• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

I like how the differing views about the Anzac / Anzac Eve games are given their space in this thread without being shouted down. 

Our night game against Richmond is a fantastic spectacle. More so than the afternoon game the following day. That said I've always felt that they are little more than well spun cash cows for the AFL (and maybe the RSL?) and not an appropriate way to reflect on what the day is about. The same goes for the week long ANZAC narrative on steroids throughout the football media landscape that competes to out gush each other. Sometimes less really is more. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

7 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

But Lever WAS inside 5m zone behind the mark. He ran up just behind McVee on the mark as the ball was kicked.

It was a howler by Lever, defence 101 brain fart

However, the umpiring in general last night was poor

SA i have seen players asked to "stand" ....stand the mark.  And in an instant leave the mark and run backwards so they can then go to an "outside 5" position instead.

I have seen players asked to stay "outside 5" .... then a second or two later come up to the mark.

In both of those examples, on at least three occasions this season, none of those players were penalised 50 meters "according to the rule book" as they should have been.  The ump conveniently ignored their obvious transgressions and, some would say sensibly others might say against the rules and incorrectly, allowed the game to continue without a 50.

In addition there are multiple breaches of the protected area alongside the player taking the kick that are now rarely called.  These are surely more important transgressions in that this is what the protected zone was brought in for in the first place.  To try and stop oppos preventing the kicker from taking 45 kicks inside / or playing on towards the corridor by encroaching into his lateral space!

Why is that Lever is suddenly pinged for such an obscure / borderline breach to give the Tigers a certain goal when others are breaching on multiple occasions prior yet no penalties are given?

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Demonsterative said:

We are not celebrating a day of defeat, we are celebrating the ANZAC ‘digger’ mentality and spirit

‘Against all odds’ 

It’s not a day of celebration but of remembrance and reflection. I, for one, remember one grandfather who was a stretcher bearer in the trenches during WW1 and whose lungs were wrecked by mustard gas, another grandfather who was wounded in France and had to have daily dressings for the rest of his life and my father who was at Tobruk and Shaggy Ridge in New Guinea and battled PTSD until the day he died.These were courageous, honourable men and deserve to be remembered in perpetuity.

• Like 11
  • Love 4

23 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I don't want you jumping at me again.

What did I do to you?

In your own words from a while ago "sit down".

To those who thumbed you, do you like that kind of "trolling"? @drysdale demon, @Jaded No More, @Hopeful Demon, @Dr. Gonzo, @Rod Grinter Riot Squad.

I can understand protecting Kossie. I don't understand, the attempt to censor an opinion, and to use your bigotry about the mentally fragile, to denigrate me personally.

The longer the season goes without him signing, the more likely it is, that he is on the move.

He does selfish acts. 

Oops, I forgot you don't want me to comment. 

Anyone posting that Kossie mind might be elsewhere triggers @rpfc

I wouldn't take it to heart Kev. We all get on someone's nerves at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't watched the replay.  Can anyone please tell me .... was there an obvious or technical infringement by any MFC player when Fritta took that nice mark about 30 meters out directly in front later in the game?

• Like 2

I don't think the Anzac ceremony is over the top. I think it strikes the right tone, is respectful and dignified. The night setting adds to the solemnity of the occasion. Nothing about the ceremony is tacky or exploitative in my opinion. 

• Love 7

21 hours ago, Spargonicus said:

Hardwick: “we know the kind of football that beats Melbourne, we just needed to execute it for longer”

this is what worries me - sides have worked our main strategy out and we don’t have enough different ways to play…and don’t choke sides out like we used to…

don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying watching our team play strong footy these days, but we’re not our once irresistible selves…

yes he was taliing about the 550-70 metres zone from their goal. That is Melbournes weakness and he is right. they were hitting up shorter passes. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

It’s not a day of celebration but of remembrance and reflection. I, for one, remember one grandfather who was a stretcher bearer in the trenches during WW1 and whose lungs were wrecked by mustard gas, another grandfather who was wounded in France and had to have daily dressings for the rest of his life and my father who was at Tobruk and Shaggy Ridge in New Guinea and battled PTSD until the day he died.These were courageous, honourable men and deserve to be remembered in perpetuity.

I celebrate your family’s, and all servicemen for their sacrifice Chook. Celebration is not just a term for birthdays, NYE etc. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

WHAT !!!!!!!!

We are recognising and honouring men and women who fought, were wounded , were captured , and oh ...gave their lives in the service of their country.

"over the top " - [censored] off !!

Sure, but there are two specific dates we already do that (11/11, 25/4) and the whole theatrics turning it into a propaganda spectacle/barely disguised recruitment drive is over the top. IMO the poor guys who were butchered at Gallipoli and in the trenches of WW1 because of great power politics didn’t die so that 85000 people could get photos of the darkened MCG for their instagram clout. Didn’t mean to derail the thread, but war and the glorification of it absolutely sucks.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

20 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Haven't watched the replay.  Can anyone please tell me .... was there an obvious or technical infringement by any MFC player when Fritta took that nice mark about 30 meters out directly in front later in the game?

Do you mean the mark that Fritta took but was given to a Richmond player with 6.20 on the time clock, towards the end of the second quarter?

