PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

just as well it's only may, eh

let's see how we're going in september

Personally if we don't win a final it will be a failure of a year and I'll be calling for Goodwin's head.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Kneejerk, or remove the knee?

I guess they do that because they, the professionals, feel that "coming back through Casey" does not prepare them properly.

defenders surely cannot just leave their opponent or position in the defensive unit, to do a bit of ruck work.

So who, other than Max, in your plan, will relieve Max?

You won't go to the footy because Billings is playing?  Sorry WERRIDEE, but what sort of true supporter of our beloved footy club and team doesn't attend because a particular player is selected?  Are you serious?

I'm serious the only way you can affect the team is voting with your feet. If your not happy with the footy club turn away at your droves. 2 players who I hope never play for the club again are Billings and Schache if they play a game again I'm not going, I'm watching them on the couch.

• Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, Dingo said:

Clarry had his wake up call at the beginning of the year when he was told to [censored] off and train by herself.

I must have missed something here. 

Clarry is now Clarice?

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Is this the same bloke I heard had Bailey Dale rated in the top 3 players in the competition? His and his silly stats opinions are irrelevant 

Edited by The Swimming Dee

1 hour ago, Demonsone said:

Great to see Petracca laughing on how he couldn’t catch Reid on afl 360 

he was actually catching him, just off balance when pushed off and seemed to be expecting someone else to stop him.

when he saw he was away he chased , made up ground but not enough to affect a tackle or stop the kick.

Goodwin does seem to have so much faith in the process that he doesnt employ taggers. Might be something he considers when opposition teams match up with depth in mid field 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'm serious the only way you can affect the team is voting with your feet. If your not happy with the footy club turn away at your droves. 2 players who I hope never play for the club again are Billings and Schache if they play a game again I'm not going, I'm watching them on the couch.

I must have missed some full moon crazy solstice thing again.

Seriously, settle down.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Clarry is the number 1 problem in the midfield. He is unfit and should be dropped. You saying he shouldn't has justified my calling but don't worry gutless Goodwin won't drop him he never makes many changes it will be van Rooyen and Langdon in Brown and Lever out. Which means I won't be going to the footy because Billings will be playing. We drop this game I'm calling for Goodwin's head.

Presuming you’ve calmed down sufficiently, can you do something for me, can you re-read your post (above) then convince me that you’re not three years old. Geez Louise, talk about a toddler tanty 😂

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'm serious the only way you can affect the team is voting with your feet. If your not happy with the footy club turn away at your droves. 2 players who I hope never play for the club again are Billings and Schache if they play a game again I'm not going, I'm wosome as well my friend. BUT I agree with you totally. watching them on the couch.

Regrettably, BBB is in that twosome as well my friend.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Can we trial Tommo fwd?

Can't be any worse than Bbb or Petty. I don't mean to be taking shots at them as but something needs to give

He played as a forward with GWS for a few years early on and never really established himself here.

I'm not adverse to the 'idea' Deevs but i reckon that experiment would need to be trialled via Casey for a good block of games first.

See how he fares and go from there.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Can we trial Tommo fwd?

Can't be any worse than Bbb or Petty. I don't mean to be taking shots at them as but something needs to give

I dunno, we've been bereft of options up forward numerous times and he doesn't come close to a look in. There has to be a reason.

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 22:13, whatwhat say what said:

If we’re going to play Laurie is has to be as a mid in place of Sparrow

He can’t be much worse of an option

He could if he turns it over as often as he does at Casey when playing through the middle.

Possibly worse given the additional pace and pressure around the ball at AFL level.

Also he would not effectively be replacing Sparrow's mid field role (this week anyway) as Sparrow did not play any minutes starting as a mid (at CBs) on Sunday.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

22 minutes ago, David-Demon said:

Regrettably, BBB is in that twosome as well my friend.

I still have respect for BBB because he is a premiership player but I admit he's cooked.

I've had a change of heart I'm not dropping Clarry I'm giving him another chance.

B: Petty, May, McVee

HB: Howes, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Sestan, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Pickett, Fritsch, McAdam

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Woewodin, Salem, Sparrow, Chandler

SUB: Tholstrup

EMERG: Laurie, Fullerton, Moniz-Wakefield

IN: Langdon, van Rooyen, Sestan, Tholstrup

OUT: Bowey (inj), Lever (inj), B. Brown (omitted), Billings (omitted)

Hopefully the news of Sestan debuting comes to fruition so Billings doesn't play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

45 minutes ago, Left Foot Snap said:

I must have missed some full moon crazy solstice thing again.

Seriously, settle down.

There are supposedly remnants of the Borealis storm still smacking into the atmosphere.

This can cause a temporary disturbance of Earth's magnetosphere and is known to effect the cognitive ability and clarity of its inhabitants.

I would therefore take no notice of any ramblings and rantings from usually sane D'land contributors this week as the G scale levels are no doubt off the charts.

This would also help explain the loss on Sunday.

The boys were obviously showing the effects of the solar storms, not unlike a bad case of sun stroke.

This solar syndrome is commonly referred to by scientists as a 'G stroke'.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I've had a change of heart I'm not dropping Clarry I'm giving him another chance.

