• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Under 18 Championships 2023

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I believe 1 of Duursma, Caddy, Mckercher, Sanders or Curtin will be available at pick 6. So no doubt JT and the footy department are working through the possibilities 

McKercher please. Looks exactly the classy midfield connector that we lack. I do wonder how much thought clubs will put into the potential Tassie team and is this is any more weight than if a player is from WA or SA being those teams actually already have teams that exist.  If we could get our hands on the Suns first pick as well (using our second round and next years first) without losing our first this year, having a 3 picks inside the first round could really set us up for the future. 

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

McKercher please. Looks exactly the classy midfield connector that we lack. I do wonder how much thought clubs will put into the potential Tassie team and is this is any more weight than if a player is from WA or SA being those teams actually already have teams that exist.  If we could get our hands on the Suns first pick as well (using our second round and next years first) without losing our first this year, having a 3 picks inside the first round could really set us up for the future. 

Good call @Lil_red_fire_engine

Yes he’s another young star. Mckercher reminds me of Zac Merrett.  Wins the footy. Smart decision maker. Can also defend and tackle.  Definitely a top 10 pick imv. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Suns first pick will be up for grabs. But your suggestion of our second rounder and a future first is absolutely zero chance of getting it. They want points for their academy kids. Their pick if it’s say pick 6, is north of 1,500 points, our second rounder will be worth maybe 500 points at best. It makes no sense for them to make that trade.. 

We would probably have to give up our first this year(not freos) and freos second rounder. That would then be slightly more points for them. So then maybe we might add our second for a future pick from them? Who knows.

I just think we will have to give up more than you suggested to get their pick.

Which I’m all for if we ended up with say picks 5&6. And a flag 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 6:41 PM, manny100 said:

Plus a possible top 20 or close to for Mc Cabe (Hawks) and Croft (Bullies).

Kynan Brown works hard and gets in the best players on a regular basis. Like most players coming through probably needs 2 or 3 of AFL pre seasons to build his game and body to cope with AFL.

Positives for Kynan are he knows how to find the ball on a regular basis, works hard and is pretty 

well fearless. So plenty to work with. He will be picked up late in the draft IMO.

If he could resemble a JV7 Type 2 and model his game on that I'd be happy. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Doubt that he will turn out to have Jack Viney’s toughness but that doesn’t exclude him from having other attributes to make him a handy recruit for the club.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Unfortunately he’s no JV7.  He needs lots more protein shakes and about 5 years in the gym.  Different type of player.  He might ultimately be more of a small defensive type (back pocket) than an onballer.  Don’t expect him to be a Nick Daicos “gift from the gods” for us.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:52 PM, CatFishPig said:

Suns first pick will be up for grabs. But your suggestion of our second rounder and a future first is absolutely zero chance of getting it. They want points for their academy kids. Their pick if it’s say pick 6, is north of 1,500 points, our second rounder will be worth maybe 500 points at best. It makes no sense for them to make that trade.. 

We would probably have to give up our first this year(not freos) and freos second rounder. That would then be slightly more points for them. So then maybe we might add our second for a future pick from them? Who knows.

I just think we will have to give up more than you suggested to get their pick.

Which I’m all for if we ended up with say picks 5&6. And a flag 

Thanks I forgot to consider they need the points moreso than shifting into next year. Either way I am on board with us doing what we need to load into the top end of this years draft. I would also prefer us to have two shots in top 10 plus Brown later as father son than sell the farm to put all our eggs in the Harley Reid basket. 

• Like 4

Apparently North might request a similar assistance package that the Suns received which would enable them to pre-list their academy players.

That would see them get Ryley Sanders and Jack Callinan for free.

Would imagine there would be a fair bit of outrage if this occurred.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kangaroos-may-get-creative-to-snare-top-prospect-casboult-keen-to-play-on-20230710-p5dn4s.html

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Apparently North might request a similar assistance package that the Suns received which would enable them to pre-list their academy players.

That would see them get Ryley Sanders and Jack Callinan for free.

Would imagine there would be a fair bit of outrage if this occurred.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kangaroos-may-get-creative-to-snare-top-prospect-casboult-keen-to-play-on-20230710-p5dn4s.html

I'll get banned if I let my full thoughts be known on that article. Honestly it's absolutely nonsense. Trying to retroactively include a player in an NGA. A player who goes to Melbourne Grammar and plays for the Sandy Dragons at that too. Just taking the mickey.

But the reality is North have a future midfield of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Sheezel and Wardlaw.

The idea that a side that stacked with young talent needs a priority pick is laughable.

The best thing we ever did was stop asking for assistance and start trading out of high picks or future picks and let the competition know we aren't going to be rubbish any more. If North want more talent they can trade a future first and get it that way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'll get banned if I let my full thoughts be known on that article. Honestly it's absolutely nonsense. Trying to retroactively include a player in an NGA. A player who goes to Melbourne Grammar and plays for the Sandy Dragons at that too. Just taking the mickey.

But the reality is North have a future midfield of LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Sheezel and Wardlaw.

The idea that a side that stacked with young talent needs a priority pick is laughable.

The best thing we ever did was stop asking for assistance and start trading out of high picks or future picks and let the competition know we aren't going to be rubbish any more. If North want more talent they can trade a future first and get it that way

Cheers, I couldn't access the article but heard that was the jist of it.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:28 AM, Colm said:

Watched 3/4 of the Vic country, Allies game. Small sample size but I wouldn’t be giving 3 first round picks for Harley Reid. Played a forward for a bit but when he did go into the middle he didn’t look as good as 3 of the Allies mids in Cleary, Mckercher and Sanders. 
Cleary is tied to the Swans and the other two are from Tassie but if McKercher is on the board at our first pick I’d be surprised if we didn’t grab him. 

