• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY: Rd 03 vs Port Adelaide

Across the 22 we are a much better team. I reckon the two excellent midfields will basically cancel each other out: we have the ball winning and spread while they have pace and flair.

It is on their turf, and it DOES make a difference.

If our forwards kick well, we win. Their defence continues to look thin. 

Can our team defence cover the size and bulk of Dixon?

Windsor, Fritsch and Kozzie to run amok.

Dees by 16

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Well done to everyone going to the game tonight. Pretty ground to watch the game as is the walk over the bridge to the ground. Wish I was there with you, putting those feral Port fans out of their misery when we pump them.

I will try my best to rile them up like i always do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

May went down in the first quarter of the Freo match and did not return.

We also lost to Sydney without him. 

While probably not the sole reason for both losses, in the main i would argue it's no coincidence that the winning streak ended with Freo and then Sydney without May down back.

Similar replacement needed pronto to cover for games like this week.

Yes, no doubt May getting subbed out in the first quarter had an impact in the Freo game, especially with Tom McDonald & Ed Langdon also out injured heading into that match. Having said that, Freo only kicked 2 goals to half time (only 1 in the 2nd quarter after May was subbed out). Fremantle dominated possession and kicked the last 10 goals of the match. Similarly, the Swans & Collingwood kicked the last 4 goals in those matches (Collingwood 6 out of the last 7, all in the last quarter) . Despite the poor finishes Freo only scored 94 points, with 61 of those coming in the last quarter and a half,  the Swans kicked 73 points, Collingwood 82 points. I would argue none of these loses were due to performance of our defence, just losing clearances and lack of pressure further up the field.

The same thing in the Opening Round this year. We were cooked in the last quarter, the Swans were dominant in the midfield and our pressure dropped off. And May was playing.

Don't get me wrong. May is a great player and of course we are a better team with him playing, but I think its simplistic to roll out win-loss stats as some sort of definitive proof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

In Alice in 2022. Kozzie kicked six. 

Played close to goal on that occasion and reaped the rewards.

Not long now till the start of Christmas for us Adelaide based Demons.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Hot in Adelaide today should be perfect weather for night footy, absolutely no excuses tonight.

May is a big loss but i believe with Petty going down back and Maxy playing a kick behind play  it shouldn't hinder us where winning is out of reach.

The small brigade and our marking around the ground will be 🔑 in a season shaping victory tonight.

Go you good things ❤️🩵

Always good to see us rocking the best away strip in league by a country mile.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, BigFez said:

Does anyone know our recent record without May in the side?  I have a mate who always tells me "No May no Melbourne" and has loaded up on Port.  I want to know if there's any truth to it.

2023 - he missed two games, for one win, one loss

2022 - he missed two games, both losses, and we also lost the game he was subbed out of.

2021 - he missed two games, both were wins, and we also won both games he was subbed out.

Long story short, if we win without May we win in September!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

2023 - he missed two games, for one win, one loss

2022 - he missed two games, both losses, and we also lost the game he was subbed out of.

2021 - he missed two games, both were wins, and we also won both games he was subbed out.

Long story short, if we win without May we win in September!

May's Hamstring in the GF was shot to bits couldn't jump, close down space to spoil, he was stationary and only useful in pack situations.

As a defensive unit like tonight relied on his teammates to get him through the game, we have enough quality to cover his absents.

We can do this tonight. 💪

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

3 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

A post for each of the two matches you’re about to experience? 😉

Enjoy both matches, Yiwaw4tA, (‘Yes’ for short? That took forever to type 😅).

Incidentally, I’ve long been guilty of bagging Adelaide (it’s just too easy), but this is the first time I’ve navigated anywhere on my own - every other time I’ve been with members of the DA from the moment I get off the plane. Thought I’d wear m’ big girl pants and be independent this time. Gotta say… it’s a dream to get around this place. For starters, a bus directly outside the airport that goes straight to the city(!) Everything is so close and easy to find here. Perfect for someone with absolutely no sense of direction. 👍🏽

Cut to me at 7pm in Glenelg, wherever that is, crying on the phone to the DA and them telling me to take deep breaths and someone will come get me (as they’ve had to do before). 😁

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

We've beaten two not outstanding sides and so have Port (Tiges and Eagles) so we'll learn something tonight.

True, but surely Western Bulldogs are a fair way ahead of Richmond, and similarly Hawthorn vs West Coast. 

26 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

This perception is at odds with mine. Tommo is in my experience usually out-bodied in one-on-one contests. A monster like Dixon for example, would have a field day with him. Tommo is strictly third defender material, especially since his knee injury.

Maybe you're right. Possibly that's why Melbourne haven't brought Tomlinson in this week and are relying on Petty and/or McDonald to do the job. In any case, Melbourne this year seem to be  adopting a different approach with an emphasis on smaller mobile defenders with ball skills rather than being too top-heavy. e.g. Blake Howes coming into the side. I think the Club is recognising that other clubs are responding to the May/Lever dominance by adopting different game styles.

22 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I reckon the Dogs are a class above Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn.

