Training 21/01

the fork

My brother, girlfriend and I, all passionate Melbourne members attended training yesterday at Victoria Park. During the off season, supporters like myself really appreciate those of you who share any info about the players and the club they can. I wanted to chip in and go some way to paying back others who have attended training and provided information and photos on Demonland and Demonology.

As I type I am trying to upload a heap of photos that I took yesterday. I will include these in an upcoming post which hopefully isn't too far away.

First of all my brother and I are interstate supporters both living in the Northern Territory. The chance to see our club at training or playing is rare indeed. We were stoked to be there with the intent of sharing some photos of the team training with Demonlanders. We are both regular readers of this site and Demonology, but rare posters. Anyway we were happy snapping away until Chris Connelly arrived. Within a minute, he had managed to accuse us of being dodgy Collingwood spies, revealed he was a Demonology observer and congratulated us on making the effort to come and see the Dees train. It was an abrupt introduction that left us feeling a bit put out, he was rather snarly and when he noticed we were genuine supporters decided he was very uninterested and rather busy... whatever. Side glances by the training staff were received for the duration of training, I'd love to know how they treat the opposition !! So G'day Chris, if your reading, yes I was taking photos for the Demonland mob and I will be sharing them as soon as I possibly can...

Anyway onto the real stuff. Training.

It was great to see the team together, old faces mixed with our new recruits. My overall impression is one of optimism. I am of the opinion that we will sneak under a few radars next season and go top 10. What I saw yesterday cemented this view. The best way to map out my observations is to go player by player. Obviously I couldn't track every player. The comments below are what I feel I can safely speak for based on our two hours of watching training yesterday.

John Meesen – What we're reading all seems to be true. He is tall, strong and effortlessly agile. In fact I was shocked at how fast this man can move. In two rucking contests yesterday I saw the past and future of the Mfc. Jamar vs. Meesen. Both contests mirrored each other. Meesen flying above the Russian, shouldering him aside, tapping to a waiting player and then sprinting (no not running) across the other side of the ground to then receive a pass on the opposite end's flank. Jamar lumbered behind him and infact couldn't stay beside him. Meesen will play plenty of footy in 2008. It doesn't add up that this guy has only played a few games. The only weakness I saw, amongst the desperate marks down low, the solid passes and taps around the ground, was his handball.

Simon Buckley – He looks to have bulked up in a big way. His top half seems to have doubled. He was amongst it all yesterday and seemed to be dictating his fair share of all around him. He, Frawley and Pettard appeared to be close and the obvious future of our backline. The backline was in fact what excited me most yesterday, along with Meesen. Pettard and Frawley have matured physically and seemed very comfortable amongst the group.

Brent Maloney – If you can find an inch of fat on this bloke your doing well. Solid muscle, hard running, speed and skills is all I saw yesterday. A fellow supporter inquired into his fitness and he replied that all was well. I am a huge fan of Beamer and he trained hard yesterday and said G'day which goes along way amongst a few demons tragics.

Austin Wonaeamirri – He chased an tackled three players yesterday who wouldn't have had the time to hear footsteps. Excitement machine indeed.

Stefan Martin – He trained with the backline mob and in match practice took marks, spoiled and cleared the ball like he belonged. My bet is he'll be developed into a KPP up back. I hadn't seen him before and I was pretty impressed I must say.

Cale Morton – Ok he has some bulk to put on but his fitness is match ready. He ran up front in the group behind Jones and Mc Lean and stuck with them. Saw some great passes and was surprised at his height. He will play some footy is 2008 for sure.

Brock and Jones – They trained hard the way born leaders only can. Nothing but speed, skill, voice, commitment. It's madness to suggest that either player cannot captain this club in the coming years.

Clint Bartram – Things obviously aren't right with Clint. He trained light and finished much earlier than the other players. I didn't want to butt in with any questions. It's a great shame as we all know but who knows how serious his injury is. Other players who didn't finish or participate in the session: Whelan, Davey, Grimes (who by the way looked hungry for the footy at every opportunity), along with Mc Namara and Cheney (Hard nut for sure).

Brad Miller – Maybe it was the shock of being named in the leadership group, I don't know but he trained like a trooper. He needs to show the same commitment in games to convince us all. I am hoping he can finally switch on in 2008. He did heaps of talking yesterday and encouraged a number of players around him.

Colin Sylvia – He looked super fit and gave me the sense that he is ready for the upcoming season. Like a few others he may realise that he has to preform this year.

Dunn trained with the midfield, Maric snapped a couple of beauties, Weetra seems popular, Zomer is a good sized player and presented well. Valenti looks like he could step straight into the side, finished a little early to ice us his calf. Bode has been busy in the gym. If we're stratching our heads for a backman in the leadership group why not Bell, manourvered brilliantly to spoil several times yesterday.

Anyway I know I've belted on a bit about the players size, but I think you'll agree we are going to be a much larger side in 2008. I hope the above is interesting enough to tide you all over for the moment at least. Go you bloody Demons.

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Poor Bartram, my heart really goes out to him.

As for Whelan, is he done for? This is not wishful thinking on my behalf, but he's been in the rehab group nearly all summer, and missed the majority of 2007 with injuries. He cannot afford to spend anymore time on the sidelines because the likes of Bell, Petterd and Bode will quickly steal his spot.