Reid will go number 1. But im starting to agree, we probably dont need him as he sounds a bit like a Petracca type player, which is great, but you probably dont need two of them. If WC take him at 1, I think Norf will taken Curtain / Read at 2 (as they need KPD), Swans probably will be forced to bid on Cleary or use their 1st pick (4 - but i doubt they'll end up in this position). Not sure what Hawks will do - maybe they take Watson as they need a bit of crumbing class down forward but they may stock up on mids too. 

Either way, i think we'll have plenty of options with our first pick and hopefully we can secure a pick swap with GCS that'll give us a crack at 2 genuine guns that'll hopefully be able to slot straight into our side in 2024. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Reid will go number 1. But im starting to agree, we probably dont need him as he sounds a bit like a Petracca type player, which is great, but you probably dont need two of them. If WC take him at 1, I think Norf will taken Curtain / Read at 2 (as they need KPD), Swans probably will be forced to bid on Cleary or use their 1st pick (4 - but i doubt they'll end up in this position). Not sure what Hawks will do - maybe they take Watson as they need a bit of crumbing class down forward but they may stock up on mids too. 

Either way, i think we'll have plenty of options with our first pick and hopefully we can secure a pick swap with GCS that'll give us a crack at 2 genuine guns that'll hopefully be able to slot straight into our side in 2024. 

If Reid was literally a Petracca clone, you'd be taking him every day of the week. Match winners are rare on lists. Trac is a match winner.

• Like 8

Cleary will be later in the order maybe around pick10 I’m guessing. So it will depend on where swans finish- they will be very keen to have a pick before somebody calls his name. 

I’ve gone off Duursma. Don’t think he has the work rate required for our system. 
Im assuming Cal Twomey's draft rankings will come out next week. Will be interesting to see where he rates a few. 

• Like 1

Agree that Duursma hasn't lived up to his hype of last year as an underager. Which is disappointing. 

I still think he's scope is enormous. But for a top 10 pick, you need consistently good form throughout the champs. And he's definitely been inconsistent. 

Like others, I think McKercher is exactly a type we need. And next best avail after that inside the top 10.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A F said:

If Reid was literally a Petracca clone, you'd be taking him every day of the week. Match winners are rare on lists. Trac is a match winner.

Its a hard call for sure, but im starting to think that using two picks for Reid - particularly when it could be GCS first pick (#5) and Freos fist pick (#6) - may not be the smartest move. McKercher is exactly the type of player we need. Has speed, great kick, inside / outside balance. Then you could potentially take a Duursma, Curtain or O'Sullivan with our 2nd pick and Brown as F/S. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Its a hard call for sure, but im starting to think that using two picks for Reid - particularly when it could be GCS first pick (#5) and Freos fist pick (#6) - may not be the smartest move. McKercher is exactly the type of player we need. Has speed, great kick, inside / outside balance. Then you could potentially take a Duursma, Curtain or O'Sullivan with our 2nd pick and Brown as F/S. 

Totally, I was playing devil's advocate really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Reid will go number 1. But im starting to agree, we probably dont need him as he sounds a bit like a Petracca type player, which is great, but you probably dont need two of them…

Haven’t seen enough of Reid play, but if he’s similar style and quality to Petracca, you’d draft him in every possible scenario. Having a Petracca in the midfield and a Petracca up forward is basically the dream combination for any team and would have you permanently in premiership contention.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colm said:

I’ve gone off Duursma. Don’t think he has the work rate required for our system. 

I think we would have a good idea of his work rate etc given that he's trained with us during preseason and had a game at Casey.

• Like 2

Haven't seen young Brown's name on any phantom drafts or rankings. Is he a possibility of being rookied?

We have a few academy players that aren't in any top 40s as well. 

Wonder how many picks we'll use... 🤔

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I think we would have a good idea of his work rate etc given that he's trained with us during preseason and had a game at Casey.

I’m sure we do, and if JT think he’s the one we should go for then I’ll be very confident that he will work out given we have had such a close look at him. 
It’s because he trained with us and got a game a Casey that I kept a close eye on him since, he looks like he got a lot of class about him and a couple of game so watched he had nearly” sort of games for him in the he nearly had a break out game. 
But his lack of effort when the other team has the ball has surprised me. Maybe he’s been carrying a knock or a few niggles. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A F said:

Disagree. 

We don't need another Petracca. Or Oliver. We have no issue winning contest. We have issues post contest. Namely, smart ball use and great decision makers. 

And I disagree that Trac is a match winner. 

Dusty in his prime was a match winner. He had elite finishing skills and would win games off his own boot. Petracca influences games due to his powerful contest work, but he doesn't win games off his own boot. 

For us to go all in on Reid would be stupid given the amount of quality we could land using the picks we'd be giving up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Disagree. 

We don't need another Petracca. Or Oliver. We have no issue winning contest. We have issues post contest. Namely, smart ball use and great decision makers. 

And I disagree that Trac is a match winner. 

Dusty in his prime was a match winner. He had elite finishing skills and would win games off his own boot. Petracca influences games due to his powerful contest work, but he doesn't win games off his own boot. 

For us to go all in on Reid would be stupid given the amount of quality we could land using the picks we'd be giving up. 

Righto, well, you and I disagree again.

As if we wouldn't want Trac in the midfield and then Trac in the forwardline. Every team would.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Colm said:

Im assuming Cal Twomey's draft rankings will come out next week. Will be interesting to see where he rates a few. 

Where is Cal Twomey, does anyone know?  He has missed the last two Gettable episodes.

• Haha 1