AFL Mid-Season Draft 2024

3 minutes ago, JJJ said:

What happened with McLean? Did Bevo do a number on him too?

Yeh, he had injuries.  Got back to good form in the VFL and a few AFL games last year then was delisted. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 28/05/2024 at 11:32, ChaserJ said:

Thoughts on Kentfield @Pennant St Dee?

Love Luka as a competitor hard as nails and would run through brick walls for you. Lateral movement and pace aren’t strengths, which I think may effect him at AFL level but he is only 18, could he be a Miochek, possibly in a few years.

Seen him play against my oldest all the way through junior footy and they played cricket together as juniors super kid who comes from a good well grounded family

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Demon 16 said:

I’m not sure that Rhys Mathieson would pass the relevant testing protocols any more..

IMG_5396.jpeg.98edc0745aa7c94365a442ed9ef42e8f.jpeg

That is something called Tren 💉 🤣🤣

• Like 2

A ready made big forward please who can hold his marks and kick goals.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

As much as El-hawli is exciting 

is he really what we need out of him, Voss and Howe?

Yeah, he is - a small coming in and able to play a role defensively and at ground level is far more likely to appear at afl level than a speculative tall

• Like 5

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

Yeah, he is - a small coming in and able to play a role defensively and at ground level is far more likely to appear at afl level than a speculative tall

I definitely get your view.

I’d prefer either of the other two 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Our MFC listed youngsters at Casey are “fillers” In my view in the midfield.  Sestan will not be a midfielder.  He is a smart goalkicking player. That’s his future role.  Laurie is a small forward like Spargo.  They are not AFL potential mids.  Given the loss of our depth, Harmes, Jordon, Dunstan, Munro and Gus as a first rate mid, we need to restock.  We have young talls and mid sized flankers both front and back.  We need more ball winners and midfield runners. We are lucky our midfield depth hasn’t been tested and we’re healthy right now. I’d get a young midfielder in as our mid year draft pick. 

Would / should we be looking at Collier-Dawkins at all NS?

I've only seen his match against us but he was pretty impressive.

Probably others before us that will be into him though

• Like 1

Any chance we will pass? A recruit through mid season may play at Casey until the end of the year to learn systems, etc build a suitable engine and a body of work to warrant selection.  It a bit of the ‘bus stop of desperation’, unless we can access a kid who we missed at the real draft and think has what we need next year or beyond.

59 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

All roads lead to El Hawli if he hasn't been selected before our pick. 

I hear Collingwood are also quiet keen on him and they have a pick before us.

• Sad 1

On 28/05/2024 at 11:03, old55 said:

I agree we're missing Dunstan and Moose there but I don't think we want to burn list spaces on that. We need Casey to list them.

Your priorities are misguided Recruiting in the MSD is not for Casey in the short term but MFC either short or long term depending upon needs. Daniel Turner was sort of both  terms and most others have been short term. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Superunknown said:

How does the order get calculated for the MSD? Ought not we be before them?

The ladder. Freo’s unlikely comeback might hurt us here

19 minutes ago, 58er said:

Your priorities are misguided Recruiting in the MSD is not for Casey in the short term but MFC either short or long term depending upon needs. Daniel Turner was sort of both  terms and most others have been short term. 

I think you need to re-read my post.

Posted (edited)

Obviously the club works through available players for current and future needs.  They’d assess our current 2024 squad and see how it might need boosting with additional player that 1/could fill a spot if we hit injuries or 2/ add to an area where the current group is thin or ageing or 3/ be a wildcard pick to bring some extra to the squad.  

Thought I’d do a list assessment to see where our structure sits right now  

key defenders: May, tmcd*, Tomlinson (Adams) 

tall defenders: Lever, D.Turner, Hore. JS29#

med/sml/running defenders: Rivers, Bowey, Salem, Mcvee, Howes (ANW)

inside Mids: Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Sparrow, Laurie, Tholstrup

outside Mids: Langdon, Windsor, Woey jnr, Hunter 

key forwards: JVR, Petty*, Schache,  BBB, Fullerton (Jefferson) 

tall forwards: Fritsch, Melksham (Sestan) 

small forwards: ANB, Pickett, Chandler, McAdam , Spargo

Rucks: Gawn (Verrell) (Farris-White) 

Maybe there is a thought that our key forward stock looks vulnerable if Petty takes up the Crows football/golf lifestyle combo.  Can see why youngster like Kentfield (whilst raw) is being considered.  I’d like another young true mid to supplement our squad.  Wait and see. 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
L
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 28/05/2024 at 08:17, MrFreeze said:

It's very clear at VFL level we are missing 1 or 2 big bodies around the ball after the retirements of Dunstan and Moose. Extra support at VFL level will help our younger players grow and will improve Casey overall.

But surely we shouldn't be looking to draft for our Casey team. Whoever takes up an AFL list spot, should be expected to break into the AFL 23, rather than provide depth to our reserves side.

Edited by Binmans PA
Derps, answered by Old.
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

I hope someone picks up Kobe Ryan from West Adelaide. A tall mid, good skills and hard as nails and dare say would be the best player in the SANFL ATM.

• Clap 1

25 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

maybe Cox injury moves there needs elsewhere??/

Yep, a bit in afl.com.au that they may need to take Teakle. I suppose it's whether they think he'll be available later on