• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Can I just say what a wonderful job Hibberd did on cumberland last ngiht after he went to him after he kicked his 3 goals. Kept him virtually statless after that and did brilliantly. 

Who was on Cumberland in the 1st? Rivers?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The contract is an easy out but I think it's more trying to balance his furious attack on the ball with not giving away frees/getting reported. When you go 100% that can happen and it seems he's second guessing himself in order to avoid the frees/suspension. It will click soon and he'll have another game like round 1 or last year v Port.

Koz has great attack on the man but his attack on the ball goes wanting, really poor dropped chest mark last night when he was worried about what was coming. Often puts up low disposal numbers in big high pressure games.

He was also used exclusively as a pressure small because without Spargs and with incohesive talls we definitely needed all the pressure he could give. Still should’ve kicked a couple. 

Hopefully they can find a way to get him some easier touches. Even if he’s starting forward I’d like him to be the guy charging in to the square at centre bounces and to be given a role at forward half stoppages. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Question marks over Sparrow, ANB, Rivers.

Hunter and Langdon do not do enough.

I thought Sparrow was rock solid. Nibbler was Nibbler but he helped turn the game. 

And I’m not sure what more you could want from Langdon who was excellent. 

• Like 19

25 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Nothing shown on TV, but my son at the game, said he saw JVR slightly push Vlastuin, as Fritta took a great mark. What makes it a poor decision, was that Vlastuin was no chance of taking the mark anyway.

And Van Rooyen was getting pushed and scragged at every contest without hearing boo from the umps. Ludicrous and infuriating.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Much of the modern narrative is that way. 

I have been brought up to believe that it is a very sad and poignant celebration about and for the whole community. 

Yes, a time to solemnly reflect on the horror and futility of war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, deva5610 said:

But he wasn't outside 5 metres behind the mark, hence the free kick. If he had stayed 5 metres out there wouldn't have been a free paid.

To be absolutely clear - The protected area extends 5 metres behind the player on the mark, and 10 metres either side.

Screenshot2023-04-24205500.thumb.jpg.cb14e135aeceb3f2a67d5845bb5bb55e.jpg

Okay I stand corrected and apologise for not knowing that but doesn't that happen every time a player is having a shot on goal after the siren at the end of a quarter. Can't remember it being paid against anyone else. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

But Lever WAS inside 5m zone behind the mark. He ran up just behind McVee on the mark as the ball was kicked.

It was a howler by Lever, defence 101 brain fart

However, the umpiring in general last night was poor

Yes acknowledged, deva5610 set me straight, I've seen that happen plenty of times when kicking at goal after the siren but I haven't seen it paid. Maybe it has in games i haven't watched. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cantstandyasam said:

What Petty gives us that Brown doesn't is second efforts and strength in the contests.

I think you are being harsh on Brown their.   He gives more second efforts at ground level than many realise and he has much better sense as a forward on how to best position himself and move the ball on in those situations and as a result is often a pretty important part of scoring chains for us.

I think what Petty gives us in terms of contests, the occasional strong contested mark as a forward and fairly reliable set shot kicking once he has it are admirable and have their place, but personally I think he's much better contributor for us down back doing similar things IMHO.  Not a knock on Petty at all, just how I see our best fit.

I also think that when we have JVR down there still trying to find his feet, we need an established forward to take more of the heat and contribute more to goal scoring opportunities.  I'm not quite sure who's our best option to fit into that role right now when T Mac and BBB arn't exactly setting the world on fire and Max plays a good resting rucks forward, but not really a dedicated forward either.  Freitch to get on a lead as a focal point more often?  Maybe playing Josh Schache and giving him a crack as he'd be hungry as f#$k by now and can play.

Also think we need Petty to shore up our defense as that part of our game has slipped from the elite level that it's been in the past two seasons and think we do need to rebalance our game plan in that respect.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, deva5610 said:

For those that haven't yet had the privilege of enjoying the amazing Channel 7 post match with Brayshaw - Watch AFL Post Game Online: Free Streaming & Catch Up TV in Australia | 7plus

Enjoy.

Thanks for this link deva! I followed the link, signed up for 7+ and thoroughly enjoyed that interview with Gus and Kade. Those two a couple of ripper blokes! They both spoke so well and are both excellent active listeners and answer questions eloquently.  Loved how Gus naturally took control of the interview and ran commentary on the highlights reel! Congrats to Gus on his engagement with Danielle!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I EFFING hate this. 

Keep your neuroses to yourself 

Thanks for letting all of us know.

NOTICE to all Demonland Contributors, please be more considerate when expressing your opinion in case of NOT agreeing with rpfc.

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Thanks for letting all of us know.

NOTICE to all Demonland Contributors, please be more considerate when expressing your opinion in case of NOT agreeing with rpfc.

FINALLY

Glad you agree with me. 

• Haha 3

The

29 minutes ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Okay I stand corrected and apologise for not knowing that but doesn't that happen every time a player is having a shot on goal after the siren at the end of a quarter. Can't remember it being paid against anyone else. 

It's an obscure new rule that many of us plebs knew nothing of before now.  Listing to Mathew Richardson's cometary, he obviously didn't understand it either as his comment was that "but he's behind the mark".  Now I want to see it paid consistently across all games??!

The timing and position of this free really rubbed salt into the wounds of me as a Melbourne supporter.  Richmond shouldn't have been having the shot on goal in the first place as the free kick after the May mark was so bloody marginal and they then proceeded to shepard our players out of marking contests all over the place for the rest of the night.

