Andy Moniz-Wakefield to Debut

Nascent

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Spoke to him at the Sponsors function, just told him to keep knocking on the door LOUDLY.......he is as tough as nails.

SATY!!!

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Congratulations Andy Moniz-Wakefield you have been racking up impressive possessions at Casey all year and fairly knocked the door off its hinges on Sunday Vs North. A lot of people on DLand have been calling for your debut including me so we are all looking forward to watching you run out on Friday night. Enjoy the experience young man play your role but show us your wheels.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, joeboy said:

I see a very similar comparison physically and attitudinally to another indigenous player who was well loved by all Dees’ supporters, and who ironically also wore #45, Mathew Whelan .

i hope Andy’s career is as impressive as Matty’s 

Good get.

• Like 3

Great news. 👏👏👏 As most Demonlanders know, I have been a huge supporter of AMW and called for his debut for many many weeks.  Finally he’s broken through.  We should not expect him to star, but play a role.  Hopefully he gets a few weeks to adjust.  His tackling alone should add to the team.  And yes hopefully the coaches call him to run and run and overlap where he can. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I hope he thanks you for your inspirational words in his pre-game debut speech. 

You can blame Nev Jetta, when he was leaving, after I had along with my partner been doing volunteering with the Club and  told him I was finishing with it as it was getting too much with work changes after COVID,  but wanted to do something else, he said sponsor one of the new kids, but don't pick the top draft picks, pick a kid you can watch develop and encourage them along the way. Hence why Nev is going to be a Senior Coach one day.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, layzie said:

Couldn't be more stoked with this opportunity. He's worked damn hard and is finally being rewarded. 

His closing speed will be an asset and he'll add to our defensive pressure wherever it's needed on the ground. Go get em AMW!

This is what I like the most. Our ground ball stuff in D50 has felt like a weakness for most of the year. He's just one player and a debutant at that, but it's a step in the right direction the way games are being played these days 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Glad to see the coaching staff don’t share George’s opinion of AMW, I actually Think he’s really gonna add some composure and poise to be a bit of a point of difference for us this week so let’s see, groundball game is top-notch w/low centre of gravity so am wrapped for the kid who’s preserved and found his spot, for me it likely means Bowser is out so that’s my prediction, really poor on weekend and allowed opponent to fly several times without going with him last week, made poor decisions — but it could be to replace Salo as well if they know he’s out.. 🤔 

Id of loved to see Jeffo TBH but there’s a tipping point with youth — job for someone to find out what the HECK is going on with Spargo — we’re down Gus, Lever ( not anymore 😮‍💨), Smith, Trac & Spargo role was rolled to be huge this year so to hear the podcast poo-pooing our depth when we’ve blooded more youth than ANYONE in recent times is really quite stark and barren — With Gus, Brown, Harmes, Grundy, Jordon all off the books the loss in depth with a few injuries is.. surprising? We’ll actually finally get to spend some dough on depth at years end and it’ll mean if we are cooked for this year, we can regenerate fast next year, ppl just have no idea what losing Gus, Smith without ability to replace doesn’t a list then to lose Spargo all year, Melksham all year so far, to say we’ve got no depth left is.. well, a bit mute, dark and masochistic really. But that’s just MFCSS — it’s ok, you’ll come round gents! Although I do say George and Andy enjoy a bit of dour-delight hahaha 🤫 

Had a crack at Yeo, having one still at Battle many other names being floated: LDU?! — (we’d hope), Ballard, Davies, S Berry, Pruess, Callahan and others just 2 targets acquired with draft haul is another solid step fwd with 2 of those list slots already available — Taylor and Lamb aren’t gonna be sitting on their hands singing ‘Kumbaya’ that’s for damn sure, they’re the best in the biz and they’ll be working tirelessly to upgrade! My big peeve is what I said at time, WHY WHY WHY give Grundy away to a contender? What did he have on us as leverage? ZIP.. just so silly that’s one I’ll never understand inc media at time who now laugh but we’re a main driver if the narrative that we somehow HAD to let him go for nothing — crazyness! Brown coming off books this off-season releases more dough, we will deliver some juicy surprises just watch. I thought Fullarton has showed signs as well, been emergency several times and isn’t far away stats don’t tell full story there, he’s close!

Envy of the comp in terms of youth depth already playing AFL footy, we will live to fight another day next year but I’m not done on this season yet, I’ll say it one more time — I’d MUCH rather this than to perform definition of insanity by expecting a diff result this finals series, at least we haven’t peaked (not by long shot clearly 😂) & as Binman said Goody narrative hasn’t changed, we have weapons galore but obviously need some luck and momentum to get the confidence back.

Lever return HUGE.. Kets see if we can put up a fight and take a step fwd again this week.

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
Responses while typing essay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Nascent said:

Demon debut | Moniz-Wakefield gets his moment

Well done Andy ! You have certainly earned this opportunity. Nickname? Could be the VICAR after the classic novel, The Vicar of WAKEFIELD by Oliver Goldsmith. Then we would have clerical mate for the REV (Neale Daniher)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Well done Andy ! You have certainly earned this opportunity. Nickname? Could be the VICAR after the classic novel, The Vicar of WAKEFIELD by Oliver Goldsmith. Then we would have clerical mate for the REV (Neale Daniher)

Maybe it’s my well and truly lapsed Catholicism or growing up with too many saucy British comedies on the TV, but I don’t think too many AFL players would want to be known as “The Vicar”!

I’m going economic: “Mon”. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Storm Boy said:

I'm absolutely stoked that Andy Moniz-Wakefield will be making his debut this Friday against Brisbane. I wouldn't be surprised if he lines up on Zac Bailey and McVee will get Charlie Cameron. There has been plenty of discussion in the last few weeks that AMW should be making his debut soon and his hard work and persistence has paid off. 

Well done young man. 👏 

Yes it’d be excellent if some Demons players actually line up on opposition players instead of protecting a patch of grass and watching their so-called opponent take a mark thirty metres away. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Winners at last said:

image.jpeg.cddce503a8fccfc796e4f6b85745f81e.jpeg

I'm not happy with Steven May .

He really should shave those sideburns or get off the team.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

You can blame Nev Jetta, when he was leaving, after I had along with my partner been doing volunteering with the Club and  told him I was finishing with it as it was getting too much with work changes after COVID,  but wanted to do something else, he said sponsor one of the new kids, but don't pick the top draft picks, pick a kid you can watch develop and encourage them along the way. Hence why Nev is going to be a Senior Coach one day.

I love Nev. Hopefully he comes back after his learnings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Well done AMW!

Very happy to see so many players getting an opportunity this year!  We’ve got a glut of players on our list who have served a solid VFL apprenticeship and it’s great to see they’re finally getting their chance.

We need a mini-rebuild / refresh of the team and it’s exciting to see who will be part of it going forward.

Absolutely.  I think we've really flown under the radar with the mini rebuild and different strategies we have been putting in place this season.  I really hope it pays dividends next season with a bunch of young kids being aware of AFL standard & what they need to do to excel, allowing them to push themselves and their teammates to improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Someone suggested " amway" and it suits his name. I quite like it.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

13 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Love this a lot!

More blooding of talent which I'm all for. The regenerating of talent is super important, especially if we want to continue to remain competitive. 

Will be our 5th debutant for the year. We could have 8 players this week with less than 50 games experience and 10 under 24 years of age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Someone suggested " amway" and it suits his name. I quite like it.

An omen for Friday, then?...

It's party time!

• Clap 2