Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 Best and Fairest

Nascent

22 minutes ago, Palace Dees said:

That would be a wise thing for the club to do. For Melbourne fans only to hear.

Agree wholeheartedly with what he said, but let's not put more controversy on him and take the spotlight away from the award winners and legends who were there.

That said, we know it will get out so stand by.

But I as a supporter would love to know what he said.  Can anyone produce a rough transcript of what he said?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sue said:

Can anyone produce a rough transcript of what he said?

‘Seeing them win the premiership and celebrating with the cup, I was like [censored], we’re a better team than them. We should’ve beaten them.’

• Thanks 4
  • Love 4

Went along last night. A few notes:

•    Melksham gave a fantastic tribute to Hibberd. Said Hibberd was a man who would always “find a way”, despite not looking like the quintessential AFL footballer. Whether that was on the field as a desperate defender, or when the energy among the boys was dwindling during wacky Wednesday celebrations, he would “always find a way”. This led to his nickname for Hibberd being “the human loophole.”

•    Hibberd also gave a wonderful speech. He thanked Goody for convincing him to come to MFC as the best decision he’s made. Goody pitched him to come and help start our “new competitive culture”. Credited his father for never letting him get ahead of himself. Even when he kicked 10 goals in juniors, his dad said “what about the 2 points you missed, I would’ve kicked 12.” His dad refused to say Michael was a better player… Hibberd said it only took an all-Australian, premiership, and 197 AFL games to finally admit it. 

•    Mark Williams presented best young player awards to McVee and JVR. Choco said when we played Brisbane, Charlie Cameron came up to him before the game and said, “I suppose you’ll have McVee on me.” Highlighted how the competition was starting to take notice of McVee’s talents.

•    During the video tribute for Ron Barassi, they had a great quote from Hassa Mann. It might have been shown in other Barassi tributes, as there are many, so others may have seen it. I’m paraphrasing here, but essentially Hassa said he remembers coming to the MFC as an 18-year-old, by which time Barassi was already a giant of the AFL (3 flags). They were running out onto the field one game when Barassi tapped him on the shoulder, looked him square in the eyes, and told him: “Don’t worry. I won’t let you down, son.” Talk about leadership! RIP Ron Barassi. Man amongst men.

Obviously, people can watch the speeches from the award winners, President and coach on the MFC website but a couple of notes:

•    I agree with what Older Demon said re Goody. My impression after last night was that his position is one of leadership, not just coaching. He drives standards, culture, and creates the environment for players to become elite. I recall Roosy used to say he wanted to coach Melbourne for the leadership challenge as much as anything, and I can see this mindset in Goody. I also recall Peter Jackson saying Goody’s job interview for the succession plan was different from other candidates, who all talked about game plans, whereas Goody talked about culture, values, behaviours, and habits. To Jackson, that was like hearing Paul Roos speak, and that’s when he knew they had the right man – our 57-year drought-breaking premiership coach and a real leader of the club.

•    I would also like to add that we are privileged to have Christian Petracca don the red and blue. Goody said he’s never met a player who wants to be great as much as Petracca. Trac thanked the club psychologist in his speech and spoke of his passion for performance mindset, always finding a way to get better. He has flaws in his game like all players, but he is elite in everything he does to prepare… from the mental to the physical to the work he puts in on his skills, even on days off. Our next captain imo. Pencil him in. Bloody legend.

Go dees in 2024.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11
  • Love 7
  • Clap 3

20 minutes ago, Ben said:

‘Seeing them win the premiership and celebrating with the cup, I was like [censored], we’re a better team than them. We should’ve beaten them.’

yep Steve, we should've...but we didn't. let that burn.

• Clap 2

11 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I congratulated him afterwards on his speech, he replied “I only said what we were all thinking, I f%^#ing  hate Collingwood”.  Love him! 

And to think he almost went there until we swooped after the Hogan trade!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, jane02 said:

Highlight of the night. We loved it ❤️

I love it too - haven't seen the interview though only comments on here.

Only thing is they need to prove it on field! Pies have had our measure for far too long, the scoreboard tells the story. Hopefully it burns because they must have redemption in 2024. For all of our sakes.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

The night was great.

It was an awards night not a vote bore-a-thon. It's so great to see the surviving 64 flag players get life membership. May was epic and even more vocal post count; honestly, he only said what most were thinking.  He thinks we are better than them and he doesn't like them. He did say if he thought they were better than us he would congratulate them but was annoyed that we missed an opportunity. I do hope they find a post-career role for Pig his speech was heartfelt and sincere and he has left nothing in the tank to complete his career.

BBB was asked by a doctor mate about his knee and said it was ok and he would play on and TMac needed more time to find form post-op but will suit up next year.

Goody has his detractors but I came away thinking he is a very good head coach, drives the standards, is loved and respected by the players and has got this team into the top 4 the last 3 years which no one else has done. Sure he has his weaknesses but that is up to the assistants to cover the gaps. Kate said don't believe any media [censored] only what the club publishes which after the last week has convinced me is correct. Too many journos not looking for the true story but getting the first story. Pert's letter was brilliantly timed and answered the critics and the media scribes.

We are reminded it took Geelong a decade to win that last premiership despite making the finals every year. They are bloody hard to win and everything has to go right.

