Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

Just now, Jaded No More said:

How often have we been seduced by early picks and they’ve amounted to nothing more than good ordinary players. 
To trade the best contested midfielder in the game for speculative picks is a hard sell for me. 
Would need an established player involved. 

The last early pick we had did get us Clayton Oliver.. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Honestly if this club is now shopping semi-publically a once-in-a-generation talent because of 'attitude issues' twelve months after signing him for seven years our list management foresight is laughably bad.

In recent times we have been good at the draft but the decades before that were at best mixed in terms of drafting and at times appallingly bad. Why gamble what is for what might be?

I actually agree, but again — still like the thinking ie lets se what monster offers we can get, as we can always say no. But as morris says below, it’s always been about a bevy of picks with Reid being told months ago we’d do all we could to get him, so maybe it’s Taylor telling Lamb, “Reid could be Clarry’s equal by 2025” & whomever else (likely Duursma) not far off. I just hope we use the other piece to steal Larkey, but that’s a pipe-dream until Mon 2024-2025 I suppose..  

If this doesn’t line up with my original post, well then I don’t know how anyone ever will give you guys a potential scoop. Things evolve, but as I’ve said many times — Taylor is almost ‘Reid or bust’ we are OBSESSED with the boy from Kyabram 

IMG_3390.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Vomit 1

Im not sure Id care if Clarry started smoking bongs in his training breaks. Ill say it until the cows come home - ive supported the Dees since the late 70s and Clarry and Trac are the best mids ive ever seen at the club - you just dont even entertain the idea of trading this type of player unless you are looking at an absolute jet for jet.

Picks are meaningless - just as many are squandered every year as turn out quality and our past track record (pre the current regime) was diabolically bad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just now, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Im not sure Id care if Clarry started smoking bongs in his training breaks. Ill say it until the cows come home - ive supported the Dees since the late 70s and Clarry and Trac are the best mids ive ever seen at the club - you just dont even entertain the idea of trading this type of player unless you are looking at an absolute jet for jet.

Picks are meaningless - just as many are squandered every year as turn out quality and our past track record (pre the current regime) was diabolically bad.

BUT..

pre Taylor picks VS POST Taylor picks are two VERY diff things, he literally has not missed ONCE with top picks, inc many that were against the grain… 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He might turn out alright. Would you trade him for Clarry tho? 

No but it shows that Jason Taylor still has a good eye for talent. Then it's also taking Kozzie at Pick 12 as well.

Most on this page and on trade radio 48 hours ago were telling us that the club would not be big traders and would focus on our youth and perhaps top up with the draft.

Well it appears that has certainly changed. 

Does this mean that if Reid is the absolute target we are moving towards a semi rebuild? Clearly Max and May will be twilighting by the time he is good enough?

• Thinking 2

7 hours ago, deespicable me said:

Well Clarries second half of the year was his poorest on record (in my opinion) and against a sensational last 4 years of great years. His return from injury and finals were underwhelming and I thought one of Goodwins tasks during the off season was to not only change the game plan or focus of our chaos ball attack, but to get Clarrie to buy in and get re-energised within the team. Not necessarily an easy thing to do.

Add to that Yze going, who the midfield team apparently loved and theres plenty of space for clubs and journos to see a chance of jamming a wedge into our fragile team ethos after straight set double exits. We can be guaranteed these sort of stories continuing to be shoved down our throat, just as sure as the feelgood stories will continue for the next 12 odd months about Collingwood. It will be MFC who will be held to account for Brayshaws concussion issues, not football hero Maynard. 

Finally Oliver has yet to become an adult. He might be off-side.

These are big issues for us going forward and Kate Roffey through to Goodwin and Max and the whole playing list need to spend time and energy healing, re-focussing and uniting into a strong and driven club. We are in for a wild off season.

Whether it's an unfounded rumour or not, it's our response that will count.  

Oh, come on!!!

laughing-office.gif

20 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Stepping this out a little, if we nabbed 2 & 3, we could probably still trade for Reid whilst retaining p3. Could a Reid/Duursma double be on the wish list?

That was my first thought if this actually eventuated.

Pick 2 and 5 for 1 -> Reid

Pick 3 -> Duursma or key forward if we can entice one

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No but it shows that Jason Taylor still has a good eye for talent. Then it's also taking Kozzie at Pick 12 as well.

No doubt Jason Taylor is a gun recruiter. I don’t doubt for a minute he will do well with any picks he’s given. But it’s still all a lottery.

History has shown us that many highly rated juniors go on to have average careers. 
You absolutely cannot guarantee that any player drafted this year will be as good or better than Clarry. Very few first round picks since his draft have achieved what he has in terms of accolades. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

and Trent Rivers in the 30's who could well end up one of the best players out of that draft. his record is incredible especially with later picks

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He might turn out alright. Would you trade him for Clarry tho? 

If Jesus reincarnated and presented in the draft, I wouldn’t be trading Clarry to bring him in

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

No doubt Jason Taylor is a gun recruiter. I don’t doubt for a minute he will do well with any picks he’s given. But it’s still all a lottery.

History has shown us that many highly rated juniors go on to have average careers. 
You absolutely cannot guarantee that any player drafted this year will be as good or better than Clarry. Very few first round picks since his draft have achieved what he has in terms of accolades. 

Totally agree!

I remember reading how talented and impactful players like Toumpas, Tapscott and Lucas Cook would be. Other recruiters rated the first two. But reality turned out different 

7 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

and Trent Rivers in the 30's who could well end up one of the best players out of that draft. his record is incredible especially with later picks

He also drafted Weid

He is a great recruiter but drafting is an imperfect science. 

• Like 8
  • Clap 2

50 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

How often have we been seduced by early picks and they’ve amounted to nothing more than good ordinary players. 
To trade the best contested midfielder in the game for speculative picks is a hard sell for me. 
Would need an established player involved. 

Agree.

With depth players, JJ, Dunstan and Harmes going and then to lose Clarry, would leave us with a pretty skeleton mid field.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He also drafted Weid

He is a great recruiter but drafting is an imperfect science. 

He's actually not got a good record with taller or key position players at all. Petty the only pick he's nailed in that department. 

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Agree.

With depth players, JJ, Dunstan and Harmes going and then to lose Clarry, would leave us with a pretty skeleton mid field.

And we have no idea if Gus is going to play on or not. 
A midfield sans Clarry and Gus is no more than a middle of the road midfield. It isn’t winning you flags.

• Clap 1