Pert and Roffey - The Review Thread

Demons11

Pert's record speaks for itself...Culture at Dee's & Pie's when he is in charge hasn't exactly been fantastic!

Roffey got handed the best Chairpersons gig in footy we were flying and since she took over its slowly fallen apart.

Roffey has got great experience in Government department's and Universities which is probably why we are in this mess. The skill set has lead the way on all sorts of flag waving and feel good inclusiveness but no results where it maters whilst the joint falls apart.

The board and particularly Roffey are far to close to Goodwin he should never have received he extension last year pre finals and should surely go now the footy department needs a complete reset

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

pert and richo's media statements are looking increasingly ridiculous and poor in the wake of the cultural issues within the football dept. and the lack of progress for a home base, not to mention the loss of sponsors and inability to replace them (albeit in extremely fraught economic times)

roffey was handed the presidential mantle on the proviso that she was this great dealer with governments, and so far we've got minimal updates on what is going on with the home base

there's an irony that in march, 2024, we had a loud president criticising quiet fans; by august, 2024, we have loud fans criticising a quiet president

if trac does, indeed, force a trade then the board, leaders of the club, and football dept should be under incredible pressure to retain their roles

• Like 11

It may well be time for both of them to go. I'm not sure.

But I will say you can't have a player demanding changes in the top office like Trac is. Or the coaching team for that matter. that's lunatics running the asylum and leads to disaster.

• Like 4

In my view Pert needs to go, i have zero trust in anything he says 

He said " we have the best culture in 40 years" and we missed the finals and had several major off field issues

He said "He's not having conversations were Petracca about breaking his contract or being traded" Maybe you're not, but he was certainly aware that was his intention in my view. 

if you want the fans trust, admit there are significant issues to work through, commit to a full audit of every area of the club, get things right and give us a fighting chance of being relevant in 2025. 

Fans aren't [censored], the majority on here saw right through the Petracca situation the moment the reports dropped, and i don't think clubs as a general rule give this point enough consideration, we're not toddlers and can handle the news that things need to improve, you're not protecting anyone coz the players clearly know.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

49 minutes ago, Fuchsias Forever said:

Pert's record speaks for itself...Culture at Dee's & Pie's when he is in charge hasn't exactly been fantastic!

Roffey got handed the best Chairpersons gig in footy we were flying and since she took over its slowly fallen apart.

Roffey has got great experience in Government department's and Universities which is probably why we are in this mess. The skill set has lead the way on all sorts of flag waving and feel good inclusiveness but no results where it maters whilst the joint falls apart.

The board and particularly Roffey are far to close to Goodwin he should never have received he extension last year pre finals and should surely go now the footy department needs a complete reset

He'd just finished top 4 for a third year in a row. This is BS.

As is the stuff about government departments and universities. She's private sector all the way. As is the corporate flag waving and inclusiveness. 

But... I think we need a new board, new pres and new CEO, with the incomers guaranteeing Goody stability on field, with a refreshed footy department (with Todd Viney at the head).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Whately and Kingy have hit the nail on the head with this one.

King is spot on.

Note, Goodwin bashers...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

In my opinion it’s time for both of these to go.  Pert offers nothing and just spins his words every time he talks.

Clean the slate!

The fish rots at the head! 

So inform us what they have done wrong in detail so people can discuss it? Facts only please..

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

I think it would be naive to just give Goodwin a tick, there are a large range of issues on and off the field that Goodwin is responsible for, he is not in the clear by a long shot and I personally believe the current issues relate to Goodwin and the coaching group. It also feels like Pert and Roffey should be given marching orders, but that is just a guess as I'm not all over board issues (nor want to be).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

David King said something yesterday as well along the lines of:

"Simon Goodwin, Max Gawn and Jack Viney are the only people I trust at that club right now, everything else is waffle"

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah, when pert Roffey and Gawn were extolling our ‘culture’ a couple years back I knew we had drunk the Kool-aid. Ah well, let’s see what Goodwin can salvage. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Heart Beats True said:

We need to throw everything at Peter Jackson to come back to the club and also make a major play for Graham Wright. 

he would work on a consultancy basis

simon mathews as ceo would be a change that might make a difference

and i echo the call for todd coming back within the football department

edit: but i'm not sure whether todd would return; he's been here once and overseen one period of success, and his 'job' is not finished at north

he's clearly a terrific football dept operator and they are lucky to have him, but he did effectively 'retire' with us before being lured back

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 3

Unfortunately it has come to that time as it often does in many businesses that we need a circuit breaker aka a scapegoat.

