Clayton Oliver

Demonland

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver opens up on Trade Period drama

Clayton Oliver has spoken publicly for the first time about his failed trade to Geelong and what he expects when he returns to Melbourne for pre-season.

Clayton Oliver plans to make up for what he called “a stinker” of a season, saying he is determined to help drive Melbourne back to the finals again in 2025.

The Demons midfielder met with Geelong ahead of the trade period about a potential move down the highway, but Melbourne would not budge on its decision to retain the 27-year-old.

Oliver told the Herald Sun on Saturday at Caulfield that while he was within his rights to speak with the Cats, he was now focused solely on trying to get his body right to help the Demons return to September action.

“We’re good, we’re all sweet,” Oliver said of his relationship with Melbourne.

“We’ve got ‘Trac’ (Christian Petracca) coming back, (he’s) the best player in the league … he had a pretty big injury. He is training hard. 

“We were there (in a premiership winning team in 2021) a couple of years ago and we fell short in 2022 and 2023.

“(This year) ‘Gussy’ (Angus Brayshaw) retired, we had ‘Trac’ injured, I had a stinker of a year and ‘Maysey’ (Steven May) was a little bit off.”

Oliver said he had been in regular communication with Christian Petracca, who has been overseas at a Red Bull training camp in an effort to return from his sickening lacerated spleen and internal injuries suffered on King’s Birthday.

Asked about his meeting with Geelong in the lead-up to the trade period, Oliver said: “It’s all right … (I had) a chat to people.”

“But Melbourne are looking good. We will have a big year.”

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 4

The headline says ‘failed trade’ but Oliver only ever talks about ‘having a chat’ or ‘meeting with’ Geelong. At no point did he say or even hint at any desire (or otherwise) to leave.

A little bit of a peek behind the curtain there, seeing how the media creates a narrative rather than reporting things straight.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

The headline says ‘failed trade’ but Oliver only ever talks about ‘having a chat’ or ‘meeting with’ Geelong. At no point did he say or even hint at any desire (or otherwise) to leave.

A little bit of a peek behind the curtain there, seeing how the media creates a narrative rather than reporting things straight.

Yes they have to enhance Tracc’s injury no mention of the wonder boy that caused it. Ha ha.!!

• Like 6

Tom Morris’ article tomorrow -

Oliver out to Pasture?

‘Clayton is so desperate to leave Melbourne he’s contemplating becoming a race horse, according to 2 sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity (well one of the sources more gestured with its front hoof, but we all know what that means).’

• Like 1
  • Haha 13
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Axis of Bob said:

Another failed 'media' expose. It ran deep  and down the wrong track, and then hit a bumpy road (that we call BS) that was totally unsympathetic with the welfare and deepest thoughts of Clarrie, the Club, the Demon faithful. You got 'em right between the eyes, Clarrie; hook, line and sinker.      And we are all rapt that you did!!! 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

I just want Clarrie to make Damian Barrett, Mclure, Morris and every other d/head jounro eat it.

By winning the Norm  in a flag next year.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

He had a bit of a knee issue, they took the metal plate out of his hand,( which was keeping it attached to his wrist, AND A COUPLE OF BUSTED RIBS!!! PARK ME WHAT A SUPERHUMAN EFFORT JUST TO PLAY, plenty here on demonland were scathingly sledging him, well after that

CLAYTON YOU ARE A BLOODY LEGEND IN MY BOOK

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Clap 2

All is good and right with the world again.

‘I had a stinker’: Oliver vows to atone in 2025 after failed move to Geelong

Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver has broken his silence after the trade period, pledging to atone for his self-described “stinker” of a season next year.

Days after the Demons shut the door on a move to Geelong, the four-time best and fairest winner was pragmatic about the failed trade and is “keen to get back” to training with his Melbourne teammates when preseason formally starts next month.

The Dees kept their word in not trading Oliver, who had met several Cats players at ruckman Rhys Stanley’s farm heading into the player exchange period.

“That’s alright, Melbourne are looking good, we’ll be right,” Oliver said at the races at Caulfield, where a horse raced by his friend Darcy Mangan was victorious.

Oliver spoke bullishly of the Demons’ chances next year after a 
disappointing 2024 in which the club missed the finals for the first time since 2020.

I think this just about confirms Melbourne as the big winner of the trade and free agency period. The club kept its absolute champions and has two top ten picks in its back pocket. 

We can now follow Clarry’s lead and concentrate on the Spring Carnival, the cricket, tennis and the rest of the AFLW season before moving on to take the next premiership flag.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

I just want Clarrie to make Damian Barrett, Mclure, Morris and every other d/head jounro eat it.

I don't have a problem with these journos "reporting" the news, even if it isn't really true. The thing that gets me is when they get on their soapbox and start pontificating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

He had a bit of a knee issue, they took the metal plate out of his hand,( which was keeping it attached to his wrist, AND A COUPLE OF BUSTED RIBS!!! PARK ME WHAT A SUPERHUMAN EFFORT JUST TO PLAY, plenty here on demonland were scathingly sledging him, well after that

CLAYTON YOU ARE A BLOODY LEGEND IN MY BOOK

You can thank Joel Selwood for ruining his hand when he kicked it a few years ago. Thankfully Hawkins and Selwood are no longer playing anymore. Dirty, dirty players. I can't wait for the day when they fall off the cliff and spiral down the ladder. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

I dont think he was talking to Geelong about pasta recipes was he.

This is all on Pert. 

By shopping Clarry around he started the media speculation and put the Club in an embarrassing position.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 3

2 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

I think we are need to acknowledge that Oliver would have preferred to leave at a point in time. It couldn’t happen as the cats needed to offer overs/market value for us to tick it off. They wanted him for unders. No deal was ever going to happen but he would have taken it.

Anyway it didn’t happened and we all move ahead together and move on from this. He is back on board and hopefully he gets back to his level. He is paid to get back to his level. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Where Demons Dare said:

You can thank Joel Selwood for ruining his hand when he kicked it a few years ago. Thankfully Hawkins and Selwood are no longer playing anymore. Dirty, dirty players. I can't wait for the day when they fall off the cliff and spiral down the ladder. 

I still remember that great night in 2018 when we beat them in the QF.  I was genuinely astonished by what an absolute grub Selwood was. I almost - ALMOST - agreed with my Hawthorn mates for once.

• Like 4