Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFLW Fixture 2023

10 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think we had best enjoy this season.

My guess is that during the off season there might be several transfers encouraged by the AFL. The skill gap between the teams is simply too large.

Time might rectify it but we all know how the AFL loves to meddle

They tried it for this season so some ‘stars’ from other clubs changed clubs. All of our team stayed except Daisy retired and Maggie Caris decided to focus on netball. I’m hopeful they’ll win again this year and stick together for a three peat 😊

• Like 3
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

My guess is that during the off season there might be several transfers encouraged by the AFL. The skill gap between the teams is simply too large.

There are definitely players on our list we could afford to lose, and about a dozen who we would be desperate to keep.

Six months ago I would have said Tayla Harris was critical to our success but, with the form of Zanker and the emergence of Campbell, we almost look better without her. 

No doubt the AFL will give incentives to the bottom clubs to attract players, but there would need to be significant money involved to get the top players to move.

As an aside, I'd definitely be asking Ellie Blackburn if she is happy losing each week, or if she wants to come and play finals at a decent club. She'd have to take a pay cut, but that might not be her key motivation at this time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, poita said:

As an aside, I'd definitely be asking Ellie Blackburn if she is happy losing each week, or if she wants to come and play finals at a decent club. She'd have to take a pay cut, but that might not be her key motivation at this time.

I was thinking the same thing about Blackburn. She deserves some success although I think she is also the type who would stay true. You’d think she has been made offers before

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

I was thinking the same thing about Blackburn. She deserves some success although I think she is also the type who would stay true. You’d think she has been made offers before

And I also had those very same thoughts about Ellie watching the dogs get thrashed by Sydney on the weekend.  She busts her gut every week and I get the feeling the club is no longer really invested in their women's program.  The team looks like they've checked out for the year.  But she has shown loyalty in the face of big offers in the past, and she has won a premiership there, so she may stick.  But I wouldn't blame her for looking elsewhere.  As I said to a friend this weekend, we'd take her at the Dees. 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poita said:

Yeah, bring her home! It's been 10 years but she was ours at the beginning.

AFL 2016 Womens Exhibition - Western Bulldogs v Melbourne - 421073

• Like 4
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, poita said:

Six months ago I would have said Tayla Harris was critical to our success but, with the form of Zanker and the emergence of Campbell, we almost look better without her. 

No way we trade Tayla unless out hand is forced by the AFL. If we win the flag this year she will play a big role. I've no doubt about that.

• Like 6

Ellie Blackburn has won a flag with the doggies. she has her pennant so should stay there and help them rebuild. If the powers that be at the Whitten Oval have no interest in their ALFW team then that's a different story (find that hard to believe given they pioneered the game with us for many years) but otherwise I'm not in favour of club champions chasing success at the end of their careers. There's enough mercenary behaviour in the mens game. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Craig T said:

And I also had those very same thoughts about Ellie watching the dogs get thrashed by Sydney on the weekend.  She busts her gut every week and I get the feeling the club is no longer really invested in their women's program.  The team looks like they've checked out for the year.  But she has shown loyalty in the face of big offers in the past, and she has won a premiership there, so she may stick.  But I wouldn't blame her for looking elsewhere.  As I said to a friend this weekend, we'd take her at the Dees. 😁

To be honest they never checked in. Coach ( Nathan Burke ) alluded to chaotic pre season and numerous injuries and poor pre season fitness issues about Round 2. To add insult there has been very little windy home games for more chaotic footy and Whitten University Oval was not ready till halfway during season.

There has been very little attempt at elite level recruiting to replace Toogood who masked the frailties of the Dogs forward setup for more than a couple of seasons. Maybe money is not being spent here and it is sad that ALL other teams have surpassed the Dogs when they were an original participant in developing the game like us. 

Maybe Debbie Lees exit has been felt more than anticipated.

I would feel that Nathan Burke will not retain the Head coaching role after the last 2 horror seasons. General fitness levels  also screams out poor prep as well as multiple injuries. 

Actually the Club needs a major review of all their AFLW program. But make it outside as they are in a time warp what’s needed I feel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poita said:

There are definitely players on our list we could afford to lose, and about a dozen who we would be desperate to keep.

No doubt the AFL will give incentives to the bottom clubs to attract players, but there would need to be significant money involved to get the top players to move.

True to form Poita another who you question about being on our list. Tayla Harris? Not one mention of her fitness issues either. Please give a balanced view with all the facts when you act as Chief Delisting and Team Manager of our players. 

It’s tiresome reading of your haste in shadowing so many of our players that you assert prematurely should not be on our lists. 

PS Gawny says Hi  So glad he survived 6 years of injury and poor health to triumph into our greatest modern Captain and undoubted Greatest Ruckman of the modern era, if not ever.

Rant over again but really change the record please. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 11:26, BDA said:

Crows will be tough for sure but remember we had the better of them for 2 quarters as well. Once we match them on the inside, not easy i know, we have their measure.

My preference is to win the flag. To put us in the best position to do that we need to beat the Lions and i think we're better than them. Wardlaw was a big loss for them. they are not finishing their good work whereas we have Zanker (having a career best year i reckon) and Tayla. Not to mention Kate Hore.

I'm confident we'll win McClelland cup AND the flag.

Go Dees.

Let's mention Banno too!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, BDA said:

Ellie Blackburn has won a flag with the doggies. she has her pennant so should stay there and help them rebuild. If the powers that be at the Whitten Oval have no interest in their ALFW team then that's a different story (find that hard to believe given they pioneered the game with us for many years) but otherwise I'm not in favour of club champions chasing success at the end of their careers. There's enough mercenary behaviour in the mens game. 

