Paul Wheatley Mathew Whelan and Russell Robertson

Carn dees

Certainly is the end of an era. Now only Junior, Bruce and Green are left from the 2000 side. Scary to think how fast time goes by, unfortunately without success.

The gravity of this all, however much expected it was, is taking some time to settle in for me. Many many thanks must go to these three for their contribution to our great club over the last decade. Will always remember them so fondly, especially Robbo, whose number i had on the back of my jumper for many years. A favorite of mine since i first saw him, wearing number 42 in the reserves way back in 1997.

Wrecker will always be remembered for his toughness and hardness. Not a huge fella, but packed a mean punch. And Wheaters, what a huge right boot! The NFL awaits for him u'd think...

Pity not all three of them are named this week, would have been a tremendous occasion and almost certainly a win for the boys.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheatley never played well in big games? Rubbish! I recall a match in, perhaps 2006, against Essendon when Hird starred for about 20 minutes until Wheats was put onto him. Thereafter Hird's influence minimal and W kicked a goal himself from the HBF. On the way home we heard Hird say W was one of the hardest opponents around.

When we had a pretty good team, and we did play 2 rounds of finals in 2006, he was a bloody good player. Last year, admittedly a shocker for the club, he was 3rd in the Bluey was he not?

His season never got under way this year. I'd like him to play on another year. Young players benefit by playing, early in their career, alongside fellows such as Wheatley.

He doesn't have a single, serious chronic injury does he?

2006 we were knocked out of the Finals in the second week by the Fremantle Shockers. I don't consider that a satisfying year.

Sorry i am a hard marker.

Wheats had the ability but just couldn't match it with the elite when it really counted.

He had a big heart though i am not questioning that.

Wheats is more remembered in the pre season games than in the reguliar 22.

The Danniher era is almost gone...

1 moment about each of these blokes....

Robbo- Tweaker of the century vs Essendon to play finals in 04

What about 2 weeks before when he single-handedly dragged us over the line against Geelong to end our 7? game losing streak and keep our finals chances alive. He was amazing in that game, even the geelong supporters around me were in awe (unbelievably didn't get 3 votes in brownlow - never has a player been more robbed of votes!)

And wrecker...my all-time fave (...im in my early 20s). I knew this was coming but it's still really sad. Let's hope he can get fit for rounds 21 and 22 and they can chair him off in his 150th. Going to the footy isn't going to be the same without him :(

Edited by godees

I'm interested to know why so many posts have been edited / deleted by moderators on this thread.

Just because players are soon to retire does not make them sacred cows.

Its unfortunate that these guys have had to end their careers earlier than they would like, but thats AFL football for you.

All the best in their future endeavours.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Enforcer25

Very sad but inevitable.

Robbo has given us so many highlights and thrilled us all on many occasions. We should all turn up to give him a great farewell. He loves this club so much.

Wheels - you give your all every time you play. Unfortunately your body has let you down on many occasions. I have enjoyed watching you for the past 10 years. You are such a quiet acheiver who goes about your business without any fuss - unlike Robbo. The club MUST give you those 2 games to reach your 150 & we must all go along to thank you.

Wheats has done well on may occasions and has thrilled us all with his long kicks.

Well done all of you.

:wub:

No word on McDonald's future?

Unless he's unable or unwilling to go on, he will stay due to being on the veteran's list.

Although MFC could probably use the money...

With these three gone it certainly feels like an era is coming to a close.

Despite some flaws I quite liked Wheatley, but he never quite got to the level I'd have liked him to. He never seemed strong enough in the contest to play down back on medium-talls and I always wanted to see him on a wing. Under DB we we released him further up the ground and I thought it better suited his strengths, allowing him to play some decent footy.

I'll certainly miss seeing Wheels play! I always felt he was underrated by 'the footy public' and it's a shame he - like Wheatley - had a number of soft-tissue injuries. I'm really hoping to see him make that 150 milestone and still can't fathom how he didn't make the list of 150 heroes!

Robertson, like Yze and White, is a player who has copped some flak in his declining years which has IMO warped the perception of his career as a whole. For his size he's done a great job playing as a key tall for us and I wonder how dangerous he would have been if he'd been allowed to play as a third tall (something I'm hoping Jurrah can do). Even in recent years Robertson would have kicked many [more] goals had we been able to kick out in front of his leads, rather than spraying them above his head and allowing the taller opponents to easily spoil.

I'm interested to know why so many posts have been edited / deleted by moderators on this thread.

For what it's worth, I agree.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I'm glad 2 of those players are finishing their careers and one spent a long time dogging it before getting the tap on the shoulder.

'

C'mon. Some respect please. Would you go to a funeral of a mate and then halfway through the eulogy call out "That bastard owed me $50 bucks"?

I'm never going to the football ever again.

I thought of you and how devestated you would be when you heard this :o

To all 3, you bleed for the Red and the Blue and for that I am truly grateful.

Robbo, if you go on good luck but I hope we [censored] you in any game we play against you.

Wheels, damn I am going to miss you!

Wheats I wish your body stood up better.

Thanks for the fish!

Earlier this year I travelled to the Gold Coast where I attended a club function on the eve of the St. Kilda game. Dean Bailey made it clear that he was going to continue to focus on youth and that Melbourne would have the youngest list in the AFL next year. This immediately put into doubt the careers of the club's older brigade who obviously needed to do something special to retain their places.

