PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Surely they wouldn't rush Mcstay in after 2 months out and no VFL run

might be good if he plays

I suspect if they choose to play Mcstay, the idea will be to force our hand play a third tall defender (which i think we will anyway - Tomo will stay in) and look to exploit tomo one on one

My mate who lives in Melbourne and is a Pies supporter said he was listening to Nova this morning and Oliver was meant to do an interview but cancelled because was in hospital with his infected foot. Has anyone else heard this? Is this just a [censored] take? 

• Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

My mate who lives in Melbourne and is a Pies supporter said he was listening to Nova this morning and Oliver was meant to do an interview but cancelled because was in hospital with his infected foot. Has anyone else heard this? Is this just a [censored] take? 

It wouldn’t shock me at all, given the club have access to hospital care a short course of IV antibiotics could speed up recovery. Would obviously mean more doubt about his availability for Monday.

• Like 4

Mihocek, Johnson and Cox may not be the best tall forward unit around but they could still give us some problems. If Hibberd is back he could take one of them at a stretch but I'd be inclined to keep Tomlinson in this week. 

37 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

It was reported by the club so would take it to be true 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Mihocek, Johnson and Cox may not be the best tall forward unit around but they could still give us some problems. If Hibberd is back he could take one of them at a stretch but I'd be inclined to keep Tomlinson in this week. 

Watching the game live at Optus (& I acknowledge that when you’re top playing bottom your intensity is probably not as high) WC made them look pretty ordinary over a couple of quarters. They were always going to run over them but to me…if you make it hard for Moore & Miochec …we’ll go a long way to winning the game . Cox was literally about a metre taller than his oppo defender (Barass & Hurn were out) & he’s pretty good at getting a free kick so putting some time into him is a must . He’s my most loathed Pies player. I’m pretty bullish about Monday …

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, binman said:

I suspect if they choose to play Mcstay, the idea will be to force our hand play a third tall defender (which i think we will anyway - Tomo will stay in) and look to exploit tomo one on one

Hope they play Mcstay who will be under done and I don't rate him in any case. Just a player up here in Brisbane and similar with Pies. Bit of a decoy for others.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

You wonder how De Goey gets 3, for concussing his victim, putting him out of that game and the next and Kozzie gets 2 for no injury at all to his victim and he jumps up smiling and pats Kozzie on the bum.

How is it only one more for De Goey in those circumstances?

Surely it’s only 1 for Kozzie, or 4 at least for De Goey.

No wonder the system is a farcical disaster.

I thought the system was meant to be focussing on potential to cause harm and not so much on the eventual outcome. If that was the case, Pickett was extemely lucky only to get two weeks. He should have got 4 as should have deGoey as they both had the same potential.

23 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I thought the system was meant to be focussing on potential to cause harm and not so much on the eventual outcome. If that was the case, Pickett was extemely lucky only to get two weeks. He should have got 4 as should have deGoey as they both had the same potential.

That really can't work, as one is a guess/estimate, while the other is certain.

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Brodie up against his old side this week…

Lachie Hunter, BBB, Tomlinson, Maysie, Ricky Lever and Langers all won their first game against their former side.

Just sayin’ 

edit: Langers comes with a question mark. Going by memory alone. 

edit: I forgot Hibbo and Melksy!

Too late to edit, but Langers’ first game for us against Freo was a loss (Round 16, 2020). But let’s pretend that never happened.😁

❤️💙 

2 hours ago, binman said:

De Goey to go, McStay to stay in the VFL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

De Goey, the bogun frequent flyer…

I almost wish I didn’t care about this match, as it would be great to watch as a neutral, ignoring the hysteria of the pundits. Both teams play modern (Cruyff) style ‘Total’ football, have some genuinely exciting players to watch, and some villains opposition love to hate as well. There is the fact the Pies have had the wood over the Demons for ever (am sad to say most of my family is too scarred to turn up). Then there is of course the MND campaign which also bring a sense of occasion (although to be honest I think most of us are just hoping for some hilarious costume failures.) But for me it is the first Collingwood game I’ve seen live since 2005 and I really, very deeply, care about the result. 

Personally I think this will be an excellent test of the two best defenses going around. I’m in favour of leg speed and accountability so prefer Chandler to Melk and Gus back with Oliver in the middle and Tommo the unlucky fella.

Sidear$e and the BFF are huge outs, along with other selection challenges should really see us over the line. And no one will take us seriously because they will point to the outs. God forbid we don’t get up because then everyone will highlight their outs as well.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

They can claim all the outs they want.  The reality is that in the last QB we were missing May, had an underdone Salem, Turner went off in the first qtr, Petty went off but played out the game under duress and Max was victim to a Cox running leap with knee in the back.  Played out the game but never fully recovered from the back injury.  All that after they gang tackled and mauled Langdon.

Nonetheless, we were in that game right until 3/4 time.

In the round 21 game half our team were carrying injuries so an easy kill for them.  Nothing to really brag about.

They can crow and rant all they like about their 'outs' - karma for last year.

On Monday, a 2021 PF revenge like performance vs Geelong would be very nice:cool:

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

We had 65 inside 50s to 41 in our second game against them last year and 3 more scoring shots for a 7 point loss.

They couldn’t miss that night, they were 7 straight at one stage.

Also, they kicked 6 straight against us on QB in the last. Add that to the 7.0 in the R21 game and it’s 13.0 in two and half quarters. 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They can claim all the outs they want.  The reality is that in the last QB we were missing May, had an underdone Salem, Turner went off in the first qtr, Petty went off but played out the game under duress and Max was victim to a Cox running leap with knee in the back.  Played out the game but never fully recovered from the back injury.  All that after they gang tackled and mauled Langdon.

Nonetheless, we were in that game right until 3/4 time.

In the round 23 game half our team were carrying injuries so an easy kill for them.  Nothing to really brag about.

They can crow and rant all they like about their 'outs' - karma for last year.

On Monday, a 2021 PF revenge like performance vs Geelong would be very nice:cool:

Round 21 it was and we went down fighting by seven, looking gassed and only scoring 3 goals in the second half.

But the thing too remember is we smashed them in the first half. The numbers were all our way

They only stayed in it because they kicked everything (five zip in the first) and we were wasteful. 

It was 10.7 to 8.2 at half time.

Seven more scoring shots for only a 17 point lead. 

From memory, we were something like plus 35 expected score.

Edited by binman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Howe recovering from COVID. Pies on the COVID watch might be a few nervous Nellys over the coming days.

There really should be a Get Worse Soon greeting card for news like this.  

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2023 at 8:08 PM, Jaded No More said:

The man who said Gawn had no right to be sad about a potentially career ending ACL, is definitely the man to listen to on all matters. 

I went to school with him he had THE BIGGEST EGO Known to man not a nice person at all!

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, Fat Tony said:

I think we’re playing one too many midgets in the forward line. With Chandler, Spargo, and Pickett, we are getting out marked a few times per match.

With Hibberd and Oliver coming back in this week, I wonder if one of the outs will be Chandler or Spargo. Tomlinson is also possible. 

The best and most efficient way to stop the 'out-marking' in the forward line is not to place static talls in the goal square. It's also poor percentage/effectiveness to do the pillars of salt routine and only look for a kick if it can be seen against the skyline. We could, otherwise, have a ripper and generously-served forward feast from any angle!

• Like 1