It looked like JVR ran into Vlastuin as the pack was forming, hard decision as he had eyes for the ball and that Richmond player didn't, a feather could also have knocked him over fell over.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DutchDemons said:

Sure, but there are two specific dates we already do that (11/11, 25/4) and the whole theatrics turning it into a propaganda spectacle/barely disguised recruitment drive is over the top. IMO the poor guys who were butchered at Gallipoli and in the trenches of WW1 because of great power politics didn’t die so that 85000 people could get photos of the darkened MCG for their instagram clout. Didn’t mean to derail the thread, but war and the glorification of it absolutely sucks.

I would confidently say the vast majority of people going to these games don’t agree with your view 

Great that you have one but you’re in the minority 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, deva5610 said:

No, It's as simple as the protected area also extends to behind the player manning the mark. 5 metres back, 10 metres either side (so in total a box 5m deep x 20m wide).

If an oppo player enters that (unless to stick with one of the other teams players) it's a 50. Same as the rest of the protected area at any other time.

Here's the picture of the protected area again for people that have missed it.

Screenshot2023-04-24205500.thumb.jpg.caab5eeb373494b8a2de4248af7d1fb3.jpg

The "No player can enter this area" is a bit misleading as players of the same team of the player who took the mark CAN enter the protected area. It should say "No player of the opposition can enter this area". I think. I don't know anymore. I've read these rules too many times today and I've confused myself even.

What I do know is that Lever wasn't allowed to. He did and in a way that wasn't subtle.

I imagine the rule was written this way to stop the kicking team using a man to shepherd the man on the mark and prevent him from engaging with the kicker when he plays on. Clarkson's Hawthorn sides were rampant with this. And it probably got generalised to include any player from either team.  The stand rule has significantly reduced the need for the shepherd though.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Spargonicus said:

Hardwick: “we know the kind of football that beats Melbourne, we just needed to execute it for longer”

"How to play the flute: blow in one end and move your fingers up and down on the outside." - Monty Python.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 2

19 minutes ago, DutchDemons said:

I will say you do make some worthwhile observations but can I ask have you actually been to one of these games before?

7 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I’d have to disagree….. the noise from Tigers fans was far greater. 70/30 Tigers is my best guess.

Some varied opinions here. Must be influenced by where you sit.  My guess is if you were in the northern stands you would say it was 60/40 Melbourne’s way. 
I sat in the second level of the Shane Warne stand (and could not see what was in level 4). It appeared to me that we had the numbers in the northern / mcc area but were out numbered in the AFL members area, city end goals  and some sections of the Punt rd goals.

My guess 50 / 50.  It was nice to hear us make some noise this time round (eg Oliver’s goal on siren) Obviously we got noisier as our confidence grew. Well done guys.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

I will say you do make some worthwhile observations but can I ask have you actually been to one of these games before?

Nope I have lived in the Netherlands for the last 13 years so I can only go by what they show on the TV coverage and stuff people post here and on social media.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DutchDemons said:

The modern narrative is to honour the fallen and as you say, "propaganda spectacle/barely disguised recruitment drive".

I always felt the day was about the tragedy and horror of war, and that we should avoid them at all cost. Ask any returned soldier who engaged in active duty, very few would say "do it". Most say "what was it all about".

Doesn't that war in Afghanistan or Iraq show, no good comes of it, except for causing a failed state, allowing war lords into the vacuum and the associated sanctions harming the common person.

The reflection used to be about how war destroys communities and its citizens. The main deaths in war are those trapped in its environs. The armistice was a time we thanked the service people.

I am amazed that it has become all about honouring the military and barely a mention of the futility and suffering. 

It is also the impetus that caused us to mature (Australia and New Zealand). We decided not to allow foreign (British Empire) nations to decide our Troop deployments. The making of an independent Australia. That is why we used to offer ceremony to that defeat in Canakkale (Gallipoli). 

It is amazing how the narrative gets moved by those with vested interests. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IRW said:

2 of those  are likely to get in the Dees way for the 8.

Take your pick

But Fremantle and Richmond who made it last year won't this year and the Dogs are going to find it hard too. Two in two out - the average over the years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DutchDemons said:

My god ..... what a shallow and thoughtless post.

You can spout about the morality of war, the legality of war, the righteousness of war all you like.

The Anzac Day services, memorials or events aren't about that.

They are about recognising ordinary Australians who did extraordinary things and suffered extraordinary hardships in service of their country. It is about honouring plumbers, nurses, schoolteachers, farmers, carpenters etc who did what they had to do ...and more.

And having 85000 people recognise this and be reminded of this can only be a good thing.

Your comment about a "disguised recruitment drive" is distasteful and disrespectful.

I will say no more on the matter.

• Like 8
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

I don't want you jumping at me again.

What did I do to you?

In your own words from a while ago "sit down".

To those who thumbed you, do you like that kind of "trolling"? @drysdale demon, @Jaded No More, @Hopeful Demon, @Dr. Gonzo, @Rod Grinter Riot Squad.

I can understand protecting Kossie. I don't understand, the attempt to censor an opinion, and to use your bigotry about the mentally fragile, to denigrate me personally.

The longer the season goes without him signing, the more likely it is, that he is on the move.

He does selfish acts. 

Oops, I forgot you don't want me to comment. 

People are ‘thumbing’ me? Good lord, I hope they asked first.

You gave your opinion; mendacious at it is and I didn’t say you couldn’t have it did I? 

I said ‘I’ effing hated it and gave some broad base advice about where to keep your neuroses. 

I do find it so very ironic that you took such offence at the perceived slight when you accuse a player of the club we follow of disloyalty and absence of the mind.

• Like 1