Please get off Clarry's back. Show some respect!

Afl media shape every round as being the only thing that matters - their aim is to get a weeks worth of material click bait articles. This week Port are a divided club and clarry should be dropped to VFL because he was given a hard tag I'm the absence of Petracca.  

All of that 'analysis' is short sighted and unhelpful. 

Next week the story will be that the lions lost the game when opted to tag Viney and Oliver got off the chain ⛓️ 🙌 

• Like 5

No-one worth their salt on this board is trying to disrespect Clayton Oliver. We all know what he's given us and we all know what he's been through. We don't know what is happening internally but on the other hand we can only judge on what we see on the field and the fact is that his performance is not what it was. But all this 'don't mention the war' talk and people not being able to criticise is madness.

Yes there is a trade thread on here discussing trade situations, this is meant to be pure hypothetical and an emotion free zone. If you can't handle this then I strongly suggest you stay out of that thread. 

I do have sympathy for Clayton and absolutely want to give him a chance to get back to his best, he doesn't have the breakaway speed at the moment and I still occasionally wonder about that hand and if it's impacting his ability to get quick handballs off cleanly. Then there is the mental side that we don't know about, confidence and belief can't be turned on like a tap. These things are a given, the fact of the matter is that he has gone from being an untaggable mid to someone who you can quiet easily if you sit on him and I don't need to tell all of you but the club needs to figure this out soon. He's been through the ringer but has credits in the bank, they've probably had no choice but to play him in games to build that fitness back and I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing good form towards the end of the year. 

We all love Clayton Oliver and want nothing but the best for him, but we also love freedom of speech and shouldn't be silencing people for making discussion. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

I’m firmly in Oliver’s corner.

If any club was even remotely interested in him, they must have some level of confidence that his form is going to bounce back. If that’s the case, the investment in making him better should be one we are prepared to undertake. There’s no trade that can offset losing the pre-2024 version of Clarry. If that version can return, it should solely be up to us to bring it back.

Think of how many have said on here that we traded Grundy and made an opponent better. Think about how those same people will react if Oliver gets back to his best at another club.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I don’t think you know much about culture if you think every player is tradable. Gawn?  I think not. 

His words not mine.

• Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

As Paul Roos once said, "Every player is tradable"

If the right player and offer was there for us then I have no doubt the club would look at it.

No one is going to take the lengthy contract hovering above his head but.

I don’t think he said that as a general rule. I think he said that specifically in reference to our list at the end of 2014.

And if he did say it as a general rule, let’s be honest - it’s rubbish.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/443933/paul-roos-says-every-demon-is-tradeable

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

The media should STFU.

Clarrie has demons but he’s one of our demons. The effort he has put in to show support to others and positivity this season should be applauded.

• Love 2
  • Clap 1

No time to be making rash decisions. Plenty of credits in the bank. Get a proper preseason under his belt before making a decision on his future. 

That said, if the opportunity arose, I’d definitely consider swapping him for Charlie curnow. 

• Thinking 1

11 hours ago, deanox said:

One thing I saw on the weekend was his genuine joy and celebration when Petty kicked that goal. It was over the top joy and celebration and spoke to me of a player (Oliver) who genuinely cared about his teammate (Petty) who he knew had been struggling for form. It wasn't about the game situation it was about Petty.

That's an important aspect of buying in to the team. And it's good to see that while his form is down.

Maybe he does move on to get a fresh start but I hope he stays and returns to his best. It's been a joy to watch him so far in his career.

In the highlights you can see he gets to Petty after the mark telling him to (I assume) take his time, do his routine or whatever and then as you point out is in there celebrating after Petty kicks the goal - shows that even though he’s got his own issues he’s got genuine care for his teammates and is trying to help them out. 

Obviously has or had some off field issues, played with a broken finger for a month, is having a down year but he isn’t Robinson Crusoe there. He’ll be back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Clarry is an awesome player and just as much of the fabric of the Dees as a Trac or Viney or Gawn.  If he left he'd take some of the soul of the club with him.  He is amazing and needs time and yes I agree, get off his back, he is a champion and deserves the time to get himself back to what he's capable of without keyboard warriors giving him a hard time...not that he's probably reading any of it but still, on the off chance he is it would be pretty ordinary.

Clayton Oliver is a champ and one of our best players, like any human you take the good times with the bad, won't get far in life without doing that.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Wish this extended to opposition fans at games, some of the things I've heard have been deplorable. 

• Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

14 hours ago, monoccular said:

Thanks Bobby.

Yes, he is really struggling this season, and it isn’t clear what should be done to help him and thus help the team, the supporters and the club.

I agree 100% though that bagging him relentlessly can only make it all worse. 
❤️💙❤️💙❤️💙

What mono said.  Good post by BM.

This year looks to be a bit roached now for Clazz so anything that resembles a fair game is probably where he's at.

Anything above that is a nice bonus.

Him & Vines alone were never going to be able to cover the loss of Gus and now Tracc on their lonesome all season anyway.

Rapt to finally see Rivers in the middle now though.  Keep going with that and also Sparrow more time as he just looks more at home there than a starting HF.  Yep he can drift and push into the 50 after CBs but i wouldn't have him starting across the forward square.

• Like 2

Clarrie is one of the best players I've seen at Melbourne in my 45 years and wish him nothing but the best going forward.

I really hope he can get back to his best AND become a leader of the team.

If not, I really hope we can renegotiate that contract.

• Shocked 1

Clarry has put together 7 of the greatest seasons ever by a Demon.

Whatever he is going through we must support him. He deserves that and more

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's been quoted as using this same philosophy at the Swans when he had the likes of Goodes, Hall, Kirk, Micky O etc.

I'm also a big believer in this. Every player has a price and a trade capital. I think a genuine fresh start could actually benefit him similar to how Jesse Hogan is reaping those benefits. 

It won't happen though, no one will touch his contract.

I may be wrong but the swans did't trade any of those players....there are words and the there are actions.

• Like 1

Plenty of credits in the bank and a key part of our drought breaking flag. Committed to the club long term when he could've looked elsewhere. Having a poor year by his lofty standards but I have confidence this is related more to his lack of preseason than any personal issues. Get a full preseason in and he will come back fit and firing in 2025 as the player we know he can be.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, D Rev said:

Clarrie is one of the best players I've seen at Melbourne in my 45 years and wish him nothing but the best going forward.

I really hope he can get back to his best AND become a leader of the team.

If not, I really hope we can renegotiate that contract.

Think one Robert Flower might want a word about that.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, OutOfTheCentre21 said:

I'm all aboard the 'Clayton Back to His Best in 2025' Train. Choo Choo.

I would be devastated to lose him and then he returns to form. We need to stick by him longer. 

How long is longer 

He has 6 years to run and looks to be a shadow 

Hope he comes good soon 

• Facepalm 1

Kindly remind me of another Demon who has this record since 1964. I'm sure I have overlooked someone! In fact, as limited as I am, I can't think of any other player across the competition that has this sort of Resume in the most recent quarter century. Silly me, I'm sure there are heaps... but I bet my bottom dollar, the supporters of those other teams weren't/aren't debating whether to offload their champions!

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 8
  • Love 4
  • Clap 2

8 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Kindly remind me of another Demon who has this record since 1964. I'm sure I have overlooked someone! In fact, as limited as I am, I can't think of any other player across the competition that has this sort of Resume in the most recent quarter century. Silly me, I'm sure there are heaps... but I bet my bottom dollar, the supporters of those other teams aren't debating whether to offload their champions!

i don't think there's anyone who doubts that he's been a star but did he REALLY win the longest kick in 2019? our clarry?!??

if we were to let him go then we'd want a small fortune for it, and based upon the season so far and his behaviour since his hamstring injury mid 2023 he's not been quite the same

we desperately need him to be

• Like 1

All the club's decisions should be made with the aim to maximise the number of premierships we win in perpetuity. 

Everyone agrees that Clarrie has been a superstar, but we need to make decisions going forward.

Can Oliver, with his mental health issues and about to turn 27, come back to be worth the six year $1m+ contract? And will he be a good example to our younger players?

Personally, I think it is a bigger risk to keep him than to trade him if we can get another club to pay his salary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 2

Top 3 Dees in my lifetime.  Always felt this year was more about getting through it in a positive mindset and back to AFLFA Champion status in 2025.  Can't have the preseason he had a deliver to the same elite level we have been so lucky to witness.  

Everyone in their Life has Ups and Downs Last Sat NIGHT he tried his guts out .

If I was the Coach i would have him play more Deep Forward  still contest Centre Bounces but go Forward we Forget he is a Beautiful Mark and tackler give him a chance to bet more effective and not burn off energy also I think he would benefit Bailey Fritch they could cause havoc together

But we all Know the coach wont try different things but Miracles happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1