Trade Targets 2025

5 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Hearing another well known Norm Smith medallist is soon to announce his retirement before catching up with Michael Voss for a coffee on Lygon Street 👀 

Not sure if serious but trac would have to sit out the year and then enter the draft in 2025 if he went down this route.

• Haha 1

On 15/07/2024 at 23:22, Brenno said:

Although things seem to have turned a corner lately, this year has highlighted to me how little depth we seem to have through the center of the ground. Which, in my opinion is the most important part of a modern day AFL list. I feel we need to bolster our midfield ASAP and believe this year there are several high potential targets out there for us to look at. I don’t want anymore 26+ year old rejects from other clubs, as I feel that sets us back to in our age demographic and I think we need to re-energize the list with some youth.  I feel we should be targeting high potential youngsters that are for whatever reason struggling to break into their current sides or cannot get game time in their preferred position.

I understand we need other positions filling as well, but if we can snag 2-3 off this list and keep our first rounder this year, I think we would have done very well.

Tier 1

Ben Hobbs

Down the pecking order at Essendon but has the potential to be an outstanding player. He can’t get a decent run at it in the Dons midfield which is his best position.  I love the way he attacks the ball, has a touch of class and can hit the scoreboard if pushed forward. The Dons midfield still has Parish out injured with Tsatas and Setterfeild as further options so he may look elsewhere. We should be in his ear and try to lure him over with opportunities to play in the guts on a more regular basis.

Angus Sheldrick.

Clearance machine and unlikely to get a run at his best role anytime soon as the Sydney’s midfield is an embarrassment of riches. Been injured most of the year but would be a walk up start in a lot of midfields when healthy IMO. I get young Jack Viney vibes off him, and his ceiling is yet to be shown at AFL level.  Another we could potentially grab on the cheap and he is excess to the swans needs.

Bailey Humphrey

Most of us here are aware of Bailey as I believe we went hard to try and trade up to snag him in his draft year. He wants to play midfield but is stuck playing forward full time which is a waste of his talent IMO. With the absolute hoard of mids at GC he may not get a look in for many years. If we can get into his ear about coming home and offer the chance to get midfield time, he may just be gettable. He is only in his second year but I can see Petracca like qualities in this kid. Would be an absolute coup if we could land him, but we got to be in it to win it.

Tier 2

Josh Ward

Looked like an absolute future star in his first 2 years but has been down this year and pushed out of the side due to Worpel, Day, Newcombe and bizarrely Connor Nash taking almost all midfield rotations. They have tried him on the wing, but it just doesn’t suit him. He would add some class to our mid-mix and has an elite kick inside 50. The only knock I have he that he doesn’t relish contact like he needs to, but he is still young and has an extremely high ceiling. Down on confidence at the moment, but the kid can play! It would be a buy low type of trade that could pay off big time.

Neil Erasmus

Absolutely dominates the midfield at WAFL level, but with the young gun midfield at Freo it seems inevitable he will be on the move at season’s end. The former pick 10 is a Big bodied mid and only 20 years old. Not the best user of the ball, but hey, either is Viney, Clatty, Sparrow etc. He has never really been given a chance to prove himself in the guts at Freo, but the potential is there. Potential bargain if we can get him on the cheap.

Luke Pedlar

I don’t understand the way the crows have handled this bloke. Yes, his body has often let him down so far in his career, but Nicks almost exclusively plays him forward in a team that really struggles to move the ball cleanly, or he is stuck in the 2s. On the few occasions Luke has got some center bounces attendances, he has shown some serious talent and some very nice and rare attributes. He is not a huge build but goes very very hard at the ball and man. If he can get his body right, I see him as an explosive, tough and skilled Mid/Fwd with huge potential upside.

Tier 3

Alex Davies.

Not the same level of player as the formerly mentioned but would cost basically nothing and would certainly add to our midfield mix. 191cm midfielder and still only 22. Gold Coast have solid midfield depth at the moment and he is right on the cusp of getting regular game time. Works hard and cracks in. Would be a could get IMO. He is rough and raw but there is a lot to like in his game. A late 3rd or 4th rounder could get it done.

Henry Hustwaite

This kid has class, skill and that elite “Pendlebury” awareness in his game. Has played a few games this year at AFL level and while he didn’t star, he showed signs and potential. Hawk midfield is deep at the moment, and he is back in the pecking order. I don’t think the Hawks would want to lose him and it would at least be worth putting out the feelers.