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Poor Bartram, my heart really goes out to him.

As for Whelan, is he done for? This is not wishful thinking on my behalf, but he's been in the rehab group nearly all summer, and missed the majority of 2007 with injuries. He cannot afford to spend anymore time on the sidelines because the likes of Bell, Petterd and Bode will quickly steal his spot.

Thanks Fork.

Could you tell us please how you found out that training was at Victoria Park and do you know if there's any training on Monday and if so, where?

Oh, and do they still sell those colourless, tasteless hot dogs at Victoria Park?

Austin Wonaeamirri – He chased an tackled three players yesterday who wouldn't have had the time to hear footsteps. Excitement machine indeed.

This bloke is the most "interesting" one on our list, I reckon. We pioneered the ultra-small-ultra-fast forward role when we drafted Davey, and now everyone else is following suit. Perhaps by drafting Wonaeamirri, we're trying to pioneer the ultra-small-ultra-fast defender; the only type of bloke that might be able to stop one of those forwards.

Neita - Trained well but did not complete the session. Appeared after a few weights perhaps and changed. Training staff stirred him a little to which he replied - " I'm on long service leave".

Robbo - Completed the full session including a couple of great goals. Cracked the shits at one stage when a lead was ignored.

White - He trained well, worked a little with the other potentials, but he and Messen were operating at different ends of the field (Interesting).

Whelan - Trained as light as Clint. Did a few more skills drills than him though.

Rivers - Went well, really looking fit and just looked to have the surest hands out there.

I found out about training on the Official Mfc site. It's small and difficult to find in small type toward the bottom. No sign of any hotdogs, just plenty of shitty black and white and a few suspicious Mfc officials. My brother was actually asked to put his video camera away (we were also planning some you tube action for you all), but we were asked to put it away as they are worried about people stealing their drills, fair enough or over reaction ?.

Ozzie was cheered by all players everytime he downed an opponent, like the theory here Nasher.

Thanks for the reports, guys.

I hope Whelan and Bartram can get back to full fitness.

we were asked to put it away as they are worried about people stealing their drills, fair enough or over reaction

If you could watch training, then anyone could.

*shrug

Neita - Trained well but did not complete the session. Appeared after a few weights perhaps and changed. Training staff stirred him a little to which he replied - " I'm on long service leave".

Robbo - Completed the full session including a couple of great goals. Cracked the shits at one stage when a lead was ignored.

White - He trained well, worked a little with the other potentials, but he and Messen were operating at different ends of the field (Interesting).

Whelan - Trained as light as Clint. Did a few more skills drills than him though.

Rivers - Went well, really looking fit and just looked to have the surest hands out there.

I found out about training on the Official Mfc site. It's small and difficult to find in small type toward the bottom. No sign of any hotdogs, just plenty of shitty black and white and a few suspicious Mfc officials. My brother was actually asked to put his video camera away (we were also planning some you tube action for you all), but we were asked to put it away as they are worried about people stealing their drills, fair enough or over reaction ?.

Ozzie was cheered by all players everytime he downed an opponent, like the theory here Nasher.

Thanks. And avoid the hot dogs!

Thanks Fork - Great Post

Some solid photos there also.

You have made PhilReadFury not so furious...

If only the club went to such an effort to keep supporters abreast of what was going on during pre-season.

Would make a change from the detail lacking propaganda that is usually posted on the MFC website

Great post fork aswell as pictures its good to hear that the 'newbies' are fitting in well and making themselves noticed while its not so good 2 hear that Whelan and Barts are still not completly training when i attended training whelan and wheatly where just kicking the ball to each other hopefully he can improve soon and we can see the Wheels we know

Thanks Fork. As a fellow interstater I can share your enthusiasm. Fortunately the Dees will be up here in Canberra in a couple of weeks and the club's done the right thing and sent out letters inviting members to attend the training sessions.

It's all looking encouraging. Good to see Beamer, Col and Riv all up and about.... now just to get Flash, Wheels and Bartman back on track.

Sensational report and photos!

So I guess Davey, Whelan and Bartram are the only blokes that will certainly miss the NAB CUP early weeks.

Thanks for your efforts Fork.

Isn't that Davey in the 1st photo in the 2nd last row, with his cap on backwards taking a chest mark?

It's really encouraging that Rivers, Moloney and Sylvia all seem to be up and running.

Sensational report and photos!

So I guess Davey, Whelan and Bartram are the only blokes that will certainly miss the NAB CUP early weeks.

Exactly what I was going to ask BBP.

If anyone knows:

Other than those three, are all the other boys eg Rivers Neiter Wheatley Mclean Colin and Greeny all considered to be in the main group?

Who is supposed to be OK to go but is in "Cotton Wool" (which I read as Rehab).

It is getting near February when we look to see who is really going OK.

thanks for that and great photos.

I hope someone teaches Miller to kick - the last photo shows his usual technique of how not to kick a ball.

anyway, am looking forward to all the young guys coming through, especially if we can unearth a tall or two. I have some faith in our midfield going forward so it would be good if we can get at least one young tall to become a very good kPP for us.