I agree with everything said here but I don't like the reference to the Cats - they had 3 in the bank before waiting a decade for their next one.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with everything said here but I don't like the reference to the Cats - they had 3 in the bank before waiting a decade for their next one.

Yep and just as relevant imo is the disdain relentlessly expressed on here for the Cats record right up until their complete team premiership performance last year including introducing a changed game plan and  then  when they were challenged in the finals by the Pies, steadied at half time  and shut them out...led by the senior players " we" love to criticise.

As Maysie said; " if they were the best,I'd congratulate them"

Edited by IRW
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sue said:

But I as a supporter would love to know what he said.  Can anyone produce a rough transcript of what he said?

May said, ( not exactly)

F...It hurts losing to Collingwood, we should of smoked them in the QF. We are a much better team than them. Sitting on my couch watching them win the gf was hard. We should of been winning it, not those [censored].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And to think he almost went there until we swooped after the Hogan trade!

That nicely  translates what players mean  when they say " hate"...respect them so much I really want to beat them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can’t seem to locate May’s speech on the website. Was it that profanity laced?

Put it this way, the next B&F gonna be 'R' rated

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

I have made that clear previously.

I am thinking of changing my name to dazzlesdavey36, whispering jacks, rpfcs, binmans, demonstones, spirits of norm smith, jnrmacs or even Demonlands.

Then again Demon Dynastys even though spelt incorrectly, has a nice ring to it.

DemonstoneS...

Well that got me wondering why he only used the singular version.  Hope everythings in order!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rust said:

•    Melksham gave a fantastic tribute to Hibberd. Said Hibberd was a man who would always “find a way”, despite not looking like the quintessential AFL footballer. Whether that was on the field as a desperate defender, or when the energy among the boys was dwindling during wacky Wednesday celebrations, he would “always find a way”. This led to his nickname for Hibberd being “the human loophole.”

•    Hibberd also gave a wonderful speech. He thanked Goody for convincing him to come to MFC as the best decision he’s made. Goody pitched him to come and help start our “new competitive culture”. Credited his father for never letting him get ahead of himself. Even when he kicked 10 goals in juniors, his dad said “what about the 2 points you missed, I would’ve kicked 12.” His dad refused to say Michael was a better player… Hibberd said it only took an all-Australian, premiership, and 197 AFL games to finally admit it. 

•    Mark Williams presented best young player awards to McVee and JVR. Choco said when we played Brisbane, Charlie Cameron came up to him before the game and said, “I suppose you’ll have McVee on me.” Highlighted how the competition was starting to take notice of McVee’s talents.

•    During the video tribute for Ron Barassi, they had a great quote from Hassa Mann. It might have been shown in other Barassi tributes, as there are many, so others may have seen it. I’m paraphrasing here, but essentially Hassa said he remembers coming to the MFC as an 18-year-old, by which time Barassi was already a giant of the AFL (3 flags). They were running out onto the field one game when Barassi tapped him on the shoulder, looked him square in the eyes, and told him: “Don’t worry. I won’t let you down, son.” Talk about leadership! RIP Ron Barassi. Man amongst men.

Obviously, people can watch the speeches from the award winners, President and coach on the MFC website but a couple of notes:

•    I agree with what Older Demon said re Goody. My impression after last night was that his position is one of leadership, not just coaching. He drives standards, culture, and creates the environment for players to become elite. I recall Roosy used to say he wanted to coach Melbourne for the leadership challenge as much as anything, and I can see this mindset in Goody. I also recall Peter Jackson saying Goody’s job interview for the succession plan was different from other candidates, who all talked about game plans, whereas Goody talked about culture, values, behaviours, and habits. To Jackson, that was like hearing Paul Roos speak, and that’s when he knew they had the right man – our 57-year drought-breaking premiership coach and a real leader of the club.

•    I would also like to add that we are privileged to have Christian Petracca don the red and blue. Goody said he’s never met a player who wants to be great as much as Petracca. Trac thanked the club psychologist in his speech and spoke of his passion for performance mindset, always finding a way to get better. He has flaws in his game like all players, but he is elite in everything he does to prepare… from the mental to the physical to the work he puts in on his skills, even on days off. Our next captain imo. Pencil him in. Bloody legend.

Go dees in 2024.

‘Petracca; next MFC Captain’ is in pen. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rust said:

Go dees in 2024.

That is an excellent summary and I agree with everything you said. The night was fabulous. The players were generous with their time, happy to chat and the atmosphere was very upbeat. 
I had a good chat with Steven May. Told him his speech was hilarious and I thanked him for his stellar year. He was highly amused to hear I was married to a Collingwood supporter ( who was also with me on the night).
All of our table had a great night and we plan to make it an annual event.

I am pumped for 2024 now ❤️💙

Edited by jane02
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

He’s been around football for 2 decades. He’s worked with many doctors in his time. 

I have also been told by a few people that she’s a really wonderful doctor. Very focused on the holistic approach to health care and the players really love her. 
She will be a loss for sure. 

I also loved that Trac thanked the club psych last night. Having good access to mental health is paramount to professional athletes these days. 

I’d say access to a good psych is paramount for anyone who engages in the world

• Like 3
  • Vomit 1