Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

18 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

With Bailey Smith nominating the Cats, I don't know how they have any draft capital to also obtain Clayton Oliver.

The Melbourne Football Club needs to hold Clayton Oliver to his contract. We have all the bargaining power.

I am also angry that the CEO Gary Pert thinks he can act independently from the coaching team in determining the future of a player. Especially if Simon Goodwin wants Clayton Oliver to stay!

If this is found to be the case then I want Gary Pert sacked for meddling in football affairs without the consent of the rest of the football department.

I have been a supporter of Gary Pert as CEO. But this Clayton Oliver (and Christian Petracca) fiasco has been a PR disaster for the Melbourne Football Club.

Heads need to roll and Gary Pert needs to go. Otherwise, we will have a massive downturn in memberships next year due to losing beloved star players!

Is it possible that the only other person aside from Simon, wanting to explore every avenue to keep Clarry was Rofey?

With her either being pushed out and / or leaving of her own accord seeing she was seemingly the only other person trying to hold the Clarry dam wall from bursting and a big Clarry fan / nurturer from last year on.  Her departure then left Pert holding the reigns at the top.

Having a counter view to Roffey and then some alleged further misdemeanours, Pert then decides to take it upon himself to put the feelers out and cut our losses now instead of waiting for the levie to break so to speak in 2025.  Players (Tracc?) getting more upset and potentially losing multiple good guys during or at the end of 2025 and trouble bringing in potential trade bait instead of loosing Claz now?

If Pert did take this route the question is why him and not those in charge within the FD?  

Does that mean there's also a major split of differences now post Rofey between Simon (others within the FD) and Pert?

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 2

37 minutes ago, Jack Vineys Anger Manager said:

Now watch all the rumours and reports re Clayton's behavior mysteriously disappear when he joins a professional club.

The media will probably call 2025 the year of redemption for Clayton, and get right behind him.

Guaranteed. AFL HQ control the media and Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton are their faves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

“Can Melbourne hold him to his contract if the price isn’t right?”

Bewildering.

Surely he’s our player until MFC say he’s not or his contract is up.

Or perhaps “journalist” Jay Clark meant to ask ‘should’ and not “can”.

We’ve instigated this. 

Which means we’ve lost the bargaining power to hold him. 

It’s, IMO, a monumental mismanagement of one of the 5 best players this club has ever had. 

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

21 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It appears we want him gone

That might be the case but my referencing of Jay Clark’s post was to question how Oliver could out if we didn’t agree.

If Geelong really want him they need to compensate us.

Also, MFC should not be conned into paying a cent of his salary.

Edited by Abyssal
  • Like 1

Just now, Abyssal said:

That might be the case but my referencing of Jay Clark’s post was to question how Oliver could walk out if we didn’t agree.

If Geelong really want him they need to compensate us.

Also, MFC should not be conned into paying a cent of his salary.

D

5 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Guaranteed. AFL HQ control the media and Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton are their faves. 

There is some history repeating here though.  We cant seem to hold on or foster decent players through a crisis it seems.

Some end up leaving and turn it around at other club (clubs who are better at doing so?) and end up turning their footy career around.

The latest Clazz saga feels like history repeating for me.

A large part of why we are where we are on this of course might be on Claz but the question has to be asked, why us so often?

We just don't feel like a destination club for whatever reason, even after a recent premiership.

Quite sad really.  We had a great opportunity post 2021 and it's looking more and more like we may have blown it.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

It’s really becoming like the Watts situation. Much loved fan favourite, all the talent in the world, someone you’d love to have a beer with, but just not professional enough. 

it’s a huge fall from grace for Clarry as coaching department inclusive of the Roos era we’re saying he was the most professional and competitive person they had ever seen. 

I remember thinking we got rolled for the Jack watts Trade, but the player brought in for him Fritsch, we don’t win the flag without him. 

I’m sad to see him go as I love our players. But I’m missing the player we was 2 years ago, not the one he is now who can’t even poll 1 brownlow vote in a season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It appears we want him gone

Who is “we” exactly though? 

Because Goodwin apparently doesn’t. 

If we’re to believe him, forces higher up are about to strip him of a club champion. A champion who he believes he can still manage and return him to his best form. 

So either that’s not how he really feels, or the club are officially saying they have no confidence he can. 

This all fits in with the notion that one of Goodwin’s characteristics is being “mates” with the players. 

I can’t help but be reminded of the teachers I had in high school who wanted to be “in” with the students (“the ones who’d say “None of that ‘mister’ stuff, call me Steve”). You liked them but you didn’t fear them, and you were often trying to find out where the boundaries actually were. 

• Clap 1

If Clarry goes and pert stays I am officially out. It will give me much more time on weekends to work on playing on the champions tour. The short game still needs work.

• Like 3

Anyone who’s going to the B&F should stand up as one & tell the MFC to get stuffed.

We the supporters have been treated like rabbits droppings for 18 months.

The handling of the players & the clubs finances has been nothing short of appalling & we get nothing from these bludgers

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well blow me away.. not surprised one bit.

This is going to be an absolute distraction each and every year he's with us.

Either the leadership group are too weak to control him or they're simply just fed up and had enough of his [censored].

Clearly he's not willing to grow up.

Happily support the club on this if they decided to trade him.

Yeah - that Max Gawn and Viney and May and TMac and Milkshake are all hopeless.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Yeah - that Max Gawn and Viney and May and TMac and Milkshake are all hopeless.

Oh please. Don't act like it's a solid rock hard leadership group, far from it.

Under their watch there have been significant off field issues for the last couple of year.

They absolutely need to take some sort of responsibility for the mess along with the football department as well.

• Like 14

46 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

Go after Connor O'Sullivan. 19yo, 198cm defender, pick #11 in the 2023 draft.

Currently he's not even the first reserve option at the Cats, SDK didn't play in the prelim, so O'Sullivan is a way down the pecking order. He can come to the Dees and learn from May and Lever, and would likely play next year. He'd be ready to go as our #1 defender when May is eventually done.

Oliver -> O'Sullivan and Geelong's 2025 first.

You heard it here first...that deal Plus..... Picket Fence training reports plus evocative and thought provoking narratives at CATLAND in 2025

• Haha 1

I'm completely fed up with our club. What a debacle. If Clarry leaves we ain't contenders any time soon.

Trac will leave next year and we go thru this [censored] again 

Cooneys call to get Trac out now as sickening as it is might be best with such a good talent pool this draft. Finish bottom 6 again most likely but I couldn't care less as long as we have players who want to be involved in getting some credibility back to what is an absolute laughing stock club .

What a rabble. Time to reset.

• Like 1

I'm having my 2 bobs worth. We should toughen up and tell Oliver he stays as a Demon and get your act together. See you on 1st day of preseason training. Only thing to do UNLESS some fantastic offer is made to us otherwise, we play hard ball. 

• Like 4