Agree. I think the significance of the win against the Dogs has been downplayed. Comfortable wins against the Bulldogs & Hawks way better than Port's ordinary wins agaist West Coast & Richmond. I'd even say Melbourne's loss to the Swans doesn't look so bad in retrospect. Conditions didn't suit us and yet sides even at 3/4 time.

10 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Across the 22 we are a much better team. I reckon the two excellent midfields will basically cancel each other out: we have the ball winning and spread while they have pace and flair.

It is on their turf, and it DOES make a difference.

If our forwards kick well, we win. Their defence continues to look thin. 

Can our team defence cover the size and bulk of Dixon?

Windsor, Fritsch and Kozzie to run amok.

Dees by 16

Yes, home ground advantage significant. Dixon will be a challenge, but we only need to break even. I believe our new more mobile defence should provide rebound. Port will need to ramp up pressure to match us. Can they? 

13 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

May's Hamstring in the GF was shot to bits couldn't jump, close down space to spoil, he was stationary and only useful in pack situations.

As a defensive unit like tonight relied on his teammates to get him through the game, we have enough quality to cover his absents.

We can do this tonight. 💪

Yes they can do it. 

The test is whether the FD can marshal the structure so they do.

Same next week. 

This is a big test  very early in the season. 

They need to win one at least and be in the game in the other at worst 

Perfect MFC weather:

No rain. No humidity. No wind. And with the temp not dropping below 22 degrees, no dew (dew point 7 degrees). 

No excuses.

Game time:

• 26.6 degrees
  • Light winds all evening
  • perfect
Edited by binman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

I just want to hear woohoo man

I believe he’s retired 😭

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Perfect MFC weather:

No rain. No humidity. No win. And with the temp not dropping below 22 degrees, no dew (dew point 7 degrees). 

No excuses.

Game time:

• 26.6 degrees
  • Light winds all evening
  • perfect

Typo, right? RIGHT???

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I’ve never been to a Power game at Adelaide oval but have a couple of mates who reckon their supporters at home games are the worst in the league. Are there any worse you’ve encountered WCW?

I'd believe it - they're the Collingwood of the SANFL but with more success to fuel their arrogance.

37 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Beg to differ on May’s performance/presence in the 2021 Grand Final. Definitely not a cardboard cutout, gave his fellow defenders and teammates a great deal of confidence. Had ‘Astroboy’ and his teammates totally bluffed. He was still standing 24 hours after the final siren.

• Like 3

I'll be watching the match at the Sporting Globe (Richmond version). Any other Demonlanders going there?

PS. I'll be easy to identify ... an old man with a Demons scarf.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Beg to differ on May’s performance/presence in the 2021 Grand Final. Definitely not a cardboard cutout, gave his fellow defenders and teammates a great deal of confidence. Had ‘Astroboy’ and his teammates totally bluffed. He was still standing 24 hours after the final siren.

Yep. May was more than serviceable in the GF, held his own very well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I’ve never been to a Power game at Adelaide oval but have a couple of mates who reckon their supporters at home games are the worst in the league. Are there any worse you’ve encountered WCW?

Visits to Victoria Park were ALWAYS most unpleasant; most threatening; most uncivilised; often dangerous from non-Filth fans' points of view. A trip to Adelaide Oval to watch Port is similarly coloured, yet to their credit, not as certain to lean towards fatalities. ('Carna Dees!' can still be a personal, hushed statement.)

5 hours ago, Newport34 said:

Game day baby. Pumped!

Would love to see Kozzie have a huge game against Port.

Go Dees!!!

SN 

SN, one of our reliable and talented heroes from the recent past. Loved his game play and relaxed style (talent). Wish we had an SN in the team today. Go Dees!

2 hours ago, Sydney_Demon said:

True, but surely Western Bulldogs are a fair way ahead of Richmond, and similarly Hawthorn vs West Coast. 

Maybe you're right. Possibly that's why Melbourne haven't brought Tomlinson in this week and are relying on Petty and/or McDonald to do the job. In any case, Melbourne this year seem to be  adopting a different approach with an emphasis on smaller mobile defenders with ball skills rather than being too top-heavy. e.g. Blake Howes coming into the side. I think the Club is recognising that other clubs are responding to the May/Lever dominance by adopting different game styles.

Agree. I think the significance of the win against the Dogs has been downplayed. Comfortable wins against the Bulldogs & Hawks way better than Port's ordinary wins agaist West Coast & Richmond. I'd even say Melbourne's loss to the Swans doesn't look so bad in retrospect. Conditions didn't suit us and yet sides even at 3/4 time.

Yes, home ground advantage significant. Dixon will be a challenge, but we only need to break even. I believe our new more mobile defence should provide rebound. Port will need to ramp up pressure to match us. Can they? 

Dixon will be physically spent by half-time. Go Dees!

2 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

The small brigade and our marking around the ground will be 🔑 in a season shaping victory tonight

The Demons' outcome of a smashing victory will depend heavily on the small brigade running Port ragged.  

• Like 1