 + Finals and premiership mode i.e. "4-6"

Also, I reckon McLean rightly read the writing on the wall. The club asked him to take a paycut. He sees that it's likely we'll get two gun mids with pick 1 and 2. He's no longer a genuine chance to captain the club. He decides on a fresh start.

Happy times.

Well I think I picked the worst 2 days to be away from a computer. It's taken 15 minutes to just peruse the 11 pages of this thread.

We've received 'due compensation' (and Carlton have paid over market value IMO, but that's another topic altogether), and it has all been arranged lightning quick without any drawn out period of 'faffing' that usually comes with these deals. I think both clubs deserve a pat on the back for that as well. Overall, I'm as happy as is possible with how this has turned out under the circumstances.

Agree. As a stand alone incident, we have done pretty well. Brock wanted a new start, we get another top 20 draft pick.

The issue I have is with the rumours of Davey wanting out as well. Add to that McLean's reported reasons for leaving (dissatisfaction with Bailey, game plan, overall direction of club) and the way CJ left last year (again dissatisfied) and I'm a little concerned. Yes,we did what was best for the club this year, and the draft picks we have will hopefully set us up nicely. I'm just beginning to worry a little bit about the playing group and whether or not all is well amongst our players given the year they have had to deal with. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that players were upset with Bailey and the FD over the whole tanking issue.

The club saying 4-6 years doesn't mean that they think that we won't be playing Finals well before then, just unlikely to win the only thing that matters - a flag.

It's this that people don't understand.

When the club says 'success' they mean a September WIN to end the season.

Some on here think that 'success' is making the finals and getting beaten by Freo...

Making the finals next year is a little harder, winning the flag in 5 years time is a little easier.

I'm very p!ssed at the notion melbourne is expecting sucess in 6yrs time. i'm expecting melbourne to start climbing off the ladder next year...i hope melb can be playing in the finals within 2-3yrs. And win a flag within 6yrs...so our window to really be 3-6yrs time...am i totally off the mark here?

i'm thinking...please let me know if you think i'm being to hard on these young players...we are now going to have 4 top 18picks...in there first year i hope they play 5games, 2nd year play 15games, and 3rd year to play 20games...that is 40games...is that not enough development?

When Melbourne say success they mean a flag, not finals. They said 4-6 years which is close to your mark of 3-6 years lol.

That does NOT mean we won't make the finals in 2-3 years time. They are just being realistic and saying we are a REAL genuine chance in 4-6 years (to win a flag).

Edited by Mr Morton

I said at the beginning of this year that we were 5-7 years away from a flag. As of preseason next year it will be 4-6 years. This mirrors the view of the MFC, which pleases me. They know exactly where we're at even if some supporters don't. This will ensure that the club makes the right decisions about the playing list. The club saying 4-6 years doesn't mean that they think that we won't be playing Finals well before then, just unlikely to win the only thing that matters - a flag.

Fwiw - 2010 7-9 wins

2011 - 10-12 wins

2012 - Finals

2013 + Finals and premiership mode i.e. "4-6"

Also, I reckon McLean rightly read the writing on the wall. The club asked him to take a paycut. He sees that it's likely we'll get two gun mids with pick 1 and 2. He's no longer a genuine chance to captain the club. He decides on a fresh start.

Happy times.

That's fine, we've waited 40+ years, what's another 6?

But then why pursue Lake or Burgoyne? It conflicts with our clock position.

That's fine, we've waited 40+ years, what's another 6?

But then why pursue Lake or Burgoyne? It conflicts with our clock position.

Why not ? We'd like to make a prelim in 3/4 years time to help ensure a flag in 4+ years. Why wouldn't you want 80 games out of a Burgoyne or Lake ? Especially when you get them for nothing in the PSD.

Why, because I'm questioning the conflicting decisions of tanking, getting rid of senior players and then inquiring about a 27 year old?

Ffs I didn't realise we weren't allowed to question anything the club does. Maybe they tell those they want to push out that we're 6 years away and those they want to keep that we could win one in 3?

Nothing wrong with questioning the decisions of the club, particularly when one is a member.

Why, because I'm questioning the conflicting decisions of tanking, getting rid of senior players and then inquiring about a 27 year old?

Ffs I didn't realise we weren't allowed to question anything the club does. Maybe they tell those they want to push out that we're 6 years away and those they want to keep that we could win one in 3?

