• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melksham set to play on in 2024

dazzledavey36

We're only "exploiting" the rookie list because it's called a "rookie list". If it was called a supplementary list, no-one would blink an eyelid. For what it's worth, I like the original idea of having a rookie list for young players only (eg,  under the age of, say, 21) or for what's now classified as Category B.   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Can't the 12 teams below us have a shot at Melksham in the rookie draft before us?

I think the way it works is he is now a Delsited Free Agent' and doesn't need to nominate for the rookie draft.  We sign him as a DFA

Any club can sign him as a DFA; just as North swooped on Greenwood a few years ago when GCS delisted him to then rookie him.  Caught GCS unawares. 

I very much doubt Melksham would want to join another club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, hemingway said:

You can look at it 2 ways. First, the media hate us and are out to get us line. We know the journos bias for their own teams and their dislike of Melb. At the same time, the club and its players and officials have given them lots of material.  Our attitudes are influenced by our own bias. Second, an alternative view is that despite the “bad press”, we clearly are an important club. We do matter. Our history, recent successes, growing membership, and playing list full of A graders means we can’t be ignored. Don’t forget our glory years of the 50s and 60s brought unparalleled success and unparalleled hatred from other clubs and their supporters. For 100 years Collingwood has drawn great strength from being a hated club. So maybe we should embrace the hatred and like the Pies stand loud and proud. 
And ignore the footy media scribes. Perhaps feel sorry for anyone who has to trawl the gutter to maintain their profile, keep a job, be universally disliked and perhaps feel occasional shame in belonging to the footy media. Doesn’t do much for their CV and future career prospects. 

Totally agree Ernest. We obviously haven't been successful for a long, long time or we'd be used to this "tall poppy syndrome". Expect this behaviour while we are successful and wear it as a badge of honour. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I think the way it works is he is now a Delsited Free Agent' and doesn't need to nominate for the rookie draft.  We sign him as a DFA

Any club can sign him as a DFA; just as North swooped on Greenwood a few years ago when GCS delisted him to then rookie him.  Caught GCS unawares. 

Delisted free agency occurring now is for the main list.

For players to go on to the rookie list they must either be taken in the rookie draft or in the case of delisted players they can sit out the drafts and sign as supplemental selection players after the draft.

But you can't be delisted and then relisted in the SSP by the same club unless you've nominated for the draft. So in Melksham's case he has to nominate for the draft. Meaning we may as well draft him and get him back on the list rather than waiting another week or so for the SSP window.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Can't the 12 teams below us have a shot at Melksham in the rookie draft before us?

17 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

15 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Delisted free agency occurring now is for the main list.

For players to go on to the rookie list they must either be taken in the rookie draft or in the case of delisted players they can sit out the drafts and sign as supplemental selection players after the draft.

But you can't be delisted and then relisted in the SSP by the same club unless you've nominated for the draft. So in Melksham's case he has to nominate for the draft. Meaning we may as well draft him and get him back on the list rather than waiting another week or so for the SSP window.

@Bring-Back-Powell  I was incorrect, we cannot sign him as a DFA but all other clubs can do so and put him onto their senior list.

Dee Spencer is correct he needs to go into the Rookie Draft so technically clubs below us can draft him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Little chance of another club signing him. He's undergoing ACL rehab for a significant part of 2024. Any setback and he wont play a single game. Weve invited him to stay because he has currency whereas he doesnt anywhere else.

The  only club stupid enough to try and grab him from us would be Freo. That club is run by halfwits.

• Like 1

I hope he can return from injury asap. His 23 form turnaround was remarkable and I think we would have gone close to winning a flag had he not been injured in the game before our prelim. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Even if a club chose to draft him, it doesn't mean he would agree to play with them. He might choose to retire instead. It's similar to the Greenwood situation in that he would only be drafted if he and that club had already agreed to contract terms.

Greenwood also was fit to play. Not sure many clubs will take Melksham knowing that they'll likely get less than 10 games from him.

• 3 weeks later...

Please excuse my ignorance but despite reading as much as I can on DL about drafting/recruitment/list management I still struggle to understand how things work. I’ll continue striving to understand it but in the meantime I was hoping someone could reassure me that no matter what happens, Melks will be with us in 2024.

Please. And thanks in advance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Please excuse my ignorance but despite reading as much as I can on DL about drafting/recruitment/list management I still struggle to understand how things work. I’ll continue striving to understand it but in the meantime I was hoping someone could reassure me that no matter what happens, Melks will be with us in 2024.

Yes he is on the Rookie list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

WCW he is on the sponsorship list!!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

WCW he is on the sponsorship list!!!!

Of course! I totally forgot about that. 

• Like 2

On 02/10/2023 at 18:57, Garbo said:

I’d feel much better if we were doing something towards improving our list. At an absolute best this is status quo 

His forward pressure was certainly an area you could criticise him for, but he seemed to address that this year.

He is also, probably, the smartest forward we have with the best natural instincts and "forward craft".

Having Melk working with the young forwards while he is in rehab will certainly improve our list. I would have looked at signing him in a forward-coach role if he didn't decide to play on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2023 at 12:58, Ethan Tremblay said:

Good on ya Melk, I’m rather happy about this. I also wonder if they used a dead-man’s achilles tendon to replace the ACL? Apparently it’s becoming the go-to ACL repair method in athletes over 30. 

Can we nominate who we get to kill for their achilles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 02/11/2023 at 12:52, Ouch! said:

Greenwood also was fit to play. Not sure many clubs will take Melksham knowing that they'll likely get less than 10 games from him.

I'd be happy if we got UP TO 10 games from him - as long as they were all high impact / high importance games like 2023.

I dare say his value in 2024 will be as much with working with the kids as it will on the field.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poita said:

I still can't work out why, if we didn't have a contract in front of Jake when he was fit and playing well, we suddenly decided to give him a contract after did his knee. Good luck to him, but this seems like a waste of a list spot to me.

Think hard about it....

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Keeping that theme in mind i would not blame the MFC if they reached out to all our players, mainly the younger ones, and pointed out to them about the Media, and their endeavours to get a scoop, play gotcha and all the other dirty little tricks to get unnecessary and unwarranted attention and exposure

They have form and they are bloody ruthless..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poita said:

I still can't work out why, if we didn't have a contract in front of Jake when he was fit and playing well, we suddenly decided to give him a contract after did his knee. Good luck to him, but this seems like a waste of a list spot to me.

There’s (at least) one in every thread and here it is.

🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, poita said:

Asking nicely, do you ever smile?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2