Jaxon Binns

More of an outside type, Binns racks it up in the VFL and has shown he is above the level. The Midfield at the blues is stacked both inside and out so his chances to play seniors have been extremely limited. Probably not any chance of becoming a center bounces player so would be lower on my priority list but the kid can play and would be an upgrade on Laurie or billings. A late pick should get it done and he would most likely offer more than a 3rd round kid in the draft will.  

Elijah Tsatas

Another ball magnet and high-end draft pick rotting away in the 2’s for Essendon. His kicking is suspect at times but he works hard and can find the pill with ease. If he can put on some size and tidy up his disposal, he would be a very handy AFL level mid. Huge upside if he keeps improving and wouldn’t cost the world IMO

Still interested in basically all of the young guns on this list. But I am now extra keen on Josh Ward. Proved on the weekend that when he gets to play in his preferred spot he has potential to be an A grade player.

22 Disposal (8 contested) and 9 Tackles from only 64% TOG. 

Had the most tackles on the ground and looks to have improved his physicality.  With Will Day and McKenzie clearly the preferred options but out injured, he may be open to a club change. 

Secondly, With the new Dusty bombshell, we MUST knock on the door of GC for young Humphries. unlikely he will break into that midfield anytime soon and is wasted playing full time forward pocket. 

In: Ward, Humphries, Pick 5 (gun Mid). 

This would be a huge boost for not only our midfield but the overall youth and excitement surrounding the club. I don't no about you all, but seeing Ward, Humphries, Smillie/O'Sullivan joining current youth would make me super excited for round 1 

This youth added to our current vets sets us up for the long haul but also allows us to compete now. 

Midfeild Group 2025: Trac, Oliver Viney, Rivers, Ward, Humphries, Pick 5. Plus the occasional cameo from Kozzy, Windsor,  Mcvee & Kolt. 

Edited by Brenno
  • Thinking 1

Angus Sheldrick.  Make sure his management know we are coming for him at end of 2025. Five year deal on the table.   As per some experts prior comments… 

Angus Sheldrick. 

Clearance machine and unlikely to get a run at his best role anytime soon as the Sydney’s midfield is an embarrassment of riches. Been injured most of the year but would be a walk up start in a lot of midfields when healthy IMO. I get young Jack Viney vibes off him, and his ceiling is yet to be shown at AFL level.  Another we could potentially grab on the cheap and he is excess to the swans needs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Angus Sheldrick.  Make sure his management know we are coming for him at end of 2025. Five year deal on the table.   As per some experts prior comments… 

Angus Sheldrick. 

Clearance machine and unlikely to get a run at his best role anytime soon as the Sydney’s midfield is an embarrassment of riches. Been injured most of the year but would be a walk up start in a lot of midfields when healthy IMO. I get young Jack Viney vibes off him, and his ceiling is yet to be shown at AFL level.  Another we could potentially grab on the cheap and he is excess to the swans needs.

Why on earth would you offer a 5 year deal to a current depth player who hasn't shown much at AFL level.

You really do say some odd things at this time of the year SON..

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Angus Sheldrick. 

He can certainly play! Would love him in the red a blue if possible. Not sure  5 years is necessary but maybe a 3+2 option deal....I would much rather chase players like this than old past it delisted players like Seb Ross, jack martin etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brenno said:

Still interested in basically all of the young guns on this list. But I am now extra keen on Josh Ward. Proved on the weekend that when he gets to play in his preferred spot he has potential to be an A grade player.

I agree they're both great young players full of potential, but not sure how those Ins work in the real world.

Ward was pick 7 in 2021 and is now starting to flourish at an up and coming Hawks. He's contracted for next year. Humphries was pick 6 in 2022 and signed a contract extension to be locked away until end of 2028. He's shown he will be a star in time as he builds his fitness to play midfield for more minutes. 

Both are pillars of their clubs future midfields. They would both command a first round pick for a trade if their clubs let them go. Where do we get the capital to trade for either of them without giving up our pick 5?

• Like 7

@dazzledavey36 I agree a 5 year term for Sheldrick is a stretch but if you are going to attract talent from other clubs, you have to be gutsy with $ and term.  That was more my angle.  Hawks apparently offering 6 year deals to Battle and Barrass to attract them.  