I say again Frogshit.... show me where you posted that in your argument. Have I berated you for having an opinion - You don't like the decision, and resent it, and that's the crux of the matter. Don't dress up your opinions as facts and expect others to swallow them. Your analogy with Richmond and your criticisms of pushing success further away are pure hysteria.

Hello fellow demons,

Long time lurker first time poster have supported the club since I was 3 years old still waiting for the day I see a flag. Got my hopes up in 2000 even though I knew we were the second best team it didn't help when the game ended. Hoping to contribute and passionately discuss the greatest football club in the world.

Brock leaving is a shock he always seemed like one of the most dedicated melbourne players we have.

But if this reflects anything there's no sentiment in footy.

I'm pisssed with DB one of our franchise players has left and he hasn't been heard from. Brock made appearances on the Footy show, One Week at a Time and was looking like a potential spokesman/frontman for our club going forward.

Why doesn't Mclean fit in our future plans anymore in terms of the clubs perspective. I know his slow, injury prone and not the most skilled. But what's the clubs reason for letting him go.

Don't give me he wanted to leave somethings gone down and is the club going to repay the donations he's made.

DB front the press, tell us what's going on, how the rebuild is effected, why Mclean left, what we'll look to get in the draft with 11 and give us some reassurance.

Just heard an excert on SEN of Brock being door stopped at Carltscum sounded quite emotional.

True. I've seen a lot of posts slamming the ND years because we didn't get rid of club favourites that were good but not great. Maybe this is what we need to do. I think everybody needs to calm down a bit and see how it plays out. Brock hasn't played hardball with us, we have got pretty good compensation and it seems like everyone has parted happily so I think we should wait and see what the real story is and what we do with the pick we have.

This is it.

People have screamed for the club to be ruthless and this is it. Ruthless.

It would've been a tough call to make as Brock was a pick 5, a good player and a fan favourite but the easy decision was to sit on our hands and hope to hell Mclean, Jones and Moloney would work.

How 3 tough but slowish mids could work, might work, it won't work. Make the call. Sell.

The boys left for Bali today I'm pretty sure so that obviously means Brock misses out on the big end of season trip if he's down having a fitness test at Princes Park? I want the full story!

Will Hutchy bother with it tonight on the Footy Show if it's the finale?

Why doesn't Mclean fit in our future plans anymore in terms of the clubs perspective. I know his slow, injury prone and not the most skilled. But what's the clubs reason for letting him go.

the FD have probably done some serious planning and have developed what they believe is to be a "premiership blue print". In order to complete this "blue print" the tough decisions need to be made, and unfortuneately mclean had to go. if you look at our current list and include picks 1 & 2 and then come up with your best 22 for 2013, you would have trouble putting mclean in there. The FD want to develop the best possible list they can and "slow, injury prone and not the most skilled" are not apart of it.

also good luck to brock, hope he can find some success, but of course not against the MFC.

Edited by chief demon

Will Hutchy bother with it tonight on the Footy Show if it's the finale?

He sure will, Scum McClean is a Carlton boy now, unprecadented press coming his way...

I want him to go on the footy trip though, at all costs (nothing would be better then him going and making fevlike fool of himself now

good start ...

I'm really going to miss Brock McLean. :(

He gave his heart and soul to the Demons. And even gave us a large amount of his own money for the Debt Demolition.

He was one of my favourite players....and I really thought he was going to be a future captain at the MFC.

Anyways, I realise that in the long-run this decision will be the best one for both Brock McLean and the MFC.

I wish Brock all the best for the future with Carlton (just not against the Demons).

We'll miss you Chooka!

Yeah he did not sound like someone who was really happy to be in this position, I think he was pushed.

I reckon it went like this:

1. Brock was offered a new contract on less money, and told his position was not guaranteed.

2. His manager flew the flag, looking for interest

3. To their surprise, they got a big hit, quickly

4. Had to make a decison quickly

5. He's probably a bit shell shocked now

No need for anyone here to bag him, or call him a traitor. He was not shown the door, but was told his position wasn't guaranteed. we don't know the $'s he's on, but it may well not be more than we offered.

He is no star, but is a hard-nut, 23 yr old mid fielder who has played nearly 100 game. Could be a good fit for carlton. And hell, who wouldn't want to play with Judd, Murphy and Gibbs in the mid-field!

Good luck to him

I don't understand that logic.

He was offered less money, so looked around for another club that wasn't offering more than us?

He didn't want to play for the Red and Blue, he now becomes one of "them"