B: Petty, May, McVee

HB: Howes, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Sestan, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Pickett, Fritsch, McAdam

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Woewodin, Salem, Sparrow, Chandler

SUB: Tholstrup

EMERG: Laurie, Fullerton, Moniz-Wakefield

IN: Langdon, van Rooyen, Sestan, Tholstrup

OUT: Bowey (inj), Lever (inj), B. Brown (omitted), Billings (omitted)

Hopefully the news of Sestan debuting comes to fruition so Billings doesn't play.

How magnanimous of you. 

• Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

just as well it's only may, eh

let's see how we're going in september

Yes because that's certainly been good to us of late eh..

Since 2021 we're 0-4.

The immense pressure we'll be under to win a finals game this year will be significant and we don't deal with pressure all that well.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Since 2021 we're 0-4.

The immense pressure we'll be under to win a finals game this year will be significant and we don't deal with pressure all that well.

Yep and we also (STILL) don't deal with expectations very well it seems.

I'd love to see the W L ratio in games where we are odds on fav to win like Sunday.

I doubt it would be very pretty.  There's still a problem in the upstairs dept alot of the time.

That shows in the way we open matches too.  Far too meek and mild.  There's no manic white line fever across the board of late with this group bar a few usual exceptions that comtinue to fly the flag.

The hunger for the attack and manic pressure for four quarters (across the board) is no longer happening for whatever reason.

A fair amount of complacency appears to have set in to this group so far this season which is a real worry.

Possibly the lack of depth on this list and pressure for positions in general?

Re-signing the likes of Schache, the failed Grundy experiment i(nstead of going after another quality mid) and extending fairly lengthy contracts to those who are barely just fringe players couldn't have helped surely.

To be fair we were cruelled with late season injuries in 2023 which derailed our finals campaign.

However the ruthlessness Goodwin preached (that was needed throughout the club) at the end of 2020 and became apparent through 21 and much of 22 & 23 doesn't feel all that apparent in 2024 for mine.  Not across the board anyway and for four quarters anyway.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

I was going off DD’s table in the stats file.. 

too much red ink we were thrashed at the ball Table shows how poor our on ballers were

16 hours ago, Fritta and Turner said:

In JVR, Langdon (provided he is over his jet lag)

Out Lever, BBB

Think we need another tall....

We have needed another tall for years the club seems incapable of finding one   Grundy should have worked for us 

Egos and low IQs got in the way If Schacke Fullerton Jefferson and Tomlinson are no good get them out and start  again 

Verrel is not the answer or he would be played its a complete mess 

@dpositive agreed. Goodwin does seem to have so much faith in the process that he doesnt employ taggers. 

its another reason (reason 4 I think) why we scratch our heads at Goodys lack of strategy.  He comments on how effective teams are on Trac or Clarry and having to adjust to put Trac forward (hardly amazing).  Why didn’t we tag Reid/Kelly like the pies did or tag Walsh.  Whilst we have midfield strength, it’s arrogance not to look to shutdown or restrict the opposition best mid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wowee,so much angst after 1 loss (a bad one no doubt)…or even based on the last 2 games.

im going to support the boys no matter who is picked.  They are my team regardless if i disagree (from my seat up in the stands) with selection.

We have some interesting scenarios to play out, a lot of upside to find, but we ain’t done yet…

GO Dees

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think Goodwin is single focused on any one week or even the 2024 season, i think his goal is implement a game style that's consistent and has us there abouts year in year out, and keeps us towards the pointy end as long as we can. 

On the weekend we had 

Kade Chandler (24)

Harry Petty (24)

Tom Sparrow (23)

Kozzie pickett (22)

Caleb Windsor (18)

Judd McVee (20)

Jake Bowey (21)

Trent Rivers (23)

Blake Howes (21)

Taj Woewodin (21)

I personally think it's pretty impressive when nearly 50% of our best 22 is 24 and under and we're playing at the level we are, it's a good indication that the team is not only going to be hard to beat now, but will continue to get better. 

Our profile, age wise wasn't too dissimilar to West Coast on the weekend, a lot of youth and some good senior players. 

Normally we'd also have Turner and Van Rooyen in the side, so as long as we're playing a team that's anywhere near the 50% mark in terms of youth, we will be at times inconsistent, we will have down days and they'll find it harder to handle the pressure of big games and moments than senior players will, this is clearly a conscious decision by the footy department to go down the live re-set path. 

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ok that’s the age profile.  Has anyone done a number of games list,  

and if players are only making up numbers at Casey. Why are they on our list. 

most  second hand players are that for a reason .  

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well in 2022-23 we were flying along nicely at this time of the year before injuries and poor goalkicking cost us

We are still four months away from the business end of the year 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yep and we also (STILL) don't deal with expectations very well it seems.

I'd love to see the W L ratio in games where we are odds on fav to win like Sunday.

I doubt it would be very pretty.  There's still a problem in the upstairs dept alot of the time.

I don't agree with this DD. Since the start of 2021 we haven't lost many games at all when odds on and posted as such prior to the Eagles game. And as @binman alluded to a few days ago no team has won more games than us since the start of 2021 meaning we've won games we "should've".

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1