Not sure who it should be but we aren't getting out of this mess with a steady as you go approach.

Post 2021 has definitely not been what we were all imagining 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Unfortunately it has come to that time as it often does in many businesses that we need a circuit breaker aka a scapegoat.

Not sure who it should be but we aren't getting out of this mess with a steady as you go approach.

Post 2021 has definitely not been what we were all imagining 

So much for the “expert’s” predictions about a “dynasty” !

• Sad 1

I agree with David King too.

Us Melbourne supporters and members aren't stupid. We know when we are getting spun lies and rubbish.

We want to know the truth! We want everything to put on the table so that these problems can be acknowledged and a strategy put in place to resolve them.

We also want to know who is going to be held accountable for these failures? Will President Kate Roffey finally make a public statement? Will CEO Gary Pert tell us what is really going wrong?

If these problems continue to fester then there will be a significant downturn in Melbourne membership numbers next year too. This then ruins all the hard work of finally breaking our Premiership drought of 57 years in 2021.

There is also the lingering issue of club culture and problems which cannot be mentioned here. All those legal matters too that have caused many distractions.

Then there's the ongoing situation of our Home Base and what is going on at the Caulfield Racecourse. Has any significant progress been made yet? It just seems to drag on and on...

It is time to be honest and fix these problems at the Melbourne Football Club. This starts with the Melbourne Football Club Board showing leadership and getting on the front foot to fix this mess.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wow! This is pretty blunt and cuts through the usual bulltish and speculating. To hear King say that the only people at Melbourne he rates/trusts are Goodwin, Max, Viney and the recruiters means that there is a lot of stuff going on that most of us don't have a clue about - those within the footy community do. He says he hasn't believed one thing that Gary Pert has said this season - that is absolutely damning.

As an aside, before this whole saga blew up, my thought was that Pert and Roffey have two main objectives over the next few months:

1. Confirm a home base

2. Work out how you get more Melbourne members back to watching the games. There's no point in going on about record memberships, when only 14k are turning up on a Saturday night.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, 3183 Dee said:

Wow! This is pretty blunt and cuts through the usual bulltish and speculating. To hear King say that the only people at Melbourne he rates/trusts are Goodwin, Max, Viney and the recruiters means that there is a lot of stuff going on that most of us don't have a clue about - those within the footy community do. He says he hasn't believed one thing that Gary Pert has said this season - that is absolutely damning.

As an aside, before this whole saga blew up, my thought was that Pert and Roffey have two main objectives over the next few months:

1. Confirm a home base

2. Work out how you get more Melbourne members back to watching the games. There's no point in going on about record memberships, when only 14k are turning up on a Saturday night.

I haven't either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

In my view Pert needs to go, i have zero trust in anything he says 

He said " we have the best culture in 40 years" and we missed the finals and had several major off field issues

He said "He's not having conversations were Petracca about breaking his contract or being traded" Maybe you're not, but he was certainly aware that was his intention in my view. 

if you want the fans trust, admit there are significant issues to work through, commit to a full audit of every area of the club, get things right and give us a fighting chance of being relevant in 2025. 

Fans aren't [censored], the majority on here saw right through the Petracca situation the moment the reports dropped, and i don't think clubs as a general rule give this point enough consideration, we're not toddlers and can handle the news that things need to improve, you're not protecting anyone coz the players clearly know.

Plenty of well connected Melbourne people [censored] off that he "Works from home" in Noosa too much

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

he would work on a consultancy basis

simon mathews as ceo would be a change that might make a difference

and i echo the call for todd coming back within the football department

edit: but i'm not sure whether todd would return; he's been here once and overseen one period of success, and his 'job' is not finished at north

he's clearly a terrific football dept operator and they are lucky to have him, but he did effectively 'retire' with us before being lured back

Peter Jackson finished a full review of the Bulldogs this year and is available

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I said it last week but that SEN interview before the gold coast game Pert gave was awful. Nothing he said sounded sincere or substantive. Just a bunch of excuses, spin and complaints about all the things we've had to deal with that can't be controlled by a CEO.

Mate, if you can't take control maybe let someone do the job who can.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Personally, I just like accountability. Happy for you to take credit when things are going well but things have been poor for a little while now, yet no accountability.