18 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@dazzledavey36 I agree a 5 year term for Sheldrick is a stretch but if you are going to attract talent from other clubs, you have to be gutsy with $ and term.  That was more my angle.  Hawks apparently offering 6 year deals to Battle and Barrass to attract them.  

Barrass and Battle are both proven AFL players. Sheldrick is not, although I would like to see us go after him.

• Clap 1

3 hours ago, Brenno said:

22 Disposal (8 contested) and 9 Tackles from only 64% TOG. 

Had the most tackles on the ground and looks to have improved his physicality.  With Will Day and McKenzie clearly the preferred options but out injured, he may be open to a club change. 

Secondly, With the new Dusty bombshell, we MUST knock on the door of GC for young Humphries. unlikely he will break into that midfield anytime soon and is wasted playing full time forward pocket. 

This would be a huge boost for not only our midfield but the overall youth and excitement surrounding the club. I don't no about you all, but seeing Ward, Humphries, Smillie/O'Sullivan joining current youth would make me super excited for round 1 

This youth added to our current vets sets us up for the long haul but also allows us to compete now. 

Midfeild Group 2025: Trac, Oliver Viney, Rivers, Ward, Humphries, Pick 5. Plus the occasional cameo from Kozzy, Windsor,  Mcvee & Kolt. 

Sorry, how are we getting two former first rounders, plus keeping our pick 5?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes you're offering that amount of dollars  and years to attract quality talent that have consolidated themselves at AFL level not a depth VFL player that is similar player to Bailey Laurie and has kicked 1 goal at VFL level this year.

You can still attract by offering him a 2-3 year deal with a moderate pay perhaps.

Edited by dazzledavey36

5 hours ago, Brenno said:

He can certainly play! Would love him in the red a blue if possible. Not sure  5 years is necessary but maybe a 3+2 option deal....I would much rather chase players like this than old past it delisted players like Seb Ross, jack martin etc. 

Of course. Everyone wants to get undervalued young players.

Were probably losing Brayshaw, Brown, Schacke, Smith, ANB, Tomlinson, Hunter. 7 players.

We will have Pick 5, Pick 25 (ANB), Sydney's second round pick and then a few picks of little value.

I don't want to have to look at delisted players either but it's a reality. We either give up a player of value or a draft pick of value to obtain a decent young player from another club.

Free agents would be fantastic, but we don't seem to ever get those ones.

• Like 1

Peatling says he’s staying. Davies signed on.

How’s the young midfielders list going:

Riley Garcia
Ted Closehy
Jack Carroll (WA bound)?
Ben Hobbs (contracted)
Finn Macrae (contracted)
Thomson Dow
Jai Culley 

Feels like we’ve got to get one of them unless we’re getting a quality name or have some secret state league gems.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FrothiesLiam said:

Jake Ricciardi worth a look? 

Alex Cincotta out of favour at carlton 

Hobbs/tsatas not getting game time at bombers 

Glad someone has finally brought up Riccardi.. it's an absolute yes from me! This one I feel like has gone under the radar especially as his form fell out towards the back end of the year.

Has played 19 games for 26 goals and is still only 24 years of age. Has the connection with Mark Williams and a massive upgrade on Petty.

Only thing is he's contracted until 2026.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Glad someone has finally brought up Riccardi.. it's an absolute yes from me! This one I feel like has gone under the radar especially as his form fell out towards the back end of the year.

Has played 19 games for 26 goals and is still only 24 years of age. Has the connection with Mark Williams and a massive upgrade on Petty.

Would definitely ask the question of Riccardi and was disappointed when he re-signed with them

Plus it doesn’t hurt that he’s ex Werribee   

On that note I seriously hope Goody is getting down to their Prelim today, they’ve been such an impressive side this year and have some great footballers (Mannagh and Clohsey to name a couple)

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Agree with Riccardi. It’s a shame we could not grab him when he was starrung in the VFL.  

There is plenty of absolute “yes” players to be named. Could name a dozen more easily.  Of course their contract status (contracted) and then attracting them is the issue.  Even out of contract players are not attracted to MFC now.  

Thats what makes the Tom Barrass switch to the Hawks so interesting.  He’s contracted at eagles until 2027 yet the hawks are now likely to get him in for next year.  They must have a big $$$ contract and long term contract in his face.