A decade ago, clubs could carry a few players in their veteran years but the way it's played these days together with the economic costs dictate that you can't do it with those who have recent records of injury such as Robbo, Wheats and Wheels. If you want to use the options available to bring good young talent into your playing group then you have to make some sacrifices somewhere and some players in their late 20's who might previously have played on and possibly have given good service for a couple more years must make way for youth.

That doesn't take away a thing from the decade of service (more in Robbo's case) devoted to the club by this trio and by Junior should he decide to go. Congratulations to all of them for their fine careers and great service to the club.

Robbo has been one of our all time great goalkickers, a B & F winner and one of the great characters at the club. Wheats has been a workhorse who was probably forced by circumstances to reshape his game on more than one occasion. Like a couple of others above, I too remember that early game he played at CHF which possibly led me to wrongly believe that he was always capable of producing more in his career. Wheels has always been one of my favourites who IMO also should have had a longer and more decorated career but for the intervention of injury. He's been a great mentor for our younger indigenous players and will leave a gaping hole at the club if he retires. In fact, they all will if they indeed retire.

On those who prefer to be more than critical and even engage in personal attacks on loyal servants of the club who only gave of their best over a long period of time I can only endorse the comments of Redleg and Fan above. There's a great article in today's Age on this issue and I agree that when people have to resort to nasty and snide attacks on sportsmen, it's often more a poor reflection on the person making the comments than anything else.

Anyone critical of this move, what exactly would you have us do?

Do a Richmond and keep 3/4 30+ year old players on our list, instead of essentially replacing them with future stars? If Robbo, Whelan and Wheatley really cared about the club, they'd accept that they are no longer part of its success plan, and can no longer offer anything beneficial to the team.

Because some people just don't get it... like you for instance.

If true I wish Paul all the best in his life after footy and thank him for his contribution to the MFC.

To those on this site happy to trash any MFC player who was not as good as Robbie Flower, shame on you.

Not everyone can be a champion and to those who don't realize that, have a look in the mirror and see if you see a champion looking back.

The boys on our list do their best and if they are not good enough they will be moved on, they don't deserve to be trashed.

I look forward to the time when we can all just say thank you for the effort and good luck in the future.

Hear hear !!

Good fortune in your travels Wheaters....... couldnt do us a favour before you go and show some of the rest the better ways of kicking !!

;):)

Unless he's unable or unwilling to go on, he will stay due to being on the veteran's list.

Although MFC could probably use the money...

More importantly could use the spot on the list to draft a young player.

Junior has been a great servant of the MFC and has given his all, but if as hoped we draft you know who and his S.A. mate then there really is no place for Junior. I think he is or will be 33 and while he is still getting possessions he is not the future of the MFC. He has had a great career and should take the opportunity of retiring on a high while he is still playing reasonable footy.

I would much rather see him retire than delist a youngster who still may make it if given another season.

Junior has been a great servant of the MFC and has given his all, but if as hoped we draft you know who and his S.A. mate then there really is no place for Junior. I think he is or will be 33 and while he is still getting possessions he is not the future of the MFC. He has had a great career and should take the opportunity of retiring on a high while he is still playing reasonable footy.

I would much rather see him retire than delist a youngster who still may make it if given another season.

This is indeed the issue. I am sure Junior will handle this decision with the same character and dignity he has shown all his career.

The problem as I understand it is that with Robbo and Junior on the veteran's list, removing both from the list only yields one spot for another player. Therefore if he is delisted or he retires, we won't actually gain a spot on the list anyway. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

This is indeed the issue. I am sure Junior will handle this decision with the same character and dignity he has shown all his career.

I have spoken to Junior's brother Anthony several times and have found him to be a knowledgeable, articulate and impressive person and I am sure Junior would seek his counsel before making any decision on retiring. That said however, it still may require the decision of the football department rather than the player. Many players would see themselves as offering value for another year to their club whereas the club may see it differently. Anyway I am sure the best result will be achieved for all parties. Whenever Junior retires he can look back at his footy career knowing he gave it his all.

The problem as I understand it is that with Robbo and Junior on the veteran's list, removing both from the list only yields one spot for another player. Therefore if he is delisted or he retires, we won't actually gain a spot on the list anyway. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

Not sure how that works but surely you would gain another rookie spot.

if both Robbo and Junior retire..would not Bruce be eligble for veterans ?

With these three gone it certainly feels like an era is coming to a close.

Despite some flaws I quite liked Wheatley, but he never quite got to the level I'd have liked him to. He never seemed strong enough in the contest to play down back on medium-talls and I always wanted to see him on a wing. Under DB we we released him further up the ground and I thought it better suited his strengths, allowing him to play some decent footy.

I'll certainly miss seeing Wheels play! I always felt he was underrated by 'the footy public' and it's a shame he - like Wheatley - had a number of soft-tissue injuries. I'm really hoping to see him make that 150 milestone and still can't fathom how he didn't make the list of 150 heroes!

Robertson, like Yze and White, is a player who has copped some flak in his declining years which has IMO warped the perception of his career as a whole. For his size he's done a great job playing as a key tall for us and I wonder how dangerous he would have been if he'd been allowed to play as a third tall (something I'm hoping Jurrah can do). Even in recent years Robertson would have kicked many [more] goals had we been able to kick out in front of his leads, rather than spraying them above his head and allowing the taller opponents to easily spoil.

My sentiments exactly Rogue.

Many thanks to all three players for a decade of unstinting and loyal service to the Melbourne Footy Club.