POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide

6 minutes ago, Alex No Fancy-name said:

From the "if my Aunt had wheels she'd be a wagon" file - but just saw the pic of May in the sponsored players frame on this page - with him out there we win.  We win a game against a side with everything to play for - we win a game that pundits and folk on this page had us losing by between 7 goals and 70 points.

At the end of the day we get experience into some young players, a better look at the list, and  something to avenge next time we play this lot (who know they just got over the line at the ground they need to own if they're going to do anything in September*).

*they're not.

I can't see who will do anything in September.

Looks more like the least bad team will win 😆

Not Freo btw.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BDA said:

Was he injured. That’s what I assumed 

I don’t think so and he looked rather p155ed off 

Strange decision imo and there would be a could I would have given a rest before him 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Good effort. But Christ almighty we are a really poorly skilled team. And some of the decision making is mind boggling. 

I really am counting down the days until this season is done. It’s been painful. 

Fumbling cost us the game.

Constant fumbling.

Great effort with an undermanned side, but the lack of ball handling skill kills us.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, waynewussell said:

The Billings haters need to open their eyes. He had 23 disposals with 7 marks and 3 tackles. Our 4th highest on the AFL fantasy points… He clearly isn’t the reason we lost!

Agree, he wasn’t awful but as Petty has found a semblance of form we need a new wipping boy 

• Like 2

Some need to ease up on Kolt. Yes he should have kicked it but you can name 50 other crucial moments where some of our more senior players were poor.

Take Jake Lever for instance. How on earth can you let a 182cm small forward just take a relatively easy mark like that.

Good learning experience for Koltyn. 

• Like 11

How many bemoaning the coaching were saying pre-game that we wouldn’t get near them?

If you can’t react to a loss with anything other than “poor coaching” or “sack Goodwin”, just don’t bother. 

Our set up, effort and intensity is what had us leading the side sitting 2nd, fresh off beating the side sitting first by 100, all night. 

We lost this game because we’re woefully unskilled, incapable of executing basics under pressure, unfit and panic in close games.

Billings drops a chest mark then panics and misses the snap. Kolt misses from 20m. TMac turns it over under no pressure. Langdon fumbled his first touch how many times?

We’re carrying unfit players. We’re not aerobically fit enough and so we have players unable to spread or close down space in close games as needed. 

Despite all that, we kept ourselves in it. Our defensive set up and our brutality at contest for 3.5 quarters, coupled with Kozzie and Gawn masterclasses, was fantastic. But all for nought when we cannot sort out the basics. 

I’m glad we used McVee in centre bounces more. Should keep doing that now that we’re done. Bring in Bowey or Woey or AMW to cover and run him through the middle more.

Time to “manage” Oliver. Get him off for surgery if he needs it or otherwise just start his pre-season ASAP. 

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

It has tonight been decided that a review will be undertaken post season to ensure we have the staff most capable of maximising the talent within the club. It is believed there is a lot of player support behind the current regime but there are others associated with the club who believe changes are neccesary. 

Thanks mate.

Very intrigued to see what comes of it after the season.

Are we talking a coaching restructure?

• Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

People getting stuck into Jsck Billings who had s fine game and giving an out for Oliver is laughable.

Whilst Billings was working his [censored] off along the wing Oliver was happy to just jog in between contests and have zero respect for his opponent.  It was appalling to watch. Honestly wish Goowdin had the guts to sub him off instead of JVR. Send a message.

Billings? Fine game. 3 times in the last quarter when he had scoring changes he completed fumbled and Boak gained more space on him the longer the game went.

That said, he gave up about the best he had. So I don’t see any reason to join the pile on. He was a late in playing just about his last ever game.

Oliver was bad all night and awful late, most of this site downplays just how bad he’s been. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

The Billings haters need to open their eyes. He had 23 disposals with 7 marks and 3 tackles. Our 4th highest on the AFL fantasy points… He clearly isn’t the reason we lost!

No doubt these were the good parts of his game. 

But he fumbles, he misses easy kicks, he is still too soft, and he dropped his head badly after his howler dropped mark and missed snap.