Yeah in all seriousness I think there's very little chance Ellie would switch teams. She strikes me as the type who'd prefer to stay a one-club player and lead the next phase for the Dogs. There's clearly something very wrong there in the management of their program - I'd liken it to Carlton a few years back. If there's not a serious shake-up at season's end it'll be clear that those up top have not sustained interest or the support required.

1 hour ago, 58er said:

True to form Poita another who you question about being on our list. Tayla Harris?

I don't think Poita was suggesting we get rid of Harris, just that it would be less of a loss if she were to be given an offer she can't refuse in some AFL equalisation measure, because other players have come on and we rely on her less. I think that's fair enough.

But, yes, obviously she's best 21 when fit. No one sees Tayla Harris's name on the team list and thinks, "Well, we won't need to put any time into her". Has contributed plenty in most of the games she's played this season - leads the competition in avg. contested marks and goal assists, and is third for avg. marks i50. Just hope she can string a few games together ASAP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BDA said:

No way we trade Tayla unless out hand is forced by the AFL. If we win the flag this year she will play a big role. I've no doubt about that.

Tayla can go missing, and this season we're well covered for rucks so there's less opportunity for her to ruck and get into the game.

But surely has the most  X factor in the AFLW. 

Can impact the game in a half a quarter and is s match winner when on.

The other thing she brings is her field kicking.

Tayla is a terrific kick - clears 50 no problems, and the ball gets in there quick. It's a weapon.

Gillard has a similarly long kick, (though not as fluent) and the direction seems to be to go long when she gets the chance. 

Deep entries are gold for the dees.

Hore and Zanker are clunking them, Harris when she's up and about and Bannon not far off a break out game as a marking forward. 

The other factor is any boundary line throw in lands almost in the corridor after the umpire comes in from the boundary line. 

Our rucks and smalls can go to work. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, binman said:

But surely has the most  X factor in the AFLW

Yep. Her last quarter against the Crows at Casey was extraordinary. She was out-jumping every opponent in the ruck, slamming it forward and allowing Tyla Hanks et al to set up quick entries for Eden Zanker. If she’d been able to play on-ball the entire quarter, I’ve no doubt we would have run all over them (almost did anyway). She scares oppos sh**less, is enormously valuable, and consistently gets underrated for it I reckon. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Webber said:

She scares oppos sh**less, 

Totally! Her mere presence is enough to keep them on their toes. She has this air about her, a very commanding and imposing figure is our Tay. 💪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

21 hours ago, Brownie said:

Let's mention Banno too!

About Banno, this happened on Saturday a couple of hours after the match…

Outside Ikon I came across Banno and fam, Banno hadn’t even changed clothes yet. As I walked past she quietly motioned for me to come over. In her arms was a tiny little baby swaddled in a pink blanket. It was her niece born only three weeks ago. The look of pride and love on her face would melt even the hardest heart. We talked about how heartening the birth of this tiny little person was at a time of such sadness and despair in the world.

As I walked away I looked back at the beautiful image and thought, “sh!tt that’s the same girl who carves it up on the field every week and look at her now… the picture of all that’s still good in the world.” She’s a very special person, is our Banno. 💕

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Tayla is a real impact player and also a selfless role player. A beautiful kick and can take a grab. If she is not tacking marks she is splitting the pack and getting the ball to ground where our smalls are ready more often than not. She doesn’t need to dominate the stats sheet every week to contribute Good luck defending a forward line of Harris, Zanker, Hore and Bannon. We are lucky that we have the depth to cover her but we are no doubt a better team when she is playing. 

• Like 8

We need Tayla for structure as much as anything else.

Zanker has done an exceptional job these past few weeks but it's not sustainable.

She's playing both CHF and FF at the same time, and when she comes up the ground, it leaves us light on for marking power near goal (skipper's heroics notwithstanding).

There seemed to be times on the weekend (bit hard to judge off the telly) when we had to hold up play at CHF, presumably because Hore was outnumbered at FF. 

A fit and firing Harris improves us in a multitude of ways. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

We need Tayla for structure as much as anything else.

Zanker has done an exceptional job these past few weeks but it's not sustainable.

She's playing both CHF and FF at the same time, and when she comes up the ground, it leaves us light on for marking power near goal (skipper's heroics notwithstanding).

There seemed to be times on the weekend (bit hard to judge off the telly) when we had to hold up play at CHF, presumably because Hore was outnumbered at FF. 

A fit and firing Harris improves us in a multitude of ways. 

Spot on. There were several instances bringing the ball forward when we looked for a target at half forward that wasn't there. 

Tayla was missed.  Her contest work has been brilliant this season. 

It also speaks volumes for this team that she's an integral part of the system rather than having to be the match winner 

• Like 7

On 22/10/2023 at 17:08, Diamond_Jim said:

They tried last season as other posters said we did very well in keeping the squad together.  I guess it depends on why they play.  I think from next season all players is going up close to median wage for workers of 60k this year increasing to 82k in 2027, so technically it could be a "full-time" income for some players for what is a part time commitment.   

Where I see players moving is becoming the marque players at another side with the pay bump.  On the slip side we have enough talent that has been developed we could cover the loss of most players. And if we lose a significant players, most likely we could bring in another good player?  

But you are right, lets enjoy this season.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

So if we beat the Lions next week they’ll end up 5th. We then would play either Essendon or Gold Coast at Ikon first week of finals. Is that right? 

I didn't realise this but you're right. That's a big bonus should we win. big difference between Lions and Suns or bombers.