The Gus Brashaw deliberate out of bound and non paid 50m penalty for talking the player from the man on the mark were diabolical.

I understand the umpires have a tough job, but despite being non fully professional, they still get paid pretty good coin for what they do and I'm so tired of them being beyond scrutiny in the AFLs eyes.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Lou C. Fur said:

Thanks for this link deva! I followed the link, signed up for 7+ and thoroughly enjoyed that interview with Gus and Kade. Those two a couple of ripper blokes! They both spoke so well and are both excellent active listeners and answer questions eloquently.  Loved how Gus naturally took control of the interview and ran commentary on the highlights reel! Congrats to Gus on his engagement with Danielle!

Serious? 

It was cringe as [censored] interview until Chandler came in and composed himself well. Gus could barely put any full stop to his conversation he was talking that fast that you could barely keep up with what he was saying.

Majority of the interview was spent talking about Brayshaw's engagement and nicknames of the players and barely anything about the game. This is why Channel 7 is the worst in the business led by Hamish. They honestly think this is exactly what the supporters want to hear post game.

Rubbish content by them once again.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Redleg said:

I didn’t understand when I saw it and Lever clearly doesn’t know the rule, or had a brain fade. But if that’s the rule then he broke it.

On the other hand you and Richo are both correct, that it’s never been paid until tonight.

We seem to make a habit of creating new decisions by umpires when we play.

The non 50 to ANB was mind boggling, as was the standard of umpiring on the whole tonight.

I really try not to let poor umpiring get to me at the footy. Remind myself that it usually evens up.

But it was flat out appalling last night. And we copped the really bad ones.

None worse than the non 50 to nibbler.

That scenario was EXACTLY the reason the 50 was brought in - ie player wants to release straight away (kick or handball) and his opponent stops him from doing so.

If nibbler was able to give to langdon immediately we were away with mutiple free players ahead of the ball.

You'd could argue that cost us two goals.

Given a 50, nibbler kicked from 20 out dead in front.

Yes, the handball to lamgers was sloppy, but he was just trying to do what rioli stopped him from doing.

And then they score on the turnover.

And ok, let's say the blocks they paid against us were there. W

ell how the hell doesn't maxy get 5 such frees a game given the Amount of blatant scagging and blocking he cops EVERY marking contest.

And don't get me started on the hits to the head he cops week I'm week out. So much for the head being sacrosanct. 

The conspiracy theory stuff with umpires is ridiculous.

The issue is we have well paid amatuers, not tbe afl is engineering results.

Thought experiment.

Why is the grand final usually umpired super well?

Because the best umpires are selected for the match.

Its a multi billion dollar industry- EVERY game should umpired to that standard.

We won that game. But could have lost because of umpiring error. Too much is at stake for such an important part of the game to be so hopeless.

• Like 10
  • Clap 6

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

He does look tall next to Roo, but not quite so tall next to Max.

Scary thing is, Kalani’s still got some growing to do. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Serious? 

It was cringe as [censored] interview until Chandler came in and composed himself well. Gus could barely put any full stop to his conversation he was talking that fast that you could barely keep up with what he was saying.

Majority of the interview was spent talking about Brayshaw's engagement and nicknames of the players and barely anything about the game. This is why Channel 7 is the worst in the business led by Hamish. They honestly think this is exactly what the supporters want to hear post game.

Rubbish content by them once again.

Fox/Kayo is better for pre game, between quarters and post game. Not as much mindless rubbish, but still too blokey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stiff Arm said:

Fox/Kayo is better for pre game, between quarters and post game. Not as much mindless rubbish, but still too blokey

I usually do watch the Fox pre and post game stuff. 

Here I was thinking, nah I'll give channel 7 a go and see what they hope to offer with hope that they have improved over the off season. How wrong was I, seriously cringe.

I watched the Fox Footy post game stuff this morning on Kayo and it was far better content. The interview with JVR was great, and majority of the discussions were all footy related.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SPC said:

Still worried about how we handle ground balls in our back half.. we just cannot stop the opposition. 
Wins wallpaper cracks.

Scares the living Shizen outta me, so poor @ groundlevel down there, Salem urgently needed, Langdon needed down there more often, Bowey looseball game is suspect Howes might be answer. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I usually do watch the Fox pre and post game stuff. 

Here I was thinking, nah I'll give channel 7 a go and see what they hope to offer with hope that they have improved over the off season. How wrong was I, seriously cringe.

I watched the Fox Footy post game stuff this morning on Kayo and it was far better content. The interview with JVR was great, and majority of the discussions were all footy related.

Fox FAR greater than 7 in ALL manners 

• Like 5

Sorry if this has been covered on previous pages - but has Selwyn unlocked the secret ingredients of Darren Burgess? We've had barely any injuries this season and we're torching teams in last quarters 6/6 won I'm pretty sure and some of those convincingly. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I’d have to disagree….. the noise from Tigers fans was far greater. 70/30 Tigers is my best guess.

I was up in the nose bleeds close to opposite the mcc area and it was definitely in favour of the dees there.

Tigers supporters were actually lovely people as well, super weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nascent said:

I was up in the nose bleeds close to opposite the mcc area and it was definitely in favour of the dees there.

Tigers supporters were actually lovely people as well, super weird.

Dees 65/35 zero doubt 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1