IMO, the good did not do enough to outweigh the bad. But I might be too harsh on him. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Great endeavour by the boys but bloody hell I am so sic and tired of not taking our chances in front of goal or not lowering our eyes when going into F50. 

It’s been a BIG problem for a few seasons now and STILL HASN'T BEEN FIXED FFS. 

Just very very frustrating. 

• Like 4

Billings was equal 8th for possessions when both teams are included and 9th best on the ground for fantasy points. This is a long way from being disgraced. Knockers simply expose themselves as very poor students of the game!

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Strange decision imo and there would be a could I would have given a rest before him 

JVR was our lowest rated player when subbed out tonight. In the end, Melksham rated less, but that’s understandable given he was only on for a few minutes. 

24 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Goodwin amd Roffey neef to go

Yeah Roffey should've dobbed that goal and manned up in the last quarter there 🤦

Thought the effort and intent was there, for those not keeping track we lost by 2 points to the team sitting 2nd with 2 games left. Kolt should've dobbed that goal but he'll be better for the experience. Billings should've kicked the goal too to make up for his poor game but kicked the wrong side of the foot/ball.

Salem was a lot better, Petty was better but still should be the bare minimum effort there. The defence held up pretty well without May. Oliver was poor but I thought Viney was good, Max was Max and Koz was electric. Disappointed that Lever didn't spoil that mark that Narkle took to kick the matchwinning goal but he was good overall.

Season was already over but I was pleased with the effort and our kids get some more development into them. We really need to focus on our ball movement and inside 50 entries over the summer again, our ball use is still sub par.

In other news, Essendon lost after the siren 😍

• Like 6

We really lost our dare late in the game. We head to the boundary so often to the point where it's become a crutch. The problem is, if you want more stoppages, you need to be a good contested and clearance team which we are not right now. 

It's almost impossible to tell who our CHF is at any given time because we don't kick there. 

• Like 2

We nearly win in a SCRAP-fest thanks to

Gawn huge heart  huge contest  pushes himself   Physically huge  👏👏👏

Pickett  Four goals  always dangerous    👏👏(Just need to stop fumbling and work on his discipline )

Anb amazing runner  tackles   Good goal👏👏 (must stop crazy brain fade handballs to … no one) 

McVee  just so reliable  defence  tackles spoils  smart  keep him in defence 👏👏 (was lost for the 5 mins in the midfield) 

the robot JV7  his heart and desire is amazing  defended and tackled hard👏 (just lacks any polish by hand or foot) 

Petty marked and contested team high 8 tackles 👏

apologies Langdon who fought hard and ran and ran all night 👏

———————————-

Thanks … you were okay … Chandler Riv Lever Howes Sparrow Turner Tmcd (aside from one matchkiller mistake) Tomlinson 
———————————-
Detention class for … 

Salem. 🤯So slow. Gets the footy and then stop. Stop. Slow. Kick to contest.  Up and under. 
Billings 🤮gets it. Kicks 30 metres.  Up and under. Had golden chance and again cannot kick a goal ever !!!!
Clarry 🤮 skills are horrible but he tries … unfortunately is slow or fumbles or missed tackle or kicks turnovers 

Fritsch 🤯offers nothing defensively misses tackles , kick the goal when 25 metres out. Get inside his head 
JVR. 🤯Still just fumbles fumbles fumbles nearly gets it fumbles. Needs to grab it. A nearly nearly effort 

Hore 🤯 marked ok but fell over 3 times and his kick to turnover was so so poor 

Throlstrup  🤯just give him some more time, nearly nearly again  shows it but is just missing the skill to deliver  ; had the chance to win it but didn’t  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
L
  • Thanks 1

I stayed to finish my beer before catching the train. Caught the end of the bombers game. Biggest cheer of the night when Mac Andrew’s marked and goaled. Eat shti bombers 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 2

8 minutes ago, Sydee said:

As they say.
The big fellas don't get any shorter in the last qtr.
Staggering decision. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

10 minutes ago, Sydee said:

And then Milkshake went out there and did F All.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

We lost this game because we’re woefully unskilled, incapable of executing basics under pressure, unfit and panic in close games.

Crazy that we have done nothing to address our skills for years.

• Love 1
  • Clap 2